Cloning

GoodShit97

G$
Staff member
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
I need help people.
All my clones leaves keep turning brown and rotting....
I thought too much moisture but Idfk why anymore, ive completely removed the dome and its still happening. Ill grab some pics in a sec, cloner is sitting in ambient light, on top of my pellet stove to stay warm so being too cold isnt an option. 20240118_070304.jpg20240118_070309.jpg

I'll go out there since the topic has some attention.
The last two weeks up till the 23 are bad times according to the moon to plant ,prune or clone.
I don't think it makes or breaks the show but I believe there is an effect.
Full moon and following 2 weeks are clone and seedling time.
Tell my peanut butter breath that, lol.

I need help people.
All my clones leaves keep turning brown and rotting....
I thought too much moisture but Idfk why anymore, ive completely removed the dome and its still happening. Ill grab some pics in a sec, cloner is sitting in ambient light, on top of my pellet stove to stay warm so being too cold isnt an option. View attachment 39689View attachment 39690

maybe too warm... i never waited to see if my leaves get like that but when my stems get all mushy like that then i know i have to wait till summer is over to clone again..

did you say you have it on top of your pellet stove? like where you put pellets in, man that's gotta be very warm, is it even under 80*? you're growing roots not rising bread. :LOL:

maybe too warm... i never waited to see if my leaves get like that but when my stems get all mushy like that then i know i have to wait till summer is over to clone again..

did you say you have it on top of your pellet stove? like where you put pellets in, man that's gotta be very warm, is it even under 80*? you're growing roots not rising bread. :LOL:
Haha yeah its on top of the pellet stove, sitting on 2 resting racks so it sits like 1-1.5" above the stove.
I run my stove really low so its only about as warm as a heating pad, maybe not even as hot, my cats lay on it all the time, its realy just warm. Like 80-85? Maybe?

There is 6 inches of insulation around the fire box and then the outer covering so it doesnt get that warm at all other than on the face of it.

Haha yeah its on top of the pellet stove, sitting on 2 resting racks so it sits like 1-1.5" above the stove.
I run my stove really low so its only about as warm as a heating pad, maybe not even as hot, my cats lay on it all the time, its realy just warm. Like 80-85? Maybe?

There is 6 inches of insulation around the fire box and then the outer covering so it doesnt get that warm at all other than on the face of it.

it could be just the radiant heat rising up through the leaves?? 80-85 is pretty warm... 65-70 would be better... 75 -77 tops IMO..

do you have a laser therm to read the leaf temp?

it could be just the radiant heat rising up through the leaves?? 80-85 is pretty warm... 65-70 would be better... 75 -77 tops IMO..

do you have a laser therm to read the leaf temp?
I do not.
I have it moved off the stove and on top of my rabbits cage next to the stove. Seems to have stabilized around 72/72 +/- a few but has been staying in the 70s, both temp and rh.

You got a link to this pump? All im finding are 30-50 dollar ones.
I can get a hole saw and a bucket w/ lid tomorrow lol.
Do you use Ebay? A quick search found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2937465864...aiJ4ht6tr77rvX8tvoxGJXXU4=|tkp:Bk9SR7qB__KkYw

I am not necessarily recommending that particular pump or the seller. You'd have to do the research on both to determine if you wanted to pursue it ... The price is $10.49 + tax with free shipping for the 160GPH unit. If you're willing to shop online, you'll likely be in the $10-$12 range for a small submersible pump.

Do you use Ebay? A quick search found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293746586486?hash=item4464a93376:g:C5cAAOSwOjtfaMny&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0ATDP/fU4y7nn2zYjgs/tZWtjElcZjb9aerAAL3seqEJ5OFpD89Ilycyao0a0CAXRiJaB4ZdBrir4tolgYPOXydz3Yd7NJCR6OIF5s/3dCBPDuxl8ggtzkXvgODK3ygE84rqr9ogQVsMRlzAqkTwdpRVxi4S6R8jJDBTegC1zhic2bQfuU8w1bLRhCkekPPiXBS4LIoSeaGr6LODrh4zEfg1Qq9g/Fjb98UAoX/sQkrTi7jaC8oHK5MDtjZYQMaiJ4ht6tr77rvX8tvoxGJXXU4=|tkp:Bk9SR7qB__KkYw

I am not necessarily recommending that particular pump or the seller. You'd have to do the research on both to determine if you wanted to pursue it ... The price is $10.49 + tax with free shipping for the 160GPH unit. If you're willing to shop online, you'll likely be in the $10-$12 range for a small submersible pump.
Im not huge on using ebay, but i do sometimes.

Ive been looking since i posted asking for a link and ive found quite a few in the 7.99-15.99 range, just gotta research them before i buy.

Im not huge on using ebay, but i do sometimes.

Ive been looking since i posted asking for a link and ive found quite a few in the 7.99-15.99 range, just gotta research them before i buy.

I use Ebay about as much as I use Amazon. I've had pretty good success on Ebay and when I have had a problem, Ebay has stepped in and resolved it. Here's an example of a cheap container and lid at Menards:

The nice thing about a lid like that is the squares help you keep your spacing. Use a hole saw. Tighten the bit in it so it won't come lose and then run it in REVERSE. Plastic will crack and the cracks will run if you try to use it in your normal forward setting.

P.S. 12 gallons is likely larger than you need.

I use Ebay about as much as I use Amazon. I've had pretty good success on Ebay and when I have had a problem, Ebay has stepped in and resolved it. Here's an example of a cheap container and lid at Menards:

The nice thing about a lid like that is the squares help you keep your spacing. Use a hole saw. Tighten the bit in it so it won't come lose and then run it in REVERSE. Plastic will crack and the cracks will run if you try to use it in your normal forward setting.

P.S. 12 gallons is likely larger than you need.
Appreciate the tips!

I think im gonna get the 5 gallon bucket thats the same design as that tote. They're 11 bucks at lowes and i like the quality of them plus they're black already lol.

AQUANEAT Submersible Water Pump, 80GPH Fountain Pump, Small Water Pump, Aquarium Pump for Fish Tank, Outdoor Water Fountain, Hydroponics, Pond https://www.walmart.com/ip/1419516298

I found this little turd too^^ but i havent looked into it yet to see if its any good.

Appreciate the tips!

I think im gonna get the 5 gallon bucket thats the same design as that tote. They're 11 bucks at lowes and i like the quality of them plus they're black already lol.

AQUANEAT Submersible Water Pump, 80GPH Fountain Pump, Small Water Pump, Aquarium Pump for Fish Tank, Outdoor Water Fountain, Hydroponics, Pond https://www.walmart.com/ip/1419516298

I found this little turd too^^ but i havent looked into it yet to see if its any good.
No problem there ... choose the container you think will best fit your idea and budget. I'm also in agreement with @steamroller about opting for the 160GPH pump.

Edit: Here's another tip for working with your hole saw in that plastic .... Use duct tape to reinforce the plastic. I'd put 3 to 4 squares of tape on top of each other. The tape squares should be larger than the hole saw. This gives you more support and a lot less chance of tearing the plastic. Place the lid on a board and use a C-clamp to anchor it. It could catch and spin on you even running in reverse if it's not anchored. This set-up should give you plenty of support ... and if you go slow, there's very little chance for error.

Last edited:
^^ Good reviews ^^. Aquaneat is an aquarium brand many use.
I would go for the 160GPH for the extra $2-3.
Sweet! Ill grab that this week and the rest of the stuff next week.
No problem there ... choose the container you think will best fit your idea and budget. I'm also in agreement with @steamroller about opting for the 160GPH pump.

Edit: Here's another tip for working with your hole saw in that plastic .... Use duct tape to reinforce the plastic. I'd put 3 to 4 squares of tape on top of each other. The tape squares should be larger than the hole saw. This gives you more support and a lot less chance of tearing the plastic. Place the lid on a board and use a C-clamp to anchor it. It could catch and spin on you even running in reverse if it's not anchored. This set-up should give you plenty of support ... and if you go slow, there's very little chance for error.
Heck yeah, appreciate all the useful info cause i would've just left the lid on and gone in reverse🤦🏻🤣

Drill indoors in reverse as mentioned.
Don't drill a cold lid.
The foam inserts I have are 2" so drill a little smaller.

I don't think it really matters how many GPH the pump does. It's just recirculating the water. Even a 3 GPH pump will be sufficient as long as it sprays water. Head lift would be what I'm looking for so that the spray reaches the roots.

Here's the same pump you wanted to buy from Walmart but cheaper.

I like my aero-cloner so I expect you'll enjoy yours. It makes cloning pretty simple. Below are a few tips I have. Others will likely have their own ideas to add as well.

I use a product in the reservoir called Rez-clear. It helps keep the water sanitary. I also always changed the water once a week until roots had set in and you're transplanting. I also use clonex gel rooting hormone. I think it helps things along and speeds up the process. Also as mentioned by others at different times through the thread, clipping the leaf tips slows down photosynthesis and kind of forces the cutting to concentrate on forming roots. Yellowing can also be caused by too much light intensity so keep the cloner in the shadows or on a shelf under a cheap LED shop light. Even a cold white LED bulb would work.
You mean clearez?

You make the same thing with pool shock, but a lot cheaper, like a fuck ton cheaper and goes a lot further.

I bought this bottle once and refill with my pool shock concentrate solution

Attachments

• 1705789720838737858032754910802.jpg
    1705789720838737858032754910802.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I don't think it really matters how many GPH the pump does. It's just recirculating the water. Even a 3 GPH pump will be sufficient as long as it sprays water. Head lift would be what I'm looking for so that the spray reaches the roots.

Here's the same pump you wanted to buy from Walmart but cheaper.

Yea you just want it to shoot up on the stems, the cycles are usually in seconds to minutes.

Like 10 seconds on, off for a few minutes, rinse & Repeat (lol) a few days later and roots.

You mean clearez?

You make the same thing with pool shock, but a lot cheaper, like a fuck ton cheaper and goes a lot further.

I bought this bottle once and refill with my pool shock concentrate solution
Maybe, I will have to dig it out and check. I didn't run clones this year so I'm not sure where I put it. LOL

I'm back and forth with cloning lol

Attachments

• 17058205690385040102639951336211.jpg
    17058205690385040102639951336211.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Not sure if you pulled the trigger yet or not bro, but it's fairly inexpensive (except the shipping) to get the aero cloner that I bought and it works great, not hard to put together. I might try Moe's suggestion on doing 15 on/off with the pump. I have always gone 24/7 with it and not had problems, If I could do the same thing for 1/2 the electricity cost, I'd do it.

Interestingly enough, I have also had the most difficult time making clones the past month than I have ever had. Had 4 snips and only one of them threw out roots, in the end I decided to toss them because I wanted them to all be even in their growth because they were to go in the same tent/system.

Back
Top Bottom