MDK

Strain Encyclopedia
Reaction score
I'm coming down to my last week or two of my current indoor run. I plan on doing a partial tear down of my tent and full cleaning. I am in a basement so daddy long leg spiders have found their way to the back side I can't get to and above the tent between the floor joists. I've had no real pest issues, very tiny amount of gnats that have all but disappeared, my fly strip has like 10 total on it. Anyway, I know bleach, vinegar, and isopropyl alcohol could be used to wipe everything down, but I was curious about a biocide. I have hospital grade biocide used for cleaning up my home after a flood. It kills everything. Is there any reason I should not use this? I plan on airing out the tent for a couple days to get my life together before i start my next run.

Any advice especially on the biocide would be greatly appreciated.

I started using biocide last year after we received a pup that was sick with parvo. Couple words of warning as they feel obligatory.

DO NOT EVER MIX BLEACH AND ANY KIND OF ACID. This will make chlorine gas and has a very high likelihood of harming life or even killing it entirely.

Kk now that we've covered that, onto room turnover. Start with your basic cleanup -- sweep, dust, take all fans and lights down. Get a solid cursory clean knocked out as most cleaning agents are ineffective in the presence of organic matter. Gotta have everything "clean" so we can get it real clean.

Next, wipe everything down with ISO. Get all around the poles in the tent, every square inch you can reach. If you have a removable floor in the tent, pull that out and take it outside for its cleaning. Let the ISO fully dry and give it a couple hours just to be 100% sure everything is good to go. Next, follow up with bleach. A 10:1 mix of COLD water:bleach (bleach becomes ineffective in hot water, so always use cold). Get a rag nice and wet and soak everything in the tent. Once every surface is thoroughly wet and wiped clean, leave it to dry completely. This is critical -- you don't want to rinse the bleach off as it'll off-gas anyways and in the process will kill the majority of nasty shit as it does. Come back the next day and rinse everything off with a clean rag and water. Let dry.

Now, for treating with biocide. I've used a couple different ones and prefer one over the other. Rescue (on amazon for veterinary use) is insanely effective. 1 cup per gallon of cold water goes a long way. This shit suds like crazy, though, and if you don't rinse it off it will leave everything with a sticky film. Follow the instructions for use. The other, called Sniper (also available on Amazon) is a use-right-from-the-jug variety. This shit is amazing. It's safe for kids, pets, you... and it cleans like a mofo. Also follow the instructions for proper use. Both are capable of killing 99.98% of microbiological life including drug resistant bacteria and viruses. Good shit to keep around the house in general.

For some of the cleaners (bleach solution, sniper, rescue) i actually load up a pump garden sprayer just because a fine mist can get places i can't reach with a rag. Just wear a respirator and eye protection as all that kind of shit is awful rude on the sinus and ocular cavities. Makes for easy cleaning of the removable tent floor too -- soak the bastard with solution, hose it down, let it dry. scrub the shit that is stuck on with a hard bristled brush (like you'd use to clean tile -- not wire, the plastic variety).

Now that all the heavy lifting inside the tent is done, anything you're going to reuse (lights, fans, plumbing, etc) needs to be cleaned. A round of ISO and a round of bleach is typically what I do. Be careful with ISO and bleach around electrical components as both are corrosive and can strip insulation from windings in fans as well as damage circuitry on LED boards. Big centrifugal fans get hit with some canned air or compressed air to clear out any dust accumulation.

The outside of the tent should get a good vacuum and wipe down with ISO. Given the environmental conditions the outside sees, I personally don't put too much effort into going "nuclear" as I do on the inside of the tent.

Didn't mean this to be condescending or dismissive of experience @MDK, figured it's worthwhile to write up a process so other newer growers can understand just because harvest came, if they want to harvest again without problems, taking these kind of measures can be the difference between a headache for a next run or another end-to-end run without problems.

