Contest Ideas - our first contest...

moe.red

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a question type thread and every reader has a vote, up or down. Lets group source the best way to build an online contest.

We have all seen the Picture Of The Month type contests. POTM has it's ups and downs.

The biggest issue is that the people competing cheat. It has spoiled what should have been a cool thing many times that I am aware of.
Maybe its worth it. Take the bad with the good?

Please post your best idea on how this 2nd contest should be run. The one with the good prizes @TSD mentioned.

As for the first one - who has the best idea here? Highest voted idea gets something good, just not sure what yet ;)

Solution
This is off topic but what if we had a section called BETA? This could be where gear vendors can offer their products for "BETA testing" and a real world review could be offered in return. A header of sorts stating the mission so that vendors know that those viewing that section realize there is no marketing BS involved so 100% honesty.

Not sure how it would go over with vendors but I thought it might be a good way for vendors to market their product without marketing it and we could offer up great raffle and POTM prizes increasing site traffic increasing brand exposure for those "honest" vendors willing to put their balls on the chopping block.
May be a dumb idea BUT what if we approached this a bit different? Think raffle.

What if to enter the contest, you could nominate yourself, but the cost of admission would be something like $20? Nominate yourself as much as you want, 20 bucks each time.

But unlike a raffle, where the winner is drawn random, the community votes the winner. With enough $20 entry fees, we could possibly offer a light or something like that. If there were extra funds, just roll that over to the next month.

Folks could enter if they truly want to win and think they have a chance, but others, like so many in everyday raffles, buy with the idea they most likely will not win but do it anyway to support the cause....a way to support the site at the same time as we're having a contest.

Just an idea to chew on...

May be a dumb idea BUT what if we approached this a bit different? Think raffle.

What if to enter the contest, you could nominate yourself, but the cost of admission would be something like $20? Nominate yourself as much as you want, 20 bucks each time.

But unlike a raffle, where the winner is drawn random, the community votes the winner. With enough $20 entry fees, we could possibly offer a light or something like that. If there were extra funds, just roll that over to the next month.

Folks could enter if they truly want to win and think they have a chance, but others, like so many in everyday raffles, buy with the idea they most likely will not win but do it anyway to support the cause....a way to support the site at the same time as we're having a contest.

Just an idea to chew on...
Oooohhh....I like that.

Of course, now the argument will be which light is the best to raffle off!! 🤣

I too like that idea, but what about instead of raffling off a price, the funds go towards charity. For instance, say a brother bud builder in an illegal state gets hemmed up. The raffle funds go towards their legal defense. Or, a member has a medical emergency in their family, the funds go to support them through their struggle.

Give the whole thing a philanthropist twist. Hell, I'd enter it and say give it all to the red cross simply because that organization helped my mother and I in really big ways after our house burned down.

The problem becomes how to handle the funds in an escrow so that we're not setting up a prime target for any exit scam or other type of theft.

How about we all start a grow journal and everyone votes on the best overall grow journal at the end! So the journal with the most likes, or maybe we can have a poll thread to vote for the best grow thread. Best grow thread will have the best photos, most engagement, most complete descriptions and explanations of everything done in the grow and the best and biggest yield.
Winner gets free seeds or something and a sweet name badge. Since a grow takes around 4 months from dropping a seed to harvest, we have to figure out when to start these and how many to host per year. Maybe like the Bud Builders Summer Grow-Off and a fall growoff?
Literally what I posted.

We could also use a lot of these ideas, but at different times... one month a small giveaway, one month a charitable contest for a cause, or an individual if someone is in need, one month a 50/50 raffle with half to the winner and half to the site's coffers, one month a raffle where we buy something cool with the funds and the winner gets the thing, we could even vote on what the prize would be from the best suggestions... one month just for clout and a fun title, one month a masterclass with someone who is a master at something... don't look at me, I'm good at lots of stuff, but a master at nothing lol. We don't need fancy sponsorships here, we have good people with great ideas and we'll make this the best and most fun weed forum the world has ever seen!Screenshot_20230613_082803_Google.jpg

Also, I feel like this camping trip @Moe.Red mentioned could actually happen and I would love to meet some of you humans irl! If there are folks actually interested in that, we should start a thread for it!

I'm down for buying some merch, that's a great way to generate some money for operating costs/contests prizes.

also could have a contest for user artwork that gets put on next month's merch with their user handle/avatar in the corner or something. wouldn't mind a new break-up tray with the bud builders logo and some cool art behind it.

Also, I feel like this camping trip @Moe.Red mentioned could actually happen and I would love to meet some of you humans irl! If there are folks actually interested in that, we should start a thread for it!
My wife and I are campers and I'm down for it! I value my semi-anonymity(probably a false sense on my part) on here but am def willing to meet some of you guys.

Reminds me of this BBS i got on when i was a kid that had weekly get-togethers. It was like oh you are "orange cat" (my early digital handle) lol

hopefully not like that bob's burgers where bob meets the people from the online forum and finds out they all hate him

@TSD
If you make a thread, can you tag me on it so i see it?

I know:

1. Contestants send in their $20 entrance fee.
2. All contestants send in a copy of their 1040 forms.
3. Contestants put their assets into a blind trust.
2. We implant a chip to determine whether the contestant is lying, or if the technology for lie detection does not yet exist, we send a signal to the chip to get contestants to squawk like chickens.
5. Contestants are interviewed, using good-cop/bad-cop techniques.
6. Contestants spend 24 hours in a sensory deprivation chamber.

OK, is this a photo contest? At some point I guess we'll have to look at photos. I'm still working on that part.

What if the prize were plane tickets so people from other parts of the country could join the cool kids' camping trip? The forum culture is taking shape and there hasn't even been a contest yet. The discussion is also moving beyond practicality or affordability. Why not conduct a poll to assess interest?

Idea for a contest, We all need the same seeds, $20 USA entry fee gets us 1 fem seed to pop and grow over a given time period. All soak crack and pop seeds on the same date, what ever method you use for popping. Plant then flip same date and harvest same date with pics updated weekly. A small prize of select seeds bought by entry fee cash go to winner. Someone would have to take charge, gather entry fee, ship selected seeds to participants and figure a way to judge the grown plant and ship off the prize seeds. Details would need to be worked out but that's an idea off my first J of the day....

What if the prize were plane tickets so people from other parts of the country could join the cool kids' camping trip? The forum culture is taking shape and there hasn't even been a contest yet. The discussion is also moving beyond practicality or affordability. Why not conduct a poll to assess interest?
I read something about you in the Seattle area. i'm a west coast boy myself I've been through Seattle countless times on the way to Seatac. I measured on Google maps the distance for me to get to the Ozarks near Grannies place then on up to Seattle and we're about equal distance away, a 32hr drive at posted speeds from Nova Scotia.....

Not this year lol & the closest I get to camping now is Motel 6 after reading a bed bug review. I needs a soft bed and power equipment to sleep, the days of passing out around a camp fire are done for us....

I know:

1. Contestants send in their $20 entrance fee.
2. All contestants send in a copy of their 1040 forms.
3. Contestants put their assets into a blind trust.
2. We implant a chip to determine whether the contestant is lying, or if the technology for lie detection does not yet exist, we send a signal to the chip to get contestants to squawk like chickens.
5. Contestants are interviewed, using good-cop/bad-cop techniques.
6. Contestants spend 24 hours in a sensory deprivation chamber.

OK, is this a photo contest? At some point I guess we'll have to look at photos. I'm still working on that part.
Too funny brother.

I've been thinking about the timeframes involved with a grow. If we were to do a picture type contest, one way to get around the cheating is to make it a whole grow. So show the start (seedling or whatever) the veg, flower, and the final money shot, whatever that means to the grower.

This style would lend itself well to 3 contests a year over 4 months each. Something like that. Then fill in the other months with the ideas above.

I also see no harm in folks entering the contest with intentions of winning, meaning you do not need to be nominated by someone else.

I love all the ideas here. @TSD has her work cut out for her!

As for the camping trip - there are so many fun float trips in the MO Scenic Waterways. Floating down the crystal clear water a couple feet deep in an inner tube or canoe while getting blitzed sounds pretty fun to me, I'm in 100% if we figure something like that out. I'll even make a substantial cannabis donation to the effort if it is in MO.

Too funny brother.

I've been thinking about the timeframes involved with a grow. If we were to do a picture type contest, one way to get around the cheating is to make it a whole grow. So show the start (seedling or whatever) the veg, flower, and the final money shot, whatever that means to the grower.

This style would lend itself well to 3 contests a year over 4 months each. Something like that. Then fill in the other months with the ideas above.

I also see no harm in folks entering the contest with intentions of winning, meaning you do not need to be nominated by someone else.

As for the camping trip - there are so many fun float trips in the MO Scenic Waterways. Floating down the crystal clear water a couple feet deep in an inner tube or canoe while getting blitzed sounds pretty fun to me, I'm in 100% if we figure something like that out. I'll even make a substantial cannabis donation to the effort if it is in MO.
Not to be a stick in the mud but I can easily photoshop a flower to look like Liberace on his best night. Photos are too easy to cheat with. I don't know whow to fix that but I just wanted to put that out there.

