What is Mycorrhizae???

B2ACG

Stoned Scientist
Bud Builders Approved Seed Vendor
Reaction score
What is Mycorrhizae???

Mycorrhizae is a beneficial fungi that comes into direct contact with your roots and soil. The mycorrhizae's main function is to exchange nutrients from the soil to the plant for better uptake and water availability.. The fungi will spread far and wide to bring those foods back to the plant...
The plant plays the part of a host to the fungi. A mutual relationship, the fungi helps aid the plant with nutrient uptake.. in return, the plant produces a food in the form of carbohydrates made during photosynthesis.

For my organic growers.. Major benefits to your living soil and or composts teas..

For my synethic growers.. Be careful with large doses of phosphorus, this can slow the benefits of the fungi and its relationship to the plant...

Happy Growing
~B2ACG
mycorrhizalfungi_header.jpg

I've wondered how well it works with synthetics. I was using it with synthetics and felt they were probably killing the myco, switched to gaia green in hopes it'd be more friendly to them. I thought there was probably no reason to use it with synthetics but this is nice info to find out, that it isn't ALL BAD.

@B2ACG - Since you brought it up, I have a couple questions but no time to discuss it now. I'll be back in a few hours.

The first has to do with the reproduction of mycorrhizae: Would a small amount at the right time thrive throughout the plant's life (assuming conditions are favorable for it)?

The second involves biochar and mycorrhizae: Is biochar good or bad or what?

I've wondered how well it works with synthetics. I was using it with synthetics and felt they were probably killing the myco, switched to gaia green in hopes it'd be more friendly to them. I thought there was probably no reason to use it with synthetics but this is nice info to find out, that it isn't ALL BAD.
I've read mycellium/fungi can/should be able to uptake ions as well.

So I think it could aid in easier absorption

(?) No clue

I'm somewhat attempting a test to grow mycellium strictly off salts.

Last edited:
What do you synthetic growers use for myco's? I use Great White and am pretty sure my plants' rhizosphere's are much healthier than before using it. I think its the beneficial bacteria and food for said bacteria that is good for synthetics I think, most of the other stuff in GW doesn't do much in synthetics...right?

What do you synthetic growers use for myco's? I use Great White and am pretty sure my plants' rhizosphere's are much healthier than before using it. I think its the beneficial bacteria and food for said bacteria that is good for synthetics I think, most of the other stuff in GW doesn't do much in synthetics...right?
Currently, I'd mix in a slight amount of 7-1-1 terp tea that has mycos, sometimes it seems to grow but I also grow sterile and kill most my stuff off, so don't really use it anymore

I think a hybrid approach would be more beneficial to the plants health.

Synthetic nutrients with bennies.

Things like, hunic acid and fulvic acid

Think I read, humic for organics and fulvic for sterile/synthetics.

Or humic acid works better in organics

Currently, I'd mix in a slight amount of 7-1-1 terp tea that has mycos, sometimes it seems to grow but I also grow sterile and kill most my stuff off, so don't really use it anymore

I think a hybrid approach would be more beneficial to the plants health.

Synthetic nutrients with bennies.
So your using the terp tea and not growing sterile anymore right? Or did I misunderstand ya.

So your using the terp tea and not growing sterile anymore right? Or did I misunderstand ya.
Technically at that point yea, I'd attempt to get the mycos from it, it does have bennies as well.

But my solution always consist of hypo acid and 34% h2o2

The myco seems to live sometimes, but I think I kill it off eventually. Along with the bennies.

I heard that aged fertilizer can sometimes be a good thing? Like aged worm castings n sh!t lol
Yea , this was a good purchase.

It was when I first got into growing and started with fox farm of course lol

I usually will use it during transplants and the start of the grow and then that's it currently for my solos

I use Xtreme Gardening Mycos but I'm not sure if FloraNova is killing off the colony. I emailed GH trying to get a response. I asked them if the nutes I was using are usable in an organic setting. The response I got was that soome of the ingredients they use are organic. They didn't say much other than that which, I guess, leads me to believe that they are ok for organic gardening.

@B2ACG - Since you brought it up, I have a couple questions but no time to discuss it now. I'll be back in a few hours.

The first has to do with the reproduction of mycorrhizae: Would a small amount at the right time thrive throughout the plant's life (assuming conditions are favorable for it)?

The second involves biochar and mycorrhizae: Is biochar good or bad or what?
I add mycos for every transplant.. it's a beneficial fungi that will grow consider the conditions are ideal.. no need to keep adding it.. as for biochar and mycos.. they go good together.. here is a link with more information...

Last edited:
I've read mycellium/fungi can/should be able to uptake ions as well.

So I think it could aid in easier absorption

(?) No clue

I'm somewhat attempting a test to grow mycellium strictly off salts.
Observer, what a fitting name haha...love the studies man, send back report!

Thanks b2 for this post, well needed info

Observer, what a fitting name haha...love the studies man, send back report!

Thanks b2 for this post, well needed info
Synthetic shrooms attempt #2

Instead of dissolving them this time I spread them out on the surface.

Used more salts and added sugar.

Piss poorly "pasteurized" the coco.

Lmao

Sprayed with half gallon tap with 1ml of 34% h2o2

Attachments

• 16881811039057561627302187616672.jpg
    16881811039057561627302187616672.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
I add mycos for every transplant.. it's a beneficial fungi that will grow consider the conditions are ideal.. no need to keep adding it.. as for biochar and mycos.. they go good together.. here is a link with more information...

Thanks. I have Xtreme Gardening Mykos ready for my future transplants. I also have some Great White in stock. My main interest has to do with how much to use and when to use it. It seems to me that, if amended early and the conditions are favorable, then it wouldn't need to be amended again. It seems you agree.

I read the abstract of the paper about biochar you cited. My concern is about the P transfer and how that would affect use of products like Gaia Green that contains P. I've also read that biochar increases pH, so I'm wondering about that, too. Otherwise, it seems it might be a useful amendment for organic soil growers.

Thanks. I have Xtreme Gardening Mykos ready for my future transplants. I also have some Great White in stock. My main interest has to do with how much to use and when to use it. It seems to me that, if amended early and the conditions are favorable, then it wouldn't need to be amended again. It seems you agree.

I read the abstract of the paper about biochar you cited. My concern is about the P transfer and how that would affect use of products like Gaia Green that contains P. I've also read that biochar increases pH, so I'm wondering about that, too. Otherwise, it seems it might be a useful amendment for organic soil growers.
You wanna sprinkle the mycos directly on the rootball during a transplant.. that's where there relationship starts.. Alot of soil brands add mycorrhizae into the mix.. but having direct contact with the roots is what you want to do.. I use a cap full for each transplant

You wanna sprinkle the mycos directly on the rootball during a transplant.. that's where there relationship starts.. Alot of soil brands add mycorrhizae into the mix.. but having direct contact with the roots is what you want to do.. I use a cap full for each transplant
When I up pot I spread it on the bottom of the hole and around the sides so that it makes contact with the root ball.

Same way I use it. I sprinkle it in my planting hole and I sprinkle the root ball with it. In a side by side, there were some profound differences.
They actually grow straw like appendages on your roots and spend the entirety of their lives feeding the plant.
I don’t nor have I ever watered it in or even add any beyond at time of planting. Isn’t needed and it’s expensive.

I will be using it in the future. I bought some and forgot to use it the last two times I transplanted. I won't forget it next time. I have a clone in a 1-gallon pot that will get it when it's up-potted. I'm looking forward to it.

Same way I use it. I sprinkle it in my planting hole and I sprinkle the root ball with it. In a side by side, there were some profound differences.
They actually grow straw like appendages on your roots and spend the entirety of their lives feeding the plant.
I don’t nor have I ever watered it in or even add any beyond at time of planting. Isn’t needed and it’s expensive.
I've seen some just spread it on the top and let it grow down? Not sure how beneficial that is in comparison to how we do it but always wondered if it is as effective or even worth doing.

Just some info you all may want.

Reading through the article I've already learned that high P will NOT kill Myco but will slow down the colonization process. Does this mean that they are going more dormant and can be revived once conditions improve? Reading on.....

I've seen some just spread it on the top and let it grow down? Not sure how beneficial that is in comparison to how we do it but always wondered if it is as effective or even worth doing.
Since this fungi feeds the roots, I just go straight to the roots with it. Why delay or interfere with the process? I dust the holes where I drop seeds even.
This will put some folks drawers in a twist, but a lot of these companies selling chemicals or additives are in the business to do just that. Pool companies for example, they are not in the business of pools per say, they sell chemicals. If I can get you to use half a container by topping or watering with it, we’ll then it benefits me to do so.
This is my opinion.

Since this fungi feeds the roots, I just go straight to the roots with it. Why delay or interfere with the process? I dust the holes where I drop seeds even.
This will put some folks drawers in a twist, but a lot of these companies selling chemicals or additives are in the business to do just that. Pool companies for example, they are not in the business of pools per say, they sell chemicals. If I can get you to use half a container by topping or watering with it, we’ll then it benefits me to do so.
This is my opinion.
Its kinda facts because most need the metabolites produced by a plant to germinate.

Just like some species of pan cyan mushrooms require specifically exudes from grass

Back
Top Bottom