I'm coming down to my last week or two of my current indoor run. I plan on doing a partial tear down of my tent and full cleaning. I am in a basement so daddy long leg spiders have found their way to the back side I can't get to and above the tent between the floor joists. I've had no real pest issues, very tiny amount of gnats that have all but disappeared, my fly strip has like 10 total on it. Anyway, I know bleach, vinegar, and isopropyl alcohol could be used to wipe everything down, but I was curious about a biocide. I have hospital grade biocide used for cleaning up my home after a flood. It kills everything. Is there any reason I should not use this? I plan on airing out the tent for a couple days to get my life together before i start my next run.

Any advice especially on the biocide would be greatly appreciated.
I mix bleach water with a one to eight ratio and wipe everything down. I pull my vent hose and soak it in a five gallon bucket, hang it to dry. I’m scared of hospital grade anything. Never heard of plants having staff nor strep nor influenza. I’d skip that and not breathe anymore chemicals than I had too.
I also buy cold compressed orange oil, mix it with water and spray around the outside of my tents. Mites, spiders..everything hates it. Smells good too 😜
Just my opinion.

Daddy Long Legs eat spider mites. Whatever you do try not to harm them.

What kind of biocide is it? Most of the biocides for hospitals that I've seen are for bacteria and microbes. Not sure if they're going to take care of any pests.
Yea it's mostly for mold spores and shit like that...any nasty pathogen flood contamination can carry. Good for treating studs and shit like that when you tear out moldy drywall.

As @tobh said, I pull it all apart too. Take the lights out, even wiping down each cord etc. I call it a tear down as that’s what it is. A complete tear down. I do it between every crop.
In ten plus years now of an indoor grow, I have had mites one time, the result of a “gifted” clone and powdery mildew, due to my own stupidity.

Yea it's mostly for mold spores and shit like that...any nasty pathogen flood contamination can carry. Good for treating studs and shit like that when you tear out moldy drywall.
fungicides and the like can be pretty damn caustic man, i'd be cautious with that. They also tend to be fairly focused on what they target, so things like botrytis, TMV, HpLV, and pythium may not be impacted whereas something like Rescue and/or Sniper both are capable of wiping those kinds of nasty things out.

As @tobh said, I pull it all apart too. Take the lights out, even wiping down each cord etc. I call it a tear down as that’s what it is. A complete tear down. I do it between every crop.
In ten plus years now of an indoor grow, I have had mites one time, the result of a “gifted” clone and powdery mildew, due to my own stupidity.
will second this. i've been fortunate enough to not ever deal with mites or PM indoors. Have had botrytis a couple times due to insufficient environmental controls and too much plant in too small a space, but the other nasties I've avoided in part to (at least i think) doing a tear down between each run. a couple days and a few hours worth of work are well worth the damn near year worth of harvest each run.

I started using biocide last year after we received a pup that was sick with parvo. Couple words of warning as they feel obligatory.

DO NOT EVER MIX BLEACH AND ANY KIND OF ACID. This will make chlorine gas and has a very high likelihood of harming life or even killing it entirely.

Kk now that we've covered that, onto room turnover. Start with your basic cleanup -- sweep, dust, take all fans and lights down. Get a solid cursory clean knocked out as most cleaning agents are ineffective in the presence of organic matter. Gotta have everything "clean" so we can get it real clean.

Next, wipe everything down with ISO. Get all around the poles in the tent, every square inch you can reach. If you have a removable floor in the tent, pull that out and take it outside for its cleaning. Let the ISO fully dry and give it a couple hours just to be 100% sure everything is good to go. Next, follow up with bleach. A 10:1 mix of COLD water:bleach (bleach becomes ineffective in hot water, so always use cold). Get a rag nice and wet and soak everything in the tent. Once every surface is thoroughly wet and wiped clean, leave it to dry completely. This is critical -- you don't want to rinse the bleach off as it'll off-gas anyways and in the process will kill the majority of nasty shit as it does. Come back the next day and rinse everything off with a clean rag and water. Let dry.

Now, for treating with biocide. I've used a couple different ones and prefer one over the other. Rescue (on amazon for veterinary use) is insanely effective. 1 cup per gallon of cold water goes a long way. This shit suds like crazy, though, and if you don't rinse it off it will leave everything with a sticky film. Follow the instructions for use. The other, called Sniper (also available on Amazon) is a use-right-from-the-jug variety. This shit is amazing. It's safe for kids, pets, you... and it cleans like a mofo. Also follow the instructions for proper use. Both are capable of killing 99.98% of microbiological life including drug resistant bacteria and viruses. Good shit to keep around the house in general.

For some of the cleaners (bleach solution, sniper, rescue) i actually load up a pump garden sprayer just because a fine mist can get places i can't reach with a rag. Just wear a respirator and eye protection as all that kind of shit is awful rude on the sinus and ocular cavities. Makes for easy cleaning of the removable tent floor too -- soak the bastard with solution, hose it down, let it dry. scrub the shit that is stuck on with a hard bristled brush (like you'd use to clean tile -- not wire, the plastic variety).

Now that all the heavy lifting inside the tent is done, anything you're going to reuse (lights, fans, plumbing, etc) needs to be cleaned. A round of ISO and a round of bleach is typically what I do. Be careful with ISO and bleach around electrical components as both are corrosive and can strip insulation from windings in fans as well as damage circuitry on LED boards. Big centrifugal fans get hit with some canned air or compressed air to clear out any dust accumulation.

The outside of the tent should get a good vacuum and wipe down with ISO. Given the environmental conditions the outside sees, I personally don't put too much effort into going "nuclear" as I do on the inside of the tent.

Didn't mean this to be condescending or dismissive of experience @MDK, figured it's worthwhile to write up a process so other newer growers can understand just because harvest came, if they want to harvest again without problems, taking these kind of measures can be the difference between a headache for a next run or another end-to-end run without problems.
No offense taken, well said and clearly written out. I kinda replied in a backwards manner....you and roots posts came up for me after a refresh, weird.

Anyway yea I use a backpack sprayer if I use it, the brand I have is Shockwave also have odo-ban but only used it as a secondary go behind spray post flood because it was scented.

The Shockwave is hella strong...2 oz to 4 oz per gallon20230618_212801.jpg

No offense taken, well said and clearly written out. I kinda replied in a backwards manner....you and roots posts came up for me after a refresh, weird.

Anyway yea I use a backpack sprayer if I use it, the brand I have is Shockwave also have odo-ban but only used it as a secondary go behind spray post flood because it was scented.

The Shockwave is hella strong...2 oz to 4 oz per gallonView attachment 8584
man, that shockwave is basically bleach on steroids. be hella cautious using that man. Odo-ban is great stuff for cleaning up urine and other hard-to-eliminate stuff like mildew. it's also not going to be as corrosive as ammonium chloride or sodium chloride chemicals.

that's my one rub using bleach -- it's so damn corrosive that anything that's not thoroughly painted, powder coated, or plated will rust after only a couple teardowns. the tabs that hold my tent poles together barely move anymore. this move was probably the last before i just have to cut the poles next time. all good, since tents are meant to be replaceable and temporary but still. it's really indicative of the whole idea of only using such strong stuff occasionally and sparingly.

Next, wipe everything down with ISO. Get all around the poles in the tent, every square inch you can reach. If you have a removable floor in the tent, pull that out and take it outside for its cleaning. Let the ISO fully dry and give it a couple hours just to be 100% sure everything is good to go. Next, follow up with bleach. A 10:1 mix of COLD water:bleach (bleach becomes ineffective in hot water, so always use cold)Not true. Bleach is as effective hot or cold. Get a rag nice and wet and soak everything in the tent. Once every surface is thoroughly wet and wiped clean, leave it to dry completely. This is critical -- you don't want to rinse the bleach off as it'll off-gas anyways and in the process will kill the majority of nasty shit as it does. Come back the next day and rinse everything off with a clean rag and water. Let dry. I use hydrogen peroxide to neutralize then do a clean water rinse/wipe.

For some of the cleaners (bleach solution, sniper, rescue) i actually load up a pump garden sprayer just because a fine mist can get places i can't reach with a rag. Just wear a respirator and eye protection as all that kind of shit is awful rude on the sinus and ocular cavities.

I use Medina's Orange Oil in place of I think where many would use iso or bleach.

Few reasons here as mentioned by CG...Kills and repels bugs, Seriously Y'all...Bug absolutely hate it. It will kill everything from spider mites to fire ants to bed bugs. I haven't met a bug yet it won't kill. And that aroma & residue where left keeps them away and not even wanting to enter.
I wouldn't spray it on infested plants though unless it was just to mist the top of soil or coco to kill gnats & springtails.

What I love about it is the active ingredient, d-limonene. Limonene is a terp and we find it in cannabis. So I just think it's pretty cool how it's kept in the family like that. Granted orange oil is a billion times more concentrated in oranges than cannabis but still I get the warm and fuzzies using it because it's in the circle of trust.

Makes for a helluva cleaner and degreaser. Similar to something like Simple Green as far as being a cleaning product

I mentioned Medina and for two reasons..Medina is in the agriculture game and they're local to me. From their orange oil, Hasta-Gro plant food, and Horticulture Molasses, their products are on point when it comes to using them for gardening so you're getting orange oil made for that and not made for aromatherapy or some other purpose.
I pay $20/quart for it local and Amazon sells it for $30. If you have a good local organic garden center nearby there's a good chance they'll carry it and maybe for that lower price.

How much consideration should be given to the location of the tent when choosing cleaning and disinfection agents?

Our two tents are currently in a room near the kitchen. There's a lot of air flow between that room and the rest of the house. So, we worry about the effect on the human occupants, and even more importantly, the cats.

How much consideration should be given to the location of the tent when choosing cleaning and disinfection agents?

Our two tents are currently in a room near the kitchen. There's a lot of air flow between that room and the rest of the house. So, we worry about the effect on the human occupants, and even more importantly, the cats.
The basic ones that @tobh mentioned should suffice. Orange oil is also good. None of those cleaners should be harmful to any humans or pets.

I don't think location matters unless the fumes bother you but I doubt they are in high enough a concentration to do any harm although it would probably be best that any animals not be allowed to lick or get near the equipment before it's been neutralized.

When I touch the walls after a grow they are sticky so I assume that most of the stuff that gets stuck to the inner walls of the tent are byproducts of what come off of the plant itself carried by water vapor. To remove plant residue when I'm working on them requires Isopropyl alcohol to clean my hands. This leads me to believe that what is on the walls is probably what sticks to my hands so I first do an alcohol wipe down of all the inner surfaces along with poles and any equipment that spent time in the tent. I follow that with a warm water wipe down then follow with another wipe down but with bleach. I let the bleach do its thing for a few minutes then neutralize it with a hydrogen peroxide wipe down. I follow that with another warm water wipe down and let dry.

Anyone got anything on how to clean a carbon filter? I think I can get another grow out of mine maybe 2. Is it safe to rinse them with water and let them dry or hook them to the fan to push air thru it to dry it? Just charcoal and filters should be fine right?

Ok so water can damage them apparently....Google says just to wipe it clean...hmm

Last edited:
Anyone got anything on how to clean a carbon filter? I think I can get another grow out of mine maybe 2. Is it safe to rinse them with water and let them dry or hook them to the fan to push air thru it to dry it? Just charcoal and filters should be fine right?

Ok so water can damage them apparently....Google says just to wipe it clean...hmm
IF you have a large enough vessel you can stick the whole thing in a boiling vat of water for around an hour or so. This should clean and recharge the charcoal.

Flip it end for end, (ac infinity filters)

At the farm there was a thread 7 or 8 years ago heating/burning the carbon with a propane burner. I don't remember the process but do remember the thread

Back
Top Bottom