Stoney's Soil vs Hydro Apple Fritter Auto show

I grew in soil my first couple years and I have a heavy hand so I failed miserably.
that smaller pots and extra perlite is the way to go I found it difficult to give proper nutrient levels to the plants when they didn't have proper drybacks and I would always get a few plants that would be on different watering schedules. Haven't tried hydro yet still on coco but not sure I'll ever go back to soil unless I start growing outdoors

It was my past work and experience with several types of hydro from no medium tech like DWC and aero to coco and hydroton mediums that really upped my game in organics and soil.
Out of everything, aeroponics is my favorite but getting it organic is extremely difficult and very high maintenance.
I think the best thing any grower can do is cross train and apply what we learn across the mediums into the preferred choice. I bounce back and forth trying things but the goal is always to be organic and go saltless. Organic is probaly the only thing I'm really married to in growing weed. Everything else is up for grabs.
But I'd definitely say the things I can do in soils and organics today would not be where they are if not for lots of experience in hydro

Looks like you've found that pesky speed bump in your soil grows buddy.
The big advantage the 'dro has over the soil is oxygen in the roots and it always plays out this way in side by sides.
I think the only way to keep up is to use aerating containers like airpots or fabric bags and cut the soil 75/25 with xtra perlite if needed.
And downsize container as well. Like I think you're in 7gallon, cut it down to 2-3 gallon next time especially for autos. You'll get a faster dry back which means more air and a more rapid exchange in watering.
I don't cut my soil but the airpots are where I find the speed to keep pace with hydro. I also aerate my water looking for additional ways to inject air into the medium.
The smaller aerating container and xtra perlite will help get lots more oxygen to the roots instead of being choked off like that. The hydro can breathe freely so you want to achieve that in the soil otherwise it's like the roots are trying to breathe with a pillow covering their face.

yea i really shot myself in the foot with these bigger containers.. i was trying for a final pot thing with the autos but auto or not they're still plants and i should have treated them as such. i should have started small like you say and having dry backs would have helped considerably plus when upcanning you get the fresh new soil added in!!

it's okay man, i've completely decided this will not be my last side x side!!! i really like the hydro and it's been a lot of fun for me and super glad i tried it and can't wait to take everything i learned so far and get another shot at it.

i think with some better practice and giving the soil plants a much better start i can do better and i feel the autos held me back just a little because that little bit of stress pushed the soil plants into flower and now i'm stuck at the small size.

next run will be with photos and some much needed changes. i also want to make the room itself a little more controllable, i've been lucky so far and i am able to keep the numbers in check but other times of the year might not be as lucky.

in the middle of week five right now...

002.JPG

i raised the two soil plants up to match the same lighting level...

004.JPG

007.JPG

one is growing good and the others are ehhh... i screwed it all up with the orange oil it was such a setback.

i have all the bloom nutrients mixed and aerating.. the organics in the flourolicious is teaming well with the orca!!!!! it's got foam and that yummy organic smell to it!!!! :D it's been holding steady at 5.7 and around 510ppm.... probably do a rez change out tomorrow.

i put in Agsil 16 - KOH- Calimagic - Nova Bloom - Koolbloom - Orca - King Crab - Flouralicious

008.JPG

šŸ™ƒ:)šŸ™ƒ

Back
Top Bottom