reliable economic hydro setup for a noob

Stoneyluv

^ I break things ^
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Is there such a thing?

I'm asking the hydro gurus here, i want to know if it is even possible to put together a two plant setup in a few days?

I am good with my hands and can build almost anything. Would anyone be able to help me construct a two plant setup to run two AUTO plants in and help me choose nutes and help me get me started?

i have some stuff from a very crude DWC i tried many years ago.

i own a good air pump, and have various buckets/tubs and plumbing parts laying around, i have net pots and meters, i have really great water, i have some nutes but am open to trying something else to be honest.

i'm really only looking to dip my toe and try this out.. if i really like it and want to move forward i would invest in a quality setup. for right now i'm looking for cheap and reliable. anyone think that could be done and willing to help me?

The mineral amounts, NPK and all that can be found on the "guaranteed analysis" should look like this:
Guaranteed Analysis.JPG

You can figure out the PPM's with some math, but I've since forgotten and just plug and guess into the app to get what I'm looking for. You can plug in these 'analysis' into the app and it can calculate it...to an extent. If you're using pure elements it works the best, commercial feed is a bit more shaky.

The mineral amounts, NPK and all that can be found on the "guaranteed analysis" should look like this:
View attachment 68633

You can figure out the PPM's with some math, but I've since forgotten and just plug and guess into the app to get what I'm looking for. You can plug in these 'analysis' into the app and it can calculate it...to an extent. If you're using pure elements it works the best, commercial feed is a bit more shaky.
Do u have an e.c pen @Stoneyluv

@Stoneyluv
Once you test drive and post results we’ll need to save the thread.

I’m in no hurry but it would be advantageous to copy your end result for when/if I ever decide to get my feet wet.

Simple 2-4 setup that’s low cost and close to idiot proof is perfect.

View attachment 68633

i got ya... very cool!!! i'm gonna try it out for sure!!! Thanks!!

Do u have an e.c pen @Stoneyluv

yes sir, i bought it years ago to measure salt levels in my pond. it's like electrolytes for koi. it measures EC/TDS/Temperature

009.JPG

006.JPG

i want to ask, is it okay to dip the meter right into my rez to measure? i thought i remember it saying not to do this when i first bought the meters. i thought they said to put the solution in a small glass first. even though i don't do that, should I be?

@Stoneyluv
Once you test drive and post results we’ll need to save the thread.

I’m in no hurry but it would be advantageous to copy your end result for when/if I ever decide to get my feet wet.

Simple 2-4 setup that’s low cost and close to idiot proof is perfect.

you know it Zen, thats kinda why i did it this way versus just private messages.

hopefully it helps someone!!

seems to be running well... no leaks!!!

a short video with audio..

i want to print out a hose clip to hold it in place for fill ups and not use duct tape every time.

002.JPG

it just connects to my inside rain barrel that directly across from the rez...

003.JPG

i used one of these water meters to measure the water... these are pretty cool for rain barrels, you can set 55 gallons on it and it lets you know how much is left in there as you use it... i wasted almost 85 gallons to test all my leaks and fill it up!!!!... bad stoney!!!!

005.JPG

the nutes i've collected so far....

010.JPG

011.JPG

i just wanted to give a huge thanks for all you guys helping me along the way of building this and getting started.

thank you very much @GrumpAzz @Nesta @growsinse79 @moe.red @Zen_seeker @Aqua Man @CookiesLikeWhoa @Bandit420 @Pipecarver @Observer @smoke @steamroller (the soil guy helpin me out with hydro! too cool!!)

thanks so much everybody for making this idea become a real thing that functions.

i will be sure to leave a link here of the journal of the grow once i get it typed up in a day or so. soil vs hydro i can't wait!!!! i know - i know you hydro guys say it's best and faster... we will see.. i don't feel i'm that slow of a soil grower so i really wanna know!!!!

Thanks again so much budbuilders, you guys are the best!!!

i got ya... very cool!!! i'm gonna try it out for sure!!! Thanks!!

yes sir, i bought it years ago to measure salt levels in my pond. it's like electrolytes for koi. it measures EC/TDS/Temperature

View attachment 68678

View attachment 68675

i want to ask, is it okay to dip the meter right into my rez to measure? i thought i remember it saying not to do this when i first bought the meters. i thought they said to put the solution in a small glass first. even though i don't do that, should I be?

you know it Zen, thats kinda why i did it this way versus just private messages.

hopefully it helps someone!!

seems to be running well... no leaks!!!

a short video with audio..

i want to print out a hose clip to hold it in place for fill ups and not use duct tape every time.

View attachment 68672

it just connects to my inside rain barrel that directly across from the rez...

View attachment 68673

i used one of these water meters to measure the water... these are pretty cool for rain barrels, you can set 55 gallons on it and it lets you know how much is left in there as you use it... i wasted almost 85 gallons to test all my leaks and fill it up!!!!... bad stoney!!!!

View attachment 68674

the nutes i've collected so far....

View attachment 68679

View attachment 68680

i just wanted to give a huge thanks for all you guys helping me along the way of building this and getting started.

thank you very much @GrumpAzz @Nesta @growsinse79 @moe.red @Zen_seeker @Aqua Man @CookiesLikeWhoa @Bandit420 @Pipecarver @Observer @smoke @steamroller (the soil guy helpin me out with hydro! too cool!!)

thanks so much everybody for making this idea become a real thing that functions.

i will be sure to leave a link here of the journal of the grow once i get it typed up in a day or so. soil vs hydro i can't wait!!!! i know - i know you hydro guys say it's best and faster... we will see.. i don't feel i'm that slow of a soil grower so i really wanna know!!!!

Thanks again so much budbuilders, you guys are the best!!!
just rinse it off you should be fine

may want to invest in a bluelab kit lol

just rinse it off you should be fine

may want to invest in a bluelab kit lol

do you mean one like this?

819OvO0jC3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i really like the idea of being able to calibrate, it's only another $30 and if i can't measure correctly, then i can't feed correctly.

these are the BLUELAB E.C PEN AND PH PEN links

and heres just the E.C PEN

these are what id personally invest in, i have the ph and E.C pens.

i calibrate the pH pen like once a month, and the E.C pen does not seem to need too much care/maintenace, maybe calibration
i dont know how often.

and then theres these

View attachment 68685

these probes will sit in the resevoir giving 24/7 readout.

wow those are pricy!! i understand though, quality but wow thats more than everything costs together that i bought!! :D maybe once the system produces something and i want to do it again.. till then my cheapos will have to do.

that i can afford.. i ordered the cleaning kit. i don't fully trust my ph pen is accurate so it will be good to clean and test it. just watched the vid and didn't realize they were supposed to be checked so often.

thanks O!!

wow those are pricy!! i understand though, quality but wow thats more than everything costs together that i bought!! :D maybe once the system produces something and i want to do it again.. till then my cheapos will have to do.
yea i get it, those are basically my most expensive grow tools atm besides the lights lol
that i can afford.. i ordered the cleaning kit. i don't fully trust my ph pen is accurate so it will be good to clean and test it. just watched the vid and didn't realize they were supposed to be checked so often.

thanks O!!
and i was fortunately gifted the E.C pen

1723535384178.png

whats all in this, how much and what does it cost?

these will be cheaper, probably.

1723535434222.png1723535449884.png1723535483530.png1723535508812.png

this is ur calcium, nitrogen, and magnesium sulfate.

cheap, will last awhile too.

theres 2lb options from jacks, 25 lb options, 50lb options... that yara 50lb is only 33$ for CalNit.

that would go so far on 2-4 site grow and more.

i still had alot of the 2.2lb calnit from the 210 solo cup grow lol

You're P and K and Micros are usually included in base NPK "salts"

Currently using jrcroptech 9-17-28 I add magnesium and more CalNit IF needed or if I want to change the ratios.

Now, if you wanted silica you get potassium silicate and phosphorus acid and mix those under 11.0 pH to form Monosilicic-acid. Cheaply making you're own silica and a readily available uptake form.

This is about as cheap as it gets for you're base npk and silica additives.

