Watering soil

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
I'm currently waiting on processing my seeds to go into soil. I've already prepped the soil in their pots and they are sitting in the tent waiting for the transplant. While they've been in there the soil is drying up.

Should I keep the soil moist to maintain whatever fungal and bacterial colonies that are naturally occurring or just wait until I'm ready to transplant the sprouts and water then? Watering will also keep the soil from going hydrophobic.

When I transplant I pre wet my soil mix in a large tub so its all damp but not saturated then add the soil to my pot with a pre made hole mold lined with mycos. Transplant then water or feed depending on my cycle to seat the plant into her new home. Letting the soil dry in the pot and compact by re wetting then transplant into it isn't a good idea imho. I'd suggest dump it out, re mix and fluff your soil then transplant.

I use a spray bottle to just keep things damp if I can’t finish in one shot. New to things like Dynomyco so I don’t use it often but I did use it on this grow.
Yeah moist

Light mist, aerosol is great.

The microbes would just go dormant till water level is sufficient for activity, and would resume.

And good point about hydrophobia.

I'd keep it lightly moist at least.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with @Pipecarver suggestion and let it stay dry for now. He makes a good point about soil compaction. I haven't wet them since I filled the pots so no compaction has occurred through wetting the soil but I'll wait until they are ready, dampen the soil a little, plant them then water them in so that whatever air pockets there may be can get filled in when the soil compacts with the watering.

When I transplant I pre wet my soil mix in a large tub so its all damp but not saturated then add the soil to my pot with a pre made hole mold lined with mycos. Transplant then water or feed depending on my cycle to seat the plant into her new home. Letting the soil dry in the pot and compact by re wetting then transplant into it isn't a good idea imho. I'd suggest dump it out, re mix and fluff your soil then transplant.
yea either leave it dry, or keep it lightly moist the whole time till ready (?)

Back
Top Bottom