Contest Ideas - our first contest...

moe.red

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a question type thread and every reader has a vote, up or down. Lets group source the best way to build an online contest.

We have all seen the Picture Of The Month type contests. POTM has it's ups and downs.

The biggest issue is that the people competing cheat. It has spoiled what should have been a cool thing many times that I am aware of.
Maybe its worth it. Take the bad with the good?

Please post your best idea on how this 2nd contest should be run. The one with the good prizes @TSD mentioned.

As for the first one - who has the best idea here? Highest voted idea gets something good, just not sure what yet ;)

Solution
This is off topic but what if we had a section called BETA? This could be where gear vendors can offer their products for "BETA testing" and a real world review could be offered in return. A header of sorts stating the mission so that vendors know that those viewing that section realize there is no marketing BS involved so 100% honesty.

Not sure how it would go over with vendors but I thought it might be a good way for vendors to market their product without marketing it and we could offer up great raffle and POTM prizes increasing site traffic increasing brand exposure for those "honest" vendors willing to put their balls on the chopping block.
Wow great thread and just read it all. Such awesome ideas from everyone. Something came to mind that I wanted to share as a possible idea.

Long ago in a pool/billiards forum, Raffles became VERY big. They are quite easy to set up and run, and would be a great and fun way to raise money for the forum.

Here is a "mock" raffle for instance, randomly chose a light.

Some super wicked light comes out and everyone would love it. It retails for $600. You add 30% to that and get $780. You then divide that total by the number of Powerball #s there are, which is 69($11.30 a spot, round to $12). Then you make a list of 69 #s and charge $12 per spot, no limit to spots you can purchase. People pick spots if they want to enter the sweat bet and their name goes next to #. Once raffle is full AND all payments have been received by raffle runner via paypal/venmo/cash etc, then the raffle is set. The winner is the 1st ball chosen during the next Powerball drawing. Winner makes out like a bandit, losers are out as little as $12 for playin, and extra funds from raffle can go towards a host of things. Maybe 75% goes towards site and 25% goes towards a BudBuilderPalooza meet-up
Bud Builder Bingo......... :oops: .......🤣🤣

Whatever you end up doing, I have a bunch of un-opened breeder seed packs I'd like to donate to the contest..........or to the site for sale in some way to raise money. I'll leave it up to the powers in charge to decide. Just shoot me a message and they can be on their way in a day or so. Breeders include Irie, Rare Dankness, BrosGrimm, maybe some others........

I feel like nobody else uses the little up/down vote... it is easy to miss...
I had no idea it existed...until now
I just downvoted you.

But seriously if we all actually voted here on the best suggestion(s) on this thread, it would make the results a lot easier to figure out.
touche

likewise! :ROFLMAO:
Well I down voted both you fools. 🤣
+1 to that!
I just saw the up/down thing too..

You guys are nuts!!! 🤣

Whatever you end up doing, I have a bunch of un-opened breeder seed packs I'd like to donate to the contest..........or to the site for sale in some way to raise money. I'll leave it up to the powers in charge to decide. Just shoot me a message and they can be on their way in a day or so. Breeders include Irie, Rare Dankness, BrosGrimm, maybe some others........
Awesome offer, thank you SSHZ

I think we can do them both personally. They target different user groups.

Take the light raffle - not interesting to me personally. I got lights. But the competition stuff is interesting to me.

On the other hand, a new grower who needs stuff can still play in the raffle, and not feel bad about not being able to compete in photo contests - yet.

I'm digging where this is going.

Yeah the light was only as an example. Anything that people would want fits the bill. Just helps if it is worth over 69$ so can receive $1 payments. But also if isn't you just charge $1 for 2 spots. The essence/benefit to this type of raffle is how fool-proof and un-cheatable it is. Can't fake the 1st powerball # and also can't fake who is in and/or has paid. You just put peoples names down for their # or #'s and mark paid/change color of name once paid. Basically you are sweat-betting the powerball for an item of value you can pay as little a 1/69th for. Sheeet I have an HLG Blackbird I need to hock and could show yall how it's done. It was over $700 new and has 2 grows on it. At $7 a spot is $483. I send light to winner and $100-150 to site

Yeah the light was only as an example. Anything that people would want fits the bill. Just helps if it is worth over 69$ so can receive $1 payments. But also if isn't you just charge $1 for 2 spots. The essence/benefit to this type of raffle is how fool-proof and un-cheatable it is. Can't fake the 1st powerball # and also can't fake who is in and/or has paid. You just put peoples names down for their # or #'s and mark paid/change color of name once paid. Basically you are sweat-betting the powerball for an item of value you can pay as little a 1/69th for. Sheeet I have an HLG Blackbird I need to hock and could show yall how it's done. It was over $700 new and has 2 grows on it. At $7 a spot is $483. I send light to winner and $100-150 to site

Could be nutrient package, a grow tent, seed packages, fan + controller combos and the list goes on and on. Agreed PT! I really like your raffle idea

The sense of community is strong here.
So nice~!
I think the raffle idea is a win win and doable monthly.
Our intentions for the money we receive via support is to put back what is not needed. We are still young, but thanks to the great members here we are almost completely supported by donations and not just the creators at this point.
With the added money from a raffle the prizes could be insane and customizable by demand from month to month.

I also like the holiday idea.
I gave away fish and related items for 2 years on a fish forum at Christmas.
All I did was ask people to place their name on a simple list and say what they wanted.
Fish was my hobby, but I made money from them so never asked for anything in return.
On a forum that had maybe 60 active users I got over 100 entrants each year and it was a hit for everyone.
The sense of community was incredible.
For this I would encourage anyone who wanted to play Santa and feel good to give it a try.
It was the highlight of Christmas for me.

The idea of a paid for contest/ raffle and a voting type contest I think could both happen at the same time.
Great ideas and great members here. I have for a long time now felt I am at my best when I leave more than I take. It is a great feeling that I think all would enjoy if they are not already. Sounds like many of you share and get this.
Got nothing but love for all you Bud Builders here~! Well maybe a few other things for the prize vault also..:love:

Raffle sounds ok to me, I have been in my grow and older guys sometimes aren't "Hip" to these forums. They will help your growing cannabis. Wish I had ideas, sorry guys maybe I can find something to donate. Just gave a 2x4 tent and 2 cheap lights to a student of mine. SS

The sense of community is strong here.
So nice~!
I think the raffle idea is a win win and doable monthly.
Our intentions for the money we receive via support is to put back what is not needed. We are still young, but thanks to the great members here we are almost completely supported by donations and not just the creators at this point.
With the added money from a raffle the prizes could be insane and customizable by demand from month to month.

I also like the holiday idea.
I gave away fish and related items for 2 years on a fish forum at Christmas.
All I did was ask people to place their name on a simple list and say what they wanted.
Fish was my hobby, but I made money from them so never asked for anything in return.
On a forum that had maybe 60 active users I got over 100 entrants each year and it was a hit for everyone.
The sense of community was incredible.
For this I would encourage anyone who wanted to play Santa and feel good to give it a try.
It was the highlight of Christmas for me.

The idea of a paid for contest/ raffle and a voting type contest I think could both happen at the same time.
Great ideas and great members here. I have for a long time now felt I am at my best when I leave more than I take. It is a great feeling that I think all would enjoy if they are not already. Sounds like many of you share and get this.
Got nothing but love for all you Bud Builders here~! Well maybe a few other things for the prize vault also..:love:
Agree with everything you say above and am working with a 'crack' team to help make something good. happen. Excited to see so much good amidst the gloom.

