'Failure is always an option' Bagseed Hydro grow

I'm a little attached to it since it was my first plant to get anywhere. Will let it go one more week then prob chop it.

Busted out the lens reverser for some close-ups. Does kinda look like nanners.
Should I cut this leaf off just in case?

View attachment 17434
View attachment 17435
View attachment 17436

While i had the camera and tripod out I took a couple pics of the buds from B3 and B3. Should I be worried about the darkening hairs?

B3
View attachment 17432

B4
View attachment 17433
Darkening hairs are part and parcel of the plant's maturation process. Good look how they are mostly straight....

I'm a little attached to it since it was my first plant to get anywhere. Will let it go one more week then prob chop it.

Busted out the lens reverser for some close-ups. Does kinda look like nanners.
Should I cut this leaf off just in case?

View attachment 17434
View attachment 17435
View attachment 17436

While i had the camera and tripod out I took a couple pics of the buds from B3 and B3. Should I be worried about the darkening hairs?

B3
View attachment 17432

B4
View attachment 17433

Red hair that early means it's been pollinated. Or at least those red pistils and the calyx they're coming out of are now preggo. Sorry to say it but you have a hermie

Sorry to say it but you have a hermie

Bummer! Guess I didn't spot the nanners in time? I did trim a few more fan leaves that I found yesterday.

Safest bet is to cull the whole plant right? Maybe just trim that bud and wait a day or two to see if any more nanners appear?

Red hair that early means it's been pollinated. Or at least those red pistils and the calyx they're coming out of are now preggo. Sorry to say it but you have a hermie
How early in flower do hairs have to appear to conclusively be able to say that the plant got pollinated? If other branches aren't exhibiting the same characteristics does that mean that only a partial pollination on that branch?

Bummer! Guess I didn't spot the nanners in time? I did trim a few more fan leaves that I found yesterday.

Safest bet is to cull the whole plant right? Maybe just trim that bud and wait a day or two to see if any more nanners appear?
The he/she is so excited about being a hermie she's spitting nanners on the leaves. That would be enough for me to kill it and get it out but that's me. I've never seen that. Seen tiny buds on leaves but never hermie flowers. You have a unicorn plant for sure but not in a good way. You could hope for sterile pollen. Rare, but happens and when it does is very late in flower and I doubt it because that one cluster of pistils is pollinated.
How early in flower do hairs have to appear to conclusively be able to say that the plant got pollinated? If other branches aren't exhibiting the same characteristics does that mean that only a partial pollination on that branch?
From the time a pistil emerges it's sole purpose is to catch pollen. When it does, it's job is done and it dies back as the calyx begins building the seed inside. If it never gets pollinated, it stays white until it times out and develops a false calyx, aka sensimilla.
Selective pollination is very possible. A single male flower cannot pollinate every female flower in a garden and it's very possible to isolate and selectively breed flower to flower instead of plant to plant. A single hermie banana won't pollinate the whole plant but it damn sure will pollinate every pistil on the same flower. The more hermie flowers, the more pistils get pollinated

The he/she is so excited about being a hermie she's spitting nanners on the leaves. That would be enough for me to kill it and get it out but that's me. I've never seen that. Seen tiny buds on leaves but never hermie flowers. You have a unicorn plant for sure but not in a good way. You could hope for sterile pollen. Rare, but happens and when it does is very late in flower and I doubt it because that one cluster of pistils is pollinated.

From the time a pistil emerges it's sole purpose is to catch pollen. When it does, it's job is done and it dies back as the calyx begins building the seed inside. If it never gets pollinated, it stays white until it times out and develops a false calyx, aka sensimilla.
Selective pollination is very possible. A single male flower cannot pollinate every female flower in a garden and it's very possible to isolate and selectively breed flower to flower instead of plant to plant. A single hermie banana won't pollinate the whole plant but it damn sure will pollinate every pistil on the same flower. The more hermie flowers, the more pistils get pollinated

Took a look again this morning, The plant with the nanners isn't the one with the red pistil. Nanners are on B3 and red pistils are on B4.

