Stoney's Soil vs Hydro Apple Fritter Auto show

Stoneyluv

^ I break things ^
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everybody!! I'm going to give it my first attempt to getting my feet wet in RDWC. and i just gotta know for myself which is better soil or hydro. i'm normally a stick shift kind of guy but this time i'm growing automatics.

the cultivar: Apple Fritter Auto from greenpoint. two for soil and two for hydro.

the gear:
Soil - 7 gallon trade size blow molded containers filled with COM stonington mix. nutes will be GreenGro and Neptunes with a few other goodies along the way.

Hydro - a 25 gallon DIY RDWC setup with two five gallon bucket plant sites. nutes will be GH floranova one part with a few other goodies mixed with rainwater.

Light - California Light Works Solar System 550 gen2. not quite decided on the spectrum yet, leaning towards CLW's suggested but have also ran equal settings and can't decide which i like better, to be honest neither is an game changer compared to the other IMO. schedule will most likely be 20 on 4 off.

the grower: the one and only Dr. Luv with help from all of you!!

i will be sharing the grow cabinet with a mother plant i'm growing out for clones and the One Gallon Challenge plant. that will also be an apple fritter auto. the mother is a Permanent Marker.

the reason i went with autos is because i didn't want the mother plant to go into flower and i figured an auto would be good for a small container in the O-G-C. so autos it is!!!

a sneak peek pic of the setup....

013.JPG

015.JPG

seeds are currently dropped and should see some action in a couple days!

so welcome one and all to join along and take a ride on my first hydro cruise. 🌊

🙃:)🙃

Last edited:
Hey everybody!! I'm going to give it my first attempt to getting my feet wet in RDWC. and i just gotta know for myself which is better soil or hydro. i'm normally a stick shift kind of guy but this time i'm growing automatics.

the cultivar: Apple Fritter Auto from greenpoint. two for soil and two for hydro.

the gear:
Soil - 7 gallon trade size blow molded containers filled with COM stonington mix. nutes will be GreenGro and Neptunes with a few other goodies along the way.

Hydro - a 25 gallon DIY RDWC setup with two five gallon bucket plant sites. nutes will be GH floranova one part with a few other goodies mixed with rainwater.

Light - California Light Works Solar System 550 gen2. not quite decided on the spectrum yet, leaning towards CLW's suggested but have also ran equal settings and can't decide which i like better, to be honest neither is an game changer compared to the other IMO.

i will be sharing the grow cabinet with a mother plant i'm growing out for clones and the One Gallon Challenge plant. that will also be an apple fritter auto. the mother is a Permanent Marker.

the reason i went with autos is because i didn't want the mother plant to go into flower and i figured an auto would be good for a small container in the O-G-C. so autos it is!!!

View attachment 68710

View attachment 68711

so welcome one and all to join along and take a ride on my first hydro cruise. 🌊

Start with a blue leaning spectrum. Blue, white then red.

Germination
Blue light is essential during a plant's germination phase, and stronger concentrations can encourage sprouting and root development.

The addition of blue light to a light spectrum has been shown to increase the leaf area of peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce compared to plants grown under red …

More blue light will lead to shorter stems and thicker leaves. Too much far-red light or an unequal balance with the red light will result in elongated plants. A low red to far-red ratio and consequently a limited amount of red light at the beginning of the night is important for the flowering of short-day plants.

blue-heavy lights are ideal for the seedling and vegetative stages, while red-heavy lights are better for the flowering stage.

Last edited:
Start with a blue leaning spectrum. Blue, white then red.

Germination
Blue light is essential during a plant's germination phase, and stronger concentrations can encourage sprouting and root development.

The addition of blue light to a light spectrum has been shown to increase the leaf area of peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce compared to plants grown under red …

More blue light will lead to shorter stems and thicker leaves. Too much far-red light or an unequal balance with the red light will result in elongated plants. A low red to far-red ratio and consequently a limited amount of red light at the beginning of the night is important for the flowering of short-day plants.

blue-heavy lights are ideal for the seedling and vegetative stages, while red-heavy lights are better for the flowering stage.

i follow man, and this is how i've started most of my plants with this light. and i'm not debating it or dissing it in any way, but most recently i've tried the full even spectrum and i had the best start i ever had so the results have me questioning what i should do this time.

right now at it's at 10R - 15W - 30B i think

What's the rain waters numbers? Ppm and ph

the ppm is around 10 and the ph is around 5.5-6

i follow man, and this is how i've started most of my plants with this light. and i'm not debating it or dissing it in any way, but most recently i've tried the full even spectrum and i had the best start i ever had so the results have me questioning what i should do this time.

right now at it's at 10R - 15W - 30B i think

that sounds good

I have not had the clw or where I'm able to play around with spectrums like so.

full spectrum is probably better overall but it's also how you want the plant to grow, and prime them.

Last edited:
that sounds good

I have not had the clw or where I'm able to play around with spectrums like so.

full spectrum is probably better overall but it's also how you want the plant to grow, and prime them.

ya know after sleeping on it i'm not going to run the full spectrum. i am gonna go back to the way i've done it the most and that's with these setting, not the same power but the same ratio of colors..

Screenshot 2024-08-13 221550.jpg

i told you last night i was at 10-15-30 but i was wrong, i'm at 10-20-20

015.JPG

the 20% of power really isn't much electric draw at all but it still does great for my small mom.. i just got this a couple weeks ago at a festival and it was kinda small... she looks great, it's one of those "less is more" things we always talk about... seeing it first hand right now!

two weeks ago till now on just 20% light..

010-jpg.67267
026.JPG

I am in on this for sure~!

i think i know which one you want to win.... i'm gonna keep it fair and try my best on both soil and hydro. i really want this to be a success and a total tie!!!

i gotta look back on Moe's thread and see who it was and their wife that did his comparison and maybe ask them to test mine when they're done.

Hell yea dude I've wanted to do the same but I can't find the time....gonna be sweet to see

i've wanted to try this for so long now. i'm glad i have the opportunity and funds to try and pull this off. about the only other thing i'd like to upgrade is the hydro plant sites. i'd like to go to 13 gallon like everybody else but so far the cheapest i can find them delivered with lids is $27 each. not a deal breaker because i only need two of them. it's the dang shipping on them.. i put the word out to my buddies to keep their eyes open. most of them don't grow so not on their radar. when i told them 13 gal they're mouth fell open and never even knew they made square buckets that big!! haha so i have a feeling i have to buy two new ones if i want them.

the RDWC is all filled up and been circulating for 24 hrs and all is well, no leaks!! so i washed off the hydroton and put some in the netcups to get it ready. i also added these two... 12ml of each. ph is 5.0 right now, no floranova yet.

031.JPG

i can see some action from two of the seeds already and life has been started!!!! :D

thats about the pattern i was thinking, stage of growth being the variable.

ya know after sleeping on it i'm not going to run the full spectrum. i am gonna go back to the way i've done it the most and that's with these setting, not the same power but the same ratio of colors..

View attachment 68834

View attachment 68831

the 20% of power really isn't much electric draw at all but it still does great for my small mom.. i just got this a couple weeks ago at a festival and it was kinda small... she looks great, it's one of those "less is more" things we always talk about... seeing it first hand right now!

stage of growth being the variable.

exactly, and these being autos i will be relying on my eyes more than anything. not used to the timing of them so i'll adjust by eye.

my plan is seedling ratio until i see the first five bladed and woody stem, this will trigger me to switch to veg spec. then at very first sight of pistils (about just two-three weeks with autos) i will switch to pre flower for a week or two then on to flower spectrum for about six weeks then the finisher. and i plan to follow suit with the nutrients along those stages at the same time i change light specs.

View attachment 68834

View attachment 68831

two weeks ago till now on just 20% light..

010-jpg.67267
View attachment 68832

i think i know which one you want to win.... i'm gonna keep it fair and try my best on both soil and hydro. i really want this to be a success and a total tie!!!

i gotta look back on Moe's thread and see who it was and their wife that did his comparison and maybe ask them to test mine when they're done.

i've wanted to try this for so long now. i'm glad i have the opportunity and funds to try and pull this off. about the only other thing i'd like to upgrade is the hydro plant sites. i'd like to go to 13 gallon like everybody else but so far the cheapest i can find them delivered with lids is $27 each. not a deal breaker because i only need two of them. it's the dang shipping on them.. i put the word out to my buddies to keep their eyes open. most of them don't grow so not on their radar. when i told them 13 gal they're mouth fell open and never even knew they made square buckets that big!! haha so i have a feeling i have to buy two new ones if i want them.

the RDWC is all filled up and been circulating for 24 hrs and all is well, no leaks!! so i washed off the hydroton and put some in the netcups to get it ready. i also added these two... 12ml of each. ph is 5.0 right now, no floranova yet.

View attachment 68833

i can see some action from two of the seeds already and life has been started!!!! :D
Hit up Tony's used grow equipment I think it's in OKC but they'll ship they prolly got it for a deal

You need to add calmag
i put on better air stones and wow what a huge difference. this is what i expected it to be like, much better than before!

nutrients are in at 0.4 EC at 200 PPM and ph of 5.5.... I am ready baby!!!!!! :D
In my flower roomm i have one 2x2 cylindrical air stone in sites #1 #3 and #4. In site #2 i have a 2x4 air stone. I don't have waterfall just use air stones.

In my last 4 grows i have seen no measurable advantage with the bigger stone

exactly, and these being autos i will be relying on my eyes more than anything. not used to the timing of them so i'll adjust by eye.

my plan is seedling ratio until i see the first five bladed and woody stem, this will trigger me to switch to veg spec. then at very first sight of pistils (about just two-three weeks with autos) i will switch to pre flower for a week or two then on to flower spectrum for about six weeks then the finisher. and i plan to follow suit with the nutrients along those stages at the same time i change light specs.
I’m going to keep an eye on this one. The only thing that could make the outcome skewed is the fact you are doing autos when I have seen such varied outcomes between identical seeds.

Hit up Tony's used grow equipment I think it's in OKC but they'll ship they prolly got it for a deal

awesome, thanks for the tip man!! i'll check it out!

You need to add calmag

In my flower roomm i have one 2x2 cylindrical air stone in sites #1 #3 and #4. In site #2 i have a 2x4 air stone. I don't have waterfall just use air stones.

In my last 4 grows i have seen no measurable advantage with the bigger stone

you're now the second expert today to tell me to add some cal/mag. i will add a little today, just a 1/4 dose on the light side. i am very nervous about it because a few years ago i tried it on seedlings and killed them! i'm not saying i did it correct back then but i'm just saying i'm nervous is all.

wow i didn't realize you guys used stones that big. i use two of those 2x4 cylindrical in my pond and it throws some serious bubbles.

i used two inch round ones and before that i had much smaller ones, i didn't realize i needed such a size for just a bucket but i see the difference now first hand.

i have extra tap offs for my air so i think i'll put one in the rez as well.

I’m going to keep an eye on this one. The only thing that could make the outcome skewed is the fact you are doing autos when I have seen such varied outcomes between identical seeds.

great to have ya Granny!! i agree the autos are gonna be a variable for me and also the hydro a bit too just because i have no experience.

the seeds are greenpoint and they haven't been making autos all that long but i'm pretty familiar with their regs and fems so i'm hoping the autos are similar.

i will grow all seven seeds out though, four in this deal and one in the one gallon challenge and the other two will go outside in my polytunnel now that the heat is gone from summer i think they'll do well in there. i have the containers and soil all ready to go out there just need to fill these two seven gallon pots inside. i'm going to add some crab shell to the stonington mix and that's it nothing else but teas along the way.

cool beans man!!!!!!! speaking of which, where has @Cool_Beans been? he's such a cool dude, i miss him!!

the gear:

Light - California Light Works Solar System 550 gen2. not quite decided on the spectrum yet, leaning towards CLW's suggested but have also ran equal settings and can't decide which i like better, to be honest neither is an game changer compared to the other IMO. schedule will most likely be 20 on 4 off.

View attachment 68710

View attachment 68711

This is gonna be like Larson doing mid week racing then Cup on Sundays!!!
BTW IDK if you saw last week but your boy blasted some dude on Twitter over the sprint car racing. Some guy called into NASCAR radio and claimed he's rich and can afford all the best stuff for his sprint car. Larson came back with video of his crew chief dumpster diving for parts and showed how his last three wins were on somebody else's used tires 🤣

Hey you know what else??.. 'Nova works outstanding in soil too

mind-blown-shocked.gif

So like if you wanted, you could run the same nutes, different ratios of course, for each method with the only real variable being soil vs hydro. Just sayin' 😎

Curious about those GPS autos to see how they do for you so I'm tuned in for the show buddy!
Best of luck on this venture!!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

This is gonna be like Larson doing mid week racing then Cup on Sundays!!!
BTW IDK if you saw last week but your boy blasted some dude on Twitter over the sprint car racing. Some guy called into NASCAR radio and claimed he's rich and can afford all the best stuff for his sprint car. Larson came back with video of his crew chief dumpster diving for parts and showed how his last three wins were on somebody else's used tires 🤣

Hey you know what else??.. 'Nova works outstanding in soil too

View attachment 68888

So like if you wanted, you could run the same nutes, different ratios of course, for each method with the only real variable being soil vs hydro. Just sayin' 😎

Curious about those GPS autos to see how they do for you so I'm tuned in for the show buddy!
Best of luck on this venture!!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

thanks brother!!!!!!!!!! i'm excited for sure!!!!

i'm really curios about the autos too man, they haven't been making them for long. hey i don't know if you heard but a birdie told me that Gu and dude are back working together!!!! drug everybody into that drama for nothing!!!! i bet he still didn't get paid!! :ROFLMAO: so not sure how much different the new florida gear will be. 🤷‍♂️

yea i saw the nova was good for all styles. it's a bit pricey but i know it gets way cheaper bought in bulk. i forgot to look at GGMi, they might have better deals. i was quite surprised at the "non-smell" that it has. after dealing with all organics for long you get used to that smell. i noticed when it wasn't there. i think only an organic grower would open a bottle of nutes and smell it!!:LOL::LOL: but man it's hard to beat GreenGro nutes for soil with the price and the results.

i liked your larson analogy of my grows, the cup team just got some nice compost tea!!! the sprint car team got some cal/mag!! :D

and no man i didn't see that about larson at all, i just gotta go lookin for that!! i love when he cocky.. he's so small and talks shit!!!! :LOL::LOL: i think his brother in law brad sweet brings out that in him. but man that dude must be pretty good if he won races on other teams used tires!!!!! or maybe it's that they suck that bad at siping tires that they have to let other teams do it for them!!!:ROFLMAO:

but yea man, seeds are poppin...

013.JPG

10/4 rubber ducky!!!!!!! :D

010.JPG

check it out @Observer , i got a box of "down there care" for my probes.

20240815.JPG

i also scored a new bluelab ph pen on ebay for $70...

Screenshot 2024-08-14 041655.jpg

i added 12ml of Cal/mag tonight and now the solution is 250ppm and 5.8ph.

i'm really curios about the autos too man, they haven't been making them for long. hey i don't know if you heard but a birdie told me that Gu and dude are back working together!!!! drug everybody into that drama for nothing!!!! i bet he still didn't get paid!! :ROFLMAO: so not sure how much different the new florida gear will be. 🤷‍♂️

yea i saw the nova was good for all styles. it's a bit pricey but i know it gets way cheaper bought in bulk. i forgot to look at GGMi, they might have better deals. i was quite surprised at the "non-smell" that it has. after dealing with all organics for long you get used to that smell. i noticed when it wasn't there. i think only an organic grower would open a bottle of nutes and smell it!!:LOL::LOL: but man it's hard to beat GreenGro nutes for soil with the price and the results.

