Pipecarver

POTM Winner
Reaction score
May 12
My girls are growing exceptionally well in these 15L pots. If everything finishes as I hope they will I'll add 2 more pots to the system and move them into my 5x5. Sponsorship or not the new G3000 is growing some nice plants. I think these are
( at their age ) some of the nicest plants I've grown with led lights and have developed more at just over 3 weeks in flower than most anything else I've ever grown. The last few days has been remarkable in development, this bunch has me exited and they should show well.

My 5x5 on the other hand is getting closer at just about 9 weeks they got a full feed yesterday and I'll start tapering off now. I'll water only next time and give them about 1/2 feed at 10 weeks preparing to chop at 11with 1 tsp epsom salt/ gal water finish twice if need be.

My revegged Auto is busting and needs to bloom so as soon as I can clear out my 5x5 I'll put her under the led's for a week to adjust then flip.

I'll update pics tonight these are a few days old now

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Reveg1.jpg
    Reveg1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • Tent girls.jpg
    Tent girls.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
May 12
My girls are growing exceptionally well in these 15L pots. If everything finishes as I hope they will I'll add 2 more pots to the system and move them into my 5x5. Sponsorship or not the new G3000 is growing some nice plants. I think these are
( at their age ) some of the nicest plants I've grown with led lights and have developed more at just over 3 weeks in flower than most anything else I've ever grown. The last few days has been remarkable in development, this bunch has me exited and they should show well.

My 5x5 on the other hand is getting closer at just about 9 weeks they got a full feed yesterday and I'll start tapering off now. I'll water only next time and give them about 1/2 feed at 10 weeks preparing to chop at 11with 1 tsp epsom salt/ gal water finish twice if need be.

My revegged Auto is busting and needs to bloom so as soon as I can clear out my 5x5 I'll put her under the led's for a week to adjust then flip.

I'll update pics tonight these are a few days old now
May 14
Updated pics of y 3x3 at 4 weeks in flower today, the rest of the gang in my 5x5 and the start of my drying box

Attachments

• BB5x5.jpg
    BB5x5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • BB5x5a.jpg
    BB5x5a.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • BBclon.jpg
    BBclon.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • BBQB4w.jpg
    BBQB4w.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Box1.jpg
    Box1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • BBRv.jpg
    BBRv.jpg
    999.6 KB · Views: 77
  • BBsf2.jpg
    BBsf2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • BBsf.jpg
    BBsf.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • BBSD4w.jpg
    BBSD4w.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Hey all, In my auto pots I'm using all GH nutes the 3 part Micro, Grow. Bloom, plus,Dry Kool Bloom, Diamond Nectar, Cal/ mag & Hyclean with measures in ml right now
@ 4 weeks in flower. 5/5/10/ 1/3 tsp/4/5/1 / Gallon giving me a ppm of 1175 ph 6.00............

I've been getting some separation of ingredients leaving a fine brownish silt on the bottom of the reservoir that stirs up when I add new liquid........

This silt has been developing since the first 3 ingredients were added back when I started the res up over a month ago with 5/5/5 and it hasn't changed since adding more additives. I've cleaned the reservoir twice already and I'm going to do it again this week. After my first silt up I thought some H2O2 my help so I added 5 ml/ gallon on my second batch but I still got the silt build up.

I have a small recirculating pump and a small wave maker moving the res around 15 min every 2 hrs

I'd like to know whats going on any idea what is causing the separation to begin with?

Hey all, In my auto pots I'm using all GH nutes the 3 part Micro, Grow. Bloom, plus,Dry Kool Bloom, Diamond Nectar, Cal/ mag & Hyclean with measures in ml right now
@ 4 weeks in flower. 5/5/10/ 1/3 tsp/4/5/1 / Gallon giving me a ppm of 1175 ph 6.00............

I've been getting some separation of ingredients leaving a fine brownish silt on the bottom of the reservoir that stirs up when I add new liquid........

This silt has been developing since the first 3 ingredients were added back when I started the res up over a month ago with 5/5/5 and it hasn't changed since adding more additives. I've cleaned the reservoir twice already and I'm going to do it again this week. After my first silt up I thought some H2O2 my help so I added 5 ml/ gallon on my second batch but I still got the silt build up.

I have a small recirculating pump and a small wave maker moving the res around 15 min every 2 hrs

I'd like to know whats going on any idea what is causing the separation to begin with?
Is it RO water? Starting PH?

What order are you adding?

It sounds like your metals are precipitating out of solution. This is usually caused by PH.

Is it RO water? Starting PH?

What order are you adding?

It sounds like your metals are precipitating out of solution. This is usually caused by PH.
My ph out of the tap is high at around 8 but if it sits it sets around 7.2 From there its micro, grow, bloom.....then I started adding the cal/mag ...diamond nectar...then Hyclean at 1 ml..........I was getting seperation after just the micro/ grow/ bloom and a few drops of GH ph down......I no longer need because my nutes drop it enough

I think what you are seeing is the metals in Micro are precipitating out.

You can induce this on the bench if you want to see it happen. Grab a clear glass of tap. Put in your micro at the right rate for your glass size. observe.

If you want to see it happen quickly, put drops of PH Up in the stirred water. It will immediately form a greyish cloud around the drops. That will settle out and become brown sludge.

I think what you are seeing is the metals in Micro are precipitating out.

You can induce this on the bench if you want to see it happen. Grab a clear glass of tap. Put in your micro at the right rate for your glass size. observe.

If you want to see it happen quickly, put drops of PH Up in the stirred water. It will immediately form a greyish cloud around the drops. That will settle out and become brown sludge.
Ya The micro is the only one even close in color and I've seen that before with the ph up but I wasn't sure that's what was causing this......It doesn't seem to be causing too much of a problem. I'll just clean it and continue on.....I sent email to Gh about using their products with auto pots and they said I was good to go but don't use the Flurolicious as it might separate in the pot wells sitting for so long. I'm using the Diamon Nectar in its place.

Thanks it's been on my mind for a bit as to what it may be.

No not a problem, just not getting to your plants. Could make your ratios off a bit. Keep an eye out for exotic deficiencies like iron and copper. They really don't need much tho.

Matching the PH of the water in the res to the bottle of Micro (5.8) first will help reduce or eliminate this issue. It's the sudden change of going from the bottle to the water that is the worst of it.

No not a problem, just not getting to your plants. Could make your ratios off a bit. Keep an eye out for exotic deficiencies like iron and copper. They really don't need much tho.

Matching the PH of the water in the res to the bottle of Micro (5.8) first will help reduce or eliminate this issue. It's the sudden change of going from the bottle to the water that is the worst of it.
???? Ph the water to 5.8 before adding Micro?......Then my ph will drop like a stone when I add more nutrients....

I'm in 50/50 promix perlite and I was led to believe I needed to stay in the low 6's ( 6.00 - 6.50 ) with the Promix....Coco would be lower....

My girls look good, its the separation that has me concerned. Wouldn't my concoction of ingredients have sufficient copper & iron Or? that's being stripped from the Micro?

Could be diatoms… often seen with addition of silicates or silicon. But i would PH adjust as @Moe.Red said. You want to be around 6.5 when adding micros because as he says nutrients can precipitate out. If ph buffering is an issue from just adding nutrients you may want to increase the KH and the drop down with acid before adding nutrients

I did a bit more on the dry box today. I put 3 sides together with the 1.1/2 x 1.1/2" posts I made from a 2x4 I cut down the center...ish....Glued and screwed them on to the 32" x 4' - 1/4" plywood. Now for the top, bottom and front door.......

I'll add some dowel's across the width to hang the plants from. With the plywood being so flimsy I'll have to frame a door to support the hinges. The way I work these days this one day project will take a good week to get done. I have to thank OldCro for starting my engine, otherwise I'd still be procrastinating.

Could be diatoms… often seen with addition of silicates or silicon. But i would PH adjust as @Moe.Red said. You want to be around 6.5 when adding micros because as he says nutrients can precipitate out. If ph buffering is an issue from just adding nutrients you may want to increase the KH and the drop down with acid before adding nutrients
If My water starts at 6.5ph and I add nutes I'll be in the 5.5 range when I finish......I'll have to add Ph up????? to get me back where it should be with Promix ....no??

If My water starts at 6.5ph and I add nutes I'll be in the 5.5 range when I finish......I'll have to add Ph up????? to get me back where it should be with Promix ....no??
Oh for soil PH only really matter for mixing the nutrients the promix is peat based and has buffers. keep PH below 7 ideally but depends on the chelates used for the nutrients. 7 is a safe bet so drop it to atleast 7 then try to mix

Last edited:
Oh for soil PH only really matter for mixing the nutrients the promix is peat based and has buffers keep PH below 7 ideally but depends on the chelates used for the nutrients. 7 is a safe bet so drop it to atleast 7 then try to mix
That I can do, I'm at 4 weeks in flower now with them and its the heaviest I've ever fed anything and my plants are looking great I never get above 1000ppm in soil with the GH nutes but I'm now adding Cal/ mag and Diamond nectar that have brought it up to 1175 last feed with 4 plants going through 3 gal in 2 days.

???? Ph the water to 5.8 before adding Micro?......Then my ph will drop like a stone when I add more nutrients....

I'm in 50/50 promix perlite and I was led to believe I needed to stay in the low 6's ( 6.00 - 6.50 ) with the Promix....Coco would be lower....

My girls look good, its the separation that has me concerned. Wouldn't my concoction of ingredients have sufficient copper & iron Or? that's being stripped from the Micro?
Wait, you are using GH trio liquid, right?

If your PH drops like a stone when you add those, we got a problem. Those are PH balanced and buffered to 5.8

Wait, you are using GH trio liquid, right?

If your PH drops like a stone when you add those, we got a problem. Those are PH balanced and buffered to 5.8
each nute added will drop the ph 10 - 15 points. so starting at 7.2 micro 5ml micro will drop the water 10 - 15... Grow...10 - 15 Bloom 10 = 15 or 15 - 25 points down were now at mid 6.5 ish....add 5 ml cal mag...6.35 ish.....diamond nectar....6.00 ish Kool Bloom ...5.8 ish......Hyclean..??....like that or close to like that....lol.....

Hey guys thanks I ve lights out now I have to switch locations. Mt cat and I say good night....see ya all tomorrow

I was reading earlier today that iron will become rust and fall out at a PH of 8. It begins at 7, but by 8 you are screwed.

That's my guess. If seen it before with GH nutes when I mix them wrong.

Pipe, I'm not saying you need a PH of 5.8 to grow in promix. I'm replying about what I think the red stuff is. If your starting PH of water is high - you are going to lose some iron as a precipitate. As you add more and more nutes, you get closer and closer to the proper ph they want to be at. This trend will only continue to about 5.8 - where the nutes are set from the factory.

If you want to lose none to PH swings, you need to dump your micros into a water at the same PH. 5.8. So change nothing, except add the micros last when the PH is down from the other nutes is my suggestion.

I can confirm iron with a picture and you tell me what you feel when you run your finger thru it.

Hey tha
I was reading earlier today that iron will become rust and fall out at a PH of 8. It begins at 7, but by 8 you are screwed.

That's my guess. If seen it before with GH nutes when I mix them wrong.

Pipe, I'm not saying you need a PH of 5.8 to grow in promix. I'm replying about what I think the red stuff is. If your starting PH of water is high - you are going to lose some iron as a precipitate. As you add more and more nutes, you get closer and closer to the proper ph they want to be at. This trend will only continue to about 5.8 - where the nutes are set from the factory.

If you want to lose none to PH swings, you need to dump your micros into a water at the same PH. 5.8. So change nothing, except add the micros last when the PH is down from the other nutes is my suggestion.

I can confirm iron with a picture and you tell me what you feel when you run your finger thru it.
Hey, thanks for this Moe, I don't feel anything when I smear the film with my finger, but I leave a finger mark trail through it when I've tried to feel it. The pic isn't very good but I think you can see the off color on the bottom of the tank. GH told me it was important to use an air stone in the res so I added one, you can see its bubbles.

I've been led to believe I need to add the Micro first to bond with the O2 and if I add the others first the elements in the Micro won't bond to the complex molecule I'm trying to create . If I add that last how will that work?

Res.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey tha

Hey, thanks for this Moe, I don't feel anything when I smear the film with my finger, but I leave a finger mark trail through it when I've tried to feel it. The pic isn't very good but I think you can see the off color on the bottom of the tank. GH told me it was important to use an air stone in the res so I added one, you can see its bubbles.

I've been led to believe I need to add the Micro first to bond with the O2 and if I add the others first the elements in the Micro won't bond to the complex molecule I'm trying to create . If I add that last how will that work?
You are asking the right question.

Yes, Micro should go in first. But if you put it in before the PH is down in the 6 range, you will lose some iron. It's just chemistry.

Personally I do all the buffer / PH stuff first, then add micros. But you have a different need, so I thought putting it in last might be the lesser of 2 evils.

You are asking the right question.

Yes, Micro should go in first. But if you put it in before the PH is down in the 6 range, you will lose some iron. It's just chemistry.

Personally I do all the buffer / PH stuff first, then add micros. But you have a different need, so I thought putting it in last might be the lesser of 2 evils.
I'll try dropping the water to 7.00 - 6.9ish before adding the Micro and see if it mixes better......It doesn't happen immediately, when I mix up my nutes there is no separation and the liquid stays clear. It seems to happen overnight or sometime after I add my mix to the res. I thought at first the air stone might be an issue, I've read some shit about air stones and ph issues but GH told me it was important to use in the res with their nutes..........???? I'm not so sure.......If I don't get separation in my mixing pot and only in the reservoir where the air stone is should I shut it off or abide by their recommendation?

Hey tha

I don't know if you have a lid on that, but blocking light will rule out diatoms.

The air stone does 2 things.

Keeps things stirred

Drives off CO2 which can effect PH.

Once iron precipitates out, no amount of air bubbles will put it back in solution.
Along with a small circulating pump that pushes a bubble of water through to the top of 5 gal in the tank I also added a small wave maker and they run 15 min on every 2 hrs.....I started with 10 min but because of the silt I though maybe more mixing was needed....Same reason I bought the wave maker

I'll try and lower the ph a bit prior to adding the micro to the water. If I get at it today I'll clean the res and start a new batch with a lower start ph. I need to add a new load in any ways today so I'll give your recommendation a try....Thanks
May 16
A productive day for me today, We had air leaking into our water supply lines hissing and spitting every time we turned on the tap. The plumbers were supposed to fix that but they're next to useless, this should have been done when they changed out my pressure tank....Job 1 fixed.

Job 2 my dry box I added framing to the inside and cut the top and bottom, the front is next I have a piece cut the size of the front but I'd like to make it a door not just a piece of plywood on hinges so that's next

Job 3 I dumped all of the nutrients I had in my reservoir for the auto pots and cleaned everything, Then I re loaded it with 6 gallons of a fresh batch. This time I dropped the ph of the water to 6.96 before I added the micro then the other nutes. My ph when I finished adding nutes was 5.86 . Those numbers scare me as too low so I added 2ml per gallon ph up to bring me to 6.06 and I'll live with that. I hope the girls do too.

@ MoeRed I thinks you were right about the iron. It was a gritty redish brown & not the slime I'd thought originally. it was pretty thick on the pumps and the bottom. I've cleaned it all up I hope that's the fix.

I'll post pics later its chow time.

Back
Top Bottom