reliable economic hydro setup for a noob

Stoneyluv

^ I break things ^
Staff member
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Is there such a thing?

I'm asking the hydro gurus here, i want to know if it is even possible to put together a two plant setup in a few days?

I am good with my hands and can build almost anything. Would anyone be able to help me construct a two plant setup to run two AUTO plants in and help me choose nutes and help me get me started?

i have some stuff from a very crude DWC i tried many years ago.

i own a good air pump, and have various buckets/tubs and plumbing parts laying around, i have net pots and meters, i have really great water, i have some nutes but am open to trying something else to be honest.

i'm really only looking to dip my toe and try this out.. if i really like it and want to move forward i would invest in a quality setup. for right now i'm looking for cheap and reliable. anyone think that could be done and willing to help me?

Oh yeah! 10ppm is gonna do just fine as long as you can keep enough on hand.

I think I remember folks saying you can use whatever water as long as it's under 150ppm and isn't chlorinated. Either way, you should have no trouble using that rain water. Nice!

I don't think which nutes you choose will make a huge impact on your grow. They all come with their own learning curve and I think that's why so many suggest the Flora trio. Lots of people using it so there's plenty of help there. If you choose something nobody uses, you'll be mostly on your own. Either way, following manufacturers specs will get you close. They often recommend too hot of solution though, so keep that in mind. So far I like my powdered nutes for simplicity. So much easier to measure grams than milliliters, in my opinion. Solubility is the issue I'm running into now.

I mentioned using Power Si above. That was a lie and I knew it as soon as you posted that Armor Si. That's what I have. My ass is overworked and sleep deprived.

I'm pumped for you, bro. I've had so much fun growing in water. It's just been really cool to blend my love of pot with my hands on skills. My local grow-buddy grows in super soil and was pretty harsh when I told him I'm going hydro. Now he's in love with my plants and both of my crops have outperformed all of his in every aspect. Taste, high and frost. Now he's contemplating changing it up. That's not me saying soil sucks. He might suck šŸ¤£

Oh yeah! 10ppm is gonna do just fine as long as you can keep enough on hand.

I think I remember folks saying you can use whatever water as long as it's under 150ppm and isn't chlorinated. Either way, you should have no trouble using that rain water. Nice!

I don't think which nutes you choose will make a huge impact on your grow. They all come with their own learning curve and I think that's why so many suggest the Flora trio. Lots of people using it so there's plenty of help there. If you choose something nobody uses, you'll be mostly on your own. Either way, following manufacturers specs will get you close. They often recommend too hot of solution though, so keep that in mind. So far I like my powdered nutes for simplicity. So much easier to measure grams than milliliters, in my opinion. Solubility is the issue I'm running into now.

I mentioned using Power Si above. That was a lie and I knew it as soon as you posted that Armor Si. That's what I have. My ass is overworked and sleep deprived.

I'm pumped for you, bro. I've had so much fun growing in water. It's just been really cool to blend my love of pot with my hands on skills. My local grow-buddy grows in super soil and was pretty harsh when I told him I'm going hydro. Now he's in love with my plants and both of my crops have outperformed all of his in every aspect. Taste, high and frost. Now he's contemplating changing it up. That's not me saying soil sucks. He might suck šŸ¤£

i normally have about 315 gallons on hand at any given time so that's one thing i shouldn't have to worry about. i'm pretty sure my well water is around 60ppm so i could probably even use that if i get in a pinch. the rain water is free though, doesn't cost me a penny, no pumps all gravity flow.

i figured i was going to have to learn to manipulate the nutrient levels and keep things balanced along the way. i haven't looked into how to do any of that just yet just trying not to overwhelm myself and keeping this fun! my worry is that first time something goes wrong and how i handle it.

so i've ordered the GH floraNova one part. i got a pint of grow and a quart of bloom. i figured i am only gonna be vegging an auto for three or four weeks and she'll be spitting pistils by then. i also ordered the Armor Si and a set of ph up and down.. i already have down but it actually costs more to buy just the up so i just bought the combo, came with a testing solution but i doubt i'll use that.

i'm pumped too man, i thought i'd be so much more nervous but i'm more excited at this point. i'm just going to try to keep it simple and take one step at a time.

i really appreciate everybody's help and time to explain things to me. not sure if i would have taken the plunge if you guys wern't helping me!!

I was an organic soil grower for a long time. The switch to Coco was nice. The switch to DWC has been amazing. It really is fun. Jump in!.

i didn't know that man... do you ever think of growing in soil again? or are you water forever now?

my worry is that first time something goes wrong and how i handle it.
That's for sure a bigger issue with Hydro. Things happen a bit faster so problems can seem to come out of nowhere. I'm convinced that as long as you're feeding them, they'll live. If/when a problem or deficiency rears it's ugly head, just lower your light intensity. That'll slow things down and give you a little more time to diagnose.

i'm pumped too man, i thought i'd be so much more nervous but i'm more excited at this point. i'm just going to try to keep it simple and take one step at a time.
Yeah man. Keep it simple stupid.

I've had a lot of help but it's been relatively simple so far. I think if you can grow, you can grow in water. If I can do it, you can too.

We got your back bro šŸ‘Š

Rain water is perfect.

Totes are good cheap ways to increase volume. What I donā€™t love is they are flexible and can leak around penetrations and if you put several plant sites in one the roots will grow together and make it impossible to remove single plants. 13 gal square buckets are the best but can be pricey. Kitty litter sometimes comes in them maybe get them for free? Restaurants get food in them too and throw out the buckets if you got any friends with pussies or pastries

Also the tote lids will leak light so you will need to address that somehow keep the roots dark.

That's for sure a bigger issue with Hydro. Things happen a bit faster so problems can seem to come out of nowhere. I'm convinced that as long as you're feeding them, they'll live. If/when a problem or deficiency rears it's ugly head, just lower your light intensity. That'll slow things down and give you a little more time to diagnose.

noted, if i see anything funny pull back on the reins and slow it down to give time to heal.

Yeah man. Keep it simple stupid.

I've had a lot of help but it's been relatively simple so far. I think if you can grow, you can grow in water. If I can do it, you can too.

We got your back bro šŸ‘Š

thanks bro!!!

otes are good cheap ways to increase volume. What I donā€™t love is they are flexible and can leak around penetrations and if you put several plant sites in one the roots will grow together and make it impossible to remove single plants. 13 gal square buckets are the best but can be pricey. Kitty litter sometimes comes in them maybe get them for free? Restaurants get food in them too and throw out the buckets if you got any friends with pussies or pastries

Also the tote lids will leak light so you will need to address that somehow keep the roots dark.

i understand, i picked up a tote for the rez and i will use buckets this time i think.. i say i think because i need to look i have a few cat litter containers but they're the ones 35lbs come in, doesn't look more than 5 gallons. i;ve never seen them in more than 35lb pails?

maybe it was good that i bought the netcups i did for the first try because they fit a five gallon bucket perfect and won't leak light at all.

41Sy2cvzOdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lol. Never say never!

NICE!!!! ya know i could easily see myself just growing both.. i have two grow cabinets both the same size, maybe i just make one a soil cab and one a hydro cab... anything could happen.

hey guys!!

i've been following along in Nesta's thread as he is upgrading his system at the moment an i got confused about placement and size of recirculation lines.

my plan was to build it just like this except a tote for a control rez:

20220318_140112__26112.1671464999.jpg

only i was going to use 1" pvc hardline for all three pipes.

is this wrong to do? i notice Nesta is using two different size lines and they're not both at the bottom of his containers and one waterfalls back in.

hey guys!!

i've been following along in Nesta's thread as he is upgrading his system at the moment an i got confused about placement and size of recirculation lines.

my plan was to build it just like this except a tote for a control rez:

20220318_140112__26112.1671464999.jpg

only i was going to use 1" pvc hardline for all three pipes.

is this wrong to do? i notice Nesta is using two different size lines and they're not both at the bottom of his containers and one waterfalls back in.
Most people recommend a return line of 2" or bigger so the roots are less likely to clog the lines.

The waterfall isn't necessary but it might help a bit with oxygen levels by breaking the surface of the water.

Most people recommend a return line of 2" or bigger so the roots are less likely to clog the lines.

The waterfall isn't necessary but it might help a bit with oxygen levels by breaking the surface of the water.

oh shit glad i didn't cut anything yet, i was just following PA hydro setup.

is there an pic of an example or company that makes something good?

Your picture is a dwc not a rdwc.
You should have larger drain lines for recirculating.
Like Grump said you don't have to have separate feed lines but I would.
Current culture is who you want to copy.
Are the buckets you plan on using white? That may cause light issues with roots? Anybody else on that.

Your picture is a dwc not a rdwc.
You should have larger drain lines for recirculating.
Like Grump said you don't have to have separate feed lines but I would.
Current culture is who you want to copy.
Are the buckets you plan on using white? That may cause light issues with roots? Anybody else on that.

ahhh yeah thats more what i'm seeing in photos... i'll look at their site for sizes and stuff.. thanks man!!!

but that other system is a RDWC, has a pump to circulate...

just small rez and lines.

i was just peeking and i have enough 2" or 3" or 4 or 5 or 6 actually,,, i have a PVC graveyard like you've never seen!!!!

I believe the blue line is the pump return from the PVC line middle of system drawing water through the PVC.
The lower small gray line is a drain line for changes I believe.
Having the water falls decreases the chances of leaks with all the holes you are making. It is one hole above the waterline that should never leak in theory.
1722892587984.png
This picture has pump pulling water to res where it waterfalls in and flows back to plants through the PVC.

Last edited:
I believe the blue line is the pump return from the PVC line middle of system drawing water through the PVC.
The lower small gray line is a drain line for changes I believe.
Having the water falls decreases the chances of leaks with all the holes you are making. It is one hole above the waterline that should never leak in theory.
View attachment 67928
This picture has pump pulling water to res where it waterfalls in and flows back to plants through the PVC.

now i'm even more confused... so the "drain" line that doesn't drain anything is pulling water from the small tube at the bottom and pumping it up into the rez.

does that mean the volume gravity weight of the rez is what pushes the recirculated water around into the plant sites?

so IF what i'm thinking is true, what keeps the roots from clogging up the small return line at the bottom that is sucking in the pump?

i still don't really understand the concept at all i guess... i just thought it was moving water around in three buckets with two of them getting air stones.