Raffle sounds ok to me, I have been in my grow and older guys sometimes aren't "Hip" to these forums. They will help your growing cannabis. Wish I had ideas, sorry guys maybe I can find something to donate. Just gave a 2x4 tent and 2 cheap lights to a student of mine. SS
Raffles are easy and can be pretty rewarding for the winner, no doubt. I got in on a lot of raffles for a bowfishing page on FB years ago. The hot ticket items fill up quick but I'm pretty sure I ended up net positive. Got some cool attachments and a nice set of Frogg-Toggs. Had a couple friends win $500+ bows. Lights and tents and fans and shit would be sweet to "gamble" on once in a while. Current culture hydro set-ups could be done with enough participation. Take on 10 or 20 bucks to the raffle and you can score some bread for the site.

Raffles like this could easily increase traffic to the site, as well. Knowing there's a one-stop-shop for seeds, clones, and advice coupled with a sweet raffle here and there... that'd be a "site" to see.

Raffles are easy and can be pretty rewarding for the winner, no doubt. I got in on a lot of raffles for a bowfishing page on FB years ago. The hot ticket items fill up quick but I'm pretty sure I ended up net positive. Got some cool attachments and a nice set of Frogg-Toggs. Had a couple friends win $500+ bows. Lights and tents and fans and shit would be sweet to "gamble" on once in a while. Current culture hydro set-ups could be done with enough participation. Take on 10 or 20 bucks to the raffle and you can score some bread for the site.

Raffles like this could easily increase traffic to the site, as well. Knowing there's a one-stop-shop for seeds, clones, and advice coupled with a sweet raffle here and there... that'd be a "site" to see.
Another thing we could offer is a buddy system for new growers...come in and someone helps you....no judgement, just meet people where they are....that would build loyalty.

Any competition needs to be fair and rules agreed too. (Agreement to above is by joining said competition.)

Didn’t know cheating was involved in POTM but I can’t say it’s a shock. So how is that preventable? Copy of today’s newspaper in the pic. 🤣 Sure that can be shopped in these days. Worth the trouble to win less than $100? IDK

Borders will limit some contests as will availability of items.

Maybe we can build a BB seed bank? Donated seeds used for events and prizes? I trust the staff so sending seeds to a US and/or CND location is cool. Maybe same for useful lightly used equipment? Nothing large or heavy unless a local thing. Shipping has gotten crazy.

IDK, just fishing.
Agree seed 🧬 should be a prize 🏆. I'd maybe help in the future once I get a handle on my growing environment and the things here putting up the living situation

Never knew that the POTM was rigged but I'm not shocked 😳 and I bet extra votes could appear out of a little hat at any time

System administrators have some pretty interesting privileges

I had mentioned earlier that I'd like to see raffles and, yes, I believe that having them would increase traffic here. The problem is beyond what we have and can produce(vertical germinators) things like lights and other gear would have to come from vendors. We would need to inform vendors that the giveaway would have no marketing benefits behind it other than the publicity of the giveaway and the ensuing honest review, good or bad, that would be offered to them.

One of the incentives that we could present to them would be that offering product without marketing benefit would give their brand more street cred since their offering was done without benefit to them attached and with an honest review behind it. As a consumer always on the hunt for the perfect setup this scenario is almost non existent which is what is most appealing to me. Finding a completely honest product review carries a lot of weight. If I were a company that would sound appealing to me in the long run but short term there isn't any real quantifiable benefit that can be charted on a sales report which is what makes doing this harder. The company and their marketing department need to be able to see the long term benefits of doing these types of giveaways but that takes vision.

Good example would be the ViparSpectra XS1500 that I won in a raffle at THCFailure. I would never have given VS even a passing thought when it came to lights. Now that I've been able to work with it I can say that I like VS's newer product. I may not buy their light but if anyone asks me if they are a viable option they would get a resounding yes from me. If they came out with a light that checked off all the boxes then it would be easier to put them on my list of contenders and I may even purchase their light.

Even with the decision that vendor marketing is not allowed on the site eventually the sites reputation will be what brings in the masses and vendor giveaways. Knowing that you have a place where service to the community is the priority over money is hard to find which is what makes this site so special along with the motley crew that comes with it!!!

