Peat pucks - are these things garbage?

Mars_Barz

Spliff Schemer
Reaction score
Long story short, I put some seeds (germinated in ZERO filtered water for more than a day) into these JIFFY pucks. One of the seeds had a taproot that was JUST beginning to emerge, the other seed's taproot wasn't visible.

It's been more than a week and they haven't sprouted. I added more water to the peat modules as well.

Are these things just garbage? What might the issue be?

Sure thing! So here's what I got on hand. I got most of the items needed, hopefully that rooting hormone doesn't expire, as it was purchased two years ago. I got some leftover peat pucks and that tray still, not sure if that'll do.

As for the plant, it's still pretty small. It's in a 4.00 round pot at the moment. I will update with a picture in a bit, it's at that stage where it's needing more water, so when I went to check on it it was beginning to droop. I'll take a pic and upload when it perks back up for advice on whether it's big enough to transplant into the final pot.
Ok have a picture so i can see how small?

I haven't fed it yet. I got ballsy and put it into some hot soil, thought it'd be okay.
Ok what is hot soil to you. Brand name if possible. I grow in Stonington by Coast of Maine. Considered hot.
Okay, when should I up pot her? Do you think I'd be good to do it anytime soon?
If you could get the plant one feeding or so I think you will see faster growth and you could possibly up pot in as little as a week or two.
You want the roots to be enough to hold the soil together when you up pot if possible. That way you are not upsetting the roots if all the soil falls apart when you pull it from pot.

Okay, when should I up pot her? Do you think I'd be good to do it anytime soon?
When up potting imo wait for the roots to fill the pot. Once you need to water daily then its time to up pot.

My reasoning is pretty simpleā€¦ up pot based on watering. This provides a good wet/dry cycle and that means better aeration and in turn faster growth rates for that media.

Ideally 2-3 day wet dry cycle if its longer than its taking to long. Up pot at 1 day is a safe bet.

Thats advice is for soil and peat.

Coco is a different story.

some basics on watering.

Thread 'Watering cannabis explained by Aqua Man'
https://budbuilders.org/threads/watering-cannabis-explained-by-aqua-man.206/

Also i should state that you should water very early in the day to give the plants time to uptake as much water before lights out. Because plants still respire but hardly transpire when lights are out so ideally you like less water in the media over lights out if possible.

Ok what is hot soil to you. Brand name if possible. I grow in Stonington by Coast of Maine. Considered hot.

If you could get the plant one feeding or so I think you will see faster growth and you could possibly up pot in as little as a week or two.
You want the roots to be enough to hold the soil together when you up pot if possible. That way you are not upsetting the roots if all the soil falls apart when you pull it from pot.
I'm using department store soil, purchased from Canadian Tire here in Canada. Golfgreen is the name.

I mixed together three products totalling 75litres: a bag of flower and vegetable soil, a bag of soil mix with compost and worm castings, and a bag of perlite.

I'm somewhat hesitant to feed the plant because I think it's still in seedling mode?

I'm using department store soil, purchased from Canadian Tire here in Canada. Golfgreen is the name.

I mixed together three products totalling 75litres: a bag of flower and vegetable soil, a bag of soil mix with compost and worm castings, and a bag of perlite.

I'm somewhat hesitant to feed the plant because I think it's still in seedling mode?
We have better choices for soil up here. @Pipecarver has found a good reasonable brand I havenā€™t looked into yet. I have Sunshine Mix #4 and ProMix HP. Thereā€™s a few Canadians here.

We have better choices for soil up here. @Pipecarver has found a good reasonable brand I havenā€™t looked into yet. I have Sunshine Mix #4 and ProMix HP. Thereā€™s a few Canadians here.
Hey, yes I use ABS Greenworld VPW 30 when I can find it, about $36 per 3.8L compressed bale.....Ar least $10/$15bale less than Promix They also nave a VPW420 designed for weed I've never tried. VPW30 means 30% perlite already in it. No feed needed for the first 2 weeks then I feed lightly when I transplant from solo cups to 1 gal pots.

Spit .........Canadian Tire......Spit........never again will I enter a CT store or look at a flyer. Wife uses them for food scraps, I don't want them in the house,,,,,,,,,they've pissed me off for the last time during the big C19 bug lock down

Spit .........Canadian Tire......Spit........never again will I enter a CT store or look at a flyer. Wife uses them for food scraps, I don't want them in the house,,,,,,,,,they've pissed me off for the last time during the big C19 bug lock down
Donā€™t sugar coat it, how do you actually feel about them? ;)

I donā€˜t think the universe survived C19, weā€™re living in the alternate universe that popped into existence because nature abhors a vacuum. It feels that way anyway.

Are the seeds from a good source or okder by chance?

How sis tou hydrate the pucks?

I mean i used them for about a year no issues but i did find rapid rooters to work a bit better.

Over hydration is the biggest problem i found with them. Rapid rooters come hydrated or atleast the ones i used did. And that takes the guess work out of it
I've used Jiffy Peet peat pellets for many grows until I started using Rapid Rooters. I use Rapid Rooters now and have had great success with them. The peat pellets work but I've had better germination rates since I switched.

I've used Jiffy Peet peat pellets for many grows until I started using Rapid Rooters. I use Rapid Rooters now and have had great success with them. The peat pellets work but I've had better germination rates since I switched.
Yeah my feeling too brother. They work fine but the rapids are just better

I first started out with jiffy pellets,,that was a bad mistake as I didnā€™t know some small tips on spinning out or squeezing out the extra moisture.they hold water too well and I was drowning the tap root..i just run in small plastic trays now with individual squares.90% success germ rate šŸ˜ƒ.

What happened?

Ya, they have gotten worse over the years for sure. I only go there to get what I canā€™t get elsewhere or if itā€™s really cheaper/sale.

Back
Top Bottom