B4 is the biggest plant of the three and has the most bud sites on it. Most of the buds on B4 have about the same amount of red (one or two) except that one I took a photo of which has the most.

B3 with the nanners isn't showing hardly any red. Neither is B1 the other plant in the tent. I tried looking for more nanners but haven't been able to find any. Only more bud sites on B3 fan leaves. Also most of the buds on the fan leaves aren't flowering, they are just more leaves (Maybe like re-veg?)

One other thing to add, I might have had a light leak on the sensor that hangs above the B3 nanner leaf. It would flash green for a second once every 5 min. Just gonna be really dissapointed if all these plants got pollinated somehow.

Took a look again this morning, The plant with the nanners isn't the one with the red pistil. Nanners are on B3 and red pistils are on B4.

B4 is the biggest plant of the three and has the most bud sites on it. Most of the buds on B4 have about the same amount of red (one or two) except that one I took a photo of which has the most.

B3 with the nanners isn't showing hardly any red. Neither is B1 the other plant in the tent. I tried looking for more nanners but haven't been able to find any. Only more bud sites on B3 fan leaves. Also most of the buds on the fan leaves aren't flowering, they are just more leaves (Maybe like re-veg?)

Godang it, this is wrong. Wish I could edit posts. Either way plant with the nanners isn't the one with the most red pistils.

B4 had the nanners.
B3 Is the other main plant.

Added another 5gal of water this morning. Plants are drinking about a gallon a day right now. Other than a few red pistils things seem healthy.

Dunno if the plants are ruined but halfway through flower at this point so just gonna run with it for now.

Added another 5gal of water this morning. Plants are drinking about a gallon a day right now. Other than a few red pistils things seem healthy.

Dunno if the plants are ruined but halfway through flower at this point so just gonna run with it for now.
Just run it and stay on it, the plant is resilient

This weeks update. Think my EC was up near 3 instead of 2.5 after having the tester on the wrong format. Doh!

B1.jpgB3.jpgB3 bud.jpgB41.jpgB42.jpgDSC_1026.jpgPreggersBud.jpg

Does that left plant look about the same as before? It doesn't really appear to have gotten worse.

Does that left plant look about the same as before? It doesn't really appear to have gotten worse
It's gotten a little bit worse but still chugging along. Once the leaves on that plant get to a certain age they rust pretty bad. Even the clone is doing the same thing now. Really should just chop both of them but holding out hope for a couple more weeks.

That EC is ok if everything is in perfect balance. Chances are npk is not in balance.

I don’t know if you have run across @smoke yet but he grows indoor trees. I’ll bet he averages 1/3 or 1/4 of your EC. I’m more about half.

That EC is ok if everything is in perfect balance. Chances are npk is not in balance.

I don’t know if you have run across @smoke yet but he grows indoor trees. I’ll bet he averages 1/3 or 1/4 of your EC. I’m more about half.
Well I could do a water change if needed. Did a res drain/fill only a couple weeks ago.

Also I'm wondering if they still look like they've been pollinated. Gonna have to start some clones asap if so.

Well I could do a water change if needed. Did a res drain/fill only a couple weeks ago.

Also I'm wondering if they still look like they've been pollinated. Gonna have to start some clones asap if so.
@WeedRider , as far as the ppm your running its on the high range of high imo.

Im currently on day 12 of flower and did a water change yesterday because the npk was out of balance and they stopped eating. The highest ive got with these particular girls is 690 on the 700 scale or 1.0 EC .... LESS IS MORE
20230529_093255.jpg20230826_082327.jpg

@WeedRider , as far as the ppm your running its on the high range of high imo.

Im currently on day 12 of flower and did a water change yesterday because the npk was out of balance and they stopped eating. The highest ive got with these particular girls is 690 on the 700 scale or 1.0 EC .... LESS IS MORE
Ok I've got the EC down to 1.5 will see how that goes. I had thought the plants should have stretched more, the buds are developing but not gaining much height last couple weeks.

If that chart is wrong about EC maybe we should find a better one to replace it with. I've see 2-2.5 ec during flower mentioned other places as well.

Ok I've got the EC down to 1.5 will see how that goes. I had thought the plants should have stretched more, the buds are developing but not gaining much height last couple weeks.

If that chart is wrong about EC maybe we should find a better one to replace it with. I've see 2-2.5 ec during flower mentioned other places as well.
A chart is only a guideline, most people recommend to use only 1/2 the posted ppm rates in hydro.

Note: most on this forum will post ppms using the 500 scale. I believe im the only one to post using the 700 scale because im looking at the small changes daily. Looking at the chart below if i was using EC scale i wouldn't see a drop from 1.0 EC to 0.9 until my 700 ppm dropped to 630

Screenshot_20230131-012353_Google.jpg

A chart is only a guideline, most people recommend to use only 1/2 the posted ppm rates in hydro.

Ah ok good to know. I forget not everyone is doing hydro.

Note: most on this forum will post ppms using the 500 scale. I believe im the only one to post using the 700 scale because im looking at the small changes daily. Looking at the chart below if i was using EC scale i wouldn't see a drop from 1.0 EC to 0.9 until my 700 ppm dropped to 630
Aren't most TDS meters accurate to 2 decimals? I never understood why people use PPM scales, it's all based on uS/cm anyway. Accuracy of the scale is meaningless if it's all derived from uS/cm. There's no precision gained (assuming enough digits in the readout). Just use the base measurement and be done with it. No scales to worry about. Just my newb opinion but ppm is useless.

Aren't most TDS meters accurate to 2 decimals? I never understood why people use PPM scales, it's all based on uS/cm anyway. Accuracy of the scale is meaningless if it's all derived from uS/cm. There's no precision gained (assuming enough digits in the readout). Just use the base measurement and be done with it. No scales to worry about. Just my newb opinion but ppm is useless.
There is precision gained.

If i was using the EC scale and my ECreading was 1.0 it would take possibly 2 or 3 days for the reading to drop to 0.9

1.0 EC = 700 PPM on the 700 scale
0.9 EC = 630 PPM on the 700

That's a 70 ppm difference

I believe you are correct.

If i was using the EC scale and my ECreading was 1.0 it would take possibly 2 or 3 days for the reading to drop to 0.9

AFAIK most EC probes work by measuring uS/cm. Then they convert to everything else. If the source of precision is always uS/cm, the increased precision of the PPM scales is just an illusion. We can't make the sensor more sensitive by changing units. We can display the measured precision in increasingly accurate scales but that means nothing if the sensor hasn't changed.

Maybe they use rounding for the displayed figures? So EC precision is limited by the display not having enough digits. PPM would use the internal floating point value and that that could result in better readings.

AFAIK most EC probes work by measuring uS/cm. Then they convert to everything else. If the source of precision is always uS/cm, the increased precision of the PPM scales is just an illusion. We can't make the sensor more sensitive by changing units. We can display the measured precision in increasingly accurate scales but that means nothing if the sensor hasn't changed.

Maybe they use rounding for the displayed figures? So EC precision is limited by the display not having enough digits. PPM would use the internal floating point value and that that could result in better readings.
You are 100 percent correct. A pen or probe does not measure PPM's but uses a processor and a formula to generate a PPM reading.

You are 100 percent correct. A pen or probe does not measure PPM's but uses a processor and a formula to generate a PPM reading.
Agree with both, BUT using EC instead of ppm i wouldn't get a daily drop in the EC readings

I'll switch to EC tomorrow to show

Here's what the display on mine looks in uS/cm mode. No loss of precision as it goes to 4 digits. If you're only seeing 1 digit past the decimal in EC mode that's not super precise as you've said. Get a meter that does 4 digit EC with graphite probes and forget all about PPM.

51poFdkWAvL._SX385_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom