Mother plant, how big of a pot?

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
Since the idea of a mother is to keep her in veg constantly but not let her grow into a monster, I was hoping for some advice.

I have four cuts with good roots, I’ll probably wait one more week before up potting from solo cups, but wondering how big should they go into?

1/2 gallon?
1 gallon?

Light too? Does everyone give their mothers exactly 16 hours of low level of light? Longer? I can’t imagine shorter, but???

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Id say half gallon and low light with cooler temps.
Run the light no less than 16 imo.
Some strains will flip as early as 15/9 if stressed😳😳 ask me how i found that out lol🤦🏻🤦🏻
Thank you, I knew 14:10 could start flowering, I’ve often wondered if a successful grow could actually take place without ever dropping to 12:12, just keep them at 14:10 or perhaps 13:11. I was wondering if the additional light would increase bud size or just cause hermie issues?

Thank you, I knew 14:10 could start flowering, I’ve often wondered if a successful grow could actually take place without ever dropping to 12:12, just keep them at 14:10 or perhaps 13:11. I was wondering if the additional light would increase bud size or just cause hermie issues?
I know a lot of strains start flowering as soon as 14/10, i think you could flower at 14/10 but i dont think it really makes a difference from 12/12 other than 2 extra hours of light.
As long as the DLI is the same at 12/12 as it is at 14/10 theyll grow the same imo.

Since the idea of a mother is to keep her in veg constantly but not let her grow into a monster, I was hoping for some advice.

I have four cuts with good roots, I’ll probably wait one more week before up potting from solo cups, but wondering how big should they go into?

1/2 gallon?
1 gallon?

Light too? Does everyone give their mothers exactly 16 hours of low level of light? Longer? I can’t imagine shorter, but???

1 gal and you’ll be up potting from that if you keep it around as a mother. I’m getting ready to start a mother or two hopefully this week. They’re final home will eventually be a 7 or 10g fab pot.

Hey bud, I keep my mum's in small pot's, it's coco I need feed everyday anyway, after trimming them back I can 2 days between feeds, until the foliage grows back (not recommended)

I keep the light on 24hrs for the stable environment it creates.
_20221216_172705.JPG
I don't want to maintain vigorous growing clones/ plants, to slow things down I take clones 4/5th wk of flower, the re vegging period is to my advantage while mums flowering.
Screenshot_20231217_102927_Gallery.jpg
I've a clone tent to work from with 4x t5s.

I've a couple in 5" pot's they're around 18/24 months old, every now and then I need to prune the root back and re pot them to fresh coco.
20231127_210500 (2).jpg
455c53e1aff7bd349d5ba25c312a429897a0f297_2_284x499.jpeg

Last edited:

1/2 gallon?
1 gallon?

I had a buddy here that kept 8 moms in 1 gallon pots under 600w HPS for years but he's flown the coop, lost touch. I flip moms and veg the kids, when the moms have flowered the kids are ready to take cuttings and flip. If you have the space to keep 2 month old vegging plants imho its better than keeping a single mom alive and healthy

Who here was grafting weed together?

I wanna know if I took a mom say og kush and grafted a blue dream branch onto it....if I took cuts off that arm would it remain the same blue dream?

I envision making a mom with like 4 different strains in one all grafted onto her...how bad ass right would it work or would the branch the was blue dream just become og kush?

Back
Top Bottom