Ethelyne Gas seed exposure

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
Cool~!:cool:(y)
So quick search shows the gas is very expensive to purchase but produced by some fruits like bananas.
So maybe we store seeds in a bag with a banana for a couple of days?
Sounds like an easy enough experiment?

So quick search shows the gas is very expensive to purchase but produced by some fruits like bananas.
I love where you're going with this. PLEASE report back and let me know what happens. I don't have any room in the tester tent to try this. I'm curious if there needs to be a particular concentration of the gas and how long an exposure would be needed for it to effectively make a change? If this proves to be true can you imagine the implications this has for food production and the stresses that climate change is putting on it? With harsher weather patterns and more extreme conditions this can combat that and keep climate change from fucking up food production.

Something else. When we buy bananas in the store the stems at the top are usually wrapped in plastic. This is so that the ethylene gas doesn't escape preserving the bananas longer. I wonder what exposing your environment to this gas would do for your plants? As you said the gas is prohibitivley expensive but I'm curious as to what kind of increases we can see. It might make that prohibitively expensive price tag not so expensive. I'm also curious as the chemical processes going on that are making plants exhibit this kind of behavior. Is the ethylene gas supercharging the photosynthetic process or is it affecting another process that indirectly supercharges the photo process?

Can you imagine the court room drama that would ensue?

"Yes your honor, on the charge of cultivation, our probable cause was a large order of bananas delivered to the house!"šŸ˜²šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Putting onions in a bag of potatoes will make them grows eyes faster.

Doing a simple experiment can have no bad side IMO.
I don't see seeds going bad if I set a banana in a sealed bag with them for a week even?
I am far from starting seeds again but hope to remember this when time comes.
Really seems easy enough to get greater growth if it works like that.

I found a link that claimed the ethelyne/ banana in a bag for 14 days would yeild 50% more female seed from regular seeds.
Some said it worked some claimed it was debunked? None said it would ruin the seed.

List of high emitting fruits and vegetables:

Apples
Apricots
Ripe Avocados
Ripe Kiwi Fruit
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Plums
Prunes
Quince

List of medium emitting fruits and vegetables:

Ripe Bananas
Cantaloupe
Guava
Mango
Honeydew Melon
Papayas
Ripe Tomatoes

While I don't have a need to pop a seed currently, I am making clones. I might try and stick a newly rooted clone inside a plastic bag with a couple of ripe apples to see if the ethylene gas has any effect on vigor. I'm thinking if gas exposure to seeds makes them more vigorous why not a clone? My biggest question is how long of an exposure to the gas is needed for it to be effective?

The article/ thread I found said they treated the seeds for 14 days switching the banana peels 3-4 times during.
That was again to supposedly convert more regular seeds to female seeds.

What if you made a cloning chamber and just put fruit in with it?
Like the cloners with a top, nothing elaborate.

The article/ thread I found said they treated the seeds for 14 days switching the banana peels 3-4 times during.

I sent Observer a message as he and Moe are the designated Mad Scientists of the forum but, while I don't have any seed pops in my near future I can try it with clones once I flower out the tester tent but that won't be for another couple months at least. I'd do a side by side with two clones from the same mother to compare the vigor.

I'm also curious what would happen if you took a fully vegged plant and exposed it to the gas and then flipped it! Will it flower faster? Will the flowers develop faster, bigger, more potent?

Maybe @SweetLeafGrow would want to get involved as he lab tests his stuff and he can test the side by side scientifically rather than getting anecdotal feedback.

Last edited:

this has my attention even more so, im diving in now , thanks yall. maybe could do an extraction from those fruits, looking into now.

this has my attention even more so, im diving in now , thanks yall. maybe could do an extraction from those fruits, looking into now.
ok so it indeed can be made into a liquid....its another plant hormone....seems it could definitely be beneficial in our toolboxes once used correctly/right times/dosing amounts/4/intended purpose/goals

lol you could possibly use that gas like co2 towards the end/last 2 weeks it seems to possible further promote senescence/faster (?)
ooh, another tool/tek/method to induce it/ and/or "hormone signaling" with

or a liquid additive

for organic growers, dont think it would hurt to to attempt some cold or warm water extractions with those fruits, filter out, add that water to youre solution and give to some plant.

I sent Observer a message as he and Moe are the designated Mad Scientists of the forum but, while I don't have any seed pops in my near future I can try it with clones once I flower out the tester tent but that won't be for another couple months at least. I'd do a side by side with two clones from the same mother to compare the vigor.

I'm also curious what would happen if you took a fully vegged plant and exposed it to the gas and then flipped it! Will it flower faster? Will the flowers develop faster, bigger, more potent?

Maybe @SweetLeafGrow would want to get involved as he lab tests his stuff and he can test the side by side scientifically rather than getting anecdotal feedback.
ill see if i can get my hands on some

i could set up a proper experiment, with a control and all that.

no lab to test anything though, yet.

This would be huge in conjecture with running co2 tanks, possibly.

ethylene makes them able to uptake more carbon, "carbon fixation"

it would be more efficient for/with co2 rooms

Ethylene​

• Stimulates and regulates fruit ripening
  • Induces seed germination
  • Stimulates leaf senescence
  • Induces leaf abscission
  • Helps plants survive low oxygen situations eg. flooding
  • Stress response, particularly to salinity
  • Increases petiole and internode length
  • Sex determination
  • Female flower development
Ethylene or Ethene is a gaseous, flammable hydrocarbon that is hugely versatile and widely used in the chemical industry. Indeed, its production exceeds that of any other organic compound in the world, and much of this production is destined to making polyethylene, one of today's most widely used plastics.

Ethylene occurs naturally through the breakdown of methylene and is produced in all parts of the plant, particularly in cells undergoing senescence and in ripening fruit. Its action counteracts the effect of auxin and is what triggers the ageing process in plants. Its main effects are to promote senescence and the ripening of fruit. It also increases petiole length and internode distance. Ethylene plays a part in breaking seed dormancy and promoting germination.

As fruit ripens it produces ethylene
As fruits like these bananas ripen, they produce ethylene.
The balance between auxin and ethylene has an important role to play in leaf abscission at the end of the growing season when the cold weather triggers ethylene production at the same time as auxin levels are reducing within the ageing leaf.

Ethylene is key to sexual expression in many plants, cannabis included, with female flowers requiring much more ethylene to develop than male flowers. By applying ethylene-inhibiting agents such as STS (Sliver Tiosulphate) we can induce male flowers on female plants to create feminised seeds.

It is highly valued in commercial agriculture, where it is employed on a huge scale to ripen fruit that by necessity must be picked early to ensure damage-free transport. In these massive commercial ripening operations, ethanol is converted to ethylene and pumped in to ripen fruit, but man has used the ripening effect of ethylene at least since ancient Egyptian times when they would cut figs to ripen them, as ethylene production is stimulated by physical damage. This is the reason that we enclose fruit in a paper bag to accelerate ripening, or that fruit will ripen more quickly if we add a mature apple or banana to our fruit bowl.

On the other hand, the ethylene naturally produced by fruit can also cause problems in the transport and storage of fruit, dramatically reducing shelf life and leading to losses due to spoiled produce. Indeed, this phenomenon is the origin of the phrase "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch".

Taken from ; https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/plant-hormones-cannabis/

I like this; Ethylene plays a part in breaking seed dormancy and promoting germination.
Any help germinating is a good thing.

Ethylene​

• Stimulates and regulates fruit ripening
  • Induces seed germination
  • Stimulates leaf senescence
  • Induces leaf abscission
  • Helps plants survive low oxygen situations eg. flooding
  • Stress response, particularly to salinity
  • Increases petiole and internode length
  • Sex determination
  • Female flower development
Ethylene or Ethene is a gaseous, flammable hydrocarbon that is hugely versatile and widely used in the chemical industry. Indeed, its production exceeds that of any other organic compound in the world, and much of this production is destined to making polyethylene, one of today's most widely used plastics.

Ethylene occurs naturally through the breakdown of methylene and is produced in all parts of the plant, particularly in cells undergoing senescence and in ripening fruit. Its action counteracts the effect of auxin and is what triggers the ageing process in plants. Its main effects are to promote senescence and the ripening of fruit. It also increases petiole length and internode distance. Ethylene plays a part in breaking seed dormancy and promoting germination.

As fruit ripens it produces ethylene
As fruits like these bananas ripen, they produce ethylene.
The balance between auxin and ethylene has an important role to play in leaf abscission at the end of the growing season when the cold weather triggers ethylene production at the same time as auxin levels are reducing within the ageing leaf.

Ethylene is key to sexual expression in many plants, cannabis included, with female flowers requiring much more ethylene to develop than male flowers. By applying ethylene-inhibiting agents such as STS (Sliver Tiosulphate) we can induce male flowers on female plants to create feminised seeds.

It is highly valued in commercial agriculture, where it is employed on a huge scale to ripen fruit that by necessity must be picked early to ensure damage-free transport. In these massive commercial ripening operations, ethanol is converted to ethylene and pumped in to ripen fruit, but man has used the ripening effect of ethylene at least since ancient Egyptian times when they would cut figs to ripen them, as ethylene production is stimulated by physical damage. This is the reason that we enclose fruit in a paper bag to accelerate ripening, or that fruit will ripen more quickly if we add a mature apple or banana to our fruit bowl.

On the other hand, the ethylene naturally produced by fruit can also cause problems in the transport and storage of fruit, dramatically reducing shelf life and leading to losses due to spoiled produce. Indeed, this phenomenon is the origin of the phrase "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch".

Taken from ; https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/plant-hormones-cannabis/

I like this; Ethylene plays a part in breaking seed dormancy and promoting germination.
Any help germinating is a good thing.
hmm looking for sources on getting my hands on this shit lol

kinda need some lab equipment to attempt to try to extract/purify/make my own...perhaps

lol you could possibly use that gas like co2 towards the end/last 2 weeks it seems to possible further promote senescence/faster (?)
ooh, another tool/tek/method to induce it/ and/or "hormone signaling" with

or a liquid additive
I knew placing the idea in your head would get it percolating!! šŸ˜„

Correlating with the increase in photosynthesis is a large increase in carbohydrate levels throughout the plant. This includes large increases in starch, which is the energy storage molecule in plants, and two sugars, sucrose and glucose, that provide quick energy for the plants.

More of these molecules in the plant has been linked to both increased growth and a better ability for plants to withstand stressful conditions.

Another idea.....when we buy seed packets. Might not be a bad idea to "proof" them in a bag full of banana peels or ripe apples for a couple weeks before you germinate them..........

decaying bananas would be releasing it, sounds like.

you could in theory capture that gas and route it

for organic growers, dont think it would hurt to to attempt some cold or warm water extractions with those fruits, filter out, add that water to youre solution and give to some plant.
My fear with that process is what else will be extracted? I guess you could do an extraction and then have it tested to see what comes out to see if any harmful things also extracted out.

My fear with that process is what else will be extracted? I guess you could do an extraction and then have it tested to see what comes out to see if any harmful things also extracted out.
if lab equipment did not cost an arm and a leg...

They're using it for fruit ripening not fruit cultivation.
yea, it seems, applied at different stages, you/it could/can do quite a few different things/boost in one direction or the other, depending on plant stage/phase

Our study shows that environmental conditions during germination can have profound and long-lasting effects on plants that could increase both their size and their stress tolerance at the same time.

Understanding the mechanisms for this is more impor
tant than ever and could help improve crop production to feed the worldā€™s population.

ill definitely try to get my hands on it and play around with it, and read/learn more about it, pretty cool, thanks man.

so many different ways to "hack" the plants

Back
Top Bottom