Not to be a stick in the mud but I can easily photoshop a flower to look like Liberace on his best night. Photos are too easy to cheat with. I don't know whow to fix that but I just wanted to put that out there.
Ewww why would you want to do that? Liberace weed? Hard pass.

My thought was that you are looking at a whole grow so you kinda have an idea if things are real or not. A 1 pound bud from a plant that is struggling may be a sign something is not right.

I also see no harm in folks entering the contest with intentions of winning, meaning you do not need to be nominated by someone else
How about a contest for the tallest tree indoors, that would weed out the cheaters. Just narrowing down my odds lol
Yes she does, thank you @TSD

At some future time, as in not this year, we should have a bud builders cup. We'd all have to transport our butts to a legal state in order to try out the entries, but it should be huge fun for those who can swing it.

We can start with smaller legal state competitions that don't require a lot of travel for participants, unless you want to visit another state.

This is a question type thread and every reader has a vote, up or down. Lets group source the best way to build an online contest.

We have all seen the Picture Of The Month type contests. POTM has it's ups and downs.

The biggest issue is that the people competing cheat. It has spoiled what should have been a cool thing many times that I am aware of.
Maybe its worth it. Take the bad with the good?

Please post your best idea on how this 2nd contest should be run. The one with the good prizes @TSD mentioned.

As for the first one - who has the best idea here? Highest voted idea gets something good, just not sure what yet ;)
I feel like these contest need be fair and give everyone a chance to get in on the fun.

I would first judge based on how engaged the person and how often said person communicate on the forum.
Second I would maybe do a POTM club but maybe make the rules a lil different from the farm.

Wow great thread and just read it all. Such awesome ideas from everyone. Something came to mind that I wanted to share as a possible idea.

Long ago in a pool/billiards forum, Raffles became VERY big. They are quite easy to set up and run, and would be a great and fun way to raise money for the forum.

Here is a "mock" raffle for instance, randomly chose a light.

Some super wicked light comes out and everyone would love it. It retails for $600. You add 30% to that and get $780. You then divide that total by the number of Powerball #s there are, which is 69($11.30 a spot, round to $12). Then you make a list of 69 #s and charge $12 per spot, no limit to spots you can purchase. People pick spots if they want to enter the sweat bet and their name goes next to #. Once raffle is full AND all payments have been received by raffle runner via paypal/venmo/cash etc, then the raffle is set. The winner is the 1st ball chosen during the next Powerball drawing. Winner makes out like a bandit, losers are out as little as $12 for playin, and extra funds from raffle can go towards a host of things. Maybe 75% goes towards site and 25% goes towards a BudBuilderPalooza meet-up

Wow great thread and just read it all. Such awesome ideas from everyone. Something came to mind that I wanted to share as a possible idea.

Long ago in a pool/billiards forum, Raffles became VERY big. They are quite easy to set up and run, and would be a great and fun way to raise money for the forum.

Here is a "mock" raffle for instance, randomly chose a light.

Some super wicked light comes out and everyone would love it. It retails for $600. You add 30% to that and get $780. You then divide that total by the number of Powerball #s there are, which is 69($11.30 a spot, round to $12). Then you make a list of 69 #s and charge $12 per spot, no limit to spots you can purchase. People pick spots if they want to enter the sweat bet and their name goes next to #. Once raffle is full AND all payments have been received by raffle runner via paypal/venmo/cash etc, then the raffle is set. The winner is the 1st ball chosen during the next Powerball drawing. Winner makes out like a bandit, losers are out as little as $12 for playin, and extra funds from raffle can go towards a host of things. Maybe 75% goes towards site and 25% goes towards a BudBuilderPalooza meet-up

Love this addition to the raffle idea, some great ideas for implementation. The PowerBall thing is cool, but personally, I would still like this to also be a contest which is where I would stray from the raffle idea to community voting, sort of a hybrid between a raffle and a contest is what I am thinking.

Love this addition to the raffle idea, some great ideas for implementation. The PowerBall thing is cool, but personally, I would still like this to also be a contest which is where I would stray from the raffle idea to community voting, sort of a hybrid between a raffle and a contest is what I am thinking.
aye for sure. This is "specifically" an idea for a fun way to raise funds for the site, let many people sweat bet for small entries, and have a winner that inevitably thinks it was the greatest idea ever

I think we can do them both personally. They target different user groups.

Take the light raffle - not interesting to me personally. I got lights. But the competition stuff is interesting to me.

On the other hand, a new grower who needs stuff can still play in the raffle, and not feel bad about not being able to compete in photo contests - yet.

I'm digging where this is going.

Back
Top Bottom