Yeah they call theirs the "under current" system. I don't think the logistics matter too much as long as you have water leaving the control res, through the sites and back.

now i'm even more confused... so the "drain" line that doesn't drain anything is pulling water from the small tube at the bottom and pumping it up into the rez.

does that mean the volume gravity weight of the rez is what pushes the recirculated water around into the plant sites?

so IF what i'm thinking is true, what keeps the roots from clogging up the small return line at the bottom that is sucking in the pump?

i still don't really understand the concept at all i guess... i just thought it was moving water around in three buckets with two of them getting air stones.
That small line on the CC system IS a drain line. They're pulling from the end of the 2" run and spitting it into the control res for the feewater. The drain line isn't shown in the second pic smoke shared.

so what should i build?
That PA system systems easy and economical. I use the UnderCurrent buckets but my larger lines are the return lines instead. Waterfall in the top. They're sucking the water from the end of their supply lines and returning it to the control res via waterfall. Either way works.

That PA system systems easy and economical. I use the UnderCurrent buckets but my larger lines are the return lines instead. Waterfall in the top. They're sucking the water from the end of their supply lines and returning it to the control res via waterfall. Either way works.

so the waterfall is not in the plant sites? just in the rez?

and the big pipes is what essentially provides the plant sites with water?

wait so there is only one large pipe going between the plant sites? no other pipes in the plant site buckets except for an air line?

is the water return line that goes to the pump inlet just connected to the middle of the big pipe that joins the two plant sites?

1722894505091.png
White pvc line is an air line for all four buckets.
Gray is drain.
Blue is from the 2-3 inch flow line after going through both sites and pumping back into the res.
I designed a custom system before we came here I was going to make. Each bucket had its own overflow so the water level never changed in buckets only in the res.
I won't run Hydro without RO water and that is where it all hinges for me so I stay with soil.

View attachment 67929
White pvc line is an air line for all four buckets.
Gray is drain.
Blue is from the 2-3 inch flow line after going through both sites and pumping back into the res.
I designed a custom system before we came here I was going to make. Each bucket had its own overflow so the water level never changed in buckets only in the res.
I won't run Hydro without RO water and that is where it all hinges for me so I stay with soil.

i think i got it, i was overcomplicating it. i though the water had to recirculate the water "through" each plant site and back to the rez. this is really just recirculating around the plant sites and they just get fresh water from the small waves... am i thinking correctly now?

and the drain is really a drain and ONLY used when you want to empty the plant sites and system for changeouts?

the air part i got.. it;s the only damn part i understand!! :LOL:

rain water my friend just a 275g cage tote under your rain gutter!!! gonna rain for four days this week!!! i have two, one for my plants and one for my pond for top off.. it's been many years since they were emptied but when they were new it only took like a couple hours to fill up!!!

you can find them for free....

001.JPG

mine have been in place for almost ten years now... weeds literally grow from the top!!!

002.JPG003.JPG

just think.. everyday you're not working, you're collecting water!!!! ya know cuz it's raining!! :D

New style current culture has a false bottom with a sump integrated into the bottom, this is to drain the system, grey tubing View attachment 67931
The old style had no sump and is drained using shop vac to finish
View attachment 67930

Thanks Smoke!! that makes sense now!!! i am using two buckets for my plant sites and they are used leftovers from my SIP system so they happen to already have a small 1/2 sealed tube from the bottom so i will just repurpose these for a drain. won't be as good as having a sump design but if the holes are already there why not.

2" bulkhead could be hard to seal using round buckets

i'm going to use uni-seals. i've used them before on my koi pond with success.

Thanks Smoke!! that makes sense now!!! i am using two buckets for my plant sites and they are used leftovers from my SIP system so they happen to already have a small 1/2 sealed tube from the bottom so i will just repurpose these for a drain. won't be as good as having a sump design but if the holes are already there why not.

i'm going to use uni-seals. i've used them before on my koi pond with success.
I used uniseals twice. My first and last time

I used uniseals twice. My first and last time

sounds like me and bulkheads. i tried bulkheads a few times with my old aquaponic setup and failed every time. ever since switching to uniseals my life has been without leaks! :D

i never grew hydro but i have gown aquaponics for veggies.. systems are totally different but both have leaks!! :LOL:

DSCN7636.JPGDSCN7642.JPG

i even had a big NFT setup at one time but a nosy bear came in and tore it down.

sounds like me and bulkheads. i tried bulkheads a few times with my old aquaponic setup and failed every time. ever since switching to uniseals my life has been without leaks! :D

i never grew hydro but i have gown aquaponics for veggies.. systems are totally different but both have leaks!! :LOL:

View attachment 67949View attachment 67950

i even had a big NFT setup at one time but a nosy bear came in and tore it down.
I'd say, being in your basement, leaks aren't THAT serious. But with Hydro, you could dump a lot of water on the floor in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom