BlueCollarBob- Bumbling Through My First Grow

Thanks, brother. It's always nice to get a little confirmation from the experienced guys. Really appreciate it.
You will have too research it a little more yourself,but the growers at the farm i worked at timed their spraying for the catapelars to the moon phases.it had something to do with when the moths layed eggs or. something.I don't remember all the details.it worked good for them so they continued to do it every year.🫠

Last edited:
You will have too research it a little more yourself,but the growers at the farm i worked at timed their spraying for the catapelars to the moon phases.it had something to do with when the moths layed eggs or. something.I don't remember all the details.it worked good for them though they continued to do it every year.🫠
I'll definitely look into that. It would be nice to have a schedule and maybe knock them out before they get going.

Took a few pics this afternoon. Took them more for myself to compare to future outdoor grows, but figured I might as well put them here. There's a D battery beside the stalks just for size reference.

Butter Waves
IMG_7383.png

Sour Diesel
IMG_7384.png

Jet Fuel Odder Popz
IMG_7381.png

Slurty3
IMG_7382.png

I drug out some ladders to clean out the gutters. Since I Had them out, I tried to get some canopy pics:

Butter Waves
IMG_7389.png

Sour Diesel
IMG_7395.png

Jet Fuel Odder Popz
IMG_7399.png

Slurty3

IMG_7400.png

Group photo
IMG_7388.png

The wife and I went to the WV State Fair, this evening. There we saw:

A big pumpkin
IMG_7404.png

A doll head with a plant growing out of it on top of an upside down coffee mug
IMG_7405.png

Charles Wesley Godwin and the Allegheny High
IMG_7413.png

No major new developments, but I have some curling leaves in one place on Butter Waves. I'm curious as to whether you guys think this might recover or is it something I should cut out? Here's a short clip showing seemingly healthy plant around the part in question. Sorry for the poor quality. Light was starting to fade.

View attachment Droopy Diagnosis.mp4

Here is an overall shot from this evening. I measured heights for the first time in a while, lol. Slurty3 at rear left is the new leader at 7'-4" from soil to tippy-top. Jet Fuel Odder Popz at front left is shortest at 6'-0".

IMG_7452.png

I've been poking around to see how you guys dry when you harvest. First grow equals first harvest. So, I need to figure that out and start accumulating whatever I'll need for that.

That wilted branch in the video didn't look to be bouncing back quickly, so I just chopped it out of there, It was isolated and I'm guessing it may have been some kind of physical trauma, but didn't want to risk it being something that might spread 🤷‍♂️

Stupid bears are back. I thought I had bear proofed and removed stuff that attracts them. It has been a while since I've seen the trash dragging bastards around here, but w've had three sighting on our property over the last week, or so. No damage. Just passing through. I did plug in the electric fence around the chicken coop, just in case.

I bought possibly the cheapest wifi microscope on Amazon. I just took it out to try without reading the instructions, but it seems pretty basic with zoom and focus functions. I think I need to set up a camera stand to get clearer photos (never gonna be stellar). Holding the scope in one hand and my phone in the other proved difficult. I would see a clear image on the screen, but the slightest movement and it blurs before I could capture a clear shot. I think I can do better. I really just thought it might come in handy when deciding when to harvest. I'll get some fun just looking at random stuff, even if it doesn't prove useful:

Image_2024-08-24 11_19_55_829.pngImage_2024-08-24 11_19_25_294.pngImage_2024-08-24 11_08_41_580.png

Your plants are looking awesome. I’m digging and jealous of the trichome action. I’m expecting some to start popping off here soon, but nothing yet!

Your plants are looking awesome. I’m digging and jealous of the trichome action. I’m expecting some to start popping off here soon, but nothing yet!
The plant wit the most trichome action has about a 3 week head start on the other plants. It was also the only plant from seed. The others are clones. Four plants and four different strains, lol. I'm looking forward to seeing how they all differ. And I really need to figure out how I'm going to dry them. Thinking about picking up a cheap tent and gear it up to dry. Maybe just grove bags for the cure. Not sure yet.

Hello all,

If anyone has any recommendations on getting set up to dry my first harvest, I'll be grateful for whatever advice you have to offer. From poking around in the forum, I'm thinking my basement may be the most stable environment to dry in. I can also set up in an exterior building, but know the temps will swing a lot more.

I've been monitoring basement temps and humidity with an inexpensive bluetooth hygrometer/thermometer for a little over a week without the humidifier running. I just turned on our old humidifier to see what that does. It's an antique. It may be a good time to go ahead and order a smart humidifier.

Here's the average measurements that this hygrometer displays for the past week sans humidifier:

Temperature = 65.3℉ Relative Humidity = 61.8% Dew Point = 51.8℉ Vapor Pressure Deficit = 0.81kPa

With the Labor Day sales going on, this could be a good time for me to pick up a grow tent and whatever equipment I'll need to dry with.

I guess what I'm looking for help with is:

1. If I dry in the basement, what humidity should I be aiming for down there? Temperature may be harder for me to adjust, as all of the duct work goes to vents in the rooms upstairs.

2. Are the measurements shown above enough to work from, or do I need to be measuring something else?

3. If it makes sense to dry in a grow tent, I'll probably buy an inexpensive kit with carbon filter, fan and light . I think I'd find a use for the light with vegetable garden stuff in early Spring. Do I have enough information to know what other environment controlling equipment I'll need in the tent?
When it's time to cure, have any of you had any experience using Grove Bags? If they work, I'm lazy enough to prefer simply filling bags over burping jars, lol.

Any other recommendations for first time drying/curing?

Here's the average measurements that this hygrometer displays for the past week sans humidifier:

Temperature = 65.3℉ Relative Humidity = 61.8% Dew Point = 51.8℉ Vapor Pressure Deficit = 0.81kPa

thats real freakin close dude!!! real close!! close enough i wouldn't mess with it to much..

If I dry in the basement, what humidity should I be aiming for down there? Temperature may be harder for me to adjust, as all of the duct work goes to vents in the rooms upstairs.

so to be perfect you want to dry for 4-7 days at a dew point of 54. and a dew point of 52 to cure for the same amount of time, then back to 54 for long term storage.

your target temp would be 68*f and an rh of 61% and then down to 57% for he cure and back up to 61 for storage... these are perfect numbers... keep the dew point though..

here is calc..

i'm deep into it right now and have been building a dry box so numbers are in my head right now. any questions just fire away! drying/curing is as important as growing!

My wife says my memory sucks, the truth is I only remember important stuff... like this 🙂. I'll bet you that I add a roll of garden ties to my gardening supplies in the near future. Thanks for the sharing this patch.

You can sometimes get both of these at dollar stores. Soft wire I only find in spring. IMG_9846.jpeg

No major new developments, but I have some curling leaves in one place on Butter Waves. I'm curious as to whether you guys think this might recover or is it something I should cut out? Here's a short clip showing seemingly healthy plant around the part in question. Sorry for the poor quality. Light was starting to fade.

View attachment 69686

Here is an overall shot from this evening. I measured heights for the first time in a while, lol. Slurty3 at rear left is the new leader at 7'-4" from soil to tippy-top. Jet Fuel Odder Popz at front left is shortest at 6'-0".

View attachment 69687

I've been poking around to see how you guys dry when you harvest. First grow equals first harvest. So, I need to figure that out and start accumulating whatever I'll need for that.

I get what looks like the same issue once in a while.

When I checked the above link it looked like this.
IMG_9847.jpeg

But in the end I believe it was @Aqua Man that said it was humidity related…? At least in my case. Usually happens near my fan.

View attachment 69686

View attachment 69687

Grove Bags work really great for the finished product. Drying the weed in a cool low humidity environment is the ticket. Several folks (including Moi) like to put their cured weed in paper bags for 10 days before they go in their bags or jars....A wood thermometer to measure moisture in the bud is also a good thing to have on hand. You are crushing it outdoor there and thanks for the fair pictures....

Hello all,

If anyone has any recommendations on getting set up to dry my first harvest, I'll be grateful for whatever advice you have to offer. From poking around in the forum, I'm thinking my basement may be the most stable environment to dry in. I can also set up in an exterior building, but know the temps will swing a lot more.

I've been monitoring basement temps and humidity with an inexpensive bluetooth hygrometer/thermometer for a little over a week without the humidifier running. I just turned on our old humidifier to see what that does. It's an antique. It may be a good time to go ahead and order a smart humidifier.

With the Labor Day sales going on, this could be a good time for me to pick up a grow tent and whatever equipment I'll need to dry with.

1. If I dry in the basement, what humidity should I be aiming for down there? Temperature may be harder for me to adjust, as all of the duct work goes to vents in the rooms upstairs.

2. Are the measurements shown above enough to work from, or do I need to be measuring something else?

3. If it makes sense to dry in a grow tent, I'll probably buy an inexpensive kit with carbon filter, fan and light . I think I'd find a use for the light with vegetable garden stuff in early Spring. Do I have enough information to know what other environment controlling equipment I'll need in the tent?
When it's time to cure, have any of you had any experience using Grove Bags? If they work, I'm lazy enough to prefer simply filling bags over burping jars, lol.

