BlueCollarBob- Bumbling Through My First Grow

Collected cattails to make fermented plant juice last weekend:

Cattails Inspector
cattails inspector.png

Cleaned cattails befor chopping
clean cattails.png

I used 4lbs of chopped cattails and 4lbs of brown sugar. I ended up with about 1.25 quarts of FPJ. 1:1 may have been strong on brown sugar. It didn't take much to to super saturate and make shelf stable. Here's a pic right after super saturating with brown sugar.
cattail juice.png

Random pics from this morning:

Morning mushrooms
Morning Shrooms.png

Butter Waves from above
BW from above.png

Jet Fuel Odder Popz wants to go wide
JFOP from aboe.png

I hope to do some low stress training and maybe some fimming this evening.

Cattails Inspector
View attachment 62914

View attachment 62918

I used 4lbs of chopped cattails and 4lbs of brown sugar. I ended up with about 1.25 quarts of FPJ. 1:1 may have been strong on brown sugar. It didn't take much to to super saturate and make shelf stable. Here's a pic right after super saturating with brown sugar.
View attachment 62922

Morning mushrooms
View attachment 62923

Butter Waves from above
View attachment 62924

View attachment 62925

You ever ate a cattail? Cleaned like that they are edible and reminiscent of a cucumber.

You ever ate a cattail? Cleaned like that they are edible and reminiscent of a cucumber.
I have read that they are edible, but never tried it. Knowing they aren't poisonous was one of the reasons selected cattails to try making FPJ. The smell of the nasty pond water in the roots turned me off, but they did smell crisp and clean when I pulled the hearts out of the stalks. I can get the cucumber comparison from the smell. Maybe next time I'll try it.

I have read that they are edible, but never tried it. Knowing they aren't poisonous was one of the reasons selected cattails to try making FPJ. The smell of the nasty pond water in the roots turned me off, but they did smell crisp and clean when I pulled the hearts out of the stalks. I can get the cucumber comparison from the smell. Maybe next time I'll try it.
Look into using banana peels. šŸ™‚

That's for when in flower, right?

PS- Your topping and fimming video that @GoodShit97 pointed me to was perfectly done.
I've seen it used through both processes. Iā€™ve never used it. I use seaweed and kelp and worm castings. I also use Dr Earths Flower Girl. Itā€™s all organic too.
Thanks for the kind words on the vid. Was so much easier to show someone than to tell them šŸ™‚

Cattails Inspector
View attachment 62914

View attachment 62918

View attachment 62922

Morning mushrooms
View attachment 62923

Butter Waves from above
View attachment 62924

View attachment 62925

Ya the fpj takes a little less sugar most of the time to render liquid 2/3 to half the wieght of material seems like the sweeter something is the more sugar it takes to get the fermented liquid. The fermented fruit juices usualy always use 1 to 1 sugur to material.some plants don't give up any liquid at all.for example cannabiss is like this, yarrow also.when I want to ferment a plant I know dosnt give out much liquid I mix it with comphrey half and half then do my ferment. that way the comphrey, that produces allot, jump starts the fermentation and osmotic pressure of the extraction,and I can get the hormones and nutrients I was after better than just using the low yielding plant by itself. Don't use pineapple it will fry your plants.pineapple is the only fruit I was warned not to use.looking great

Thanks for the feedback @Rootsruler. I thought the plants were drooping because I took the pics at dusk. They've been reaching for the sky when the sun is up. What are the signs of heat stress? Do you have any recommendations on what I should be doing to help with that?
If those were morning shots then you're good. I've noticed right before lights on or if otudoors at dawn the leaves will be droopy.

Ya the fpj takes a little less sugar most of the time to render liquid 2/3 to half the wieght of material seems like the sweeter something is the more sugar it takes to get the fermented liquid. The fermented fruit juices usualy always use 1 to 1 sugur to material.some plants don't give up any liquid at all.for example cannabiss is like this, yarrow also.when I want to ferment a plant I know dosnt give out much liquid I mix it with comphrey half and half then do my ferment. that way the comphrey, that produces allot, jump starts the fermentation and osmotic pressure of the extraction,and I can get the hormones and nutrients I was after better than just using the low yielding plant by itself. Don't use pineapple it will fry your plants.pineapple is the only fruit I was warned not to use.looking great
Thanks. I really appreciate you sharing your experience with KNF. I'm digging it.

Back
Top Bottom