All things shrooms

I misunderstood, ignore my last reply. I started from spore print and went to agar. Did some isolation based on mycelium then went to fruit. I actually struggled to get fruit after a fuck ton of agar work and using about out 20 different isolates. I think 3/20 fruited and then yes i cloned those.

Since then i fucking hate pan cyans lol. So much work into getting a low yielding small non cluster strain that was contam prone (which because of media all pretty much are)

I also was the one that gave spores lab theirs that they isolated. I did not have a chance to grow their isolate before the guy i gave it too was gone. He did gove me stome freebees before he left but that deal is dead now because he is gone.

I wish you luch in the pan cyans brother… hated those fucking things. So much work for very small return
all the reading i've done recommends not trying to isolate from initial spores on agar. Basically, only transfer once, maybe twice to get a clean culture, let that culture develop on the plate, then use that to go to grain specifically because of the incredible difficulty of getting a fruiting isolate through transfers. Then, once you spawn, clones are the sure fire way to ensure you're working with fruiting strains. Similar to APE, where trying to isolate on agar before fruiting is a crapshoot since you're more likely to either isolate a non-fruiting culture or one that only produces blobs. Gotta clone the fruit body to ensure your culture produces fruit bodies.

Appreciate the well wishes, gonna need em. It's definitely a venture that has been on the bucket list for 20 years, and I'm hoping the techniques I learn will be applicable in other, more difficult to cultivate varieties. Like, eventually I want to try my hand at morels again. The commercial producers of those are insanely tight lipped about their substrates and cultivation practices, though, because of how difficult they are to produce in a controlled setting. I imagine some, or most of the techniques, will be equally applicable to those of pan cyans.

all the reading i've done recommends not trying to isolate from initial spores on agar. Basically, only transfer once, maybe twice to get a clean culture, let that culture develop on the plate, then use that to go to grain specifically because of the incredible difficulty of getting a fruiting isolate through transfers. Then, once you spawn, clones are the sure fire way to ensure you're working with fruiting strains. Similar to APE, where trying to isolate on agar before fruiting is a crapshoot since you're more likely to either isolate a non-fruiting culture or one that only produces blobs. Gotta clone the fruit body to ensure your culture produces fruit bodies.

Appreciate the well wishes, gonna need em. It's definitely a venture that has been on the bucket list for 20 years, and I'm hoping the techniques I learn will be applicable in other, more difficult to cultivate varieties. Like, eventually I want to try my hand at morels again. The commercial producers of those are insanely tight lipped about their substrates and cultivation practices, though, because of how difficult they are to produce in a controlled setting. I imagine some, or most of the techniques, will be equally applicable to those of pan cyans.
Ooof i wish i knew that then. It was very frustrating but as i say i learned a shit ton from it.

Hopefully in a year or so im at a place where i can justify the extra expenses to remake and purchase the equipment needed. Then give a fee things a deeper go.

I doubt pan cyans though as they are already dead to me lol.

Ooof i wish i knew that then. It was very frustrating but as i say i learned a shit ton from it.

Hopefully in a year or so im at a place where i can justify the extra expenses to remake and purchase the equipment needed. Then give a fee things a deeper go.

I doubt pan cyans though as they are already dead to me lol.
Would be cool to see you work them again. I've spent hours and hours reading and re-reading the pan cyan thread on shroomery, as well as the agar thread. literally decades of knowledge on those two threads, way too much to try and retain all of it without going out and doing the things yourself. Does remind me, though, I have some pan bisporus that i've just left cultures on plates. i'm not 100% sure it's actual pan mycelium, that's why I've not sent it to grain yet, but they were the only ones out of the original batch of pan spores that germinated.

Would be cool to see you work them again. I've spent hours and hours reading and re-reading the pan cyan thread on shroomery, as well as the agar thread. literally decades of knowledge on those two threads, way too much to try and retain all of it without going out and doing the things yourself. Does remind me, though, I have some pan bisporus that i've just left cultures on plates. i'm not 100% sure it's actual pan mycelium, that's why I've not sent it to grain yet, but they were the only ones out of the original batch of pan spores that germinated.
I got mine from some country in South America of the internet i was actually surprised it showed up. Was cheap too. I cannot remember where but at the time pan cyans were almost non existent in Canada so thats how i made that deal with spores lab because they didn’t have any pan cyans at the time

might hit you up in a DM to learn about how they shipped them to you. getting genetics like that across the border can't be THAT hard but I'm sure it's not as simple as it is shipping such things intranationally.

might hit you up in a DM to learn about how they shipped them to you. getting genetics like that across the border can't be THAT hard but I'm sure it's not as simple as it is shipping such things intranationally.
Easy shipped as spore print on tinfoil in a card.

Spores are pretty easy as they cannot tell if its an active or edible

Easy shipped as spore print on tinfoil in a card.

Spores are pretty easy as they cannot tell if its an active or edible
that's what i was thinking. it's not like seeds, well they are, but not in the traditional sense where certain seeds for certain plant varieties are outright banned in various countries for various reasons. like back in the 90s and early 00s with cannabis seeds being marked as ornamental or for novelty purposes only.

Weekend projects have begun. 5600 dry grams of grain soaking (goal is to make 16 700 wet gram bags).
PXL_20240720_183740552.jpg
Battle station sterilized, materials placed in order of intended operations.
PXL_20240720_183732346.jpg
And, some very old transfers I'll be making. After the agar work is done, need to make up another 20 plates as I won't have time tomorrow with the PC will be running all day tomorrow to finish up the grain bags.PXL_20240720_183755725.jpg

Objective two of the day done. Tinted the plates this the because some of my current cultures are hard as hell to see on the standard LME agar. The darker color should make for some great contrast.

Gonna have to hit up the big orange store tomorrow, though. Two stores didn't have propane for my torch, and can't do transfers without sterilizing the scalpel between each sample.
PXL_20240721_000317118.jpg

Is this pan specific? I’ve done spore to agar out to T5 before fruiting with cubes and have had great success.

Is this pan specific? I’ve done spore to agar out to T5 before fruiting with cubes and have had great success.
Yeah, pans require a more diverse network of mycelium to produce fruits, at least initially. Many of the more successful growers that I've studied then clone from the largest cluster forming fruits to get their uniform canopies that everyone wants.

They're a fickle species, all in all. They absolutely require some type of dung in the substrate, they absolutely require higher temperatures (80F to 85F), and they require higher humidity (90%+) with more FAE in order to fruit. They're also super contamination prone due to being a weaker mycelium. They're far more rapid than psilocybe cubensis but with that speed comes weakness. They just can't overtake competing organisms the same way.

But, with good clone selection over several generations from spore, I've seen some incredible grows. Dense canopies of grey mushrooms that look identical to each other.

Objective two of the day done. Tinted the plates this the because some of my current cultures are hard as hell to see on the standard LME agar. The darker color should make for some great contrast.

Gonna have to hit up the big orange store tomorrow, though. Two stores didn't have propane for my torch, and can't do transfers without sterilizing the scalpel between each sample.
View attachment 66436
What are you tinting with bro? Just curious as i have never tried it

Thanks brother i was thinking food colouring but wasn’t sure
With more aggressive species, they'll actually eat the coloring so you can end up with some really wild looking cultures that have almost like a halo around them. Haven't seen it personally, but I've seen pictures of it.

Oh, also be mindful of red dyes. Some contain an active fungicide. I don't recall if it's red 40 or red 3, but one of them is not friendly to our purposes

With more aggressive species, they'll actually eat the coloring so you can end up with some really wild looking cultures that have almost like a halo around them. Haven't seen it personally, but I've seen pictures of it.

Oh, also be mindful of red dyes. Some contain an active fungicide. I don't recall if it's red 40 or red 3, but one of them is not friendly to our purposes
Thanks for the heads up

I’ve not had any halo but I’ve had some suck the color out from the bottom of the dish up. It’s really neat to watch!

Behind schedule, but getting the cooking going. Apparently can fit 10 700g bags in my PC. Mathed the dry grain almost perfectly, last bag came in at 550g. Wasn't trying to be exact on the weight, and I think with these bags I'll drop down to 650g next time just to get a little bit better fold on the tops.
PXL_20240721_213534221.jpg

I’m trying out the Drippy Corn Tek spawn. Seems like guys are having awesome success with it! Got some sterilizing as we speak, colonization in a week from agar…

I’m trying out the Drippy Corn Tek spawn. Seems like guys are having awesome success with it! Got some sterilizing as we speak, colonization in a week from agar…
What equipment do you use for sterilization?

Been dreaming about an All American 41.5 electric autoclave, but can't quite stomach the $1200 investment lol. Getting real tired of dinking around with a turkey fryer burner though

What equipment do you use for sterilization?

Been dreaming about an All American 41.5 electric autoclave, but can't quite stomach the $1200 investment lol. Getting real tired of dinking around with a turkey fryer burner though
I just use a cheap ass Tfal 22qt. I just grow for me and a few homies. Thinking about venturing out to the farmers market. I do grow lions main and king oysters out mainly cubes.

I just use a cheap ass Tfal 22qt. I just grow for me and a few homies. Thinking about venturing out to the farmers market. I do grow lions main and king oysters out mainly cubes.
Ah, same. Mine is a 22qt Merro. Same unit as tfal and presto, but it doesn't have the pressure gauge

So i have 2 sprays bottles in my room. 1 is 70% isopropyl and the other is distilled.

After the first flush i usually mist the cake well to help trigger a second pinset.

Well after a few sprays i was *sniff *sniff *FUCK.

Yup i now have some nice blue mycelium in that tub lol.

But it seems to be recovering well so i think im good.

Time to label them

So i have 2 sprays bottles in my room. 1 is 70% isopropyl and the other is distilled.

After the first flush i usually mist the cake well to help trigger a second pinset.

Time to label them
Remember kids, taking care of your magic mushrooms while stoned is a hazardous activity. Labeling your supplies will help you avoid this same situation. 🤣

Time to label them
Ever tried the dunk method? I will dunk a a cake 3-4 times. Those 4th flushes can surprise you.
IMG_1431.jpegIMG_1429.jpeg

Ever tried the dunk method? I will dunk a a cake 3-4 times. Those 4th flushes can surprise you.
View attachment 66529View attachment 66530
Yeah i used to but now i try to use distilled for rehydration to avoid contam. Our water has pink mold that shows up.

Im in the process of reducing spawn ratio and a few other tweaks to only deal with 2 flushes and toss without much waste.

Guess i could always boil for a while but honestly im trying to remove requirements of extra work.

I mean i know later flush s produce bigger fruit but also far less of them.

Great for show but not really overall yield

Back
Top Bottom