• Induces seed germination
  • Stimulates leaf senescence
  • Induces leaf abscission
  • Helps plants survive low oxygen situations eg. flooding
  • Stress response, particularly to salinity
  • Increases petiole and internode length
  • Sex determination
  • Female flower development
Ethylene or Ethene is a gaseous, flammable hydrocarbon that is hugely versatile and widely used in the chemical industry. Indeed, its production exceeds that of any other organic compound in the world, and much of this production is destined to making polyethylene, one of today's most widely used plastics.

Ethylene occurs naturally through the breakdown of methylene and is produced in all parts of the plant, particularly in cells undergoing senescence and in ripening fruit. Its action counteracts the effect of auxin and is what triggers the ageing process in plants. Its main effects are to promote senescence and the ripening of fruit. It also increases petiole length and internode distance. Ethylene plays a part in breaking seed dormancy and promoting germination.

As fruit ripens it produces ethylene
As fruits like these bananas ripen, they produce ethylene.
The balance between auxin and ethylene has an important role to play in leaf abscission at the end of the growing season when the cold weather triggers ethylene production at the same time as auxin levels are reducing within the ageing leaf.

Ethylene is key to sexual expression in many plants, cannabis included, with female flowers requiring much more ethylene to develop than male flowers. By applying ethylene-inhibiting agents such as STS (Sliver Tiosulphate) we can induce male flowers on female plants to create feminised seeds.

It is highly valued in commercial agriculture, where it is employed on a huge scale to ripen fruit that by necessity must be picked early to ensure damage-free transport. In these massive commercial ripening operations, ethanol is converted to ethylene and pumped in to ripen fruit, but man has used the ripening effect of ethylene at least since ancient Egyptian times when they would cut figs to ripen them, as ethylene production is stimulated by physical damage. This is the reason that we enclose fruit in a paper bag to accelerate ripening, or that fruit will ripen more quickly if we add a mature apple or banana to our fruit bowl.

On the other hand, the ethylene naturally produced by fruit can also cause problems in the transport and storage of fruit, dramatically reducing shelf life and leading to losses due to spoiled produce. Indeed, this phenomenon is the origin of the phrase "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch".

Taken from ; https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/plant-hormones-cannabis/

I like this; Ethylene plays a part in breaking seed dormancy and promoting germination.
Any help germinating is a good thing.
I don't like this:
It also increases petiole length and internode distance.

I guess it would best applied to seeds as a starter but not so much to a living plant where it would stretch the leaf petioles and internodes.

I don't like this:

I guess it would best applied to seeds as a starter but not so much to a living plant where it would stretch the leaf petioles and internodes.
just cut em off, lol

heres another source

I don't like this:

yea thats so far what that first paper seemed to just be doing, testing it during germination

for organic growers, dont think it would hurt to to attempt some cold or warm water extractions with those fruits, filter out, add that water to youre solution and give to some plant.
I was just thinking. Since Apples seem to be one of the top emitters what would watering in apple juice do? It has the sugars so it could replace the blackstrap molasses a lot of people like to use along with the added benefits of Ethylene!! 😀

I was just thinking. Since Apples seem to be one of the top emitters what would watering in apple juice do? It has the sugars so it could replace the blackstrap molasses a lot of people like to use along with the added benefits of Ethylene!! 😀
hmm, def dont think it would hurt.

Apple, Orange and Grape juice contain high levels of Ethanol. Wondering if the juice from a very ripe A,O or G would have enough of that compound to be useful.
i think a decaying A, O , or G would have the highest, enough? not sure

the heat from the "decay" is what "helps" it produce, part of how its made, anyways, ethylene.

I have used ethylene and cool temperatures to induce more females in seedlings. I don't know about the other claims.

The ethylene + cool temperatures (68-70F) treatments gave me a better than 50/50 F/M ratio for about 4-5 grows in a row. I can't say exactly anymore, because I recorded this stuff on Sannie's now-deceased OpenGrow.com.

I used an apple to emit ethylene. One time I didn't put in an ethylene source, just cool temperatures, and I got better than 50/50 females again.

I have used ethylene and cool temperatures to induce more females in seedlings. I don't know about the other claims.

The ethylene + cool temperatures (68-70F) treatments gave me a better than 50/50 F/M ratio for about 4-5 grows in a row. I can't say exactly anymore, because I recorded this stuff on Sannie's now-deceased OpenGrow.com.

I used an apple to emit ethylene. One time I didn't put in an ethylene source, just cool temperatures, and I got better than 50/50 females again.
Let's see if Observers experiments bring us any conclusive outcomes.

Looking into all of it's possible mechanisms and what it can do, when to apply it, and what for, "how much", etc.
Guess I can buy a bottle of the gas, it's a little "pricey" though, and you gas seeds with it and bam

"Ethylene-mediated metabolic priming" increases carbon fixation, ergo, increasing photosynthesis rate alongside elevated CO2 levels, or, more efficient CO2 uptake and utilization for producing their sugars = further increasing growth rates.

Oh boy

Guess I can buy a bottle of the gas, it's a little "pricey" though, and you gas seeds with it and bam

"Ethylene-mediated metabolic priming" increases carbon fixation, ergo, increasing photosynthesis rate alongside elevated CO2 levels, or, more efficient CO2 uptake and utilization for producing their sugars = further increasing growth rates.

Oh boy
Basically increases there efficiency/metabolic effectiveness/efficiency

Too much time on everyone’s hands. People hibernate in winter and do all kinds of shit to pass time, lol. You all have fun with this rotten fruit experiment thingi, lol

Too much time on everyone’s hands. People hibernate in winter and do all kinds of shit to pass time, lol. You all have fun with this rotten fruit experiment thingi, lol
you can buy the gas or also make it you're self

I like his experiment but I wonder if the peels would be a better source of the gas than the flesh. The original expirement was done with banana peels in a bag for 14 days with changeouts every 3 or 4 days.

I like his experiment but I wonder if the peels would be a better source of the gas than the flesh. The original expirement was done with banana peels in a bag for 14 days with changeouts every 3 or 4 days.
i can make my own aluminum oxide, and make my own ethylene gas for rather cheap

only need Alum-Oxide and HCI, some ethanol......heat...some glass.....

i just need to buy some lab glassware

use it on seeds

use it around harvest

Back
Top Bottom