What is Gary, at PA Hydro, talking about in his build video?

IamN2pot

Dank Daredevil
Reaction score
I'm curious. At the 6:55 mark into his "How to Build the Best RDWC Waterfall Fallponic Hydroponic Grow System!!" , I think Gary says something about wanting to install the return 3" PVC at the top of the EZ Store buckets? Can someone explain, please? Seems to me from watching the video that he was originally going to install the 3" return in the top portion of the bucket. What do you think?

As some of you know, I know almost enough about growing in water to screw things up, ...royally! But I'm learning (y). 👨‍🌾

I'm curious. At the 6:55 mark into his "How to Build the Best RDWC Waterfall Fallponic Hydroponic Grow System!!" , I think Gary says something about wanting to install the return 3" PVC at the top of the EZ Store buckets? Can someone explain, please? Seems to me from watching the video that he was originally going to install the 3" return in the top portion of the bucket. What do you think?

As some of you know, I know almost enough about growing in water to screw things up, ...royally! But I'm learning (y). 👨‍🌾
Nah he doesn’t and you dont either… as low as possible is ideal for drainage and mixing

... as low as possible is ideal for drainage and mixing
I agree, as my limited understanding goes, in many cases. In an open room, where those 3" returns can run level and not have to go up, through a bulkhead and back down to get to the res, it obviously can and does work great. But for us tent growers, from an engineering standpoint, we (tent) growers all run into the same problem he was appearantly trying to avoid. That "caterpillar" he uses to get up to and through the bottom ducting port/sock sucks, IMO. Yes, it works, but only up to a point. ANY tiny air bubbles that get pulled into that return will collect at the apex of the caterpillar and eventually can cause the syphon action needed for it to work properly to be broken by an air lock. That is the very issue I was running into with my trainer tomato grow. (and as I recall, @SweetLeafGrow had that same issue with it, the caterpillar) My return line also had a high point in the middle where it went through the tent sock, ...and the rest is history. I regularly had to 'burp' that 1" hose line by raising the grow bucket about 10-12", until the air bubble traveled UP the hose and out. I could do that because of the flexable return hose. I have no idea how SLG burped his caterpillar.
I fixed that issue with my current RDWC by raising the buckets up off the floor, about 12+", so that the return hose was higher on the ends and lower in the middle, going through the tent wall sock. That keeps all the bubbles out of the return line and works in my 8' tall tent. Loosing 8-12" of vertical space by raising the pots in a standard 6'5" tent to keep that 3" return nice and level is not as much of an option.

So, for the sake of us that grow in tents (and those tents need some major upgrades, IMO) and don't want to cut additional holes in them, is there some obvious reason not to reverse the flow that I'm just not seeing and overlooking? By running it with the return on top and the recirculating pump pumping from the res into the bottom of the grow bucket, I'm THINKING you would eleminate 2 issues. The caterpillar bubble issue, and any potential root clogging issues, minimal as they may be with the 3" return. Just thinking out loud and wondering where the problem(s) would be, ...are?

Draining? yes, I'd want a small handy spare submersable to empty the system, like I have now. So that's no problem.
Filling/topping up? yes, I understand the basic water hydraulics of it. Only the res bucket water level will go down. OK, so.... is that a problem?

What am I missing here, honestly? Seriously? (y) 👀 o_O 👨‍🌾

I agree, as my limited understanding goes, in many cases. In an open room, where those 3" returns can run level and not have to go up, through a bulkhead and back down to get to the res, it obviously can and does work great. But for us tent growers, from an engineering standpoint, we (tent) growers all run into the same problem he was appearantly trying to avoid. That "caterpillar" he uses to get up to and through the bottom ducting port/sock sucks, IMO. Yes, it works, but only up to a point. ANY tiny air bubbles that get pulled into that return will collect at the apex of the caterpillar and eventually can cause the syphon action needed for it to work properly to be broken by an air lock. That is the very issue I was running into with my trainer tomato grow. (and as I recall, @SweetLeafGrow had that same issue with it, the caterpillar) My return line also had a high point in the middle where it went through the tent sock, ...and the rest is history. I regularly had to 'burp' that 1" hose line by raising the grow bucket about 10-12", until the air bubble traveled UP the hose and out. I could do that because of the flexable return hose. I have no idea how SLG burped his caterpillar.
I fixed that issue with my current RDWC by raising the buckets up off the floor, about 12+", so that the return hose was higher on the ends and lower in the middle, going through the tent wall sock. That keeps all the bubbles out of the return line and works in my 8' tall tent. Loosing 8-12" of vertical space by raising the pots in a standard 6'5" tent to keep that 3" return nice and level is not as much of an option.

