'Failure is always an option' Bagseed Hydro grow

Decided to have a go at the water cure method with this first bud. No smell would be an advantage in certain situations. Plus can't beat the time saved.

So far no signs of mites or mold in the tent, fingers crossed. I have 6 clones going in the aerogarden plus a couple downstairs yet.
It will be interesting to watch the water cure.

Reading the article i see ROS now has a product similar to boveda

Anyone think I should wait longer before the chop? Not really seeing many dark terps. But they are cloudy and with the nanners appearing I'm getting an itchy trigger finger. B3 is turning kinda purple but also lots of white pistils not at all like B4.

I'm sure you read the article posted, so I probably don't need to ask this question but...

Why would you want to cure in a way that removes a lot of the terpenes/flavors? I'm not judging, just genuinely curious because flavor profiles are my favorite part of sampling different strains.

I'm sure you read the article posted, so I probably don't need to ask this question but...

Why would you want to cure in a way that removes a lot of the terpenes/flavors? I'm not judging, just genuinely curious because flavor profiles are my favorite part of sampling different strains.

Mostly just as a test since I snipped that one bud early. And it'll get me smokable product much sooner so at least I can try what I've got. Been a long time on this grow would be nice to have some results, any results. After a couple grows I'm sure I'll get much pickier lol.

It will be interesting to watch the water cure.

Reading the article i see ROS now has a product similar to boveda

I just ordered some to try out. Plus a freebie seed wooho! Once I'm a little more confident in my grows will order some seeds from here.

Mostly just as a test since I snipped that one bud early. And it'll get me smokable product much sooner so at least I can try what I've got. Been a long time on this grow would be nice to have some results, any results. After a couple grows I'm sure I'll get much pickier lol.
Fair enough. I'm drying my first harvest ever in the tent right now and, trust me, I know that antsy feeling. I'm more afraid of blowing it in the final stage though.

I can definitely understand testing it out on a little bit first. Who knows? Maybe the taste loss won't be as significant as I'm understanding from the article and it'll get you smokeable buds sooner. Keep us posted.

Anyone think I should wait longer before the chop? Not really seeing many dark terps. But they are cloudy and with the nanners appearing I'm getting an itchy trigger finger. B3 is turning kinda purple but also lots of white pistils not at all like B4.
Is it a photo?
Imo let them go 10 weeks since flip if its your first grow, alot changes in the last 2 weeks

My preference is amber but it's your call

Another week isn't going to kill me. The one plant is turning a nice purple, wouldn't hurt to keep that going. Every stage of this grow has taken longer than I thought so not surprising.

I was worried after finding the nanners they would affect things. If one bud has some there are probably more is my thinking. Maybe they don't matter much at this point.

Examined the buds and decided it was chop day. Here they are before they get the axe. One plant had decent amber and the other was just starting to turn. Figure the two will give me a good comparison so I can decide what I prefer.
Before.jpg

Chop chop
chop chop.jpg

The harvest
raw harvest.jpg

I'm spent! Took all day and there's still more to do. But I think there is some usable bud here assuming I don't screw up the curing.
hanging buds.jpg

Still have this to hang tomorrow, ran out of wire and also most of this is pretty seedy.
Extras.jpg

Water curing is going ok. Heard the buds shouldn't float so I've got foil holding them submerged. Picked up a dehydrator to dry them once cured. Might use it for other recipes dunno yet.
IMG_20230924_001448.jpg

Examined the buds and decided it was chop day. Here they are before they get the axe. One plant had decent amber and the other was just starting to turn. Figure the two will give me a good comparison so I can decide what I prefer.
View attachment 22817

Chop chop
View attachment 22816

The harvest
View attachment 22813

I'm spent! Took all day and there's still more to do. But I think there is some usable bud here assuming I don't screw up the curing.
View attachment 22814

Still have this to hang tomorrow, ran out of wire and also most of this is pretty seedy.
View attachment 22815

Water curing is going ok. Heard the buds shouldn't float so I've got foil holding them submerged. Picked up a dehydrator to dry them once cured. Might use it for other recipes dunno yet.
View attachment 22821
curious to hear your results re: water curing. might borrow your technique for a test run this harvest. have heard about it for years just never committed to giving it a go.

Water curing has finished. I let the bud soak 6 days and for this amount anyway that seems to have been long enough. DSC_1118.jpg

Dropped it in the dehydrator to dry. This one is fully adjustable for heat so I used an external temp monitor to get it right around 80f. Took about 8 hours to dry at this temp. Ignore the high temp/humi alert those were programmed for something else.
DSC_1120.jpg

So how does it smoke? "Like a vaporizer" is the easiest way to describe it. A vape with a real thick smoke. I'd compare it to regular curing as soda vs tea. There's still some taste but it's much reduced. Not unpleasant at all just less strong. Veeery smooth. Hardly cough at all. And if I was going somewhere weed-averse this would be great to hide the smell same as a vape. Gonna have to wait to smoke some that has been cured the regular way before I decide which I like better. But I definitely don't hate it.

The air drying the regular way is going well I think. Got another day or two then I can trim it off the branches and throw it in jars.
Screenshot_2023-09-29_17-30-16.png

Started to trim today, got about halfway through. Right around 6oz in jars so far. I'll consider that a success as far as recouping my costs. Next one will hopefully be higher quality bud with shorter veg cycle. Trying S.O.G. for second grow as these plants were way bigger than needed.

Clones are rooting well, need to finish upgrades on the water res and get that testing. Water sensor is getting there. No rest for the wicked

All the bud has been cut off the braches and is in jars with the moisture control packs. Gonna burp them twice a day for a couple days then once a day for a couple weeks. Total of 11 jars, say about ~10oz of decent bud assuming I don't screw up this last part.

Feels weird having the tent shut off. Won't be for long need to clean and get it going with the clones. Got about 6 that are rooting nice.

All the bud has been cut off the braches and is in jars with the moisture control packs. Gonna burp them twice a day for a couple days then once a day for a couple weeks. Total of 11 jars, say about ~10oz of decent bud assuming I don't screw up this last part.

Feels weird having the tent shut off. Won't be for long need to clean and get it going with the clones. Got about 6 that are rooting nice.
Don't let your GF transplant them....

A photo of the harvest.
jars.jpg

The RQS moisture control packs are working well, RH right around 62%.
LCD.jpg

Cleaned the reservoir and tent tonight. Having second thoughts about the RDWC system. Turns out I'd have to cut holes in the tent to get a drain to the secondary res. I don't want to have to rely on a siphon to get water to the secondary and the existing holes are too high for gravity feed. I don't think it matters though. Instead of a secondary I'll stick with a primary and move the water top-off to that. Should fix the main issue of inconsistent water level without adding much plumbing. Will still need a water monitor system to break the siphon on the water top-off in case of overflow but should be able to figure something out. Maybe a servo or something.

I'll do it mang! Then it would need a light baffle, not impossible but seems sketch.
I'm a hillbilly so I used duct tape on the outside and some thin aluminum bubble insulation on the inside. Cut the hole a tad small so that you kinda force the pipe through and you could probably avoid the duct tape.

I'm a hillbilly so I used duct tape on the outside and some thin aluminum bubble insulation on the inside. Cut the hole a tad small so that you kinda force the pipe through and you could probably avoid the duct tape.
kinda like a stretch seal?

Yep. That's How i went with it. Then I ran my supply line through the same hole and that messed up the seal. That's where the duct tape came in šŸ¤£
I hate when that happens. You do something and stand back thinking what an engineering genius you are then, out of the side of your eye, you catch the hose you need to run through the same hole.

R (7).jpg

I hate when that happens. You do something and stand back thinking what an engineering genius you are then, out of the side of your eye, you catch the hose you need to run through the same hole.

View attachment 23999
That's me to a T man.

Side note: We watch the Simpsons every single night so that reference hits home. Lady has a few Simpsons tats and my 1.5 year old daughter's always saying "doh"

I still think Matt Groening and James L. Brooks are actually the same aliens that showed the Egyptians how to build the pyramids. Some of the episodes are crazy prophetic.

That's me to a T man.

Side note: We watch the Simpsons every single night so that reference hits home. Lady has a few Simpsons tats and my 1.5 year old daughter's always saying "doh"
My 1.8 is always saying bye bye

Back
Top Bottom