Cloning

GoodShit97

G$
Staff member
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
I need help people.
All my clones leaves keep turning brown and rotting....
I thought too much moisture but Idfk why anymore, ive completely removed the dome and its still happening. Ill grab some pics in a sec, cloner is sitting in ambient light, on top of my pellet stove to stay warm so being too cold isnt an option. 20240118_070304.jpg20240118_070309.jpg

Its gotta be the environment or plugs im using because i got new plugs this time and have had nothing but issues with these ones.

Its definitely not bugs i know for a fact. Everything is super clean and healthy.

Here are the moms, not even an unhappy leaf in there man. View attachment 39764
The fans eventually end up the same as the new growth but once i see the new growth browning i toss em before they mold/rot causing further issues.
Cloner always gets cleaned before and after using it so its always clean. I soak my scissors and knife in straight 91% iso for 5 mins before doing anything and in between strains.

Everything is kept wicked clean so im guessing its environmental all the way.

Gonna buy an aero cloner in 2 weeks when i get my check and hope this just goes away. Ive never liked this cloner dohicky anyway, i think its stupid.

I like my aero-cloner so I expect you'll enjoy yours. It makes cloning pretty simple. Below are a few tips I have. Others will likely have their own ideas to add as well.

I use a product in the reservoir called Rez-clear. It helps keep the water sanitary. I also always changed the water once a week until roots had set in and you're transplanting. I also use clonex gel rooting hormone. I think it helps things along and speeds up the process. Also as mentioned by others at different times through the thread, clipping the leaf tips slows down photosynthesis and kind of forces the cutting to concentrate on forming roots. Yellowing can also be caused by too much light intensity so keep the cloner in the shadows or on a shelf under a cheap LED shop light. Even a cold white LED bulb would work.

I'm thinking of making a small DIY aero cloner like Zens. How long do I need to keep the pump spraying water over the clone? Air stone in the reservoir?
I think that is going to depend on how big your reservoir is. Mine is 4 gals and I have zero heat issues letting it run 24/7. I go about 10 - 15 days before thinking about a res change. I do run clear res in it which helps too in keeping it clean. My main thing is getting it all settled before I stick a clone in it. By that I mean I adjust ph to 5.8 and let it run until that 5.8 remains stable. I don’t add a thing to the solution nutrient wise. Just plain water ph adjusted. I have 100% success with it.

I'm thinking of making a small DIY aero cloner like Zens. How long do I need to keep the pump spraying water over the clone? Air stone in the reservoir?
Freezeland replied too, a lot depends on size.

Mine is much smaller, I think it might hold a gallon.

I use something like this

1705610169740.png

and do 15 on, 15 off. You can never reach in there and find anything dry, and puts half the watts into the water. I imagine if I had more water volume, it might not be needed, just extra shit to go wrong. Without it, water temps will easily climb past 80 for me.

You will nail this man! I got faith.
Right now the cloner is sitting at 72 and 72, has been since this morning so thats within range now and the dome itself isnt fogged over with humidity so thats good too.

Im not gonna lie, water scares me. I forget and flood shit on the regular so i gotta watch myself 🤦🏻

Alright so im gonna buy one, its final

@Rootsruler, i wont build one cause i dont have the stuff i need to make the cuts in the lid, or a pump/nozzles so i think 50 bucks for one thats all set up and ready to go is a good deal. Especially for me lol

View attachment 39769

and do 15 on, 15 off. You can never reach in there and find anything dry, and puts half the watts into the water. I imagine if I had more water volume, it might not be needed, just extra shit to go wrong. Without it, water temps will easily climb past 80 for me.
Mine hovers around 72 - 75. Ambient temp in room factors too.

@Rootsruler, i wont build one cause i dont have the stuff i need to make the cuts in the lid, or a pump/nozzles so i think 50 bucks for one thats all set up and ready to go is a good deal. Especially for me lol
Don’t forget to get a ph pen since you stepped on the one you had.

Ahhh fuck.
I dont have any of that stuff anymore.
Welp. There goes another 50-75 bucks for a ph pen and ph up n down 🤦🏻🤦🏻
I actually prefer using GH's pH drops. You match the color to the chart on the bottle. I use that most of the time even though I have a Blue Labs pH meter. It (the drops) won't break the bank and its accurate enough for what you're doing with the cloning process.

How long is ph up n down good for? Apparently i still have some.

I also have ph up n down for aquariums?

For a little bucket like that I can get a pump for around $10. The bucket I can find somewhere for free. I already got a hole saw but a utility knife and some patience will do the job. I'll see if the Dollar store has any of those foam tiles and cut them to the size of the hole I make for plugs.

For a little bucket like that I can get a pump for around $10. The bucket I can find somewhere for free. I already got a hole saw but a utility knife and some patience will do the job. I'll see if the Dollar store has any of those foam tiles and cut them to the size of the hole I make for plugs.
Agreed ... an Aero-cloner is an easy DIY. Its easily built from a container, a submersible pump, some styrofoam, some pvc and fittings plus the nozzles. Once again, purchase extra 360 degree nozzles. They are cheap and getting one working again once its clogged is not always successful. It can be built in an hour or less ... or purchased already made if that's what a person decides.

I think that is going to depend on how big your reservoir is. Mine is 4 gals and I have zero heat issues letting it run 24/7. I go about 10 - 15 days before thinking about a res change. I do run clear res in it which helps too in keeping it clean. My main thing is getting it all settled before I stick a clone in it. By that I mean I adjust ph to 5.8 and let it run until that 5.8 remains stable. I don’t add a thing to the solution nutrient wise. Just plain water ph adjusted. I have 100% success with it.

OK. So the issue is more solution temperature stability more than anything else? IOW, if I get a really small pump like the ones they use in those desktop waterfalls heat shouldn't be an issue? I'm thinking of using a 2 or 3 gallon bucket.

View attachment 39769

Cool. This answers my other question. So I can program my timer to do intermittent spraying and the clones will be ok with it.

Thanks!!! 🤘

I use baking soda to pH up and lemon juice or lime juice to pH down...cheap AF....5 total doll hairs just be sure to refrigerate the lemon juice after you open it eventually molds if not
I know white vinegar works to lower ph too, just not for very long from what i read

The lemon juice for me would last for quite a while, 4 or 5 days before my pH would drift and need another adjustment or change. My ppms would drop tho too so the plants were eating...I wasn't sure if the pH drifted or the ppms going down was causing the pH to move....either way I've had no issues this past year or so with the lemon juice....just check your pH daily or bi daily

The lemon juice for me would last for quite a while, 4 or 5 days before my pH would drift and need another adjustment or change. My ppms would drop tho too so the plants were eating...I wasn't sure if the pH drifted or the ppms going down was causing the pH to move....either way I've had no issues this past year or so with the lemon juice....just check your pH daily or bi daily
So lemon juice is citric acid. A weak organic acid. This is from Science in Hydroponics:

Common food grade organic acids (citric acid, acetic acid, etc): Organic acids are a very low cost way to lower the pH of a hydroponic solution as many of these are available off the shelf in super markets in food grade qualities. The main issue with organic acids – which anyone who has used them has probably experimented – is that the effect of the acids does not seem to hold (pH goes up quickly after the acid is added and the solution comes into contact with plants). This is actually caused by the fact that plants and microbes can actually use the conjugated bases of these ions nutritionally, causing an increase in pH when they do so. The initial addition of say, citric acid, will drop the pH – generating citrate ions in the process – these will then be absorbed by microbes and plants, increasing the pH again rapidly. The use of these acids is therefore not recommended in hydroponics.

Cool website if you want to look under the covers of how PH works

Bottom line, if long term stability is what you are looking for, stick with the PH Up and Down products for hydro or fish.

If you are really feeling froggy, start with a potassium silicate product like Agsil16 first to send PH up, then counteract with PH down to set at 5.8. The end result is MSA in plant ready form (yum - awesome molecule for plants) and a buffered PH capacity that actively resists changes in PH.

Forget all this if you just want an easy 2 week cloner run, just use PH UP or Down as needed. Profit.

If you are really feeling froggy, start with a potassium silicate product like Agsil16 first to send PH up, then counteract with PH down to set at 5.8. The end result is MSA in plant ready form (yum - awesome molecule for plants) and a buffered PH capacity that actively resists changes in PH.

Wat8 (1).jpg

So lemon juice is citric acid. A weak organic acid. This is from Science in Hydroponics:

Common food grade organic acids (citric acid, acetic acid, etc): Organic acids are a very low cost way to lower the pH of a hydroponic solution as many of these are available off the shelf in super markets in food grade qualities. The main issue with organic acids – which anyone who has used them has probably experimented – is that the effect of the acids does not seem to hold (pH goes up quickly after the acid is added and the solution comes into contact with plants). This is actually caused by the fact that plants and microbes can actually use the conjugated bases of these ions nutritionally, causing an increase in pH when they do so. The initial addition of say, citric acid, will drop the pH – generating citrate ions in the process – these will then be absorbed by microbes and plants, increasing the pH again rapidly. The use of these acids is therefore not recommended in hydroponics.

Cool website if you want to look under the covers of how PH works

Bottom line, if long term stability is what you are looking for, stick with the PH Up and Down products for hydro or fish.

Forget all this if you just want an easy 2 week cloner run, just use PH UP or Down as needed. Profit.
Yea I'm using shit in soil so I guess it prolly don't matter as much. Now thinking I believe after a couple hours I readjusted the pH...prolly because the plants could use some stuff out of the lemon juice like ya said. I gave up on the aero cloner for the time being tho....did a side by side my way vs aero and I had 100% my way and like 25% with the aero cloner so I canned it to the side for the time being. I'll get pH up and down to use with it next time maybe it'd turn up my success rate a bit

I had a feeling I should have quit while I was ahead. Not everyone wants to be a hydro geek.

Truthfully PH is less important in a cloner than in standard hydro. PH out to lunch in hydro - expect problems because it effects nute uptake bigtime.

In a cloner situation, you are not really trying to grow the plant by passing it nutes, you are trying to grow roots. Nutes are actually optional.

So forget what I said, mmmkay? Verbal vomit that just confuses things! My bad.

Yea I'm using shit in soil so I guess it prolly don't matter as much. Now thinking I believe after a couple hours I readjusted the pH...prolly because the plants could use some stuff out of the lemon juice like ya said. I gave up on the aero cloner for the time being tho....did a side by side my way vs aero and I had 100% my way and like 25% with the aero cloner so I canned it to the side for the time being. I'll get pH up and down to use with it next time maybe it'd turn up my success rate a bit
With soil you got a whole different issue called CEC. But I'm done being sciency on G$'s thread so google that shit yourself lol.

I'll go out there since the topic has some attention.
The last two weeks up till the 23 are bad times according to the moon to plant ,prune or clone.
I don't think it makes or breaks the show but I believe there is an effect.
Full moon and following 2 weeks are clone and seedling time.

Back
Top Bottom