I also have soluble KELP

They are water proof too

There's supposed to be a checkmark by the pH there to indicate it's calibrated

Time to do that again soon

Attachments

• 17235366095684512531859487860241.jpg
    17235366095684512531859487860241.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 17235365736158706266602857579119.jpg
    17235365736158706266602857579119.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 0
Once I get my shit together again,

I'm going to make fog chambers and 3D print anti-gyroid lattice cylinders and suspend them with cables over the fog chambers.

See how well that works.

View attachment 68689

whats all in this, how much and what does it cost?

these will be cheaper, probably.

View attachment 68690View attachment 68691View attachment 68692View attachment 68693

this is ur calcium, nitrogen, and magnesium sulfate.

cheap, will last awhile too.

theres 2lb options from jacks, 25 lb options, 50lb options... that yara 50lb is only 33$ for CalNit.

that would go so far on 2-4 site grow and more.

i still had alot of the 2.2lb calnit from the 210 solo cup grow lol

heres the back of the jug, i really can't remember what i paid, i bought it a few years ago and never opened it.

012.JPG

i do have the jacks already, bought that on my first DWC attempt many years ago, also saw i still have a little epsom salt too..

013.JPG014.JPG

i might use it next time i was scared to use the jacks this first time... well second but that first one didn't count. haha

i love the hand mixer idea!!!!

and i do like the idea of the BL being waterproof.. i watched their vid a bit ago and didn't realize they should be stored in solution. i'll clean mine as soon as i get it on wednesday.

starting to get exciting now!! i dropped seeds a few hours ago...

can i start putting orca and nutes in now a few days early? or should i wait till they're alive and in the system first?

heres the back of the jug, i really can't remember what i paid, i bought it a few years ago and never opened it.

View attachment 68697

i do have the jacks already, bought that on my first DWC attempt many years ago, also saw i still have a little epsom salt too..

View attachment 68698View attachment 68699

i might use it next time i was scared to use the jacks this first time... well second but that first one didn't count. haha

and i do like the idea of the BL being waterproof.. i watched their vid a bit ago and didn't realize they should be stored in solution. i'll clean mine as soon as i get it on wednesday.

can i start putting orca and nutes in now a few days early? or should i wait till they're alive and in the system first?
The orca to get the bacteria/microbes colonizing and growing, and you could do like 0.1-0.4 e.c nutes.

It won't hurt.

View attachment 68697

View attachment 68698View attachment 68699

Yea when those probes dry out it'll need to be serviced or ruined I suppose

The orca to get the bacteria/microbes colonizing and growing, and you could do like 0.1-0.4 e.c nutes.

It won't hurt.

cool i'll add that in soon... i also have some king crab too.. i'll add that as well. kinda like the one two punch for great white.

King-Crab-32-oz-800x800_540x.jpg

Yea when those probes dry out it'll need to be serviced or ruined I suppose

yeah, mine did... it was all crusty on the end... i washed it of and it seems to match the solution tester and my dip strips.. thats why i grabbed that cleaning kit right away once you showed me.. kinda no brainer at that point after seeing the crust on the end.

for now i'll go by the solution that came with the up n down.. once i test and calibrate i'll see from there if i can use it or have to get a new one. the Apera seems affordable for now if i need one.

cool i'll add that in soon... i also have some king crab too.. i'll add that as well. kinda like the one two punch for great white.

King-Crab-32-oz-800x800_540x.jpg

yeah, mine did... it was all crusty on the end... i washed it of and it seems to match the solution tester and my dip strips.. thats why i grabbed that cleaning kit right away once you showed me.. kinda no brainer at that point after seeing the crust on the end.

for now i'll go by the solution that came with the up n down.. once i test and calibrate i'll see from there if i can use it or have to get a new one. the Apera seems affordable for now if i need one.
It's good to have more than one ways to test so you can validate equipment

Sounds good.

It's good to have more than one ways to test so you can validate equipment

Sounds good.

they recommend using them together. i've been using it with my soil plants since it came out and i like it. keeps my roots pure white. although i do use great white in soil and not orca. the great white is a little better but not made for hydro from what i understand.

Been growing sterile but once I get set back up I'll probably try some live systems too

from growing in live soil all this time i just had to go live for this... maybe sterile one day but it was an easy decision for me.

Back
Top Bottom