Boveda packets are great. Boost as well. Add/remove moisture to keep longer. Some say burping isn’t needed but I still do. I also keep small hygrometers in a few jars of each plant. Just to keep an eye on things. IMG_9848.jpeg

I use the basement bathroom shower a lot as I can control the temperature and humidity easily.

When I had more than I could find room for Stonemason told me about the Lotus method that uses brown paper bags and the refrigerator. Needed it a few times.

Better answers will arrive in the morning I’m sure. 👍

Stoney's got you going in the right direction with the environmental parameters for the dry/cure. Good advice there.

I use Grove Bags and love them. Just opened my last bag from my most recent harvest and it was still wonderfully delicious. No mold issues, either, even though they've been in those bags for at least two months. Wonderful investment. I just bag 'em and stuff the bags in an empty dresser.

thats real freakin close dude!!! real close!! close enough i wouldn't mess with it to much..

so to be perfect you want to dry for 4-7 days at a dew point of 54. and a dew point of 52 to cure for the same amount of time, then back to 54 for long term storage.

your target temp would be 68*f and an rh of 61% and then down to 57% for he cure and back up to 61 for storage... these are perfect numbers... keep the dew point though..

here is calc..

i'm deep into it right now and have been building a dry box so numbers are in my head right now. any questions just fire away! drying/curing is as important as growing!
Thanks Stoney. If I'm following what you're sharing: Say my target temp is off by a few degrees... I should adjust my humidity to meet the targeted dew point. Example: Temp = 64℉ and Humidity = 60% giving me a Dew Point of 49.4℉, I could bring the humidity up to 69% to hit the target dew point of 54℉? Or, should I really be working on a way to bring that temp up to 68℉? Any thoughts on a reasonable range for temps as long as I'm still hitting the targeted dew point?

I'm really looking forward to seeing where you end up with your dry box project 🍿

I get what looks like the same issue once in a while.

When I checked the above link it looked like this.
View attachment 70852

But in the end I believe it was @Aqua Man that said it was humidity related…? At least in my case. Usually happens near my fan.
I think the daily average humidity was in the low 80% range when that pooped up. It's still around 80%. Whatever it was, I cut it out, lol. No signs of it anywhere else, so far. It's wild to me that Nitrogen toxicity or a humidity issue can be isolated to only one part of a plant. Nature is amazing... and sneaky.

Boveda packets are great. Boost as well. Add/remove moisture to keep longer. Some say burping isn’t needed but I still do. I also keep small hygrometers in a few jars of each plant. Just to keep an eye on things. View attachment 70854
Nice to see you like the Boveda packs. I need to order some of those along with the small hygrometers.
I use the basement bathroom shower a lot as I can control the temperature and humidity easily.

When I had more than I could find room for Stonemason told me about the Lotus method that uses brown paper bags and the refrigerator. Needed it a few times.
Sounds like a wonderful problem to have :) I doubt I'll be in need of extra space any time soon, but I am curious by nature and will be looking up this Lotus Method.
Better answers will arrive in the morning I’m sure. 👍
I really do appreciate you helping me out.

Stoney's got you going in the right direction with the environmental parameters for the dry/cure. Good advice there.

I use Grove Bags and love them. Just opened my last bag from my most recent harvest and it was still wonderfully delicious. No mold issues, either, even though they've been in those bags for at least two months. Wonderful investment. I just bag 'em and stuff the bags in an empty dresser.
I've seen some favorable customer reviews for the grove bags. It means a lot more coming from someone on this forum. I've pretty well set my mind on using these. Thanks Grump.

Grove Bags work really great for the finished product. Drying the weed in a cool low humidity environment is the ticket. Several folks (including Moi) like to put their cured weed in paper bags for 10 days before they go in their bags or jars....A wood thermometer to measure moisture in the bud is also a good thing to have on hand. You are crushing it outdoor there and thanks for the fair pictures....
Thanks for the feedback on the Grove Bags. I'm sold on using those at the right time, for sure. I searched those moisture meters and the first ones that popped up are less than $20. Is there a certain brand or model that I should look for, or are they all pretty much equal?

View attachment 69686

View attachment 69687

Seeing some N tox from recently… did you feed in the last few weeks? Or been hot and dry?

Is that all the same plant?

Hello all,

I like 60-65f 55-60% rh air movement but not against the buds.

First 3 days 70F and 40-50% Rh to dry the outside and then nice and slow 60-65F and 55-60% Rh until you get the moisture content of the bud between 57-61%

It all depends on the size of the buds but usually around 14 days. Even at 14 days it should be good to go into groves.

The key is always moisture going out not into the buds that what is likely to cause mold.

Then into grove bags to finish curing after 7 day min up to 14 better and past that not much difference of a dry. That allows the breakdown of sugars and starches to be completed. Curing for at least a month makes for really good smoke beyond that i don’t find to much of a benefit.

Last edited:
I would do a tent in the basement. Your numbers look good.listen to stoney he knows .Air flow helps alot,not to much not to little.the reason I say use the tent is for the carbon filter.if you are drying in your house with your family living there your gona want to do something for the smell.the day you cut it and a few days after it Will stink like you will not believe. Trust me when I say your wife or family will not be impressed . Also think about getting a trim bin that collects the kief,and a few pair of trim scissors,rubbing alchol.,and latex gloves .trim till your scissors get goopy then soak in cup of rubbing alchol until your next pair gets goopy then switch.

Seeing some N tox from recently… did you feed in the last few weeks? Or been hot and dry?
I fed a compost tea 6 days before noticing the droop. Same mix I've been using throughout, except I used FoxFarm's Marine Cuisine in place of worm castings for that one. The tea mix was Boogie Brew.

I think I first noticed the droopy leafs around August 19. Temps were pretty steady leading up to that.

Screen Shot 2024-08-29 at 4.40.45 PM.png
If it means anything, here's the daily humidity (high - average - low) for August 10-21 according to Wunderground:
Screen Shot 2024-08-29 at 4.45.17 PM.png
Is that all the same plant?
Yessir. That little video clip is scanning unaffected branches around and then on the affected area of a single plant. None of the other plants showed any drooping leafs.

Last edited:
I would do a tent in the basement. Your numbers look good.listen to stoney he knows .Air flow helps alot,not to much not to little.the reason I say use the tent is for the carbon filter.if you are drying in your house with your family living there your gona want to do something for the smell.the day you cut it and a few days after it Will stink like you will not believe. Trust me when I say your wife or family will not be impressed . Also think about getting a trim bin that collects the kief,and a few pair of trim scissors,rubbing alchol.,and latex gloves .trim till your scissors get goopy then soak in cup of rubbing alchol until your next pair gets goopy then switch.
Brother, it's almost like you know my family, lol. My wife has a super sniffer. She will appreciate you guys helping me control the smell.

On the air flow: I've seen where some people aim the fan at the wall of the tent instead of directly on the buds. Does that sound right? I also saw a youtube vid by Highigan, I think, where they had a little motor that slowly spun the drying rack. It made sense looking at it.

I fed a compost tea 6 days before noticing the droop. Same mix I've been using throughout, except I used FoxFarm's Marine Cuisine in place of worm castings for that one. The tea mix was Boogie Brew.

I think I first noticed the droopy leafs around August 19. Temps were pretty steady leading up to that.

View attachment 70906
If it means anything, here's the daily humidity (high - average - low) for August 10-21 according to Wunderground:
View attachment 70907

Yessir. That little video clip is scanning unaffected branches around and then on the affected area of a single plant. None of the other plants showed any drooping leafs.
Yeah i wouldn’t worry too much if the rest of the plant is fine. It could be that branch was damaged or a beetle bore into it or something. You can look for a lump or damage on that stem or at the node bit not overly concerning if the rest of the plant is healthy

Thanks Stoney. If I'm following what you're sharing: Say my target temp is off by a few degrees... I should adjust my humidity to meet the targeted dew point. Example: Temp = 64℉ and Humidity = 60% giving me a Dew Point of 49.4℉, I could bring the humidity up to 69% to hit the target dew point of 54℉? Or, should I really be working on a way to bring that temp up to 68℉? Any thoughts on a reasonable range for temps as long as I'm still hitting the targeted dew point?

I'm really looking forward to seeing where you end up with your dry box project 🍿

i really feel the dew point is the most important number. within reason that is, but your temp is within 3* so you're well within reason. so yes, if you can only adjust one parameter than make it match to the proper dew point. if it would be more than a five point swing on either temp or rh then it would need a combo change. but just a couple degrees can be negotiated if the temp is a little lower it will just take a couple extra days maybe.

but don't prepare to much for that yet. get your essentials in to dry first, like your tent, a small fan, and something for odor control. and yes it will stink!! like roadkill in an AZ dumpster in the middle of july kind of stink!!! it will only linger strong for three or four days then it settles down a little.

you have options for the stink, best is a sealed controlled area. next would be a carbon scrubber of sorts, and last would be an ONA or other deodorizers.

i've never owned a tent but i bet you could seal one pretty ez, your basement numbers are so close i bet in a tent with a small fan inside for air movement your temps would rise up to a perfect 68* then you just control your rh and you're golden! you're constant cool basement is whats gonna help you.

and like others said small air flow, not blowing on the buds, something small blowing in the corner to help with evaporation.

you want it to dry on the slower side, the faster the dry the harsher it can be. low and slow gives you a smooth smoke. less than a week is to fast more than two weeks is to slow.

as a beginner i suggest you go with the stem snap method on choosing final dryness. your medium size stems should break in half clean when ready. not bend. the side branch buds should break from the stem cleanly when ready, if it strings away when pulled on it needs more time.

keep your plants growing great like that and you will have a bountiful harvest!!!

Last edited:
i really feel the dew point is the most important number. within reason that is, but your temp is within 3* so you're well within reason. so yes, if you can only adjust one parameter than make it match to the proper dew point. if it would be more than a five point swing on either temp or rh then it would need a combo change. but just a couple degrees can be negotiated if the temp is a little lower it will just take a couple extra days maybe.

but don't prepare to much for that yet. get your essentials in to dry first, like your tent, a small fan, and something for odor control. and yes it will stink!! like roadkill in an AZ dumpster in the middle of july kind of stink!!! it will only linger strong for three or four days then it settles down a little.

you have options for the stink, best is a sealed controlled area. next would be a carbon scrubber of sorts, and last would be an ONA or other deodorizers.

i've never owned a tent but i bet you could seal one pretty ez, your basement numbers are so close i bet in a tent with a small fan inside for air movement your temps would rise up to a perfect 68* then you just control your rh and you're golden! you're constant cool basement is whats gonna help you.

and like others said small air flow, not blowing on the buds, something small blowing in the corner to help with evaporation.

you want it to dry on the slower side, the faster the dry the harsher it can be. low and slow gives you a smooth smoke. less than a week is to fast more than two weeks is to slow.

as a beginner i suggest you go with the stem snap method on choosing final dryness. your medium size stems should break in half clean when ready. not bend. the side branch buds should break from the stem cleanly when ready, if it strings away when pulled on it needs more time.

keep your plants growing great like that and you will have a bountiful harvest!!!
This is an absolute wealth of helpful information. Thanks Stoney. I have a lot better idea of stuff I can do to prep for the post harvest stages. Is it wrong to be excited for the AZ dumpster stink?

Just a short update:

Tent, inline fan and carbon filter, clip fan for tent and drying racks have been ordered. Weird, but it almost feels like I'm jinxing myself. Like, nature is gonna ask, "Who is this fool that thinks anything will make it to harvest on his first attempt? I'll show him." We shall see...

It doesn't help that it has been raining the last two days. Butter Waves is furthest into flower and she got heavy with water. I'm paying the price for not growing them through a trellis like I had planned to do. I was short on daylight, but hammered in some stakes and ran twine around to provide some support. Then I hit all of the plants with gentle blasts from the leaf blower. It absolutely knocked some water off. It's supposed to be dry and heat up some tomorrow. I'm hoping that will be good enough to dry up the excess moisture. I have powdery mildew on the brain. I'll be smoking myself to sleep, lol.

IMG_7511.png

I didn't take any photos of the other plants. Sour Diesel and Slurty3 seem to be progressing in flower faster than Butter Waves has. Slurty is the tallest at 7'-6". They both seem to have stronger limbs than the other two plants. Jet Fuel Odder Popz is more indica dominant. She is as fat as she is tall with wispy stems. I'm definitely going to have to work on providing some support for her, but I'm busy af through Thursday. Probably be something I work on next weekend.

Here's some extra photos I took of Butter Waves:

IMG_7514.pngIMG_7512.pngIMG_7508.pngIMG_7507.png

I think it's getting close to harvest time for Butter Waves. I took some photos with the cheapo bluetooth microscope after work. I was surprised to see more amber trichomes near the top of the plant than at the bottom. I guess the top gets more light and matures faster?

IMG_7554.pngImage_2024-09-09 19_01_25_602.pngImage_2024-09-09 19_02_12_119.pngImage_2024-09-09 19_02_49_118.pngImage_2024-09-09 19_03_21_126.pngImage_2024-09-09 19_03_45_039.png

Back
Top Bottom