New Grower, Gifted a Clone, Potted Outdoor - need advice, thanks!

Annaresti

Stoned Scientist
Reaction score
Hello,

First off, Thank you for being a forum that is welcoming of noobs.

I am seeking the collective wisdom as I have planted a clone in a fabric pot, outdoor. I was gifted the clone - so i'm not sure how old it was when I got it. I planted it in the pot on June 20 and let it get used to outdoors, now it looks pretty happy. As a fan of cali-green on youtube, I'm trying to do living organics.

It looks like it might have been topped once or twice while it was a clone, but I can't tell. It's doing well and I think I have a good grasp on watering and feeding (but I'm not sure). I'm not expecting any mind blowing results, but I hope to keep it alive and get some flower.

I don't know what to do in terms of pruning or topping - or really anything.

I've been using neem oil once a week and ran out of B.T so I need to get some more to do that once a week (Unless people advise spinosad?) My water when it gets dry every 2-3 days, depending on the heat, try not to allow runoff. Spray it once in a while with see weed extract. Watered with compost tea twice now. I'm in northern California.

This strain is called "Rank Bull" which i've never heard of (Maybe a big bull cross?)

Please check photo. Any advice that you think will be helpful is most welcome. Sorry i'm all over the place.

- Annaresti

1000007272.jpg1000007273.jpg

Everyones offered some great tips.

If you decide to do an indoor grow you really want to plan it out so that you get your setup right the first time out. Indoor setups are costly in comparison to outdoor growing but offer WAY more control over your plants.

What I would do is start with a 2 x 2 x 4 tent and a small light to light it. For a 2 x 2, I would go with a ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro. It's slightly over budget for what you wanted to spend but I think it's the best bang for your buck for a small 2 x 2 tent. I have one and love it. Once you have a run or two under your belt you can graduate to a larger tent if you enjoy indoor growing and size your lighting to the size tent you want to step up to as illustrated by @MiGrampa

I've used Bestva lights as my main tent lighting for decades and they've never failed me. I still have one of their old double chip blurple lights and it works beautifully. I use the blurple and one of their newer white light LED's along with a light from another company SSHZ gave me. Check them out.

Once you graduate to a larger tent you can use the 2 x 2 to house mother plants, sprout seeds, root clones, etc.

I did it backwards and invested in a 5 x 5 to start out then acquired two 2 x 2's to house mothers and have a place to quarantine plants, root clones, etc. It was a great setup and can be used in a perpetual grow scenario.

I would also look at AC Infinity if you decide you want to buy a kit or even if you don't they have great gear like fans, humidifiers, heaters, etc. I would say they are the leader in hobby growing gear and for good reason. Their gear is really good and they have great customer service.

Everyones offered some great tips.

If you decide to do an indoor grow you really want to plan it out so that you get your setup right the first time out. Indoor setups are costly in comparison to outdoor growing but offer WAY more control over your plants.

What I would do is start with a 2 x 2 x 4 tent and a small light to light it. For a 2 x 2, I would go with a ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro. It's slightly over budget for what you wanted to spend but I think it's the best bang for your buck for a small 2 x 2 tent. I have one and love it. Once you have a run or two under your belt you can graduate to a larger tent if you enjoy indoor growing and size your lighting to the size tent you want to step up to as illustrated by @MiGrampa

I've used Bestva lights as my main tent lighting for decades and they've never failed me. I still have one of their old double chip blurple lights and it works beautifully. I use the blurple and one of their newer white light LED's along with a light from another company SSHZ gave me. Check them out.

Once you graduate to a larger tent you can use the 2 x 2 to house mother plants, sprout seeds, root clones, etc.

I did it backwards and invested in a 5 x 5 to start out then acquired two 2 x 2's to house mothers and have a place to quarantine plants, root clones, etc. It was a great setup and can be used in a perpetual grow scenario.

I would also look at AC Infinity if you decide you want to buy a kit or even if you don't they have great gear like fans, humidifiers, heaters, etc. I would say they are the leader in hobby growing gear and for good reason. Their gear is really good and they have great customer service.
Very information. Thanks many!

I think i might do exactly this.

Also abit worried about this: found a few of these little mites on this leaf veins. I never seen them before, and they're like, very tiny red grains of rice but minuscule. Dang, wtf are they?
1000007702.jpg

Also abit worried about this: found a few of these little mites on this leaf veins. I never seen them before, and they're like, very tiny red grains of rice but minuscule. Dang, wtf are they?
View attachment 72115

Bu chance, do you have a wifi microscope? It would be helpful if you could take some magnified pictures of your insect pests. Someone would know for sure exactly what they are if the picture is large and clear enough ... This is also the reason why whenever you bring outside plants indoors, there's always some risk involved in bringing critters indoors. A few years back, I had a stoned moment and forgot to wash my hands after tending my outdoor plants ... it was late September and I was dealing with some white powdery mildew on some plants. I cut those down, went inside and touched my 1 of my indoor plants 1 time and then realized I had not washed up or changed my clothes ... That was all it took to bring WPM indoors.

At any rate, I know from what you stated in previous posts that you've been pretty proactive in preventative treatment ... hopefully that will be enough to protect your plants.

Fungus gnats, or regular gnats? Something else? Buzzing around my eyes, the plant in my backyard, are a bunch of these little guys. They don't seem to be focused on the dirt, but the leaves and i'm not sure what they areView attachment 72049View attachment 72050
The second photo looks like it might be a small variety of mayfly, but I can't see the tail to be certain. If so, it's harmless to the plant. They live their lives under water and only hatch off for one glorious day/night of procreation before falling back into the water and feeding the fish. I remember an old fly fishing cartoon where a boy mayfly holding a 6-pack of beer asks the girl mayfly, "What do you mean not tonight?", lol

Bu chance, do you have a wifi microscope? It would be helpful if you could take some magnified pictures of your insect pests. Someone would know for sure exactly what they are if the picture is large and clear enough ... This is also the reason why whenever you bring outside plants indoors, there's always some risk involved in bringing critters indoors. A few years back, I had a stoned moment and forgot to wash my hands after tending my outdoor plants ... it was late September and I was dealing with some white powdery mildew on some plants. I cut those down, went inside and touched my 1 of my indoor plants 1 time and then realized I had not washed up or changed my clothes ... That was all it took to bring WPM indoors.

At any rate, I know from what you stated in previous posts that you've been pretty proactive in preventative treatment ... hopefully that will be enough to protect your plants.
Some of my friends think I'm crazy when I make them wash their hands and wear a canvas coverall before entering the lung room to open the tent and look at the flowers. I told them they're lucky I'm not making them wear a hair net too! 😄

Haven't had a bug infestation for a long time now. I bought sticky traps and used them on the first run I did in the new tent but haven't had to after that.

Back
Top Bottom