Personal choice for smoke: grinder or breakup by hand?

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
I cracked open my first bud sometime back in the late 70s (late 76 or early 77), I never had a grinder.
Whether rolling a joint or packing a pipe/bong, we just broke up the stickies with our fingers.

Once grinders were employed, it seemed like a game changer, but is it? At least when a pipe is considered?

I usually pack my pipe lightly, never filling the bowl because it can hold enough for me to hit on for a long time and only the first hit or two taste good.
However, if I take a bud and break it up roughly by hand it seems to slowly release terpenes longer so multiple hits on the same bowl still taste good, first to last.

Anyone else find the same or did I pack my pipe too many times already this morning?

We went yo the first cannabis cup in Colorado in 2013.
From some of the exhibits they would toss out these green plastic grinders with a nug in them. We were standing there waiting waiting for them to toss some more and this 20 something yo kid bent down and hands it to my then 57 year old wife. Nice kid! Using it to this day.

20230806_075336.jpg

I find grinded pot better beginning to end.
Makes for nice bong hits, but I mostly roll joints.
Can't imagine rolling without a grinder.
It's the daily grind I truly enjoy~! 🥴

From some of the exhibits they would toss out these green plastic grinders with a nug in them. We were standing there waiting waiting for them to toss some more and this 20 something yo kid bent down and hands it to my then 57 year old wife. Nice kid! Using it to this day.

View attachment 16691
If you happened to see a dude at the event dressed as "weed jesus" I know that dude lol...he got featured in some articles. Had a "crown of thorns" he wore that was really dried poison ivy 😬

Sometimes weed is even too sticky to go thru a grinder - I could not imagine life with out a grind in 2023! Until the late 80’s we smoked Mexican brick weed which was dry as fuck and broke up by hand easily -not the case today

Sometimes weed is even too sticky to go thru a grinder - I could not imagine life with out a grind in 2023! Until the late 80’s we smoked Mexican brick weed which was dry as fuck and broke up by hand easily -not the case today
Smoked that shit up into the 2000s (early 2000s lol) it was hard to get dank consistently until around 2004ish for me

I wore my first grinder out, aluminum but a tooth broke off. Now I have one that collects kief.

I smoke from a bat as it really helps stretch the weed. Added an o-ring to downpipe and it works great from a bong. Gotta grind it up or just plugs. Controlling the humidity is key too wet and it just sticks too dry and you end up with powder.

View attachment 16691
I've used the same cheap ass acrylic grinders for years and none have failed me so I keep on buying them.

Grinders.jpg

I was visiting a friend in Phoenix and he had one of these grinders. He ground up some nugs and was dumping the grind into a rolling tray spilling shit everywhere and just generally making a mess of it. I showed him a trick that an oldtimer showed me. Once you're done grinding you flip one side over so that the smooth side is facing the grinder teeth and flip the whole thing over onto a table and slam it on the tabel top. Lift the one side off the other and now the weed you ground should be sitting on top of the smooth side of the grinder like a little holder. The excess that lands on the table top you can slide off the edge of the table into the grinder top and you now have somewhere to keep all your ground weed safe without it going everywhere.
grind a.jpggrind b.jpggrind c.jpggrind d.jpggrind e.jpggrind f.jpggrind g.jpg

My stoner ass just discovered grinders several years ago and haven’t looked back.
Usually use this

If it's some really good bud I like, and don't have a lot of it, i'll pull it apart by hand

IMO, "good" (or, "properly" dried/cured) bud" shouldn't "break" or "crack"

Attachments

• 16988317766427870355311157870304.jpg
    16988317766427870355311157870304.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Ive always used a grinder since i bought my first one in highschool lol.

When i first started smoking and didnt have a grinder i went to the dollar store, bought a pair of cuticle scissors and snagged a shot glass from my parents liquor cabinet. Place bud in shot glass and snip, snip, snip, until perfect lol.

Grinders are so much easier.

I use grinder for joints and bongs, but break up into little chunks for bowl. I like it like that, smaller hits and the it burns slow and seems to last a little longer in bowl

Right now I'm looking around for a hash hammer or something else to smoke hash out of better than what I'm doin

Ive always used a grinder since i bought my first one in highschool lol.

When i first started smoking and didnt have a grinder i went to the dollar store, bought a pair of cuticle scissors and snagged a shot glass from my parents liquor cabinet. Place bud in shot glass and snip, snip, snip, until perfect lol.

Grinders are so much easier.
Me neither..still don’t lol…snip snip snip snip 😃

I used scissors until I joined the Farm and saw you guys using grinders, Well if that's what the kids are using I'll giver a try. Great weed that was uniformly cut and smokes great but my fking wrist hurt someone said coffee grinders work.....Now were talking wtf is with grinders? they're small the clog, the can be hard to get back together again the fine threads don't line up easily they're a pain in the ass. Coffee grinders for the win. They're close to the same price, I've seen the good hand grinders for $50 wtf I could get 2 coffee grinders for that price my Suewow was under $30 identical to this amzon screen shot1698853258904.png

depends on the bud structure and quality. for indica leaning stuff, a grinder 100%. they typically aren't packed with paper killers like sativa dom stuff is. for real heavy sativa leaning buds, it's all about the hand work. i'm sure plenty of y'all have enjoyed the process of trying to fish out every 1/4" long needle sharp stem from a pile of herb, waiting to punch a hole in your rolling paper lol

I used scissors until I joined the Farm and saw you guys using grinders, Well if that's what the kids are using I'll giver a try. Great weed that was uniformly cut and smokes great but my fking wrist hurt someone said coffee grinders work.....Now were talking wtf is with grinders? they're small the clog, the can be hard to get back together again the fine threads don't line up easily they're a pain in the ass. Coffee grinders for the win. They're close to the same price, I've seen the good hand grinders for $50 wtf I could get 2 coffee grinders for that price my Suewow was under $30 identical to this amzon screen shotView attachment 27925
I have a coffee grinder too learning curve

depends on the bud structure and quality. for indica leaning stuff, a grinder 100%. they typically aren't packed with paper killers like sativa dom stuff is. for real heavy sativa leaning buds, it's all about the hand work. i'm sure plenty of y'all have enjoyed the process of trying to fish out every 1/4" long needle sharp stem from a pile of herb, waiting to punch a hole in your rolling paper lol
You know until you said this I hadn't put 2 + 2 together. Ive been switching between SourD and QCblue and the sour D has been pissing me off when rolling my chopped weed, I have to sift through carefully making sure I've got the sticks out. I'm also stripping it before I put it into my grinder now to prevent the sticks in the first place

An old thing we used to sing. went something like...No stick or seeds that we don't need Acapulco Gold is groovy weed....I think we were like 16 -17 listening to Country Joe and the Fish

Used fingers, a pill bottle with scissors, coffee grinder, something that looked like a pencil sharpener, and one or two other things before finding hand grinders.

Only real difference I noticed was grinders with keif catchers change the taste/effects.

WHAT I smoke it with makes most or all the taste difference. A wooden or good glass pipe is best for me.

I used to use grinders often until I started growing my own bud, which tends to come out easy to break up by hand. So for me now it depends on the bud. If it's easy to pull small pieces off and retain trichomes, then I do that since I find the flavor better. But if I have some tuff or stringy weed I'll use a grinder.

I bought some head shop weed a month or so ago when I ran out and was desperate. Stuff was like rocks - grinder necessary.

About to buy a coffee grinder cause in the last 2 years ive gone through like 6 or 7 hand grinders 😲😳
And theyre adding up
I've had my 3" Mendo Mulcher brand grander for almost 10 years...

It'll fit over an 8th ground up and does a fantastic job.

Back
Top Bottom