⚡Electrical Help Thread⚡

Canadian tire ( spit) is on my shit list, My ass won't grace their stores again. I'm spiteful like that, piss me off and my money goes elsewhere and they pissed me off. They also killed watching hockey on TV, non stop the same mindless ads. fkem, this boy is cotting them.
Same way about Best Buy here in US.
They will never see another penny of mine.
Never, I am like that also.

just to clarify, @tobh please don't use this type of connector for your application..

1725544593414-png.71673

crimps work okay for stranded wire but not solid wire. these types are better used for automotive and other low voltage applications.

thats another reason i like wago so much you can connect a stranded wire to a solid wire much better than a wire nut. a lot of times chandelier lights and similar will have stranded wires that need to be connected to your 12/2

just to clarify, @tobh please don't use this type of connector for your application..

1725544593414-png.71673

crimps work okay for stranded wire but not solid wire. these types are better used for automotive and other low voltage applications.

thats another reason i like wago so much you can connect a stranded wire to a solid wire much better than a wire nut. a lot of times chandelier lights and similar will have stranded wires that need to be connected to your 12/2
haha yeah, i had zero intentions of using those type connectors. I use those in automotive, not for solid wire work. I wouldn't trust the metal to handle the amperage on those if, for whatever reason, a load decided to nuke itself and pull all the amps it could but not enough to trip the breaker.

haha yeah, i had zero intentions of using those type connectors. I use those in automotive, not for solid wire work. I wouldn't trust the metal to handle the amperage on those if, for whatever reason, a load decided to nuke itself and pull all the amps it could but not enough to trip the breaker.

just making sure man!! i bet they'd look appetizing to save room in an outlet box and i know Pipecarver and Zen weren't suggesting them for that application but i just wanted to make sure it was said out loud!! :D

Canadian tire ( spit) is on my shit list, My ass won't grace their stores again. I'm spiteful like that, piss me off and my money goes elsewhere and they pissed me off. They also killed watching hockey on TV, non stop the same mindless ads. fkem, this boy is cotting them.

I’ve had stores piss me off. Walmart and Costco. Canadian Tires gone real cheap and shitty since the US bought it. Trying to be another Walmart. 🤦

One or two CT I won’t shop at but I don’t punish the whole chain over a single store.

Costco can suck it. Making you line up to leave the store after you pay? IDTS. I just walk past the line.

Assuming everyone is a thief and having someone run through your just purchased items is BS.

Any real shoplifter is already set to get away with it anyway.

just making sure man!! i bet they'd look appetizing to save room in an outlet box and i know Pipecarver and Zen weren't suggesting them for that application but i just wanted to make sure it was said out loud!! :D
Ya, no. I think aluminum wire is a stupid idea too.

I solder for stranded wires if it’s permanent or important when using splices.

You are right of course, not sure what I was thinking, They won't crimp at all...oops bad pipecarver. shit I'm getting old. I worked in a ship yard for years back in the 80's we used Marr's to use in splices. Not Marretts or wire nuts, they're good on stranded or solid wire for power & lighting. All of the control panel & low voltage stuff was done crimp connectors

those stay cons and bullets get used in industry all the time. even with 100 and 220.. stereos old tvs appliances.. mostly insulated ones and rated for the application but i see those kind of connectors in all kinds of stuff. but yea mostly stranded wires. it wouldn't surprise me if one day i opened an outlet and saw some, all kinds of crazy stuff out there you wouldn't believe.

those stay cons and bullets get used in industry all the time. even with 100 and 220.. stereos old tvs appliances.. mostly insulated ones and rated for the application but i see those kind of connectors in all kinds of stuff. but yea mostly stranded wires. it wouldn't surprise me if one day i opened an outlet and saw some, all kinds of crazy stuff out there you wouldn't believe.
A lot of the 480v motors that I've replaced at my new job come from the factory with the bladed terminals. All our tray-cable is stranded and those crimps are rated for the same amperage of the wire size that they accept.

I was pretty surprised to see no terminal screws inside the peckerheads, that's for sure.

A lot of the 480v motors that I've replaced

480,,, damn thats some serious lock out tag out shit right there!!! i'd be keeping that key in my shorts!!! :LOL:

do you have to crimp those? with those power crimpers? some of those battery op ones they have now are pretty mean!!

480,,, damn thats some serious lock out tag out shit right there!!! i'd be keeping that key in my shorts!!! :LOL:

do you have to crimp those? with those power crimpers? some of those battery op ones they have now are pretty mean!!
Still pretty low amperage for the most part. 30 amps are the only ones I've seen that the crimps were needed. We use a nice pair of ratcheting crimps that release when the proper crimp is made.

Our big motors are 4160v and we've only got 6 of those. The rest of the motors are 480v at 100 amps max. Big motors but not our BIG motors.

Still pretty low amperage for the most part. 30 amps are the only ones I've seen that the crimps were needed. We use a nice pair of ratcheting crimps that release when the proper crimp is made.

Our big motors are 4160v and we've only got 6 of those. The rest of the motors are 480v at 100 amps max. Big motors but not our BIG motors.

damn, 4K thats what my tv is!! :ROFLMAO: impressive voltage though. i can't even imagine how fast those molecules are bouncing around at!!!

i used to crimp 2awg lugs with a three foot ratchet crimper. tuck one handle in your hip and grab on to the other with both hands!!! that was in my 20's right out school.

I’ve had stores piss me off. Walmart and Costco. Canadian Tires gone real cheap and shitty since the US bought it. Trying to be another Walmart. 🤦

One or two CT I won’t shop at but I don’t punish the whole chain over a single store.

Costco can suck it. Making you line up to leave the store after you pay? IDTS. I just walk past the line.

Assuming everyone is a thief and having someone run through your just purchased items is BS.

Any real shoplifter is already set to get away with it anyway.
That's why I only order off Costco's website now. That and I absolutely detest the stores. I have enough chaos in my life, I'm not voluntarily walking into a mad house.
Ya, no. I think aluminum wire is a stupid idea too.

I solder for stranded wires if it’s permanent or important when using splices.
Agree. The fact aluminum wire is still a thing blows my mind. I get that it's cheap but its melting point is so low, it seems like the safety factor should be more relevant. Rather a fuse or circuit breaker be the safety, not the wire itself lol

That's why I only order off Costco's website now. That and I absolutely detest the stores. I have enough chaos in my life, I'm not voluntarily walking into a mad house.

Agree. The fact aluminum wire is still a thing blows my mind. I get that it's cheap but its melting point is so low, it seems like the safety factor should be more relevant. Rather a fuse or circuit breaker be the safety, not the wire itself lol
I installed a lot of aluminum wire in high rises back in the 70's, Light weight easy to pack on rolls compared to copper. I think the problem with it was workmanship. It needs to be handled and stripped with proper tools, nick it and it has a weak point and shit happens during splicing, it needed penetrox??? a gooey grey substance on all splices before the cap / wire nut went on. and its still used in large conductors, copper is so hard to bend into panels and onto lugs, aluminum was a lot easier to man handle.

damn, 4K thats what my tv is!! :ROFLMAO: impressive voltage though. i can't even imagine how fast those molecules are bouncing around at!!!

i used to crimp 2awg lugs with a three foot ratchet crimper. tuck one handle in your hip and grab on to the other with both hands!!! that was in my 20's right out school.

I got hired right out of high school. Clerk of works and draftsman. Later became the electrical estimator.

The crimps for stranded 500mcm will go on my pinky fingers. Some are strait through and others are for terminations like on car batteries.

I don’t recall how bus bars are connected? Like on a 90*. All I can picture is the floating braided cables like for grounding. The rest gets bolted down in ladder tray.

Been a long time.

Funny thing is…technically speaking…rod and post is safer. The wires were spaced far enough apart you couldn’t bridge them accidentally. Even if the insulation was eaten away.

But aluminum wire could have a kink from being bent and have a weak spot hidden in the run, waiting to melt. I’ve seen a few new lights fixtures with stranded aluminum wiring. Not impressed. 😒

I installed a lot of aluminum wire in high rises back in the 70's, Light weight easy to pack on rolls compared to copper. I think the problem with it was workmanship. It needs to be handled and stripped with proper tools, nick it and it has a weak point and shit happens during splicing, it needed penetrox??? a gooey grey substance on all splices before the cap / wire nut went on. and its still used in large conductors, copper is so hard to bend into panels and onto lugs, aluminum was a lot easier to man handle.

I don’t remember the grey goo 🤔
But I was kid.

Back
Top Bottom