Parts list for making a drip irrigation setup

DoobieGrows

Ganja Guerrilla
Reaction score
Hello Budbuilders
I was wondering if anyone could help me make a parts list for making my own drip irrigation auto feed setup for my coco coir grows. I grow indoors in a 4x4 tent. I use liquid synthetic Nutes so idk if that changes anything? I am currently hand watering 4-5 times a day and it's really getting to be a PITA.
I would even be open to a full kit if it works properly. But I have no experience in this category.

Anyone ever run or currently running any of the Floraflex systems?
I have been setting up a system just like what you seem to be after. There is a threat on the old farm where people advise Aqua Man on the setup he had been planning. I got most of my ideas from there ("Planning out coco advice"). I would highly recommend that one. This is what I have learned:

Piping
You can go with PVC which is cheap and popular, especially if it is a permanent system. I went with 16mm PE pipe. It works with push fit fittings and is easy to work with. It can be disassembled easily. I am a fan of PE and would recommend it. For your size it is also cheap enough.
You should run a full loop for the pipe so the pressure equalises.

Pump
You don't need push water volume but a fair amount of pressure. Diaphragmatic pumps are cheap, reliable and produce a good amount of pressure. They are loud but will only run for roughly half a minute at a time. Mine does 4.3L/min 35psi. The brand is Seaflo.

Manifold
Floraflex looks pretty good. I have a Rainbird that I now run empty because the pressure regulating drip valves go up to 8l/h which is not enough and pointless for this endeavour. There is a simple 6x manifold that seems popular (in pic below). I'd go with that or the Floraflex.

Emitter
I initially got a cheap setup from Amazon for about 20USD. It wasn't terrible but I wanted more control. In the end I bought a set of the Floraflex Square Matrix emitters/trays. They are affordable and spread the water nicely. I have seen some experienced growers recommending open lines to avoid clogging but I prefer the way Floraflex spreads the water. It also reduces evaporation and reduces exposed surface for pests.

I have read a lot over the last few weeks. I have not seen anybody not be happy with Floraflex. Their prices are also decent.

This is an image I "found". It uses PVC (with threaded connectors) rather than PE. I put valves as risers which gives me two circuits I can control independently.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 09.01.45.png

I have been setting up a system just like what you seem to be after. There is a threat on the old farm where people advise Aqua Man on the setup he had been planning. I got most of my ideas from there ("Planning out coco advice"). I would highly recommend that one. This is what I have learned:

Piping
You can go with PVC which is cheap and popular, especially if it is a permanent system. I went with 16mm PE pipe. It works with push fit fittings and is easy to work with. It can be disassembled easily. I am a fan of PE and would recommend it. For your size it is also cheap enough.

Pump
You don't need push water volume but a fair amount of pressure. Diaphragmatic pumps are cheap, reliable and produce a good amount of pressure. They are loud but will only run for roughly half a minute at a time. Mine does 4.3L/min 35psi. The brand is Seaflo.

Manifold
Floraflex looks pretty good. I have a Rainbird that I now run empty because the pressure regulating drip valves go up to 8l/h which is not enough and pointless for this endeavour. There is a simple 6x manifold that seems popular (in pic below). I'd go with that or the Floraflex.

Emitter
I initially got a cheap setup from Amazon for about 20USD. It wasn't terrible but I wanted more control. In the end I bought a set of the Floraflex Square Matrix emitters/trays. They are affordable and spread the water nicely. I have seen some experienced growers recommending open lines to avoid clogging but I prefer the way Floraflex spreads the water. It also reduces evaporation and reduces exposed surface for pests.

I have read a lot over the last few weeks. I have not seen anybody not be happy with Floraflex. Their prices are also decent.

This is an image I "found". It uses PVC (with threaded connectors) rather than PE. I put valves as risers which gives me two circuits I can control independently.

View attachment 18521
Those panels remind me of dirtbags room

The drain/water guide panels

Piping

Pump

Manifold

Emitter

View attachment 18521
Thank you!

Those panels remind me of dirtbags room

The drain/water guide panels
It might be his. I have a whole directory full of screenshots I have taken and this is one of them.

I noticed that the Floraflex Matrix trays don't drain 100% so they might leave small puddles. That is my first slight negative experience with them. The water distributions seems great and I don't see them clogging. We'll see. I had made ghetto halos by drilling holes in a piece of drip irrigation pipe and turning into a loop using a T adapter. I guess they would have continued to work as well. I just wanted to try the Floraflex as well...

In general I have found some good drip irrigation providers that are not cannabis specific. Price and quality look good and they are established from other farming / irrigation systems. I don't think cannabis is special in this case so it might we worth looking into. Rainbird seems decent.

It might be his. I have a whole directory full of screenshots I have taken and this is one of them.

I noticed that the Floraflex Matrix trays don't drain 100% so they might leave small puddles. That is my first slight negative experience with them. The water distributions seems great and I don't see them clogging. We'll see. I had made ghetto halos by drilling holes in a piece of drip irrigation pipe and turning into a loop using a T adapter. I guess they would have continued to work as well. I just wanted to try the Floraflex as well...

In general I have found some good drip irrigation providers that are not cannabis specific. Price and quality look good and they are established from other farming / irrigation systems. I don't think cannabis is special in this case so it might we worth looking into. Rainbird seems decent.
It is indeed.

Don't plan on using the shitty ass black tube.

Probably get floraflex

Anyone have information on that green sponge filter and white balls thing? Lmao.

Aaaaand now what the fuck do I need or buy

I guess go the PVC route but what size? What size connectors? What are those called, lol.
Fittings.

Aaaaand get an actual water pump? Not these shitty tiny things.

And I guess let's say for 16-25 cubes or coco bags?

@tobh

Attachments

• 1695881400125347800392158685817.jpg
    1695881400125347800392158685817.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 16958814635042908598850181623400.jpg
    16958814635042908598850181623400.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 16958814739131164663636324349037.jpg
    16958814739131164663636324349037.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 16958814983558591364176252547461.jpg
    16958814983558591364176252547461.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Don't plan on using the shitty ass black tube.

Probably get floraflex

Anyone have information on that green sponge filter and white balls thing? Lmao.

Aaaaand now what the fuck do I need or buy

I guess go the PVC route but what size? What size connectors? What are those called, lol.
Fittings.

Aaaaand get an actual water pump? Not these shitty tiny things.

And I guess let's say for 16-25 cubes or coco bags?

@tobh
PVC is great for longer term systems that won't change much. 1/2" is more than adequate for most smaller scale grows, I used 3/4" simply because that was what was available at the hardware store near my old house.

you'll want to design the system to be easily disassembled. you do that by adding slip joints (that's what they're called) at key points in your plumbing. You'll also need an anti-siphon of some type. I use a one-way check valve with the spring removed. And, of course, a larger pump. Having a couple valves along the way to help control flow and trap solution in the line can be helpful.

I wouldn't necessarily leverage floraflex just because they're damn expensive for what they care and you can do just about everything their gear offers with standard off-the-shelf irrigation stuff from the big box hardware stores.

the biggest challenge you'll have, me thinks, is equalizing the pressure as you'll need at least two risers to feed that many sites. I'm not sure if rainbird makes a larger manifold than eight ports, so you may even need three risers and a loop of some type to equalize the pressure across the system.

PVC is great for longer term systems that won't change much. 1/2" is more than adequate for most smaller scale grows, I used 3/4" simply because that was what was available at the hardware store near my old house.

you'll want to design the system to be easily disassembled. you do that by adding slip joints (that's what they're called) at key points in your plumbing. You'll also need an anti-siphon of some type. I use a one-way check valve with the spring removed. And, of course, a larger pump. Having a couple valves along the way to help control flow and trap solution in the line can be helpful.

I wouldn't necessarily leverage floraflex just because they're damn expensive for what they care and you can do just about everything their gear offers with standard off-the-shelf irrigation stuff from the big box hardware stores.

the biggest challenge you'll have, me thinks, is equalizing the pressure as you'll need at least two risers to feed that many sites. I'm not sure if rainbird makes a larger manifold than eight ports, so you may even need three risers and a loop of some type to equalize the pressure across the system.
Lost me at two risers, I'll Google,

Next time I'm around hardware store I'll check for softer tubing.

I agree easy to disassemble and valves is smart.

Thanks tobh

What are you using the sponge filters for? To colonize healthy bacteria?

Air or water powered?
Knew they were filters of some kind just not exact and definitely not bacteria as I grew sterile.

Nor what this product is called

And not a fan of sponges for that reason lol.

It was sent to me

When I made watering rings from drip tubing and T's instead of poking holes in the hose I just cut the hose and put a T where the hole would go. I pointed the T's into the soil and let them go until I started see runoff. I pinned down the ring using large paper clips cut in half and used as tubing spikes to hold the hose down near each T drop.

Knew they were filters of some kind just not exact and definitely not bacteria as I grew sterile.

Nor what this product is called

And not a fan of sponges for that reason lol.

It was sent to me
That's what the sponge filter and ceramic balls are for, colonizing healthy bacteria that helps keep an aquarium cycle in check. Or so I thought. They will collect organic matter and will be the source of either good or bad bacteria eventually as far as I understand it, admittedly I understand very little lol

DEGGOX 20-55 Gallon Aquarium Sponge Filter with 4 Suction Cups for Fry, Bettas, Shrimps, Nanos and Other Small Fish(Air Pump Purchased Separately)(M) https://a.co/d/4H4n5kO

That's what the sponge filter and ceramic balls are for, colonizing healthy bacteria that helps keep an aquarium cycle in check. Or so I thought. They will collect organic matter and will be the source of either good or bad bacteria eventually as far as I understand it, admittedly I understand very little lol

DEGGOX 20-55 Gallon Aquarium Sponge Filter with 4 Suction Cups for Fry, Bettas, Shrimps, Nanos and Other Small Fish(Air Pump Purchased Separately)(M) https://a.co/d/4H4n5kO
makes perfect sense.

thanks for finding it, was
sent to me with a water pump and other items.

Back
Top Bottom