tobh

Royale with Cheese
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, this feels like a dumb question to be asking, but I've never used this type of light before. The previous owners of the house I just moved into left behind a 24W sunblaster T5HO. I plan on using this for starting seedlings, but am not sure how high over the seedlings to burn this thing. The PPFD readings I'm getting from the app on my phone are all over the place (as to be expected with a non-dedicated measuring device).

Any recommendations?

yeah i've been looking at the apogee for a while, but footing $500 for a tool that's going to be used maybe every couple months doesn't really add up for me just yet. maybe once the room is built and i have multiple systems + crops going it'll be more justifiable.

I'm kinda lookin at T5s as well, assuming thr T5HO is really the only way to go....but wondering if the lower watt lower output "T5's" are worth a shit...I'm a broke ass these days lol

I had a post about a seedling light you can find in questions section that had a lot of good help with T5 info...others were showing their t5s handling veg even

I'm kinda lookin at T5s as well, assuming thr T5HO is really the only way to go....but wondering if the lower watt lower output "T5's" are worth a shit...I'm a broke ass these days lol

I had a post about a seedling light you can find in questions section that had a lot of good help with T5 info...others were showing their t5s handling veg even
i was reading that one before posting this thread. probably should've just hijacked that as there wasn't a lot regarding height, just viability. it's pretty cool to see how cheap T5s have become, they used to be comparable in price to Gavita DE CMH for the larger ones. Now they're on par with cheaper LEDs in terms of price.

i was reading that one before posting this thread. probably should've just hijacked that as there wasn't a lot regarding height, just viability. it's pretty cool to see how cheap T5s have become, they used to be comparable in price to Gavita DE CMH for the larger ones. Now they're on par with cheaper LEDs in terms of price.
The little 2 bulb ballasts they sell have me interested then I see the 8 bulb ballasts and the price on them and just kinda figure why not just get a cheap LED at that point...coverage is my main thing I'm trying to light up 4x4 or bigger space without drawing massive watts...I'm running out of amps in my area I can grow so I'm trying to make it work

I guess to be clear I'm lookin at the 2 bar ballasts hoping I can spread them out a little further than the 8 bulbs are spread apart....maybe it's not possible due to the type of light it is idk...just trying to figure it out myself lol

Last edited:
The little 2 bulb ballasts they sell have me interested then I see the 8 bulb ballasts and the price on them and just kinda figure why not just get a cheap LED at that point...coverage is my main thing I'm trying to light up 4x4 or bigger space without drawing massive watts...I'm running out of amps in my area I can grow so I'm trying to make it work
you might've mentioned in the other thread, but how many amps are you running currently?

i went a bit overboard in my tent but can run 720 true watts with six QB boards in my 4x4. It's a bit more than necessary but with the extra wattage available it means i'm driving the ballasts and diodes below max capacity for nearly the entire grow. TBH what i paid for em I could've spent a couple hundred more and got a HLG or gavita LED setup sized for the space but i added new boards every couple runs to get to where I'm at now.

just have to be mindful when running the dehumidifier on the same circuit as that's where I start approaching the max 15 amp circuits with a GFCI will accommodate. Plus, it's not exactly advised to run a dehumidifier on the same circuit. Ideally try to avoid exceeding 75% capacity on a single circuit, and always run on a GFCI protected circuit for the extra protection to the breaker and potential liquid mishaps.

EDIT: the price went up a little on these, but this is what I run https://www.amazon.com/EnFun-Consumes-Hydroponics-Greenhouse-Commercial/dp/B084LYX17Y . 3 sets with the ballasts tuned to draw the full 240w @ 100% on the pot using a killawatt meter.

Last edited:
you might've mentioned in the other thread, but how many amps are you running currently?

i went a bit overboard in my tent but can run 720 true watts with six QB boards in my 4x4. It's a bit more than necessary but with the extra wattage available it means i'm driving the ballasts and diodes below max capacity for nearly the entire grow. TBH what i paid for em I could've spent a couple hundred more and got a HLG or gavita LED setup sized for the space but i added new boards every couple runs to get to where I'm at now.

just have to be mindful when running the dehumidifier on the same circuit as that's where I start approaching the max 15 amp circuits with a GFCI will accommodate. Plus, it's not exactly advised to run a dehumidifier on the same circuit. Ideally try to avoid exceeding 75% capacity on a single circuit, and always run on a GFCI protected circuit for the extra protection to the breaker and potential liquid mishaps.
I was running light and dehumidifier on same circuit but that was about it 500w lights and I can't remember on dehumidifier I was drawing around 9 or 10 amps. Toward end of grow though I got dialed in with my exhaust a bit better to where I could use it during the day and it'd maintain my humidity, then at lights out when it spiked I started running the dehumidifier. I like it that way better than having the dehumidifier kicking on and off all day. Next grow will probably be different story that's how it goes

I was running light and dehumidifier on same circuit but that was about it 500w lights and I can't remember on dehumidifier I was drawing around 9 or 10 amps. Toward end of grow though I got dialed in with my exhaust a bit better to where I could use it during the day and it'd maintain my humidity, then at lights out when it spiked I started running the dehumidifier. I like it that way better than having the dehumidifier kicking on and off all day. Next grow will probably be different story that's how it goes
yeah you're bumping up against that 75% limit already. an additional 240w will put you at 12 total amps, which is still within reason but it's at the very top end (80%) of recommended amp draw on a 15amp circuit.

Alright, this feels like a dumb question to be asking, but I've never used this type of light before. The previous owners of the house I just moved into left behind a 24W sunblaster T5HO. I plan on using this for starting seedlings, but am not sure how high over the seedlings to burn this thing. The PPFD readings I'm getting from the app on my phone are all over the place (as to be expected with a non-dedicated measuring device).

Any recommendations?
I run 4x24watt t5ho’s 9-10’ away these are 2ft ones.used em for 2-3 yrs now and run them till day 15-18..they work pretty good specially through summer time .winters a different story.I either run a white ceramic 150 watt heater or me tube 200watt heater..

Last edited:

Any recommendations?
Its all I use in veg and I can veg with them for months. I start with them 2ft away but as they grow & by 3 weeks I can have them within 2" of my plants. I've a 6 tube 4ft, a 4ft -2 tube a 2ft 2 tube & a 4 ft single I hang as side lighting. The trick right now is finding new replacement tubes for less than the fixture costs up here in Canada.

I like the T5's for the heat they provide in the winter and that you can have the light within 1/2" without burning the leaves, they only burn when they touch the lamps. There was a time I could get blue T5 and I mixed them in with the others to help keep my girls short but they were expensive.

Back
Top Bottom