Sensei CG I could use your advice if you have a momento. You have mentioned many times that once your flowers are 9" over your scrog table, you deploy trellis 1 for support. Somehow I have a tent of 4 strains and pretty much all are over 9" and a handful in the 15-16" range. Mine don't "look/act" like they really need it yet but since I think you would have already I feel I should.
Is one reason not to wait, that the later you put up a trellis, the closer you are to when you shouldn't be futzing with the buds at all? Like you don't want the trellis rubbing up against full blown sticky 5+ week old buds when you can install early enough to not have to sweat that? Or do you put one in at 9" in anticipation of an additional trellis above that?

Today’s lesson. It has dawned on me that when this lady finishes I will not be able to get her out the door between my two tents or even out of the bedroom door to clean her or otherwise. It will also be exceptionally hard to lollypop her after placing the table top.
My solutions are to lollypop by measuring prior to placing the scrog top and to purchase a lazy Susan type rotating base, so I can sit at the door of the tent to clean her when finished.
One thing Gnicks did was use a runoff catch pan and filled it will golf balls to rotate when needed works pretty good and free if ya got some balls layin around ?

Sensei CG I could use your advice if you have a momento. You have mentioned many times that once your flowers are 9" over your scrog table, you deploy trellis 1 for support. Somehow I have a tent of 4 strains and pretty much all are over 9" and a handful in the 15-16" range. Mine don't "look/act" like they really need it yet but since I think you would have already I feel I should.
Is one reason not to wait, that the later you put up a trellis, the closer you are to when you shouldn't be futzing with the buds at all? Like you don't want the trellis rubbing up against full blown sticky 5+ week old buds when you can install early enough to not have to sweat that? Or do you put one in at 9" in anticipation of an additional trellis above that?
I don’t do that second trellising until the flowers are at least nine inches tall. I don’t worry about it touching the flowers. The reason I do this, one time I had an entire table of buds standing beautifully, as soon as they began that last fattening they fell over!

I don’t do that second trellising until the flowers are at least nine inches tall. I don’t worry about it touching the flowers. The reason I do this, one time I had an entire table of buds standing beautifully, as soon as they began that last fattening they fell over!
Perfect and that is enough for me. Trellis 2 going up asap

How's she doing, Granny?IMG_1112.jpegIMG_1114.jpeg
First pic is the four by four single plant. Second is the five by five. After the stretch, I will pull a few ends to fill any available slot. Normally, I would not, but normally I don’t do a one plant scrog.
I have learned from this. I allowed my plant to get too thick and when the center was exposed to light, she sunburned. As soon as she gets through the stretch, I will trim all of the ugly stuff out. Other than that little ooops, I’m pretty happy for three days in.

Last edited:
Things I have learned about a one plant scrog.
1. Do not allow the middle of the plant to get too thick. Doing this causes light burn when the inside center of the plant is first exposed. It will grow out of it and I will remove damaged areas. Nevertheless I will try not to do this again.
2. A normal five by five scrog for me would contain two plants. I always discourage tucking limbs or moving them to allow the scrog process fully. With a one plant scrog, I can see I will have to go against my own advice and fill a few empty squares. I will do this after the stretch. Doing this will shorten the length of the bud, so I will only fill squares to improve even lighting.
We are on day three of the flower cycle. I will post weekly pics and see where we go with this.

Lovin' it. I can't wait. I'm probably almost a month behind you but flowering is just around the corner.

I think I'm going to grow her into the screen and flip when it's almost full. Then, let the stretch happen vertically. Bad idea? We'll see. I've got the second net if the buds need support and room for a third. I just have no clue what we're looking at in terms of stretch. Will they stretch 2 feet vertically? I should have more than 3 feet of room to allow for it. I know it's strain specific, but on average, will they stretch more than 2 feet?

First pic is the four by four single plant. Second is the five by five. After the stretch, I will pull a few ends to fill any available slot. Normally, I would not, but normally I don’t do a one plant scrog.
I have learned from this. I allowed my plant to get too thick and when the center was exposed to light, she sunburned. As soon as she gets through the stretch, I will trim all of the ugly stuff out. Other than that little ooops, I’m pretty happy for three days in.
I'm finding this out as well, growing well but some sunburn after heavy training and defoliation session. I assumed it was because I left the light up too high while I was working on it.

Lovin' it. I can't wait. I'm probably almost a month behind you but flowering is just around the corner.

I think I'm going to grow her into the screen and flip when it's almost full. Then, let the stretch happen vertically. Bad idea? We'll see. I've got the second net if the buds need support and room for a third. I just have no clue what we're looking at in terms of stretch. Will they stretch 2 feet vertically? I should have more than 3 feet of room to allow for it. I know it's strain specific, but on average, will they stretch more than 2 feet?
The stretch of a scrog also includes length of the limb. This is why, unless you have short and small plants that you don’t want to prefill the table. This will leave no room, no light flow and no air flow.
Placing them under the net and allowing them to grow through is trellising, not scrogging. There really is a difference. On a scrog the entire plant is shoved, literally shoved below your table. Nothing growing through at the time you flip.
As for the stretch you nailed that, genetic specific. What you will see happen is that every single node on the limb below the table will put on greenery, stretch and produce a bud. I have had plants put on nine to eleven inch flowers and plants to put on twenty four to twenty eight inch colas.

I'm finding this out as well, growing well but some sunburn after heavy training and defoliation session. I assumed it was because I left the light up too high while I was working on it.
I do no training that’s the tables job 🙂 These ladies are for sure due a heavy defoliation and I will just as soon as they finish the stretch. I knew I had messed up as soon as I saw how deep the table exposed the nodes, and the fact that I did not do due diligence of defoliation while in veg as I should have.

On a scrog the entire plant is shoved, literally shoved below your table. Nothing growing through at the time you flip.
Just trying to understand here...

This is all hypothetical so bare with me. Let's say I set my screen now. Screen filled with 3"x3" squares. When a cola grows above the net 4-5", I would pull it back through and tuck it under the next string. Technically, it's all still below the screen at that point, right? Then the shoots off of that cola get the same treatment as they emerge from the screen. Then just trellis the colas after flip for support. I'm talking less about letting them grow THROUGH the screen and more about letting them grow laterally THROUGHOUT the screen.

Am I just completely off here? I feel like I'd have better control if I could flip whenever I felt like the screen was nearly filled. This would surely require tucking every few days, I imagine. Is that just added stress and work while potentially complicating things?

First grow for my overthinking ass so I'm just trying to understand as much as I can before it comes to trial by error.

Just trying to understand here...

This is all hypothetical so bare with me. Let's say I set my screen now. Screen filled with 3"x3" squares. When a cola grows above the net 4-5", I would pull it back through and tuck it under the next string. Technically, it's all still below the screen at that point, right? Then the shoots off of that cola get the same treatment as they emerge from the screen. Then just trellis the colas after flip for support. I'm talking less about letting them grow THROUGH the screen and more about letting them grow laterally THROUGHOUT the screen.

Am I just completely off here? I feel like I'd have better control if I could flip whenever I felt like the screen was nearly filled. This would surely require tucking every few days, I imagine. Is that just added stress and work while potentially complicating things?

First grow for my overthinking ass so I'm just trying to understand as much as I can before it comes to trial by error.
I get where you are going. Ideally though that’s still trellising.
The idea behind the scrog is to open the plant and push all of your limbs under the table at the same time so each node has an equal opportunity at the exact time of stretch/flowering.
A scrog tops job is to foremost train and secondly support your plant. A scrog is for training and support a trellis is a support only. If you do the training you have removed the entire job/aim of the scrog. Process is not the same, outcome isn’t either.
I do a combo of scrog/trellis. By that, I mean I scrog the plant and when my flowers hit nine inches, I will install a net to help support the weight of the bud. If just installing a net and filling it full of greenery was all there was to it, I for sure would not fight a five by five tabletop, and pvc pipe in a five by tent!
Fifty percent of maxing out a plants potential on scrog is proper preparation of the plant to be scrogged. Top twice. Node four and then again on second node of new growth. Fim a week and a half before flower. That recipe will bake a fine loaf of bread 🙂
Now you GrassHoppah must decide to let go of your control and trust the scrog process or be destined for all eternity to just be another Trelliser! 😂🤣😅😂🤣
Always open for questions, don’t hesitate! 🥰

Does your hard screen do the smashing? Or do you do a little presmash and then set the screen? Seems like smashing with the screen could dona lot of damage.
Screen does it all. It does do some damage If one does not take the time to work the limbs down. I always water throughly the night before.

Does your hard screen do the smashing? Or do you do a little presmash and then set the screen? Seems like smashing with the screen could dona lot of damage.
This may interest you as well. I had long known that a stressed plant is the best plant. It’s knowing just how far you can push it.

Thanks for the article CG just put it in appropriate section

Maximum Marijuana Potential​

It’s interesting fodder for sure. I had an old grower tell me this many years ago. I have always stressed the heck outta my ladies, on purpose. I’m a believer!

It’s interesting fodder for sure. I had an old grower tell me this many years ago. I have always stressed the heck outta my ladies, on purpose. I’m a believer!
Farmed soybeans in my past, google rolling soybeans in second trifold stage.

Neighbor farmer built a crude machine with rubber paddles that turned in a counter clockwise rotation as he drove down the field. (Farmer inflected stress) im a believer

Farmed soybeans in my past, google rolling soybeans in second trifold stage.

Neighbor farmer built a crude machine with rubber paddles that turned in a counter clockwise rotation as he drove down the field. (Farmer inflected stress) im a believer
Well my grandparents were farmers too. Both sets of them. Cotton, soybeans, milo and corn. My Granny used to whip her cucumbers. So, it’s been in use for a long time, they are just getting the info refined as it relates to cannabis.

Back
Top Bottom