So, for the sake of us that grow in tents (and those tents need some major upgrades, IMO) and don't want to cut additional holes in them, is there some obvious reason not to reverse the flow that I'm just not seeing and overlooking? By running it with the return on top and the recirculating pump pumping from the res into the bottom of the grow bucket, I'm THINKING you would eleminate 2 issues. The caterpillar bubble issue, and any potential root clogging issues, minimal as they may be with the 3" return. Just thinking out loud and wondering where the problem(s) would be, ...are?

Draining? yes, I'd want a small handy spare submersable to empty the system, like I have now. So that's no problem.
Filling/topping up? yes, I understand the basic water hydraulics of it. Only the res bucket water level will go down. OK, so.... is that a problem?

What am I missing here, honestly? Seriously? (y) 👀 o_O 👨‍🌾
Can be easily fixed by adding an open pipe from T on the top of the hump… water weight will prevent it from cominup and out and the aor will be able to escape. Can be as simple as 1/4” tubing

I was honestly wondering if that simple trick works? I've heard of it, but never tried it. Fear of water, water every where. Plus I wondered why, if it does work, Gary doesn't mention it or include it as a way to solve his caterpillar worm bubble problem?
Perhaps that's how SLG burped his worm? That doesn't sound right... sorry Mrs. SLG. :ROFLMAO:

I'd probably elevate the bucket and res enough to delete the bubble hump and make due with less headroom. *shrugs*
That fucks with the water height in the buckets. You would have even less volume to work with because the res would likely be half full

That fucks with the water height in the buckets. You would have even less volume to work with because the res would likely be half full
I 'think' he was refering to raising both plant bucket and res bucket to allow for a straight shot through the sock. ????? maybe

...and as I see it, I thought about lowering my res. My thinking was when the 2 buckets are at the same height, the water amount in each is equal and 2" below the netpot. If I physically lowered the res bucket 1", I'm thinking that's 1" more water I can add to the res to have the water level in the plant bucket 2" below the netpot. I never tried it, just speculating about it.

Aqua Man, didn't you know that my whole RDWC is buckets on buckets. Even Mother Earth is raised up on a 5 gal bucket. 😉

Works great for return water flow, in my 8' tall tent. (y) I'd be absolutly maxed out raising my lamp if I were doing that in my 'regular' 6'5" tent. (n)

I'm just having trouble understanding why one can't reverse the flow, from bottom to top, instead of top to bottom? Just currious as to why?

Raised pots on pots, LOL!!!
IMG_20230528_184808.jpg

IMG_20230528_184830.jpgIMG_20230528_184820.jpg

I 'think' he was refering to raising both plant bucket and res bucket to allow for a straight shot through the sock. ????? maybe

...and as I see it, I thought about lowering my res. My thinking was when the 2 buckets are at the same height, the water amount in each is equal and 2" below the netpot. If I physically lowered the res bucket 1", I'm thinking that's 1" more water I can add to the res to have the water level in the plant bucket 2" below the netpot. I never tried it, just speculating about it.

Aqua Man, didn't you know that my whole RDWC is buckets on buckets. Even Mother Earth is raised up on a 5 gal bucket. 😉

Works great for return water flow, in my 8' tall tent. (y) I'd be absolutly maxed out raising my lamp if I were doing that in my 'regular' 6'5" tent. (n)

I'm just having trouble understanding why one can't reverse the flow, from bottom to top, instead of top to bottom? Just currious as to why?

Raised pots on pots, LOL!!!
View attachment 4656

View attachment 4654View attachment 4655
Because if the water level gets below a pipe you have no circulation and much better mixing

For what it’s worth I made the similar modification that Moe and SLG suggested but found out didn’t really need a hose attached. I just open and close this 1/4 turn valve when I want to burp it. Drilled a hole into top of caterpillar slightly oversized and used waterproof epoxy around it to seal it up.
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom