Cloning variables

ninjadip

Hydro Ninja
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
ok ok, i am not in "trouble" or anything like that, just curious.
I just started my cloning operation back up, and very curious about the varying time for cuts to root in aeroponics taken at the same time from the same plant, and about the same size. These were all taken at the same time, i think a week ago.

Just curious how some can differ so much. I have all 3 in the middle of the aeroponics so i don't think it's a matter of placement in the cloner relating to the sprayers and all that. This isn't any kind of urgent issue, just curious. Does everyone experience this amount of variance when making clones? I wonder if it is the amount of time i let the cut sit in the rooting gel... I can't really think of another variable. Same light, same nutrients, close enough to be the same aeroponic spray application, same mom, same day cut.

Going to tag @Moe.Red and @Aqua Man my two hydro gurus.

Slowest one:
1687984294778.jpeg

second slowest:
1687984395379.jpeg

best: rooted in 2-3 days
1687984419531.jpeg

cloning environment: (the tall one is not one in the above pics, it was from an earlier cut) don't laugh at my beans popping lol,
1687984652253.jpeg

Environment under, you can see there are zero issues with aeroponic spray coverage lol. BTW is there a better way to stabilize the sprayer than with how i have it weighted?

1687984832596.jpeg

Maybe this can be another side by side that someone can do? Cuts taken from the same mother but just different parts where they are taken to see which roots faster and more prolifically. Would also like to see if there is a difference in root propagation times for sativa vs indica vs hybrid. Another sub set of that would be aero vs soil vs synthetic media.
soil is just slow as fuck, it just is based, on how it works.

roots love oxygen, which usually isnt that high in compacted soils as far as id think/know, especially if you dont water properly.

indicas may root faster in general as they have shorter life spans usually compared to sativas, but i also could be inclined to think it wont have much difference between indica/sat/hybrid besides the genes them selfs and of course, ENV params -

(i have no data on this and base this on absolutely nothing besides my briefly brief growing exp)

by synthetic media, do you mean just coco/perlite and or synthetic nutrients?

synthetic nutrients are already in ionic form and ready to go/when dissolved in water, organics gotta break down into ions first, for the plants to able able to uptake.

Got the spray timer down to 5 seconds on 12 minutes off and everything is still wet before the start of the next cycle. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but they all seemed fine this morning.

This was the growth overnight of the stubborn one. Thanks @Moe.Red , feel like an idiot, the timer adjustment seems obvious now. For some reason I thought the more spray the better, but I didn't think it through.

Attachments

• 20230629_085359-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230629_085359-COLLAGE.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 8
Got the spray timer down to 5 seconds on 12 minutes off and everything is still wet before the start of the next cycle. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but they all seemed fine this morning.

This was the growth overnight of the stubborn one. Thanks @Moe.Red , feel like an idiot, the timer adjustment seems obvious now. For some reason I thought the more spray the better, but I didn't think it through.
I'm a credit hound for sure, but this one is not on me!

That clone just needed another day, the starts were there.

Theoretically speaking, I think there's reason to believe reduced moisture could lead to increased root growth (in some situations, of course). Seeking water is what roots do. I'm thinking this is possible because I noticed recently that a clone grew more roots when I decreased its water. I used a different method, but what's in common is less water.

I think tops do best till a certain point or thickness maybe? Like someone else said, once they get woody on the stem, they are very slow to root. Last time I did clones it was the tops of plants that were pretty big that I wanted to top, so instead of chucking them I went down more and made clones... they took over 2 weeks to root, I almost chucked em... probably would have e been a little faster with a fancy cloner instead of old school peat pods and a dome. 🤷‍♀️

Theoretically speaking, I think there's reason to believe reduced moisture could lead to increased root growth (in some situations, of course). Seeking water is what roots do. I'm thinking this is possible because I noticed recently that a clone grew more roots when I decreased its water. I used a different method, but what's in common is less water.
Exactly what happens.

These plant like DRY TIMES

Plant morphology is slightly different in hydro, the roots will grow slightly different.

Try fifteen minutes, you want a slight dry back.

I think tops do best till a certain point or thickness maybe? Like someone else said, once they get woody on the stem, they are very slow to root. Last time I did clones it was the tops of plants that were pretty big that I wanted to top, so instead of chucking them I went down more and made clones... they took over 2 weeks to root, I almost chucked em... probably would have e been a little faster with a fancy cloner instead of old school peat pods and a dome. 🤷‍♀️
New growth does best usually ime, which is usually the new side shoots, lateral branching, and the top new growth.

Exactly what happens.

These plant like DRY TIMES

Plant morphology is slightly different in hydro, the roots will grow slightly different.
If I may, can I change that to plants IN SOIL like dryback?

It’s about O2.

Roots in my fog cloner never dry out.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say it is the most explosive root growth I have ever seen anywhere. I’d be willing to put that to the test with a clone challenge. Put my money where my mouth is.

Try fifteen minutes, you want a slight dry back.
New growth does best usually ime, which is usually the new side shoots, lateral branching, and the top new growth.
This has been my experience also in regards to cut sites.

How would you go about initiating a doable "dry time" for the fresh cuts in soil? Water them in and let the pot get light like in normal veg? I would think the timeframe you have to rehydrate would be smaller than in veg since the plant is still pretty fragile.

This has been my experience also in regards to cut sites.

How would you go about initiating a doable "dry time" for the fresh cuts in soil? Water them in and let the pot get light like in normal veg? I would think the timeframe you have to rehydrate would be smaller than in veg since the plant is still pretty fragile.
I’d like to know this too.

soil is just slow as fuck, it just is based, on how it works.

roots love oxygen, which usually isnt that high in compacted soils as far as id think/know, especially if you dont water properly.

indicas may root faster in general as they have shorter life spans usually compared to sativas, but i also could be inclined to think it wont have much difference between indica/sat/hybrid besides the genes them selfs and of course, ENV params -

(i have no data on this and base this on absolutely nothing besides my briefly brief growing exp)

by synthetic media, do you mean just coco/perlite and or synthetic nutrients?

synthetic nutrients are already in ionic form and ready to go/when dissolved in water, organics gotta break down into ions first, for the plants to able able to uptake.
My clones usually come from the lower stems when cleaning up the bottom at flip or just before. Cut on a angle rough up the bottom inch with snips.

It’s about O2.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say it is the most explosive root growth I have ever seen anywhere. I’d be willing to put that to the test with a clone challenge. Put my money where my mouth is.
That would be a fun one!

It’s about O2.

Yes, rootzone o2 is probably one of the most impactful variables behind genes.

that's why I included the bottom bit about hydroponics and plant morphology.

And you're fog cloner is o2 injected right?
These guys don't have that efficiency like your system, why he needs more of a dry back perhaps. To get that o2

So in his context.

Last edited:
A perfect balance between moisture/water content and oxygen content at/on the surface area of the stems where we want to root is what we want to achieve.

Not including proper humidity and temperature levels.

Dry back is needed for the o2 in a dense media but clones dont have roots and dont use much o2 because of that. The important tging is they stay moist or wet until they produce roots then they need a dry back if in a dense media for the o2…

@Moe.Red i think you will agree that o2 is far more important than most realize.

Dry back is needed for the o2 in a dense media but clones dont have roots and dont use much o2 because of that. The important tging is they stay moist or wet until they produce roots then they need a dry back if in a dense media for the o2…

@Moe.Red i think you will agree that o2 is far more important than most realize.
Hack the o2 of the rootzone and get everything else in proper parameters

They blow up.

Hack the o2 of the rootzone and get everything else in proper parameters

They blow up.
Yes that what moe is doing… thats why i would want in on that action if anyone thinks they can get a clone of the same mother to root faster or stronger than him.

I keep putting off my post on o2 but im gonna get it done come hell or high water this weekend. I had a business idea and thats pushed way back now so the fine folks here can just reap the info. I will get to it someday hopefully…. But elevated o2 in the rootzone is as impactful as co2 in the atmosphere and possibly more so. A combination is… well ill get into when i make the thread.

I apologize to everyone who kinda knows and still doesn’t know for holding out so long… a few of you already know this and i dont care if anyone shares or wants to talk openly about it now. @Moe.Red was absolutely instrumental in helping and testing because this started as an idea in my head and he put the work in

Yes that what moe is doing… thats why i would want in on that action if anyone thinks they can get a clone of the same mother to root faster or stronger than him.

I keep putting off my post on o2 but im gonna get it done come hell or high water this weekend. I had a business idea and thats pushed way back now so the fine folks here can just reap the info. I will get to it someday hopefully…. But elevated o2 in the rootzone is as impactful as co2 in the atmosphere and possibly more so. A combination is… well ill get into when i make the thread.

I apologize to everyone who kinda knows and still doesn’t know for holding out so long… a few of you already know this and i dont care if anyone shares or wants to talk openly about it now. @Moe.Red was absolutely instrumental in helping and testing because this started as an idea in my head and he put the work in
Yea I've given a bit of thought into it since I started researching variables more and seeing you're guys test

I'm up for the challenge down the line, of course haha.

He may hit theoretical maximum speed before I can get to it though!

I think he said he wouldn't mess around with oxygen tanks but I would. - (maybe after learning about them and safe handling if needed)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom