reliable economic hydro setup for a noob

Stoneyluv

^ I break things ^
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Is there such a thing?

I'm asking the hydro gurus here, i want to know if it is even possible to put together a two plant setup in a few days?

I am good with my hands and can build almost anything. Would anyone be able to help me construct a two plant setup to run two AUTO plants in and help me choose nutes and help me get me started?

i have some stuff from a very crude DWC i tried many years ago.

i own a good air pump, and have various buckets/tubs and plumbing parts laying around, i have net pots and meters, i have really great water, i have some nutes but am open to trying something else to be honest.

i'm really only looking to dip my toe and try this out.. if i really like it and want to move forward i would invest in a quality setup. for right now i'm looking for cheap and reliable. anyone think that could be done and willing to help me?

FloraFlex is always a good inexpensive option for a hydroponics setup
Hey bud. We're not a fan of hidden links. Mobile users can't hover over it to see where it's taking them and that just opens the door to malware and other serious issues.

Plug your links into relevant threads. That's fine, but be transparent about it.

Its the reason i keep mine at 68 ,i always have.
Many say you'll get better growth around 70 to 72

thanks!! noted and bookmarked. so i don't know if your ears were ringing last night but i was here saying fukin Smoke was right, these freakin uniseals are a bitch!!!!! i've put in plenty of 2" but 3" is a whole new level of toughness!!!

More water will help it keep a more stable pH.

You actually want to keep a little solution while doing changes unless, like you said, there's an issue. Your microbes will take a couple weeks to fully establish themselves so you don't want to start that over with every res change. When I want ALL the water out, I shopvac it. I only do that every so often to guarantee that the solution I mix is the solution they get.

i left if lower, you're right and in case i upgrade i'll appreciate the extra volume.

and i need o remember that about not fully draining. you've told me that before i forgot all about that.

the chiller is really for that, roots can be "happy:" in 80-90F too.

hmmm gives me another thought....

i never knew that... always thought it was a cooler number. thanks for teaching me!!!

FloraFlex is always a good inexpensive option for a hydroponics setup

thanks for the link!

i've learned that PEX elbows and tees work really well with 3/4" tube and the prices aren't grow inflated on them.

018.JPG

here we have it... all plumbed and ready for a leak test!!!!!

016.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

017.JPG

I got a few things to do this evening and then later i'm going to start adding water and see what happens!!!! if it leaks i'm screwed, can't really tighten unseals they either seal or they don't!!

if everything holds water then i'll list some volumes and final pics and vid. then i'll start a journal to document the grow with it.

fingers crossed!!!!

i had a couple small leaks but i'm pretty sure i got it sealed now. i was to gentle on the pump bulkhead so i had to tighten it up. i need to dry up the floor to test it again. with that wooded cradle on the tote it is hard to see where the leak is right away.

it holds 25 gallons exactly with the water about an inch below the netcup. with the waterfalls the bottom of the netcups stay wet no matter how little water is in the bucket. not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing? if it's bad somebody please tell me and i'll put an elbow on it.

i should have the hydroten and nutes delivered later today. my old order was lost and cancelled. it okay though i'd kinda like to let it run a few days before i get started.

Looking good buddy!

not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing? if it's bad somebody please tell me and i'll put an elbow on it.
I'd probably throw some elbows on there. I don't think you'll want that direct impact to the netpot. It should stay moist but I'm thinking that's gonna be a bit much.

Looking good buddy!

I'd probably throw some elbows on there. I don't think you'll want that direct impact to the netpot. It should stay moist but I'm thinking that's gonna be a bit much.

thanks man, i thought they might have been getting hammered a bit, i have two more elbows left over from the five pack so kinda meant to be. i'll mess with different angles and see what looks the foamiest.

so my nervous part is over, filled it up had a leak hopefully its all good. now comes the scary part, adding nutes and a living plant!! everything looks all fine when it's just water, there's no pressure.. now add a my favorite living thing to the mix and we got sleepless nights for the first couple days!!

Grump, should i follow the GH feed chart to the letter? or is there wiggle room and just something i'll have to learn by doing?

Grump, should i follow the GH feed chart to the letter? or is there wiggle room and just something i'll have to learn by doing?
I followed it. I think hydro falls under the aggressive growth so you can feed 321 all the way through veg, only adjusting the concentration. CalMag is the variable. I ran 3ml/gal. I think @smoke runs 2ml/gal.

Start small and work your way up as you go. It's better to slightly underfeed than overfeed. I usually start my youngins around 150 and work it up every week or three. I'm hitting these plants harder than usual at 420 three weeks old.

You got Armor Si, right? I think they want you to mix that first, letting it set for 45 minutes. Then PH Down to 5.8. Next calmag. Then Micro, grow, bloom.

i had a couple small leaks but i'm pretty sure i got it sealed now. i was to gentle on the pump bulkhead so i had to tighten it up. i need to dry up the floor to test it again. with that wooded cradle on the tote it is hard to see where the leak is right away.

it holds 25 gallons exactly with the water about an inch below the netcup. with the waterfalls the bottom of the netcups stay wet no matter how little water is in the bucket. not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing? if it's bad somebody please tell me and i'll put an elbow on it.

i should have the hydroten and nutes delivered later today. my old order was lost and cancelled. it okay though i'd kinda like to let it run a few days before i get started.

Stoneyponics looks all kinds of baddass bro!!!
You're gonna have a lot of fun with that. Just something cool about running water in a grow room until that sound makes you wanna pee.
Now you know why I've always wanted a urinal in the room;)
Best of luck with this project Buddy!!!

I followed it. I think hydro falls under the aggressive growth so you can feed 321 all the way through veg, only adjusting the concentration. CalMag is the variable. I ran 3ml/gal. I think @smoke runs 2ml/gal.

Start small and work your way up as you go. It's better to slightly underfeed than overfeed. I usually start my youngins around 150 and work it up every week or three. I'm hitting these plants harder than usual at 420 three weeks old.

You got Armor Si, right? I think they want you to mix that first, letting it set for 45 minutes. Then PH Down to 5.8. Next calmag. Then Micro, grow, bloom.
I also add about 3ml per gallon of RO water. Do your own test but i find that adding 3ml/gal of RO equals 180 ppm

so i guess i need to buy ca/mag as well, is there anything else i need to get?

my plan was to go with the "light feed" chart, so are you saying since it's hydro i should follow the aggressive feed chart?

Screenshot 2024-08-11 183532.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-11 185251.jpg

yes sir i did. but GH says to not use it till week two, not in the seedling stage...

Screenshot 2024-08-11 183955.jpg

this is why i asked if i should follow the chart to a T... seems like everyone has discrepancies and modifies the chart a lot. i have a feeling i'll have to learn this part the hard way. plus all these charts are for photoperiod plants, i might be on my own island with an auto. all the autos i grew had pistils around week three so i will probably have to start the bloom before the chart says. IDK... like you say - Wingin' it!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i bought the one step GH floranova so it would be easier for my first time. i might mess with the three part when i get more comfortable next time.

Stoneyponics looks all kinds of baddass bro!!!
You're gonna have a lot of fun with that. Just something cool about running water in a grow room until that sound makes you wanna pee.
Now you know why I've always wanted a urinal in the room;)
Best of luck with this project Buddy!!!

thanks brother!!!! it's been fun so far so i hope that keeps on keepin on!!!!!

and yeah when i was filling it for the first time i had to take a leak!!! :LOL: i get to sneak outside and find the local tree!!! :ROFLMAO:

I also add about 3ml per gallon of RO water. Do your own test but i find that adding 3ml/gal of RO equals 180 ppm

so you add cal/mag as well? i thought i read that Aquaman said i didn't need cal/mag and it was snake oil. but now i just noticed he also says it comes in handy so i'm not sure if he uses it or not.

is there any specific kind of cal/mag better for hydro or can i get any kind?

You wont need cal mag with any nutrients. Almost are designed for RO water. With the exception of some made for hard water that have reduced cal and mag for that reason.

Cal mag is a kind of snake oil in a sense. But it does come in handy to give them a bump if needed. Although I don’t think i have ever seen a true lack of Ca ever. Same with Mg its usually an uptake issue or ratio from adding other additives or pH.

Maybe in coco because of the CEC and affinity for K and i think Ca. But can’t remember a time it was lack of

my plan was to go with the "light feed" chart, so are you saying since it's hydro i should follow the aggressive feed chart?

View attachment 68522

View attachment 68524

yes sir i did. but GH says to not use it till week two, not in the seedling stage...

View attachment 68523

this is why i asked if i should follow the chart to a T... seems like everyone has discrepancies and modifies the chart a lot. i have a feeling i'll have to learn this part the hard way. plus all these charts are for photoperiod plants, i might be on my own island with an auto. all the autos i grew had pistils around week three so i will probably have to start the bloom before the chart says. IDK... like you say - Wingin' it!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i bought the one step GH floranova so it would be easier for my first time. i might mess with the three part when i get more comfortable next time.

thanks brother!!!! it's been fun so far so i hope that keeps on keepin on!!!!!

and yeah when i was filling it for the first time i had to take a leak!!! :LOL: i get to sneak outside and find the local tree!!! :ROFLMAO:

so you add cal/mag as well? i thought i read that Aquaman said i didn't need cal/mag and it was snake oil. but now i just noticed he also says it comes in handy so i'm not sure if he uses it or not.

is there any specific kind of cal/mag better for hydro or can i get any kind?
It depends some may not need extra mag also depends on the growth environment, spectrum and Youre base nutrient ratios

Just get epsom salt

i'd have to buy those too so either way i gotta pick something up and maybe can't drop the seeds yet.

Fuck the charts lol

Tell/show us and we'll help you

Low and slow. Ramp up.

haha thanks man, i was kinda waiting for somebody to say that!! :LOL:

i get what you're saying though man.. just ease into it and watch the plants and don't do anything stupid!

It depends some may not need extra mag also depends on the growth environment, spectrum and Youre base nutrient ratios

ya know just looking and GH says not to use cal/mag on week one anyway so maybe i can start the seeds tonight!!

first i gotta fill it back up and make sure the leak is fixed. i'll wait on the seeds, maybe tomorrow...

i'm just getting antsy and need to calm down and focus and not put the cart before the horse.

I see seeds being popped before 2:30 am~! :p
Seedlings need nothing till they grow past the cotyledons.
Like an egg sac on a fish, you just watch till they need our help.
When first leaves show I start with light feeds.

I see seeds being popped before 2:30 am~! :p

stop.. you're being a bad influence!!!! but you're probably correct though!!! :LOL:

Seedlings need nothing till they grow past the cotyledons.
Like an egg sac on a fish, you just watch till they need our help.
When first leaves show I start with light feeds.

thats what i was just thinking too.. even if i dropped them tonight i wouldn't have to put them in for like three days and even when i do they really only need water, so i think with just orca and light feed on veg nutes and nothing else, ph'd down to 5.5 i should be able to keep them alive without issues.

10ppm means you need to add everything.
Whatever the 10 is it is insignificant.
It is as close to zero of everything as it gets basically.

thanks Steam, good stuff. that's how i was thinking as well. i figured i was close enough to zero to follow RO rules and not tap water. i don't even have tap water at my house.

i run my areocloner with very little nutes at all and have grown full size plants out of that thing before using my water. so i think i'm just getting caught up in my own head with the nutes and need to just try it and see!! i think i'm overcomplicating it now and i just need to relax!

I got a lot to catch up on so let me just drop this here. This was the chart I was referring to when I said aggressive feed.

1000014233-jpg.68536

That just refers to the ratios. The amount are up to you when it comes to ppm. I usually start with 30% of what they recommend. The light feed on that chart you shared would get you close.

Attachments

• 1000014233.jpg
    1000014233.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 17
I got a lot to catch up on so let me just drop this here. This was the chart I was referring to when I said aggressive feed.

1000014233-jpg.68536

That just refers to the ratios. The amount are up to you when it comes to ppm. I usually start with 30% of what they recommend. The light feed on that chart you shared would get you close.

i'm just not sure at all...i'm going to go with what's on the bottle i bought and just ignore the charts.. the charts don't match the bottle anyway.

it might be all for not anyway man, i have even more leaks than i ha yesterday now. not even sure where it's coming from. this DIY plan was a very bad idea!!! i might just quit while i can still return $60 worth of stuff.. not sure what i'll do at this point. gonna sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow!

for now it's not good and i'm not sure what to do... quitting is my usual go to! :(

it might be all for not anyway man, i have even more leaks than i ha yesterday now. not even sure where it's coming from. this DIY plan was a very bad idea!!! i might just quit while i can still return $60 worth of stuff.. not sure what i'll do at this point. gonna sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow!

for now it's not good and i'm not sure what to do... quitting is my usual go to! :(
Bulkheads are your answer for the big ones. I'm pretty sure moe was printing his own. Current Culture makes some really heavy duty ones but they're pricey.

Last edited:
Uniseals are your answer for the big ones. I'm pretty sure moe was printing his own. Current Culture makes some really heavy duty ones but they're pricey.

it turns out it's my drain and my pump pipe. one is a bulkhead and the other is a uniseal. it's the two small ones that i'm having an issue with, you'd think it would be the big 3", especially in a round bucket but noooo i have a leak on the ones that shouldn't have an issue. :D i took the bulkhead back off and can't find anything wrong with it. same with the uniseal, everything appears to be fine but still has small leaks in each one.

i'm gonna give this a try as a last ditch effort..

71p6tcyPc-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the spray worked great for the tops but i can't get under the fitting and when i look with a mirror it looks like the only place it can be coming from yet so maybe i can pack the paste under there and just fill in from the bottom of the fitting to the bottom of the tote and just paste is all shut.

my saga continues....

well i pulled an all nighter but i think i got it this time, at least i feel confident anyway.. i forgot i had other bulkheads on a shelf and they worked for me on pond stuff in the past and i happen to have the two sizes i needed so i put them on and also sealed them with some adhesive that works pretty good so i feel good about it.

i'll let it dry for the day and give it another try.

this is what i used this time...

006.JPG

fingers crossed!!

well i pulled an all nighter but i think i got it this time, at least i feel confident anyway.. i forgot i had other bulkheads on a shelf and they worked for me on pond stuff in the past and i happen to have the two sizes i needed so i put them on and also sealed them with some adhesive that works pretty good so i feel good about it.

View attachment 68574

fingers crossed!!
Nice stoney

I can't sleep lol

View attachment 68574

fingers crossed!!
Yeah I meant bulkheads. You got the idea though. How's it holding up?

Nice stoney

I can't sleep lol

i wish i would have thought of using those from the beginning. especially since i already had them on the shelf!

it's alright though i don't mind posting my failures, maybe one day somebody will be reading this an it helps them make the right choice to start with!!

Yeah I meant bulkheads. You got the idea though. How's it holding up?

don' t know yet, haven't had the balls to try it yet!! haha nah i'm letting that sealant dry till like 7pm est.

the one nice thing is i only have to put in five gallons to test the leaks.

View attachment 68522

View attachment 68524

Have you tried using Hydrobuddy to kinda guestimate what you wanna go with?

We're going to try changing our feeding schedule next run to try and make it a bit cheaper.3.5-2.0-0-.4CA.JPG

It doesn't quite hit all of the stuff smoke was posting but I can't get those types of PPM's without having 3ec. When I made this it was sitting just above 2ec/1020PPMs.

Have you tried using Hydrobuddy to kinda guestimate what you wanna go with?

We're going to try changing our feeding schedule next run to try and make it a bit cheaper.View attachment 68610

It doesn't quite hit all of the stuff smoke was posting but I can't get those types of PPM's without having 3ec. When I made this it was sitting just above 2ec/1020PPMs.

no, i wasn't aware something like that existed.. thanks man, i downloaded it and will give it a try.

i see charts and that program show ppms of each mineral, are these measurable by us at home? is there a way i measure just the N? is it even worth knowing in your opinion?

so so far so good... i got nine gallons in there for a couple hours now and not a single drop!!! i put paper towels under the fittings so i know for sure...

009.JPG

i'm gonna fill it up in a little bit and make sure i'm still in the clear, if so i clean up all my tools and maybe even drop some seeds.... maybe... i'm still nervous for leaks. i probably will be for a few days yet!!! :rolleyes:

but for now i just have a sense of relief knowing i can move forward and get this started!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom