3D printers and the things growers and stoners can make with them

Like a Shake?

anything you want man, drop it on burgers, in shakes even mix it with the ketchup for your fries!! kicks in fast like that too, like 15-20 minutes!!! cooking it in the glycol/glycerin ain't no joke. i personally feel its the most potent and efficient way to make edibles.

The zig zag seed sorter download needed a lot more work than I realized so I scrapped it and started from scratch on Tinkercad

It's ready for a 4 day 5 hour journey on the printer and almost a full 2kg spool to make it.
Next part will be a front cover, a bottom tray with collection buckets and a trap door for material.
The front cover will be lined with weather stripping so it gets a good seal and then I'll print TPU bands for the top and bottom to hold the front cover to the body

seed sorter.png

The zig zag seed sorter download needed a lot more work than I realized so I scrapped it and started from scratch on Tinkercad

It's ready for a 4 day 5 hour journey on the printer and almost a full 2kg spool to make it.
Next part will be a front cover, a bottom tray with collection buckets and a trap door for material.
The front cover will be lined with weather stripping so it gets a good seal and then I'll print TPU bands for the top and bottom to hold the front cover to the body

View attachment 28776
Bandit someone posted one of those in action over at the farm. The one I saw had a variable suction adjustment on it. Does this one have that capability?

Something else that might help fundraise. The gear/switch that gets pulled out on an oscillating tent fan.

I recall someone on the forum complaining that they get damaged and stop working. So buy new fans.

My one fan seems to have this issue from the tent being sucked in at one point. I was going to take it apart and see how I might repair or replace it. It’s a softer plastic than older models I’ve had. Maybe to prevent further damage?

If this is a common enough issue and a 1 or 2 sizes fits all type of thing it might be worth while to make a repair kit for sale?

This is a grow shop fan I got earlier this year. The blue plastic part is what I’m referring too.

IMG_5536.jpeg

Once I see the part I’ll know if repair or replacement is required.

Hope it’s an idea that helps out.

Going to need to take it at least one more layer deeper.

Which means unplugging and making a project. I’m running on empty and don’t want mistakes so I’ll look at removing the rest tomorrow. Well, later today.

Feels like a spring might be in there too. Different from my older models. Still just a gear eventually I’m sure. I’ll pic when I dig it out.

IMG_5539.jpeg

This is the same “designed to fail” worm drive that modern mixers use.

The worm gear is metal and the drive gear is soft plastic. When the fan oscillating is prevented the metal gear heats and melts/gouges it the middle of the drive gear.

As this removes material and leaves a concave hollow in the middle of the plastic gear the metal worm gear no long can reach the teeth to oscillate the fan.

This newer plastic and design doesn’t help with repairs. Filling the void in the middle of the gear is extremely difficult to get right. Then you need to fix the gears teeth.

A drop in replacement would be fine. About 15 minutes total work. The design is common but size and gear probably change.

Should be worth it if ACI is the most popular brand but mines just a $25 clip on.

Anyone else take these apart to see if fixable? @tobh @Rootsruler

JB Weld has worked in the past but haven’t tried it on this softer plastic. Not confident it would last.

IMG_5542.jpegIMG_5543.jpegIMG_5544.jpeg

Yup! For me it isn't usually the gears although I have seen what you posted. Usually it's the articulating arm that rotates the fan head that breaks.

The one time I saw the gear strip thing you mentioned was when someone had draped an extension cord over one of the wall mounted fans and the cord wrapped around the head. I'm not sure how long it was like that but the insides looked like grated cheese.

All metal drive would be great but that would probably break faster as the metal gears would have no give and would snap the first time you bumped into it.

The worm gear is metal and the drive gear is soft plastic. When the fan oscillating is prevented the metal gear heats and melts/gouges it the middle of the drive gear.

As this removes material and leaves a concave hollow in the middle of the plastic gear the metal worm gear no long can reach the teeth to oscillate the fan.

This newer plastic and design doesn’t help with repairs. Filling the void in the middle of the gear is extremely difficult to get right. Then you need to fix the gears teeth.

A drop in replacement would be fine. About 15 minutes total work. The design is common but size and gear probably change.

Should be worth it if ACI is the most popular brand but mines just a $25 clip on.

JB Weld has worked in the past but haven’t tried it on this softer plastic. Not confident it would last.

View attachment 28936View attachment 28937View attachment 28938
nah, once the oscillations stop working, i toss the unit as a whole. That's also why I've quit buying oscillating fans even for general use. They simply can't withstand running constantly and are built to fail imo. As with everything in our consumption-oriented economy, it's not a good business model to build a durable product anymore.

View attachment 28936View attachment 28937View attachment 28938

It could be duplicated in two parts on a 3D printer but the brittle filament plastic would probably be even more prone to fail even at 100% density.
If that part is universal but maybe varies in size between 6", 12" and 18" fans ideally it would be best if somebody with a CNC machine could make them out of aluminum and sell them as an aftermarket upgrade. Sure would keep a ton of dead fans out of the garbage every year that's for sure but the gear could also end up being worth more than the fan. Not many would probably pay $80 to keep a $30 fan alive.

This was an example since I had to see if mine was fixable. JB Weld mixed up and the gear spun over it applying it across the face might work. Need a new one regardless. This will be a backup.

I was thinking you guys could see if the ACI ones would be worth fixing.
Last time I looked it was $80+ each up here. If they can get fubared just as easy might be worth it.

As I said, just an idea.

After cleaning and a little tlc it’s working again but still need a new one.

This was an example since I had to see if mine was fixable. JB Weld mixed up and the gear spun over it applying it across the face might work. Need a new one regardless. This will be a backup.

I was thinking you guys could see if the ACI ones would be worth fixing.
Last time I looked it was $80+ each up here. If they can get fubared just as easy might be worth it.

As I said, just an idea.
These types of products typically share a limited amount of manufacturers. See if you can contact the manufacturer and ask him if he'll send you a box of the gears. They may not last all that long but at least you can remove the broken ones an replace them.

These types of products typically share a limited amount of manufacturers. See if you can contact the manufacturer and ask him if he'll send you a box of the gears. They may not last all that long but at least you can remove the broken ones an replace them.
Probably a slim chance these days. But I’ll look. My store still had a few fans left. I need to visit anyway.

Stuff like this has always been a pet peeve.

OK @Bandit420 @Stoneyluv

I'm ready to start printing the new germinator. Did you guys come up with a final design, maybe one that uses an off the shelf pin? What's the final verdict on the clamshell, is that the best version?

Thx

i printed one out a while back but never tried it out. If you happen to have the pin already i would go that route, i printed my pin horizontally and the ridges on the final part made it sound like the creepiest coffin creak noise you ever heard when opening!!! 👻

i'm not sure if bandit tweaked it all since he posted it, i have a feeling he's neck deep in resin right now harvesting his crop!! :D

OK @Bandit420 @Stoneyluv

I'm ready to start printing the new germinator. Did you guys come up with a final design, maybe one that uses an off the shelf pin? What's the final verdict on the clamshell, is that the best version?

Thx

The new version is huge and something of a novelty but can be downsized. I haven't done it yet but I'm thinking if you put all three parts on the bed in the slicer then do a scale resizing so they're not so big they would be smaller yet still align for assembly.
It's the final version I'll be using but I do want to increase it's capacity so the wavy insert will be changed some time soon.
Stainless steel pins can be found on amazon but I've printed all my pins then had to take fine sand paper to smooth them out and I also had to use a round file to clean the holes in the plate. All of that can probably be cleaned up in the settings though

Just got some autos in the mail.
Check out these pretty neat little seed pucks!
View attachment 57687
3d printed and then a sticker goes over the top to keep it sealed.
I mail mine like that. But I use a paper punch to put holes in 1/4” sheet of foam packing. Then tape over the holes.

Out of approximately 160 seeds mailed only one arrived with a cracked seed. 👍

On the rare occasion the person at the post office asked why the card was bulky I just say it’s musical or has a pop up. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom