Help with my light, found a melted wire

MDK

Strain Encyclopedia
Reaction score
Been having issues with my light for a while, today i gave it a look over and noticed melted plastic where all the bars plug in. It only appears to be one cable from what I can tell, going to take it down at lights off

20230923_202817.jpg

Couple questions.

1) can I just unplug this bar and use the light to keep my plants going til I can get it replaced?

2) is this repairable? I dabble with electronics and some soldering...could the connector be replaced or is this indicative of larger issues inside the driver?

Appreciate it

Those lights actually look pretty dope for the price Samsung diodes and meanwell drivers...nice

This light is some cheap Amazon light my buddy gave me. Updayday is brand and the model I got isn't even being sold anymore. It wasn't super cheap or expensive when he got it but the new ones from same brand are super cheap (as they should be for quality). He got me onto growing spending all sorts of money to go with my free light but I knew I should have bought something better along the way, life just got me caught up and broke. So my buddy ordered the light it was "delivered" and when he got home he had no light. He called amazon griped and got them to send him another one. 2 days later one shows up, another 2 or 3 days later another showed up. Since then, he sold all his grow stuff. Probably smart on his part the reviews on the lights leave alot to be desired.
Yes that's not a bad price for that either

So I figured it out a bit...viparspectra offers a limited warranty for components and stuff, so i went with Assurion. Assurion will send me out a gift card or some form of credit for the total of my purchase. The light was 379.99 with 6.99 shipping and 60.99 3 year protection...so about 460 and they cover me for 450....so the assurion if I have to use it will basically almost cover itself too in the cost....only out like 10 bucks if I have any issue in next 3 years.

Went with the ks5000...supposed to get here on the 27th...put my stove on hold but the wife n kids can wait 😂🤣😬
Only issue with the ks3000 so far for me is, I wish it was the KS5000.

Only issue with the ks3000 so far for me is, I wish it was the KS5000.
Runs cool so far no extra heat in the tent my other light didn't put off so that's good. Using the books recommended 26 inch hang height. We shall see. So far seems real nice, less red in this light tho I can tell ya that.

I'm honestly impressed with what you are doing with the 3000. I can't wait to see if you get your 420 cups in there under that light....still planning a big solo cup run?

Yea I think that's the main downside to running some smaller lights chained vs a big bar light....heat dissipation.

I think I read the board style leds tend to be hotter....so I could see that being a little bit of an issue. So I went with a big light again....it was just priced better...5 100w boards was gonna run me up about another $140

You make your own cobs roots?
Naw! Almost cut off my hand. Don't need to electrocute myself too.😄

...still planning a big solo cup run?

I may not use the ks3000 though I'll probably put it in a veg tent when I can do the 420 solo run.

Be easier to use my 4black panels and add the other panels to it.

My 4 black panels are 600watts and that keeps the spectrum the same, if needed i could easily put the SF2000 in there and the 2 other older LEDs I have, for 1470~watts.

But I need to go vertical/racks/platform mid way to do the extra 210 so I'd have to rig lights for the top and bottom, I'd need more of the same kind for uniformity.

I don't see how I would set up auto-watering for 420 solo cups in a 5x5 space so a drip is out of the question, so i would probably be hand watering.

id have to keep to a schedule to do high-freq-fert and literally using a syringe to accurately water each and every single one for proper run offs and E.C management and dry back and moisture control, all that jazz.

And then draining top and bottom?

That's another beast, and then the weight from the watering event for the top half? -if I flood and drain.

Need a sturdy rack lol, I would probably run 5 gallons at bottom and 5 at top if not up to 20gallons+ a day once flower hits, for optimum.

And 420 regular seeds or 420 feminized seeds? That sounds expensive, I suppose I could get colloidal silver and make my own fems.

Or I take 420 clones, but I need that apical dominance to be there like it is from a seed.

@MDK

I may not use the ks3000 though I'll probably put it in a veg tent when I can do the 420 solo run.

Be easier to use my 4black panels and add the other panels to it.

My 4 black panels are 600watts and that keeps the spectrum the same, if needed i could easily put the SF2000 in there and the 2 other older LEDs I have, for 1470~watts.

But I need to go vertical/racks/platform mid way to do the extra 210 so I'd have to rig lights for the top and bottom, I'd need more of the same kind for uniformity.

I don't see how I would set up auto-watering for 420 solo cups in a 5x5 space so a drip is out of the question, so i would probably be hand watering.

id have to keep to a schedule to do high-freq-fert and literally using a syringe to accurately water each and every single one for proper run offs and E.C management and dry back and moisture control, all that jazz.

And then draining top and bottom?

That's another beast, and then the weight from the watering event for the top half? -if I flood and drain.

Need a sturdy rack lol, I would probably run 5 gallons at bottom and 5 at top if not up to 20gallons+ a day once flower hits, for optimum.

And 420 regular seeds or 420 feminized seeds? That sounds expensive, I suppose I could get colloidal silver and make my own fems.

Or I take 420 clones, but I need that apical dominance to be there like it is from a seed.

@MDK
Hey @Observer idk how you do it but I find it to be some of the most visually pleasing grow images I've ever seen.

I find watering a couple times a week to be a chore. Hand watering with a syringe my my I strive for your patience. I wonder if you could do it with soil to slow the dry backs and cut back the watering?

Now I'm getting ideas, voices telling me to just do a 100 solo cups start small 🤣😂🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hey @Observer idk how you do it but I find it to be some of the most visually pleasing grow images I've ever seen.

I find watering a couple times a week to be a chore. Hand watering with a syringe my my I strive for your patience. I wonder if you could do it with soil to slow the dry backs and cut back the watering?

Now I'm getting ideas, voices telling me to just do a 100 solo cups start small 🤣😂🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Indeed, I'm not even a patient person either at all, it's just "not work if you enjoy it" type thing, all though it does get repetitive.

They are only supposed to be 3-4month grows anyways too.

1month veg or less and then 2mo flower.

I posted some more pics of it on my thread.

It does look fuckin cool, about half of why I like to do it too.

I am itching to do it again just need the supplies and gear

Back
Top Bottom