I have a question if you don't mind answering When you switched to flower 12:12 about how tall were your plants from the dirt to the top of the plant it's hard to tell on the picture they look real short but they sure did turn out nice as always following you closely here trying to learn from the professor you have a good one and thank you so much for posting

It's important to realize that height has little bearing on yield......... it comes down to how many branches the plant can put off in the veg period and the light spread in flowering. Keeping plants very healthy throughout the entire grow helps too. I've seen many a short plant with tons of small branches. I've seen tall plants with an average amount of branches. Topping will spread the plants out wider than taller. With the topping, the plants auxins (hormones) spread differently allowing the side branches to get taller too. By keeping things shorter, the light can work on all the branches evenly, not just the center main cola.

Instead of asking how tall my plants were at the switch (about 15 inches on avg), age is the more important factor. I generally veg for about 5 weeks, although some sativas only require 4. The older the plant, normally it will have more branches since it has more time to grow.

Lastly, it's been said a plant can increase overall yield about 10% by letting it go long into flowering. I'm generally at 9-10 weeks, sometimes maybe 11- but that last week makes a big difference is bud hardness and thus final weight.

I generally regard In-House Genetics as the best breeder for overall quality today. Right in their advertising they state "quality of quantity".......Ethos on the other hand, at least i believe, breeds more for quantity first and quality second. Yield from any breeder will be there if you choose the right strain- since I grow commercially, it's always about yield first for me. If i was growing for personal use, my entire operation would be totally different, as would my strain selections.

For those who follow closely, i ran this crop differently as defoliation was kept to a minimum. i did some, but way, way less than i've been doing in recent crops. It was a bit of an experiment...........although the room was harder to handle this time, harder to water among other things- i think my past over defoliation was not beneficial. I think somewhere in between is key, but I won't be doing those 85% leaf removals anymore. Going strictly by yield numbers, over defoliation is probably not helpful in the long run. I'll discuss more on the next grow, starting up later this week.

By the end of the week, i'll post a final detailed grow and smoke report.............and start a new thread.

Well thanks for your quick answer as you probably know been following along with you for awhile now I've had two runs of 12 plants in my 4 by 4 area first run I let it go for 5 weeks I had an average of 14 inch plants anywhere is from 11 to 14 I guess and I got 2 1/4 pounds often ethos planet of the grapes which by me everybody loves buds were rock hard I couldn't believe it I didn't know you could do so good not so sure to plant so while them were growing in my other room I vegged for two and 2 months 60 days I got very little more weight off that two months then I did the 5 weeks That's why I asked the question of how tall they were before I used to go and let my I grew four plants and I'd give them You know two months vegetating and I wouldn't get this near this week every time I grow a crop I try to improve it a little bit and since I've found your journals my quality and quantity has increased immensely and I thank you for that alright back to your journal i'll quit bothering you thanks again the old man from Michigan

Glad you are moving forward..........what kind of lighting are you using?

Actually I have two rooms each room has one light I have an HLG Scorpion Diablo 650 watts also I run a Grover's choice that's a 680 watts at also runs much hotter than HLG great in the winter kinda hard to handle in summer. From what I'm reading in your last post the last sentence sounds just like me that's what I do I grow and I get rid of it being from Michigan that's a lot easier now but also being OGI don't talk online much about it I try not to I guess I'm getting better it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks you know but since I started falling yeah I've learned a lot now if I could just get like you that defoliation down I think is what slowing me down lights may be a little bit maybe a lot I'm not sure but I'll never go back to HPS. And again thanks for all your help.

I also wanted to mention the Gavita’s, still pushing high yields after 3 years and 2 months. I’ll be watching the yields over the next couple of grows and I’ll probably consider new LED’s early next year…………or not. Lol

So I’ve been trying to decide which strain to start up tomorrow….……. I was starting to rethink the Glookies, and considered going back to the Zsweet Inzanity again. It’s interesting both strains have GG#4 in their genetics. Glookies leans to the indica side, Zsweet to the sativa. I’ll make the final decision tonight, I wanted to do more research on more recent grows of both.

Final grow report, final yield numbers will come later.........

Unexpectantly, i vaped a bag tonight from the Volcano.........take it all with a grain of salt though, it's my first bag in over 3-4 months. After 40 years of daily smoking, I stopped a few years ago for health reasons and now basically just do it when a crop is finished, so i can talk intelligently about the strain to my friends (cough, cough).

I took a piece, maybe 1-1.5 grams and heated it at the highest setting- it filled the bag quickly. The strain is very sticky, and the smell is a sweet, and mild spice dankness. It's a greasy resin, not overly sticky. But there's a thick layer over everything. To be honest, i've never been a Barney's Farm enthusiast. I grew a couple of things from them, maybe 10+ years ago. I don't think any of them are available anymore, but one was a well regarded kush. All i can really remember is you have to add 1-2 weeks to their stated flowering times and i wasn't overly impressed.

I feel the high more in the body than the head...........and you can definitely can tell it's a hybrid. i'm relaxed, in a good mood, just chilling. The head high is in the back of the neck and some in the temples. It's actually a nice mix. I've read numerous reports people that feel Barney's has upped their game the last few years to remain competitive, and i agree with that.

To get this good high along with a monster yielder, there's nothing wrong with this one at all. It's a solid "B" or maybe a B+.......nothing stands out with it, but it gets good marks in all the categories. Easy to grow, solid resin content, interesting smells and flavors, long lasting buzz, nice bag appeal- what's not to like? I've seen some people go 11 flowering weeks with this one, i'm thinking amber trichomes would send you into orbit.

Next up will be their Glookies strain......although it's reportedly a high yielder too, i've seen numerous smoke reports that rate this one really high and much higher than this Mimosa. Seeds were just placed in warm and wet paper towels. Final yield numbers next week sometime......

Since you grow commercially have you ever run into a cultivar called Light Of Jah? I got a cut of it once and, stupid me, I didn't take a clone to hold onto the genetics thinking the guy I got it from would be around.

Heavy producer with a really nice sativa high.

Here you go Roots.....

Here you go Roots.....

Thank You Brother!! Time to warm up the credit card......

I think they make an Auto with that too, but I’d pass on those........

I think they make an Auto with that too, but I’d pass on those........
Not a big fan of autos. I learned on photos so I try and stick to what I know. I'm also not big on feminized seeds but that's just a personal preference. If I can get LOJ, feminized or not, I'm going for it. Loved that cultivar.

I just noticed on the site you posted that they also have photo LOJ. I think I'm going to get those instead of the femmed ones. I've been wanting to collect some LOJ pollen to try my hand at cross breeding. I'm thinking of crossing a Bruce Banner or Gorilla Glue with the LOJ or go more basic and cross it with an OG Kush or Sour D.

Last edited:
My only advice is AMS is somewhat questionable, but they have what you want so there is little choice. AMS seems to be rather generic with their stuff, but i've never grown anything from them. I'd look for some reviews on that seedbank before sending money or charging anything.

My only advice is AMS is somewhat questionable, but they have what you want so there is little choice. AMS seems to be rather generic with their stuff, but i've never grown anything from them. I'd look for some reviews on that seedbank before sending money or charging anything.
That was my next question. I'll cruise around the net to get an idea of their reliability. Thanks for reminding me.

From what I've seen, a lot of the legacy genetics seem to reside with Euro seed banks while most of the fire hybrids tend to come from american seed banks.

Terrible reviews, which i suspected......not legit. Rated 1.3/10. Ouch

Last edited:
I also find it interesting that Dr. Greenthumb has kind of dropped out of site. i know he's getting older now, supposedly was having a lot of family issues and he tried to sell the business about 5 years ago with no takers. Word is his stuff became old and stopped sprouting since he wasn't selling enough to warrant remaking more seeds. His diesel strain was the best on the planet at one time, but his prices are high and shipping takes close to 1-2 months. i'm not recommending him in any way, but most of what i grew from him turned out nice (except his Endless Sky).

My new thread will start up tomorrow.

i wanted to come back for the last time and state a final yield number.............well dried, it became 107 oz. Not my best yield, maybe the 3rd or 4th best in the last 3+ years but solid non the less. Very sticky, the later plants dried became very sour. More than 1/2 gone already, waiting for the reviews.............

Reviews are flowing in and no one is disappointed. Although i think this one lacks a bit in flavor and smell, it has a deceptive creeping high that takes people by surprise. i went to my cardiologist today, so i vaped a bag last night cause i knew what he was going to say. lol NO MORE SMOKING or gummies. This one makes my heart flutter, basically it goes out of beat for a few minutes. I told the wife and boy was she pissed. lol

The buzz starts slow with the head buzz coming on in a few minutes...........it high continues to build for about 20 minutes, when the body shot hits and you float off to relax mode. It's strong and long lasting, and i do think there's more indica in it than sativa, which the breeder claims. My preference still leans to more of a sativa, but this one is satisfying none the less- it's got something for everyone. The nights I've smoked, I was out quickly and deeply for a good nights sleep.

As i mentioned, the later harvested plants were more sour, in taste and smell. I'm not sure which is stronger, the early phenos or the later ones, but the sour will twinge the nose when you find a bud of it. I'm getting more impressed with Barney's with each passing day.

Lastly, here's a copy of the email my largest customer (she took over 2 lbs) sent me today:

"I absolutely love every bit of it. The color, taste and stickiness. I don't know how you do it. This shit is banging. And it creeps up on you real real NICE!!! Beautiful sticky colors! Love it! Love it. Love it!"

Back
Top Bottom