Need help diagnosing issue

Jonnyboi84

Dank Daredevil
Reaction score
Hey everyone my mates having real problems with his plants and due to not living l9cal all I've got to go on is these pictures he's just sent me of some of his leaves, when he first reached out I thought calcium deficiency after doing a little research, so he started giving them calmag over a week ago and there hasn't been any improvement, he's on a 18 6 cycle and his temps and humidity is spot on, he's growing in coco and perlite 70/30, feeding them A and b and calmag at the moment once a day PhD to 6, ec is 0.8 and runoff is the same, now I appreciate the photos aren't much to go off (for me at least) but I just figured that an experienced grower on here with alot more knowledge than me, just might have an idea. Any advice is greatly appreciated as always 🙏

Attachments

• IMG-20240319-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0015.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20240319-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0010.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20240319-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0009.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20240319-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0008.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20240319-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0012.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-20240319-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0011.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20240319-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0014.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20240319-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20240319-WA0013.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 15
So better let a coco person answer just thought I’d bump - there’s could be multiple- my first concern would b bugs , twisted mangled leaves , also could be light cuz they are tacoing as well
. Then overfed ? Burnt tips ? Watering maybe too much dry a k for coco needs to stay wet numbers don’t look bad so again pest would be my first concern

Man I hate to be the one to say it, but it looks like thrips.
The leaf with the middle leaflet all wonky shows it the best imo.

So better let a coco person answer just thought I’d bump - there’s could be multiple- my first concern would b bugs , twisted mangled leaves , also could be light cuz they are tacoing as well
. Then overfed ? Burnt tips ? Watering maybe too much dry a k for coco needs to stay wet numbers don’t look bad so again pest would be my first concern
Thanks bud I grow in coco myself and when he first came to me with the problem watering was definitely an issue, its his first time in coco and he wasn't aware that he needed to keep it wet all the time so he started feeding them everyday until he got a good amount of run off and they did seem to pick right up for a couple of days and I thought that was it and then theyve started going back down hill, I also told him that he needs to get his nutrient solution on point every time and he assures me he has been doing. The dry back thing has also crossed my mind coz I'm in coco at the moment and I give mine 3 good feeds daily and they love it. And as for pests you may be onto something there I'll have him check. Don't think it's the lights because he's got them a good distance away from the plants. Thanks again bud you've given me some food for thought there 👍

Man I hate to be the one to say it, but it looks like thrips.
The leaf with the middle leaflet all wonky shows it the best imo.
My first thought too because of the severe twisting.

I believe phosphorus deficiency will cause leaf twisting/hooking too, but not that severe. Burnt serrated edges could be overwatering

My first thought too because of the severe twisting.

I believe phosphorus deficiency will cause leaf twisting/hooking too, but not that severe. Burnt serrated edges could be overwatering
Thanks bud, I was under the impression you can't really overfeed in coco 🤷‍♂️ and he's only feeding once a day so God knows

I know nothing about coco.

He could increase the P and K to feed the deficiency but that twisting says she's really pissed. Id look for bugs.

1710929997610.png
This pic suggest bugs to me.
That being said I have had certain strains that just twisted leaves no matter what I did with them.

View attachment 50585
This pic suggest bugs to me.
That being said I have had certain strains that just twisted leaves no matter what I did with them.
Thankyou bud I've decided I'm gonna have to go and have a look myself and inspect them properly so I'll have some proper photos later on, and be back later no doubt for advice if I can't work it out, I'm sort of hoping it is bugs at least then we'll know the issue and how best to tackle it

Monterey Spinosad for the win if thrips.
1710942920260.png
One of the few pest besides fungus gnats I have successfully killed.

Make sure you wash up after being around those plants before going back to yours.

Right so ive been there for the last couple of hours and im still no wiser 🤷‍♂️he's growing in coco perlite 70/30, weve tested the run off ph and ec and it's the same as what's going in, he's not letting the coco dry out, feeding them 0.8 ec ph 6, he's got them under a hps light 24 inch above plants, temps and humidity are spot on temps are 26 lights on 22 off and humidity is 70 %. I've given them a good look over for bugs and cant see any, there's been no new growth in a week and half and they look really pale green to me, seems like a defeciency but im not sure what, from pics ive seen online looks like possibly nitrogen 🤷‍♂️, I haven't flushed them coz seems pointless if the run offs fine 🤷‍♂️ I feel like tearing my hair 🤬 out and they aren't even my plants 😂 mine are looking spot on, HELP PLEASE👏😬 I won't be going anywhere neat my plants till morning after I've showered and changed
20240320_233558.jpg20240320_224425.jpg20240320_224411.jpg20240320_224405.jpg20240320_224359.jpg20240320_224344.jpg20240320_224337.jpg20240320_224329.jpg20240320_224322.jpg20240320_224303.jpg

I'm no expert, but 70% humidity seems a bit high, especially for that bushier plant...

That's almost certainly not the issue. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Someone else can come along and tell me to pipe down.

Make sure to spray bottom side of leaves and soak plant till it drips. Do this before lights out.
Sticky traps are no joke either. I use yellow for fungus gnats and they sell blue for thrips.
My understanding is both Spinosad and Sulphur are safe to use in veg.

Just introduced my plants to "Sticky traps" had nats flying in my tent, they love the soil, or coco actually. Educational this thread. SS

I'm no expert, but 70% humidity seems a bit high, especially for that bushier plant...

That's almost certainly not the issue. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Someone else can come along and tell me to pipe down.
No bud any advice is appreciated as I've just been clutching at straws playing the guessing game at the moment 👍

When I had thrips back in October, for the first 3 days i sprayed an hour before lights on, and right at lights off, top and bottom of the leaves, even my tent walls got sprayed until it looked like they lived in a rainforest lol.
I treated for 3 weeks to be safe and they were gone.

Be sure to pinch off and discard any leaves with black specs as those are eggs. Thrips actually lay their eggs  inside the leaf/stem. It's pretty gross.

When I had thrips back in October, for the first 3 days i sprayed an hour before lights on, and right at lights off, top and bottom of the leaves, even my tent walls got sprayed until it looked like they lived in a rainforest lol.
I treated for 3 weeks to be safe and they were gone.

Be sure to pinch off and discard any leaves with black specs as those are eggs. Thrips actually lay their eggs  inside the leaf/stem. It's pretty gross.
Thanks bud 👍

Back
Top Bottom