i liked your larson analogy of my grows, the cup team just got some nice compost tea!!! the sprint car team got some cal/mag!! :D

and no man i didn't see that about larson at all, i just gotta go lookin for that!! i love when he cocky.. he's so small and talks shit!!!! :LOL::LOL: i think his brother in law brad sweet brings out that in him. but man that dude must be pretty good if he won races on other teams used tires!!!!! or maybe it's that they suck that bad at siping tires that they have to let other teams do it for them!!!:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 68979

View attachment 68978

View attachment 68980

View attachment 68981

Hell yeah just calibrate and test it along side test strips if you have to verify

Nice! Should last years if you take care of the tip/probe

@smoke , i found this interesting when looking at air stones tonight.

these bigger 4x2 ones ate the exact ones i use in my koi pond, they have a flow rate of 2.5l/min

71yDNmlgEHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and then here are the little round ones i just got for my rdwc, flow rate of 5l/min. less than half the size and twice as much air!!!!!

81kEZ3QT44L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i never noticed this rating or specification on air stones before and wasn't sure if you have... something i will pay attention to from now on.

@smoke , i found this interesting when looking at air stones tonight.

these bigger 4x2 ones ate the exact ones i use in my koi pond, they have a flow rate of 2.5l/min

71yDNmlgEHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and then here are the little round ones i just got for my rdwc, flow rate of 5l/min. less than half the size and twice as much air!!!!!

81kEZ3QT44L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i never noticed this rating or specification on air stones before and wasn't sure if you have... something i will pay attention to from now on.

Less is more?

I have an Apera ph60. It's very similar to the bluelab pen.
GMO sent it to me for free, cause he's a nice dude like that and said he had 5🤣🤣
View attachment 69030
I rock the same ph probe and love it. If you can keep it clean and calibrated, then you should be str8. Mine has lasted at the very least 3 years running everyday, but it believe may be closer to 4 years now. Best part to me is that instead of having to buy a replacement meter, you can get just a new probe from apera for about 30 bucks. Honestly, I've been impressed with its longevity and how its stayed so dependable and accurate for that long, especially with the price point that they run brand new.

I have an Apera ph60. It's very similar to the bluelab pen.
GMO sent it to me for free, cause he's a nice dude like that and said he had 5🤣🤣
View attachment 69030

i really wish i had something reliable right now because i have one meter, two dropper style, and a dip strip and all four say a different number. i really have no idea what my ph is ATM.

Marking my spot so I can come back and read the whole thread. Glad to have you on the dark side man.

well damn Moe, you better come back before it's over... i don't want it to be that short lived of a journal, i'm hoping it goes at least 3-4 months!!!! :LOL:

so i never put a level tube on my setup to accurately see the level of my rez, this is where ducky comes in. when his beak reaches the lid the water is at perfect running level, when his head floats under the lid it's time for a top off!!! KISS

20240816.JPG

bet you guys never saw that on one of those expensive hydro setups!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 68979

View attachment 68978

View attachment 68980

View attachment 68981

Doubt you'll find a better deal than free along with bonus goodies from the nutrition center:ROFLMAO:

IMG_0683[1].jpeg

I just keep on finding stuff to pack in your box and now I need a bigger box. 🙃I think maybe Wednesday I can ship it out.
I have extra airstone discs too if you need those. They're the 4" diameter and about 1/2" thick with plastic base and suction cups.
The 'Nova is new and unopened, just an extra from Project 421.
And a lil tip for ya...Whenever Amazon has a sale be it prime day, black friday etc, all GH stuff goes on sale. I looked at my order history and this quart bottle was only $20 and I think it's usually around $30.
Only bad thing is it stains everything. Roots, plastic, air stones all get turned brown using it. Does smell good though

i really wish i had something reliable right now because i have one meter, two dropper style, and a dip strip and all four say a different number. i really have no idea what my ph is ATM.

well damn Moe, you better come back before it's over... i don't want it to be that short lived of a journal, i'm hoping it goes at least 3-4 months!!!! :LOL:

so i never put a level tube on my setup to accurately see the level of my rez, this is where ducky comes in. when his beak reaches the lid the water is at perfect running level, when his head floats under the lid it's time for a top off!!! KISS

View attachment 69088

bet you guys never saw that on one of those expensive hydro setups!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've rarely had any meter agree with another. pH, co2, temp, RH...All of mine tell me something different. I just end up picking the one that doesn't make me want to shoot it or set it fire tofu cookbook style and roll with it 😋

That's about as technical as it gets. Genius.

i was thinking maybe a boat or submarine, but nope got me a ducky!! :LOL: .. maybe i should have gotten a toy aquaman!!! :D shhh.. don't tell him i said that.. he'll stop helping with my nutrient solution!! AM has been a great help with getting my ingredients sorted and dosages and tons of great info on how to learn it going forward myself the right way. i have zero hydro habits right now so if i never pick up any bad habits i'll only know the correct way! the easy part on me is most of you helping me all seem to agree on most things, of coarse not every single thing but shit who does with anything!

i feel as prepared as i possible can be at this point and just can't wait for their heads to pop up!! i haven't looked yet today soooo...

Doubt you'll find a better deal than free along with bonus goodies from the nutrition center:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 69090

I just keep on finding stuff to pack in your box and now I need a bigger box. 🙃I think maybe Wednesday I can ship it out.
I have extra airstone discs too if you need those. They're the 4" diameter and about 1/2" thick with plastic base and suction cups.
The 'Nova is new and unopened, just an extra from Project 421.
And a lil tip for ya...Whenever Amazon has a sale be it prime day, black friday etc, all GH stuff goes on sale. I looked at my order history and this quart bottle was only $20 and I think it's usually around $30.
Only bad thing is it stains everything. Roots, plastic, air stones all get turned brown using it. Does smell good though

I've rarely had any meter agree with another. pH, co2, temp, RH...All of mine tell me something different. I just end up picking the one that doesn't make me want to shoot it or set it fire tofu cookbook style and roll with it 😋

Oh man that is a collection of all kinds of awesome hydration, for me and plants!!! you got my tail wagging for sure my man!!

i don't need any of those 4" inch air stones though, i have a few here.. one even has a ring of led's around it!!!! :ROFLMAO:

that is a good tip man, it's every bit of $30 w/tax. might be yet another thing i add to the prime sale list!! batteries, band-aids, and floranova!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ya know when i first opened the bottle i spilled a little on the floor, i went oooo don't get this on your clothes!!!! i already have tiny dots sprayed on the lid already.. sloppy sloppy!! it's weird though once it's mixed with water it makes the water look like mud, then a little while longer it lightens up and looks lighter than iced tea right now. in the ducky pic you can even see the pvc pipe through it, and my pipes are grey not white. all i had on hand was pvc conduit. same material and dimension only it's made to be light proof. thats what it says on the side of the pipe anyway 🤷‍♂️ i'm no expert on pvc.

ya know i've had this cheapo ph pen for so many years now and i feel it's reliable. i got that probe kit and calibrated it with the two solutions, it's manual with a screw. and it was off by only 0.4!! i swear the drop solution i got with the GH up/down is what's throwing me off so bad. my dip strips are kinda close, it's hard to tell with those sometimes. and to be honest my strips are from when i worked in the semi conductor mfg stuff like 20 years old now i bet but they seem to be accurate with the pen and calibrating solutions. i have another set of solution test from a master pond tester but it is for a very broad test and only has five colors on it.

you're right i need to just pick the pen i trust and roll with it. it's why i bought a good one, i figured it was more important to know my ph more accurately than my nutrient level at this point. plus i was very surprised with my tds meters when i put in the solution, both were spot on and never needed any calibration. plus there are so many variable that will determine my nutrient needs that the number will probably just be a number for me not others. but PH is ph so i want to know as accurate as i can.

speaking of the tofu torching, i wish Anthem was still around to see this.. he and i discussed me trying a dwc setup and it would be cool for him to see. i know he would have done everything he could to make sure the hydro plants lapped the soil ones, he was competitive thats for sure!!

ya know i've shot up and set fire to plants that pissed me off, how come i never thought of an electronic meter??? great idea man!!!
i never did et to break this bad boy in yet...
014.JPG

we got this oldie but goodie..
ya know, when you get that male plant and it really pissed ya off....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom