Solo Cup Prep?

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
Most growers like to use solo cups as a seedling cup. They also like to use the cup in a cup method to be able to see the root development using a clear cup and red solo as the sleeve to keep light out.

My question is instead of poking holes only on the bottom why not poke holes all over the cup to mimic an airpot or is there some reason why this is not a good idea? I would think the earlier the root development the better and we all know airpots are great at developing roots.

This would mean you would have to poke holes in both the clear AND red cups and line them up to get the perceived benefit. I guess you could forego the inner clear cup and just go all red with holes poked all over the cup but you would miss out on being able to slide out the inner to see how roots are doing. Just curious how much benefit you would receive from using an "airpot" solo this early or if it's not worth the trouble.

I have better luck with the square nursery pots. Holes in the side would make it dry out too fast. At 2 weeks they need watered every day or transplanted without the side holes.

Good point. I guess you'd have to keep an eye on them and do 2 a days. Morning and evening feed.
I do transplant at about 2 weeks. My cups have holes in the sides as previously mentioned. I plant seeds directly to soil, but I do dust the holes I drop my seed in with great white. I also use premoisten soil. The first watering is usually about a week after they pop the surface. I don’t see drying back too quickly as an issue in my case.

I just do holes in the bottom only.
For me solos are the way to control and minimize watering and stretch in the seedling stage.
Usually up potted by 2 weeks or less.

i've done this in the past, it helps some. not quite the same as airpots but better than not doing it all. larger holes like 1/4" or bigger work good. but there is more to an airpot than just holes in the sides, there is something that the shape of the walls help channel the roots better. i've never gotten any other container to grow roots like they do.

but yes, putting holes in sides of any container helps air prune roots.

I use solo cups with about 15 holes in them. I rarely start in clear but when I have I put 15- 20 holes in the outer red solo cup...about 2 weeks then transplant up, they are usually root wrapped by then, mycos in transplant hole and maybe on the sides, cover, water and we're off....

Most growers like to use solo cups as a seedling cup. They also like to use the cup in a cup method to be able to see the root development using a clear cup and red solo as the sleeve to keep light out.

My question is instead of poking holes only on the bottom why not poke holes all over the cup to mimic an airpot or is there some reason why this is not a good idea? I would think the earlier the root development the better and we all know airpots are great at developing roots.

This would mean you would have to poke holes in both the clear AND red cups and line them up to get the perceived benefit. I guess you could forego the inner clear cup and just go all red with holes poked all over the cup but you would miss out on being able to slide out the inner to see how roots are doing. Just curious how much benefit you would receive from using an "airpot" solo this early or if it's not worth the trouble.

This has been batted around for years whether it buckets with holes in the sides or solo cups.
There's a lot more to airpots than just holes in the side as Stoney said. The nipples & channels are what makes them special and unique along with a screen base that can be moved up or down.
The nipples guide roots to air then stack them in layers and the bottom screen allows for adjusted volume and more air pruning at the base.
There really is no way to DIY this at home except maybe with a 3D printer or a plastic cast mold and even then not really worth it.
Perhaps a flexible silicone ice tray with holes cut into the bottoms of the cube spaces then wrapped around a bottom screen would be about as close to a DIY airpots one could achieve.
Something like these

For what you're trying to do I'd suggest small, 1 gallon fabric bags you would plant directly into larger containers or get the kind with velcro sides so you can remove the bag. Roots will grow thru the fabric if it's buried.
Fabric bags do air prune though do not guide roots or work as efficiently as airpots and do need to be lifted off the floor so air can wrap around the bottom.
Another option would be biodegradable peat pots and another option after that would be net cups used as cages while using form fitted newsprint inside to hold the soil and roots

Back
Top Bottom