All things shrooms

New prints arrived today. Giving the ol pan cyans one last go before marking that goal as a not gonna happen on the list of experiments to perform.

Varieties are:
Pan Cyan Australia Red Down Under
Pan Cyan Central Florida
Pan Cyan Australia
PXL_20240715_231128950.jpgPXL_20240715_230236930.jpgPXL_20240715_230200304.jpg

Heck yes, 150lbs of rye berries showed up today. Came out to about $35 per 50lb bag. Way more economical than sourcing smaller amounts from myco suppliers or health food stores.

Quality is yet to be determined, but I'm hopeful this new supplier will help keep the investment costs lower as my operation scales.

Heck yes, 150lbs of rye berries showed up today. Came out to about $35 per 50lb bag. Way more economical than sourcing smaller amounts from myco suppliers or health food stores.

Quality is yet to be determined, but I'm hopeful this new supplier will help keep the investment costs lower as my operation scales.
This is the one medium I’ve yet to try for colonizing spawn. Does it colonize faster?

About to spawn this Rusty Whyte, going to take a few grains and put them to agar just incase it’s something special.

IMG_7009.jpegIMG_7010.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the one medium I’ve yet to try for colonizing spawn. Does it colonize faster?
I haven't noticed any increase in speed vs WBS. It's been too long since I last did any BRF cakes, either, so can't give a reliable opinion on that either. But, I like the preparation better, and the grain size better than WBS or popcorn. It's a little more tedious than popcorn but not nearly the PITA that WBS is. I have some ideas to reduce the issues I have with prep (primarily drying the grain before loading it into jars). The nutrient density is also fantastic for pretty much all the varieties of mushrooms I'll be producing in bulk (cordyceps will be a whole other animal to tackle later on), and that's helpful for keeping the complications down.

I may pick up some whole oats to try as a side by side as I'll be working through this stock of rye for a while, but will likely stick with rye for the foreseeable future. Once I work out the kinks for producing very large (relative to my scale) batches of grain at once, I'll be able to train up the kids and the ol lady on that part of the process and just let them run that so I can focus on the lab work and optimizing the next segments of the production pipeline.

Meant to attach this to the original post, ran past the time limit though
PXL_20240717_230708353~2.jpg

I just got a source for $25 per 50/lb bag. Things are ramping up now 😁 lost my contact that was $40 when i moved. My first 2 bags after coming back cost me almost $200 to get shipped in. Picked up 4 bags for now and see where that takes me. Supplier always has but i can get it even cheaper if i can buy in totes. Lmao thats a lot of mushrooms to grow to need that much

I just got a source for $25 per 50/lb bag. Things are ramping up now 😁 lost my contact that was $40 when i moved. My first 2 bags after coming back cost me almost $200 to get shipped in. Picked up 4 bags for now and see where that takes me. Supplier always has but i can get it even cheaper if i can buy in totes. Lmao thats a lot of mushrooms to grow to need that much
hell yeah it is lol i already hit up a buddy in my old town that grows for a seasonal farmers market out there and asked if he wanted to take one of the bags off my hands. it's a lot of grain to deal with, man. even more to prep and process through a medium sized PC. Gonna have to build a steam sterilizer barrel system me thinks.

hell yeah it is lol i already hit up a buddy in my old town that grows for a seasonal farmers market out there and asked if he wanted to take one of the bags off my hands. it's a lot of grain to deal with, man. even more to prep and process through a medium sized PC. Gonna have to build a steam sterilizer barrel system me thinks.
Yeah i can do 7 jars at a time. Right now that eats up a lot of my Saturday. I was thinking of getting another for now.

These Amazon are very easy growers and very vigorous. Haven’t tried them yet but i just finished drying the first of them so maybe test this weekend.

They won’t be PE but they are so dam fast and easy

Yeah i can do 7 jars at a time. Right now that eats up a lot of my Saturday. I was thinking of getting another for now.

These Amazon are very easy growers and very vigorous. Haven’t tried them yet but i just finished drying the first of them so maybe test this weekend.

that's what i remember from growing them years ago. they're not quite as aggressive as KSSS but they're up there. I have a jar of JMF and Pink Buffalo going right now that I'll be propagating out to more grain bags probably tomorrow, and need to make some test plates for their respective LCs I made. also still gotta go find some containers to actually fruit the things in.

was gonna use seedling trays but after I measured the ones I have they're only about 2.75" deep and I would much rather have 4"-6" of substrate just to maximize the size of the fruit bodies. This will also be the first run through the martha tent, so want to make sure I have everything dialed in I can and only have to focus on fine tuning the environment.

that's what i remember from growing them years ago. they're not quite as aggressive as KSSS but they're up there. I have a jar of JMF and Pink Buffalo going right now that I'll be propagating out to more grain bags probably tomorrow, and need to make some test plates for their respective LCs I made. also still gotta go find some containers to actually fruit the things in.

was gonna use seedling trays but after I measured the ones I have they're only about 2.75" deep and I would much rather have 4"-6" of substrate just to maximize the size of the fruit bodies. This will also be the first run through the martha tent, so want to make sure I have everything dialed in I can and only have to focus on fine tuning the environment.
I tried seedling trays and they suck ass bro.

I like 3.5” depth for the same reason.

@Dirtbag and I both grew KSSS also that shit was the fastest i have seen. This is close but not quite as you say. I liked the KSSS also but i think the amazon are a bit stronger? Well i hope

The grain was just shaken yesterday, but the recovery is great. Especially considering those grain jars have been stored for months. Was just an experiment to see what the shelf life of sterilized grain might be, and it seems to be performing nearly as good as if it were prepped yesterday.
PXL_20240718_204559522.jpg

If you want a high potency mushroom without the long agonizing growth rate of PE try some True Albino Teachers. I can’t tell much difference in growth than a regular cube, but with buckle the fuck up potency. Every time I harvest them they turn black instead of blue.

I tried seedling trays and they suck ass bro.

I like 3.5” depth for the same reason.

@Dirtbag and I both grew KSSS also that shit was the fastest i have seen. This is close but not quite as you say. I liked the KSSS also but i think the amazon are a bit stronger? Well i hope
KSSS is one of my all time favorites. Haven't been able to find a reliable source for a print again, yet, but I'll find it eventually. I liked them for their aggressive growth rates, size of fruits, and strong potency. In comparison to like, Thai Lipa Yai, they definitely carried more of a holistic punch. Thai Lipa Yai was super visual without the same kind of body load. We'll see what the Jedi Mind Fuck are like. It's my first venture into the new school hybrid varieties. Everything else I've done before has been some regional variety.

If you want a high potency mushroom without the long agonizing growth rate of PE try some True Albino Teachers. I can’t tell much difference in growth than a regular cube, but with buckle the fuck up potency. Every time I harvest them they turn black instead of blue.
Ok im going to order them tomorrow. I’m ditching the PE entirely. I have done 3 grain transfers of amazon and the PE is just finishing colonizing the first round.

The B+ are fast too but a few days behind the amazon. As far as what i hear the amazon is stronger.

I have grown regular GT’s and they were fast and reliable but the potency was mediocre.

Now let me go see if they have them.

@SpectrumFarms these guys the TAT variety?

@SpectrumFarms these guys the TAT variety?

The swabs I got were from SporeNite, I don’t see them offered through them anymore. I’ve heard good things from Spore Lab genetics. I imagine they are the same, I’ve got some I’ll be fruiting in a few weeks if you want some swabs.

The swabs I got were from SporeNite, I don’t see them offered through them anymore. I’ve heard good things from Spore Lab genetics. I imagine they are the same, I’ve got some I’ll be fruiting in a few weeks if you want some swabs.
Are you in Canada?

So you are going from spore and isolating them?

No, I’m in the US. Yes, I put everything to agar first, clean up the plates work them out as close to a mono culture I can. Then I fruit and swab and clone the ones I want to try and reproduce traits of.
I used to do some agar work and some isolation. Maybe one day again but I'm relying on them to do it for me now.

@Aqua Man did you ever do any cloning when you were working with pan cyans? or just start from spore on agar?

@Aqua Man did you ever do any cloning when you were working with pan cyans? or just start from spore on agar?
I misunderstood, ignore my last reply. I started from spore print and went to agar. Did some isolation based on mycelium then went to fruit. I actually struggled to get fruit after a fuck ton of agar work and using about out 20 different isolates. I think 3/20 fruited and then yes i cloned those.

Since then i fucking hate pan cyans lol. So much work into getting a low yielding small non cluster strain that was contam prone (which because of media all pretty much are)

I also was the one that gave spores lab theirs that they isolated. I did not have a chance to grow their isolate before the guy i gave it too was gone. He did gove me stome freebees before he left but that deal is dead now because he is gone.

I wish you luch in the pan cyans brother… hated those fucking things. So much work for very small return

Back
Top Bottom