Peat pucks - are these things garbage?

Mars_Barz

Spliff Schemer
Reaction score
Long story short, I put some seeds (germinated in ZERO filtered water for more than a day) into these JIFFY pucks. One of the seeds had a taproot that was JUST beginning to emerge, the other seed's taproot wasn't visible.

It's been more than a week and they haven't sprouted. I added more water to the peat modules as well.

Are these things just garbage? What might the issue be?

Long story short, I put some seeds (germinated in ZERO filtered water for more than a day) into these JIFFY pucks. One of the seeds had a taproot that was JUST beginning to emerge, the other seed's taproot wasn't visible.

It's been more than a week and they haven't sprouted. I added more water to the peat modules as well.

They work fine. How deep did you plant the seeds? You do not want them wet just moist

Garbage for seeds imho. I know some people use them, but for me they suck. They work good for rooting clones.

I used to use them often. Switched to red cups and had some bad luck last time so used the Jiffy pucks again this grow.

3 out of 4 popped up in 1-3 days. All sat in a shot glass of water for 24hrs first. At least two had popped.

Feel free to ask any questions.

They work fine. How deep did you plant the seeds? You do not want them wet just moist
About a 1/4 of an inch. Not deep at all.
Temps? Are they on a heating pad?

I’ve never used them to germ. You going into soil?
I just pulled the hygrometer out, here's the data.

No heating pad, but it's hot in that tent.

I'm planning on going into soil, yeah. But these things aren't sprouting.. I read peat pucks were damn near guaranteed to sprout, but then I've heard of others having difficulties doing so. Count me in on that group!

Attachments

• IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 10

I'm planning on going into soil, yeah. But these things aren't sprouting.. I read peat pucks were damn near guaranteed to sprout, but then I've heard of others having difficulties doing so. Count me in on that group!
To dry. Humidity is at 27%.

That tent is a micro-climate remember.

Are the seeds from a good source or okder by chance?

How sis tou hydrate the pucks?

I mean i used them for about a year no issues but i did find rapid rooters to work a bit better.

Over hydration is the biggest problem i found with them. Rapid rooters come hydrated or atleast the ones i used did. And that takes the guess work out of it

Are the seeds from a good source or okder by chance?

How sis tou hydrate the pucks?

I mean i used them for about a year no issues but i did find rapid rooters to work a bit better.

Over hydration is the biggest problem i found with them. Rapid rooters come hydrated or atleast the ones i used did. And that takes the guess work out of it
Seeds are older, an I'd reckon they're not from a good source lol. They came from that bc bud depot place. They were kept in the refrigerator, however.

I hydrated the pucks by placing them into the little dome they came with, poured the zero water over top, and allowed them to grow before draining the remaining water.

Seeds are older, an I'd reckon they're not from a good source lol. They came from that bc bud depot place. They were kept in the refrigerator, however.

I hydrated the pucks by placing them into the little dome they came with, poured the zero water over top, and allowed them to grow before draining the remaining water.
Ok they were probably to wet and should absorb water from the bottom. If the seeds are questionable also then its likely a combination of the 2

The quality of peat pellets will vary with the manufacturer and sometimes the batch. Sometimes they're packed too densely. I used to use them all the time, until I got some dense bastards.
I tried using some 10 year old jiffy pots and they never hydrated right. Bought new and they worked fine for clones.

My vote is I hate them, There is nothing in them but peat, Promix is mixed with a few goodies to keep them for 2-3 weeks without feed and its loose peat mixed with some perlite and doesn't compress as easily as the fking...ooops pucks....I'm on anger suppression meds...I'll smoke one to get over my rage....lol....I've not done well with them.....

Ok they were probably to wet and should absorb water from the bottom. If the seeds are questionable also then its likely a combination of the 2
I just checked on the things. They were growing something green on them, I got excited and thought "sprouts?" but realized it looked like moss. I pitched the things. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I now got one plant growing inside the tent that I'm about to re-pot into the final container. I need to try and use this one plant to get another one up and going as soon as possible to veg alongside the one I got in there now (2 plants in a 2x4). Any suggestions for how I should go about this?

I just checked on the things. They were growing something green on them, I got excited and thought "sprouts?" but realized it looked like moss. I pitched the things. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I now got one plant growing inside the tent that I'm about to re-pot into the final container. I need to try and use this one plant to get another one up and going as soon as possible to veg alongside the one I got in there now (2 plants in a 2x4). Any suggestions for how I should go about this?
How big is it? You can easily clone it.

Its really easy.

I take tiny clones so you can do it off a small plant.

If you like i can share how i do it.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Those were just in straight coco. But what do you have on hand so we can just make this cheap and easy for you.

You will want some IBA rooting hormone. Its cheap. This is what I use.

The rest we can make work if you have a tray and lid would be best but if not we can jimmy up a pop bottle or something
IMG_2046.png

This will sound funny but after i hydrate mine i take em 1 by one in my hand outside and spin them like a windmill with the hole towards my hand to remove excess water.

Always moist not wet is the key
Yup, do this with the Rockwood cubes too

IMG_8847.jpegIMG_8848.jpeg

Once you originally water/wet the pucks use a tray, preferably with channels, to water from the bottom. Let the pucks soak up what they need. Do not over water. Keep in a dark warm place for a few days. Dark doesn’t have to be pitch black.

Sometimes I remove the netting before transplanting but it’s not necessary.

View attachment 62295View attachment 62296

Once you originally water/wet the pucks use a tray, preferably with channels, to water from the bottom. Let the pucks soak up what they need. Do not over water. Keep in a dark warm place for a few days. Dark doesn’t have to be pitch black.

Sometimes I remove the netting before transplanting but it’s not necessary.
Very good point about the light. They need none until they sprout then very very little for the forst week or 2

Those were just in straight coco. But what do you have on hand so we can just make this cheap and easy for you.

You will want some IBA rooting hormone. Its cheap. This is what I use.

The rest we can make work if you have a tray and lid would be best but if not we can jimmy up a pop bottle or something
View attachment 62231
Sure thing! So here's what I got on hand. I got most of the items needed, hopefully that rooting hormone doesn't expire, as it was purchased two years ago. I got some leftover peat pucks and that tray still, not sure if that'll do.

As for the plant, it's still pretty small. It's in a 4.00 round pot at the moment. I will update with a picture in a bit, it's at that stage where it's needing more water, so when I went to check on it it was beginning to droop. I'll take a pic and upload when it perks back up for advice on whether it's big enough to transplant into the final pot.

Attachments

• IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    574.7 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom