Programmable Lights

thats cool, i didnt catch that feature when i was looking at the scynce leds

is that how youve been growing? with the LEDs rapidly blinking?

im assuming its really fast and not too perceptible to the eye - like flipping a bdroom switch on and off - slow.
Yeah it's like a florescent tube that flashes 60 times a second, you can't see it but the camera can.

Yeah it's like a florescent tube that flashes 60 times a second, you can't see it but the camera can.
I once put a fan speed controller on one of those old UFO style LED to make it into a strobe light and just basically abuse the light to see what would happen. It hummed and got weird but was funny as hell seeing it flash

Gonna start writing an article on light spectrum tomorrow. Hopefully finish it up by next weekend. Think thats an area we are going to see more of in the coming future… tunable spectrum. Some really interesting stuff i bet members may be surprised about
Any chance something was written and I just can't find it?

If not, I'm curious how other fellow Scynce light owners are using their spectrum tuning abilities throughout their grows.

For example, I started me current grow heavy in cool light. Then after stretch I started increments towards warm light. Now that I am likely a few weeks until harvest I am at 30% cool, 70% warm, and 80/20 red/far red split. Not sure if I should go warmer, and add more far red or not.

Yes I do tune my grows. For me, it's a morphology thing more than anything else.

I've done several grows playing with Far Red and UV A&B, and the results have been mixed. I have pulled those spectrums out of my grows and am focusing on the PAR range.

There are several studies I have read about THC and it's relation to spectrum, and more importantly timing. I don't have them handy atm, but the gist of it is green = good for vegetation and photosynthesis because it penetrates the plant tissue deeper and activates additional photosynthesis, but green = bad for THC. At the end of the grow, you want primarily red.

In Veg is where all the fun is. Eliminating stretch with blue light for example. Or on one grow I made a lot of 8 Durban Poison IBLs look like kush in height rather than the extra tall plants I typically see in those genetics.

Bottom line, I'm still very much experimenting, no real hard data just generalizations to share. All this is very plant dependent as well.

Yeah, I've done a lot of listening to Bruce Bugbee videos since I started growing. I've learned a lot from them, but was more curious of growers actual experiences playing etc.

You would need to have a decent grow setup and growing lots of plants over time to find anything conclusive through your own experiences. Something that is likely years away for me, since I only run a 4x4 and grow a few plants a year.

I guess I'll continue increments towards 100% warm (yellow) until harvest.

Do you guys go more than 20% far red?

Do you guys go more than 20% far red?
I'm not sure what you are asking here, if you are talking about 20% on the slider in the app, or 20% of the total PPFD in the far red spectrum?

I played with FR for a few years.

I could never see a boost from the Emerson Effect. Maybe on a standard grow you might, but RDWC with CO2 - there is only so many things you can stack on top of each other before you get diminishing returns.

The putting the plants to sleep faster so you can raise the DLI - I dunno, no way to have a control so no side by sides were done. The papers say its real but I have no personal proof of this.

It will definitely effect morphology tho, that I have seen in side by side. Initiates shade response and branches wider.

This is from the grow where I ran blue strong in veg on Durban Poison IBL. You can see the kush shaped plant in the background

IMG_0839.jpg

Normally those are tall and skinny with 4"+ internode. These were tight. This was under the Raging Kush II with a custom spectrum recipe. I can share it with you if you want, it was just tons of blue with red pulled way back and white at max.

I've done several grows playing with Far Red and UV A&B

Moe i'd love to know your opinion on far red... i just starting using one of those pucks as supplement. my first time using it, i have it on for 20 minutes after the lights go out.

what's your opinion of them? any tips?

I'm not sure what you are asking here, if you are talking about 20% on the slider in the app, or 20% of the total PPFD in the far red spectrum?

I played with FR for a few years.

I could never see a boost from the Emerson Effect. Maybe on a standard grow you might, but RDWC with CO2 - there is only so many things you can stack on top of each other before you get diminishing returns.

The putting the plants to sleep faster so you can raise the DLI - I dunno, no way to have a control so no side by sides were done. The papers say its real but I have no personal proof of this.

It will definitely effect morphology tho, that I have seen in side by side. Initiates shade response and branches wider.
Yeah, the slider is what I meant. I watched some Bugbee videos again last night to refresh my memory and I found an interview with him where the interviewer was asking how much far red to use and he said 10-20%, which was similar to what I vaguely remembered from watching his videos in the past.

I was just curious what other Scynce users were doing. I'm just going to leave mine set to 80/20% split for red/far red.

Yeah, the slider is what I meant. I watched some Bugbee videos again last night to refresh my memory and I found an interview with him where the interviewer was asking how much far red to use and he said 10-20%, which was similar to what I vaguely remembered from watching his videos in the past.

I was just curious what other Scynce users were doing. I'm just going to leave mine set to 80/20% split for red/far red.
Just an FYI - 10-20% bugbee is referring to is total ppfd, not the slider. On the slider, thats a whole lot closer to 100% as the far red leds are far outnumbered by the PAR leds.

Moe i'd love to know your opinion on far red... i just starting using one of those pucks as supplement. my first time using it, i have it on for 20 minutes after the lights go out.

what's your opinion of them? any tips?
I need to dig up some old pics and data to answer this properly.

1706793503146.png

This is from the grow where I ran blue strong in veg on Durban Poison IBL. You can see the kush shaped plant in the background

View attachment 42615

Normally those are tall and skinny with 4"+ internode. These were tight. This was under the Raging Kush II with a custom spectrum recipe. I can share it with you if you want, it was just tons of blue with red pulled way back and white at max.
I also lean heavy to blue in veg to try to keep my plants height in control, since i always run out of tent. it worked well my last grow, but this grow i tried a bunch of new things, including keeping my light high in the tent and adjusting intensity to get desired ppfd.

This allowed me to bring up the overall temps in the tent, while the plants get enough light, since my ambient temps in the lung room are cooler due to cold weather. But during stretch my plants at least trippled in height. i guess i am going to have to start topping my autos.

Just an FYI - 10-20% bugbee is referring to is total ppfd, not the slider. On the slider, thats a whole lot closer to 100% as the far red leds are far outnumbered by the PAR leds.
Only thing I noticed was bud onset started 3-4 days earlier with fem plants using rapidled 6 watt pucks.they were stretching 2’ a day .on snd grow was halfway through stretch I stopped using them and stretch went back to 1’ a day…same strain.all they do really is get the plant to start budding earlier and cut a week off your grow.

oh shit this was for @Stoneyluv

I also lean heavy to blue in veg to try to keep my plants height in control, since i always run out of tent. it worked well my last grow, but this grow i tried a bunch of new things, including keeping my light high in the tent and adjusting intensity to get desired ppfd.

This allowed me to bring up the overall temps in the tent, while the plants get enough light, since my ambient temps in the lung room are cooler due to cold weather. But during stretch my plants at least trippled in height. i guess i am going to have to start topping my autos.
You could try using the day night differential.running your lights off temp the same or exceeding lights on will slow down the stretch.if you can’t get lights off close you can reduce your lights on temp to get it closer then once stretch has finished turn the light back up.

You could try using the day night differential.running your lights off temp the same or exceeding lights on will slow down the stretch.if you can’t get lights off close you can reduce your lights on temp to get it closer then once stretch has finished turn the light back up.
The first time I kept day and night temps real close I had very little stretch and super tight nodes.
This grow I wandered more with temp and many of the same strains and had about 2x stretch.

The first time I kept day and night temps real close I had very little stretch and super tight nodes.
This grow I wandered more with temp and many of the same strains and had about 2x stretch.
For my current grow I have around a 10-11 degree delta between lights on and off. Next time I'm going to have to try to keep them closer I guess until after stretch at least.

They were growing 4 inches a day during stretch. It seemed insane - they were sucking down so much nutrients too (see screenshot). I pretty much fed them nutrients every top off until they started slowing down.Screenshot_20240201-125403.png

I think my plants would be 7 feet tall right now if I didn't bend both top colas down, which makes the main stem into a big S, and my top colas buds are now located near the wall of my tent instead of the middle. Then I had to bend all my other colas down too, so I could save some tent room to avoid toasting buds when they fattened up. All my branches are like a menorah, sloping upwards.

Same here. I added a tent heater on stretch to keep lights off temps a couple degrees above lights on. I ran a tester on 3 cultivars I grew at the same time. 10° swings between lights on and off. The cultivar I heated in stretch doubled in size in the tester. In the heated run, this run, stretch was around 30% - 40% less.

You can see how much they stretched in the journal I have going.

Any chance something was written and I just can't find it?

If not, I'm curious how other fellow Scynce light owners are using their spectrum tuning abilities throughout their grows.

For example, I started me current grow heavy in cool light. Then after stretch I started increments towards warm light. Now that I am likely a few weeks until harvest I am at 30% cool, 70% warm, and 80/20 red/far red split. Not sure if I should go warmer, and add more far red or not.
Been on an extended life break anything i can help you with?

Been on an extended life break anything i can help you with?
Nothing specific, more of a curiosity as I like learning. I was just curious if you ever got around to writing up what you had mentioned, and I just couldn't find it at the time I was looking.

Hopefully you're enjoying your break!

Nothing specific, more of a curiosity as I like learning. I was just curious if you ever got around to writing up what you had mentioned, and I just couldn't find it at the time I was looking.

Hopefully you're enjoying your break!
Nope not yet. But i can try to answer and questions for you.

This is a great summary for some learning on spectrum’s etc. probably one of the best out there.

Nope not yet. But i can try to answer and questions for you.

This is a great summary for some learning on spectrum’s etc. probably one of the best out there.

Have not read this, just glanced at it now and looks really well written and referenced. I downloaded the PDF, I need to come up with a reference section for links.

@Diverge I am growing 8 plants currently, all from seed, and 4 different strains. I've been running mostly blue in veg mode with the kush II but some of the plants were really small and dense. I shifted red a bit to try to change the morphology and it worked but other plants got huge. This works a lot better with a single genetic. My next trick is to try to move plants around and do half and half with the 2 lights. Never tried that before. I'll need to split my group and run the lights individually.

I'll post pics this weekend.

Have not read this, just glanced at it now and looks really well written and referenced. I downloaded the PDF, I need to come up with a reference section for links.

@Diverge I am growing 8 plants currently, all from seed, and 4 different strains. I've been running mostly blue in veg mode with the kush II but some of the plants were really small and dense. I shifted red a bit to try to change the morphology and it worked but other plants got huge. This works a lot better with a single genetic. My next trick is to try to move plants around and do half and half with the 2 lights. Never tried that before. I'll need to split my group and run the lights individually.

I'll post pics this weekend.
I've had similar experiences. I've only grown 2 plants per tent, always same strain, and usually have one big plant and one small. I lean a lot toward cool/blue during veg and early flower. I try not to use much red until after stretch to prevent running out of tent height... I need to work on this because they always get too big, or at least one does.

My current grow they both grew very similar in height, with some variance in density. After the plants stopped growing taller and the buds stopping putting on weight I shifted light towards more warm & red spectrum. Currently at 10% cool, 90% warm, 80% red, 20% far red. I'm not sure what the ideal spectrum for late flower should be or that it makes much difference. It's something I've been curious about, and if it has any effect on triggering the plants to ripen faster, like lower temperature can.

One thing I have noticed is that my top colas are still repositioning themselves, since the cool LEDs are mostly off, so they are trying to get under the amber and red LEDs. I'm patiently waiting to harvest, but not seeing much amber trichomes yet.

Yeah it's CLW and can control the Solar System series lights and the new Spectramax bar style light they came out with last month.
IDK if it works with other lights but the tech does seem very basic and the controller has not changed since 2016 other than the housing. The lights have changed though so I have two Gen 1 lights and one Gen 2.
And they have blogs and videos on just about everything from how their gear worsk and how to use it to seeing how they build the lights at the LA factory

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a new CLW light but trying to decide if I should get the UVB or not. I plan on getting their controller with the light and assume that you can control the UVB there along with the rest of the light spectrum adjustments. Here is the light I am thinking of getting-

SOLARSYSTEM® 550 UVB

They sell the Solar System alone without the UVB. Has anyone ever used this light or UVB in general? Wondering if it's worth the extra 150 or so for the UVB. I think the light alone is going to be great but don't want to spend more than I need to.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a new CLW light but trying to decide if I should get the UVB or not. I plan on getting their controller with the light and assume that you can control the UVB there along with the rest of the light spectrum adjustments. Here is the light I am thinking of getting-

SOLARSYSTEM® 550 UVB

They sell the Solar System alone without the UVB. Has anyone ever used this light or UVB in general? Wondering if it's worth the extra 150 or so for the UVB. I think the light alone is going to be great but don't want to spend more than I need to.

I have the UV kits but am not using them at the moment. I don't think they add much but results with UV are often inconclusive.
Really the only thing that keeps me from using them more are all the extra cords and separate timer as so many cords in my room gets annoying.
I'm using some of the T5HO fixtures in another project but not on the ss550s currently.
I have 3 kits but only have a use for two.
I'd say get the SS550 and if you want a UV kit you can have my spare kit with xtra lamps. It will be free but all I ask is you donate what you think they're worth + shipping costs to Moe for the site.

I can tell you they're not worth $150. Each fixture with lamp I'd value at $30 each and maybe $20 for the outriggers which I can also duplicate for free on my 3D printer. So personally, I'd value a complete kit at around $80 and that's with xtra lamps. I have both CLW and HTG UV lamps as well and most only have a few weeks of 12/12 run time mileage on them

Back
Top Bottom