Programmable Lights

growsinse79

pollen chucker extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm amazed at all the different possibilities now that companies are making fancy controllers. Right now I have 2 x 100w hlgs, with a programmable light in the middle. The center is set to transition from 2 minutes on 30% to 90% for 10min. You can set them however you want and try different things. So far I think short cooling off times is working better than intense spikes.
Anyone else using them to make different schedules? Lets hear your crazy light cycles hear.

I've recently bought a Raging Kush II LED and it's programmable through an app. You can set a timer there and adjust the spectrum and intensity and what not. So far, I have had issues with the app and have not had time to get it resolved, probably just me. From what I can tell, they are a great light and @Moe.Red uses them and has more experience in this area.

I will be able to comment more on this topic once I get to know this light and get a grow or two under my belt with it.

I've recently bought a Raging Kush II LED and it's programmable through an app. You can set a timer there and adjust the spectrum and intensity and what not. So far, I have had issues with the app and have not had time to get it resolved, probably just me. From what I can tell, they are a great light and @Moe.Red uses them and has more experience in this area.

I will be able to comment more on this topic once I get to know this light and get a grow or two under my belt with it.
I have the ac infinity and I havn't tried the app and I won't. I wish they made the spectrum adjustable-that be cool. Hopefully this thread takes off and we all learn something.

I have the ac infinity and I havn't tried the app and I won't. I wish they made the spectrum adjustable-that be cool. Hopefully this thread takes off and we all learn something.
Gonna start writing an article on light spectrum tomorrow. Hopefully finish it up by next weekend. Think thats an area we are going to see more of in the coming future… tunable spectrum. Some really interesting stuff i bet members may be surprised about

Gonna start writing an article on light spectrum tomorrow. Hopefully finish it up by next weekend. Think thats an area we are going to see more of in the coming future… tunable spectrum. Some really interesting stuff i bet members may be surprised about
Do you think the driver constantly turning up and down is going to wear it out? I'm about to find out I guess.

Do you think the driver constantly turning up and down is going to wear it out? I'm about to find out I guess.
It shouldn’t but depends on the quality of the potentiometer. Id say highly unlikely until the unit is older and depending on how its setup you can replace most of them for next to nothing

Current electronics with digital control uses pulse width modulation. Leds blinking on and off quickly with the on and off duration setting intensity. You can see it in the pictures I take under my kush lights.

34B2FCE9-30F1-42EA-8695-6B7D5CC0BA65.jpeg

72955E8D-E897-4CCE-BADE-9FAF3DA8C1CD.jpeg

5B0D7CBB-9611-4B3D-8D1E-6CA3A73AE466.jpeg

I really really love my lights. Playing with spectrum is so much fun. But I cannot recommend a purchase because of all the problems sweetleaf is having with his.

Current electronics with digital control uses pulse width modulation. Leds blinking on and off quickly with the on and off duration setting intensity. You can see it in the pictures I take under my kush lights.

View attachment 2282

View attachment 2283

View attachment 2284

I really really love my lights. Playing with spectrum is so much fun. But I cannot recommend a purchase because of all the problems sweetleaf is having with his.
Y u paint the orange strips in the tent? Pretty kool ! 😎

I just received 3 new lights for my fish tank.
While this is not a cheap light the technology is clearly in place. Unfortunately, these are not powerful enough for us IMO.
My first 3.0 was 3 years ago.
The app for this light is so accurate it is not funny.
Sun rise and sun set along with nap features, something people with 'high tech plant tanks' use in the middle of day.
You have total control over the strength of 5 spectrums.
Hopefully this will be available to us in abundance soon.
Another manufacturer [Finnex] makes the 24/7 which even has storm and lightning settings~!

I just received 3 new lights for my fish tank.
While this is not a cheap light the technology is clearly in place. Unfortunately, these are not powerful enough for us IMO.
My first 3.0 was 3 years ago.
The app for this light is so accurate it is not funny.
Sun rise and sun set along with nap features, something people with 'high tech plant tanks' use in the middle of day.
You have total control over the strength of 5 spectrums.
Hopefully this will be available to us in abundance soon.
Another manufacturer [Finnex] makes the 24/7 which even has storm and lightning settings~!
I used to use finnex light for my planted tank’s. Still have one. Good quality but wasn’t cheap but wored great

Was only just thinking the site needs a light and spectrum guide in choosing a light for your grow space when I seen garbage bears post..b good to learn on what to look for in choosing great light ..

We've come a long ways since the days of a knob on a HID ballast to dim lamps and dials or switches on LED to turn on or off red & blue diodes.
They're like dancing bears now.
Half the features on mine I haven't even tried. Like programming an entire grow in sequence, actually up to 6 programmed events and then events within the events. Mainly because I haven't set the calendar and with the clock being 24 and not 12 my time is often off compared to actual time of day.
But yeah it can do all sorts of stuff

Main display is time, name of program, red, white, & blue intensity, and timer setting.
Everything is touch screen control, no app, and it talks to the lights via RJ11 cord which can be daisy chained so one controller can control multiple lights.

IMG_4496.JPG

The manual button is a 120 second white diodes only on feature for plant inspection. White goes on at 99% but can be adjusted and other color added manually.
Set up button opens up the programming menu

IMG_4657.JPG

Every tile is a button to press then the +- buttons adjust it. Small +- moves the value by 1 and the big +- moves the value by 10
There's the color and timing plus an adjustable sunrise/sunset feature
The Advanced button is the rabbit hole. That's where I can develop events and saved programs so I can create a program just for indicas or sativas or any other kind of special program for what ever needs pop up.
I used it when I first got these lights but over time have just been using one program and adjusting it during the grow but in the storage I have all these set up...

Germination

CLW germination program.png

early veg

CLW early veg.png

mature veg

CLW mature veg.png

early flower

CLW early flower.png

And then flowering is just maxxed out and I have a Finisher program which reduces red, keeps blue at max, and also adds UV with another light system attached to the main LED

The creativity is almost limitless. You can literally create one of a kind unique spectrums. Tweek it make roots grow more prolific with the red or increase biomass with a blue adjustment. I usually keep white neutral. And it wasn't too long ago I was running it all on a light rail mover system but I ditched that when I downsized the length of my bloom space

IMG_4637.JPG

We've come a long ways since the days of a knob on a HID ballast to dim lamps and dials or switches on LED to turn on or off red & blue diodes.
Half the features on mine I haven't even tried. Like programming an entire grow in sequence, actually up to 6 programmed events and then events within the events. Mainly because I haven't set the calendar and with the clock being 24 and not 12 my time is often off compared to actual time of day.

Main display is time, name of program, red, white, & blue intensity, and timer setting.
Everything is touch screen control, no app, and it talks to the lights via RJ11 cord which can be daisy chained so one controller can control multiple lights.

View attachment 2304

The manual button is a 120 second white diodes only on feature for plant inspection. White goes on at 99% but can be adjusted and other color added manually.

View attachment 2305

Every tile is a button to press then the +- buttons adjust it. Small +- moves the value by 1 and the big +- moves the value by 10
The Advanced button is the rabbit hole. That's where I can develop events and saved programs so I can create a program just for indicas or sativas or any other kind of special program for what ever needs pop up.
I used it when I first got these lights but over time have just been using one program and adjusting it during the grow but in the storage I have all these set up...

Germination

View attachment 2312

early veg

View attachment 2311

mature veg

View attachment 2313

early flower

View attachment 2310

And then flowering is just maxxed out and I have a Finisher program which reduces red, keeps blue at max, and also adds UV with another light system attached to the main LED

The creativity is almost limitless. You can literally create one of a kind unique spectrums. Tweek it make roots grow more prolific with the red or increase biomass with a blue adjustment. I usually keep white neutral. And it wasn't too long ago I was running it all on a light rail mover system but I ditched that when I downsized the length of my bloom space

View attachment 2314
Sweet setup… personally i would keep the red blue UV and reduce the green for finishing.

UVA is beneficial throughout the grow. It works in tandem with the blue spectrum much like red and far red

View attachment 2304

View attachment 2305

Germination

View attachment 2312

early veg

View attachment 2311

mature veg

View attachment 2313

early flower

View attachment 2310

View attachment 2314
Dude love the name of the settings~!

View attachment 2304

View attachment 2305

Germination

View attachment 2312

early veg

View attachment 2311

mature veg

View attachment 2313

early flower

View attachment 2310

View attachment 2314
I gotta have it.

View attachment 2304

View attachment 2305

Germination

View attachment 2312

early veg

View attachment 2311

mature veg

View attachment 2313

early flower

View attachment 2310

View attachment 2314
That looks printed what's inside?

That looks printed what's inside?
The shell and wall mount cradle were 3D printed on early models but now current models are made of molded plastic.
I've never opened it up but behind the touchscreen I'm guessing is all the firmware circuits and then on the side are input jacks for the power and RJ11 and on the other side is a port to connect a USB cable for firmware updates

I'm not sure I trust myself enough to be playing with spectrum like that. The Medic Grow Smart 8 that I'm wanting for the 5 x 5 has a veg/bloom spectrum pre set but I don't think you can individually program each wavelength. It also has it's own timer so no need for external digital timers anymore.

The shell and wall mount cradle were 3D printed on early models but now current models are made of molded plastic.
I've never opened it up but behind the touchscreen I'm guessing is all the firmware circuits and then on the side are input jacks for the power and RJ11 and on the other side is a port to connect a USB cable for firmware updates
Looks like something I would build. So it's sold by the company that makes the lights? I think you said California LightWorks?

Looks like something I would build. So it's sold by the company that makes the lights? I think you said California LightWorks?
Yeah it's CLW and can control the Solar System series lights and the new Spectramax bar style light they came out with last month.
IDK if it works with other lights but the tech does seem very basic and the controller has not changed since 2016 other than the housing. The lights have changed though so I have two Gen 1 lights and one Gen 2.
And they have blogs and videos on just about everything from how their gear worsk and how to use it to seeing how they build the lights at the LA factory

I'm not sure I trust myself enough to be playing with spectrum like that. The Medic Grow Smart 8 that I'm wanting for the 5 x 5 has a veg/bloom spectrum pre set but I don't think you can individually program each wavelength. It also has it's own timer so no need for external digital timers anymore.
The Medic Grow Smart 8 is enticing. I've looked at it several times and so far have resisted the urge to pull out the ole credit card. I need to keep it in my wallet more than I have the last few years.

As for tuneable spectrum, I believe its just around the corner. As mentioned in this thread, there are already some out there ... but I won't be buying any new lighting until this technology has filtered down to other manufacturers who sell at lower price points. When the ViparSpectra Rep asked about what we would like to see in lighting, I mentioned this. It will be a company like VS that will do it I think. I'm not sure how soon though.

View attachment 2304

View attachment 2305

Germination

View attachment 2312

early veg

View attachment 2311

mature veg

View attachment 2313

early flower

View attachment 2310

View attachment 2314
fuckin sweet.

Leds blinking on and off quickly with the on and off duration setting intensity.

View attachment 2284
thats cool, i didnt catch that feature when i was looking at the scynce leds

is that how youve been growing? with the LEDs rapidly blinking?

im assuming its really fast and not too perceptible to the eye - like flipping a bdroom switch on and off - slow.

Back
Top Bottom