This is off topic but what if we had a section called BETA? This could be where gear vendors can offer their products for "BETA testing" and a real world review could be offered in return. A header of sorts stating the mission so that vendors know that those viewing that section realize there is no marketing BS involved so 100% honesty.

Not sure how it would go over with vendors but I thought it might be a good way for vendors to market their product without marketing it and we could offer up great raffle and POTM prizes increasing site traffic increasing brand exposure for those "honest" vendors willing to put their balls on the chopping block.

Solution
I had mentioned earlier that I'd like to see raffles and, yes, I believe that having them would increase traffic here. The problem is beyond what we have and can produce(vertical germinators) things like lights and other gear would have to come from vendors. We would need to inform vendors that the giveaway would have no marketing benefits behind it other than the publicity of the giveaway and the ensuing honest review, good or bad, that would be offered to them.

One of the incentives that we could present to them would be that offering product without marketing benefit would give their brand more street cred since their offering was done without benefit to them attached and with an honest review behind it. As a consumer always on the hunt for the perfect setup this scenario is almost non existent which is what is most appealing to me. Finding a completely honest product review carries a lot of weight. If I were a company that would sound appealing to me in the long run but short term there isn't any real quantifiable benefit that can be charted on a sales report which is what makes doing this harder. The company and their marketing department need to be able to see the long term benefits of doing these types of giveaways but that takes vision.

Good example would be the ViparSpectra XS1500 that I won in a raffle at THCFailure. I would never have given VS even a passing thought when it came to lights. Now that I've been able to work with it I can say that I like VS's newer product. I may not buy their light but if anyone asks me if they are a viable option they would get a resounding yes from me. If they came out with a light that checked off all the boxes then it would be easier to put them on my list of contenders and I may even purchase their light.

Even with the decision that vendor marketing is not allowed on the site eventually the sites reputation will be what brings in the masses and vendor giveaways. Knowing that you have a place where service to the community is the priority over money is hard to find which is what makes this site so special along with the motley crew that comes with it!!!
So with the raffles I've been in on, it came with a bit of trust required. One guy sets it up and takes cashapp or similar for everyones spots. When the spots fill, raffle it off. Guy then just buys what was being raffled and has it shipped to the winner, pocketing the change. If the raffle never fills, everyone gets their money back. Higher ticket items sat unfilled for a month before refunds were issued.

I'm not sure why the manufacturer of the raffle prize would have to know anything. Someone's buying a light and someone's getting a light. No different than business as usual. Does the raffle being on a public site have anything to do with it? Serious question because all of what I've said is assumptions on my part, seeing how I've never HOSTED an online raffle. It just seems like the ones I was a part of raffled off countless items from countless manufacturers. I don't envision them keeping ties or having any sort of obligation to the manufacturer with the high number of raffles happening daily.

So with the raffles I've been in on, it came with a bit of trust required. One guy sets it up and takes cashapp or similar for everyones spots. When the spots fill, raffle it off. Guy then just buys what was being raffled and has it shipped to the winner, pocketing the change. If the raffle never fills, everyone gets their money back. Higher ticket items sat unfilled for a month before refunds were issued.

I'm not sure why the manufacturer of the raffle prize would have to know anything. Someone's buying a light and someone's getting a light. No different than business as usual. Does the raffle being on a public site have anything to do with it? Serious question because all of what I've said is assumptions on my part, seeing how I've never HOSTED an online raffle. It just seems like the ones I was a part of raffled off countless items from countless manufacturers. I don't envision them keeping ties or having any sort of obligation to the manufacturer with the high number of raffles happening daily.
I think we're talking about two different scenarios. Yours is a buy in type of raffle as mine is a free to join type. Yours involves member financing and mine moves that responsibility to the vendor. Both are completely doable in my eyes. Maybe the higher ticket items that vendors aren't so willing to give up could be done buy in style and the lower end items could be done on a free to join basis? Maybe a part of the raffle proceeds on the higher end prizes could be used to support site operations if the contestant inputs go beyond the purchase price? Not sure but lots of options........

Back
Top Bottom