Contest Ideas - our first contest...

moe.red

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a question type thread and every reader has a vote, up or down. Lets group source the best way to build an online contest.

We have all seen the Picture Of The Month type contests. POTM has it's ups and downs.

The biggest issue is that the people competing cheat. It has spoiled what should have been a cool thing many times that I am aware of.
Maybe its worth it. Take the bad with the good?

Please post your best idea on how this 2nd contest should be run. The one with the good prizes @TSD mentioned.

As for the first one - who has the best idea here? Highest voted idea gets something good, just not sure what yet ;)

Solution
This is off topic but what if we had a section called BETA? This could be where gear vendors can offer their products for "BETA testing" and a real world review could be offered in return. A header of sorts stating the mission so that vendors know that those viewing that section realize there is no marketing BS involved so 100% honesty.

Not sure how it would go over with vendors but I thought it might be a good way for vendors to market their product without marketing it and we could offer up great raffle and POTM prizes increasing site traffic increasing brand exposure for those "honest" vendors willing to put their balls on the chopping block.
Any competition needs to be fair and rules agreed too. (Agreement to above is by joining said competition.)

Didn’t know cheating was involved in POTM but I can’t say it’s a shock. So how is that preventable? Copy of today’s newspaper in the pic. 🤣 Sure that can be shopped in these days. Worth the trouble to win less than $100? IDK

Borders will limit some contests as will availability of items.

Maybe we can build a BB seed bank? Donated seeds used for events and prizes? I trust the staff so sending seeds to a US and/or CND location is cool. Maybe same for useful lightly used equipment? Nothing large or heavy unless a local thing. Shipping has gotten crazy.

IDK, just fishing.

I agree it would be cool to do a different type of contest every month to mix it up. Photo contests are cool, but as you said, it's easy to cheat...but hopefully the folks here have some morals? We could mitigate that somehow I'm sure... require people to put a specific item in the shot like a ransom photo or something lol. Or we could make it a very specific type of photo... best night shot, best close up, best single bud, best whole plant.

As far as other contests, I feel that's where we need everyone's input.
We've all heard of the ones I mentioned before:
Solo cup for most weight
Frostiest nugs
One plant one gallon
One plant one scrog
Most colorful plant

How about highest THC, testing and burden of proof is on the grower?

Best/ Most innovative/ coolest looking set up/garden/ etc.?

The problem with most of these types is they kind of require everyone to start something at the same time right? We're all on our own schedules and have limited space and such. Ideas on that? Have a window of time, depending on the contest?
We need input!

How about an F2 pheno hunt. Contestants get 6 seeds from the same lot. Best looking bud wins. So everyone won't have to start at the same time, have a 5 month deadline to enter your best looking bud. It combines grower skill with luck of the draw, and we all get to see a wide range of phenos from the same cross.

I agree it would be cool to do a different type of contest every month to mix it up. Photo contests are cool, but as you said, it's easy to cheat...but hopefully the folks here have some morals? We could mitigate that somehow I'm sure... require people to put a specific item in the shot like a ransom photo or something lol. Or we could make it a very specific type of photo... best night shot, best close up, best single bud, best whole plant.

As far as other contests, I feel that's where we need everyone's input.
We've all heard of the ones I mentioned before:
Solo cup for most weight
Frostiest nugs
One plant one gallon
One plant one scrog
Most colorful plant

How about highest THC, testing and burden of proof is on the grower?

Best/ Most innovative/ coolest looking set up/garden/ etc.?

The problem with most of these types is they kind of require everyone to start something at the same time right? We're all on our own schedules and have limited space and such. Ideas on that? Have a window of time, depending on the contest?
We need input!
I don’t know about your area, but the testing process here is very expensive!

How about we all meet up for a 420 festival at Moe's house 😄
😄
I've been thinking about a camping trip. Down CannaGranny's way is some real nice secluded stuff. Everybody in driving distance come on out.

Wait, this is the contest idea thread, so we will have to add in fights to the death with our smores and bongs.

Maybe do a side thing where once you get a certain number of posts here on bb you get something like a small $30 pack of beans...just something for being a positive member and helping to build the board. You could do post count, like count anything really I know you got the upvote thing but I think maybe a count would be better so it keeps it sort of low key

I've found myself in a financial pickle personally but once I get over this hump I plan on ordering some beans and would gladly donate some of the extra sealed breeder packs to help out. I've operated cash only for my whole life basically (when I say lived under a rock for 20 years I mean it lol) so it would be an easier way for me to give back to BB over say patreon

I've been thinking about a camping trip. Down CannaGranny's way is some real nice secluded stuff. Everybody in driving distance come on out.
How far is that from Seattle?

As for a contest, maybe just a random drawing for a while just to get it going?

As for a prize, maybe a custom title for the following month that declares the winner's magnificence?

How about dishonestly?
Yeah that's a concern for most contests probably... but if someone wants to reap bad karma to cheat on a contest on a forum where many people consider others here friends, I guess that's on them. We can try to discourage cheating in a variety of ways I'm sure.

Different themed POTMs....Concentrate of the month...edible of the month...bud of the month....plant of the month...garden of the month etc and rotate.
Picture contests could have a note in the pic stating Bud Builder August POTM for example. I was on a UK forum that did this and it kept entries legit

Winners of POTM contests qualify for a POTY contest at the end of the year

Seasonal & holiday contests...Xmas tree decorating, pumpkin carving, egg decorating, etc

How far is that from Seattle?

As for a contest, maybe just a random drawing for a while just to get it going?

As for a prize, maybe a custom title for the following month that declares the winner's magnificence?
Building on this you can even vote on most improvements in areas or in general. To hand out temp/perm badges/titles.

Maybe a public and/or private journal area for people to compete; garden wars. (Have to be fair classes, judges vote & members. (?)

Journals/gardens that win gets titles and however they do it in real world...?

I actually have a friend that rents canna friendly tiny cabins!

Wait, this is the contest idea thread, so we will have to add in fights to the death with our smores and bongs.e a friend that rents canna friendly tiny cabins

This isn’t a contest but…..
At Xmas time what if we did a “Weed Elephant”
We have sign ups for a couple weeks, then one of our fateful staff members takes all the names in a hat and starts picking them out.
First person sends to second, second to third, third to forth until last name sends back to first name.
Probably would have to do a us version and a Canada version cause of shipping.

What you’re sending: something weed related:
home grown bud, homemade edibles (dosing included 🤣) seeds you don’t want, things you don’t want or think someone else could use more than you. Obviously some people would get better stuff than others but it’s the fun of it. Then we could post what we got on the thread.

This isn’t a contest but…..
At Xmas time what if we did a “Weed Elephant”
We have sign ups for a couple weeks, then one of our fateful staff members takes all the names in a hat and starts picking them out.
First person sends to second, second to third, third to forth until last name sends back to first name.
Probably would have to do a us version and a Canada version cause of shipping.

What you’re sending: something weed related:
home grown bud, homemade edibles (dosing included 🤣) seeds you don’t want, things you don’t want or think someone else could use more than you. Obviously some people would get better stuff than others but it’s the fun of it. Then we could post what we got on the thread.
Great idea, but federal charge worthy.

Sounds like a kind of Yankee Swap, Secret Santa.....which would be another kind of team building team recognition thing. Photoshop and AI sure make al these kinds of unsupervised 'games of chance' more dicey. You can't send a package here w/o a return address and I have to show a copy of my passport 2.....so the mail thing IDK.

Didn’t think about that🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Ok guys and gals NO RETURN ADDRESS 🤣🤣🤣 jk jk
I don't think you can ship without a return addy tbh. I've shipped and received a variety of things and I know people that do it on a large scale and don't have issues... that doesn't mean the luck will never run out though.

I don't think you can ship without a return addy tbh. I've shipped and received a variety of things and I know people that do it on a large scale and don't have issues... that doesn't mean the luck will never run out though.
If im ever sending somthing sketch, i just put random name and address on it for a return. Ive never gotten in trouble, YET, lol

Back
Top Bottom