The Buggy Thread

Now I haven't been to this place in 30 years (lived in Jonesboro and worked at the 3rd Home Depot store) but it was severe and awesome BBQ -- smoke flavor city....

The Flying Pig Bar-B-Q | restaurant, barbecue area​

USA / Georgia / Hapeville / Virginia Avenue, 856

restaurant, barbecue area

856 Virginia Ave
Hapeville, GA 30354
404-559-1000

Nearby cities:
Coordinates:
33°39'30"N 84°25'1"W
Add your comment in english

i gave a couple plants to a friend a few weeks ago and he planted them outside and tonight i was there and we were looking at them and i noticed the one had a couple dozen young lantern flies marching up and down the main stalk almost like they were patrolling. i didn't notice any destruction or anything bad.

does anyone know if lantern flies hurt or help ganja plants?

ok so for me i only been growing for 3 years and i have only had to deal with fungus gnats thats inside outside it like what it would be where u are leaf hopper grasshoppers etc , i i tried growing weed 1 time outside 3 years ago all my plants got white mildew and u could see where something would chew on the leaves
Yeah man outdoor growing is a whole different world. Not growing any ganja outdoors yet (especially not here in VA cuz its humid af), but i do have a veggie garden and the pests are something else. Got some squash bugs on my zuchinni and they are a fkn menace. Also had one of my eggplants get rocked by something eating it. Def gonna have to figure out some beneficials to out in my garden next season.
That being said, i an gonna pop some Dragonsflame Genetics seeds and all his strains I think are mold and mildew resistant. So if i pkant outside...will be dragsonsflame!

Yeah man outdoor growing is a whole different world. Not growing any ganja outdoors yet (especially not here in VA cuz its humid af), but i do have a veggie garden and the pests are something else. Got some squash bugs on my zuchinni and they are a fkn menace. Also had one of my eggplants get rocked by something eating it. Def gonna have to figure out some beneficials to out in my garden next season.
That being said, i an gonna pop some Dragonsflame Genetics seeds and all his strains I think are mold and mildew resistant. So if i pkant outside...will be dragsonsflame!
100% agree it is super difficult to grow outdoors in high humidity and here the bugs are many and wicked. Outside in a proper netted setting with tons of ventilation, that might work. Autoflowers in winter can work here, but you would have to use pesticides and mega traps. This is the time of grow where every morning dawns new sites activating and smells cascading, sticky looking at icky. Now that I've ranted about things I sure feel better my growmie Zombie.

That being said, i a gonna pop some Dragonsflame Genetics seeds and all his strains I think are mold and mildew resistant. So if i pkant outside...will be dragsonsflame!
I had some success with Dfg beans in Florida outside ! So they are tough !

If you have fungus gnats use this. One or two treatments to the soil and you’ll never have gnats again. It’s OMRI listed organic, Bacillus bacteria that kills fungus. It’s freakin awesome?

https://generalhydroponics.com/products/defguard/

I am now dealing with Hemp Russet Mites which are like The clap for plants. I’ll take any info on how to I’ll them.

i gave a couple plants to a friend a few weeks ago and he planted them outside and tonight i was there and we were looking at them and i noticed the one had a couple dozen young lantern flies marching up and down the main stalk almost like they were patrolling. i didn't notice any destruction or anything bad.

does anyone know if lantern flies hurt or help ganja plants?
Found this post when searching lantern flies

My buddy just called to tell me lantern flies are eating his outdoor plants bad....

How did yours fare? My buddy wishes he would have sprayed while they were in veg.
I wish I had some advice for him but I don't, did you use anything on them?

fuck man. i've got a serious pest issue in the form of deer. like hell if i'm putting any cannabis outdoors here with those assholes roaming around. gotta figure out how to keep em out, soon. plan is to turn a couple acres into farm land, and i won't have shit to sell if the deer eat all my income lol

Found this post when searching lantern flies

My buddy just called to tell me lantern flies are eating his outdoor plants bad....

How did yours fare? My buddy wishes he would have sprayed while they were in veg.
I wish I had some advice for him but I don't, did you use anything on them?

that plant died for my buddy... i was there this past saturday and the one that had the flies was dead, not sure if that's what did it or not but the two plants were only 15 or 20 feet apart and one had flies and the other didn't. the one without flies is still alive and budding.

no, he didn't use anything on them or try to stop them. he's a mechanic not a gardener.. :LOL: but i'm not really sure what happened with the plant.

i'd try to put lantern fly traps around the plants maybe. these seem to be marching or patrolling the main stem, they weren't out on the branches or leaves so maybe a sticky based trap at the base of the stem. i know lantern fly's fly but they like to crawl and hop more from what i seen.

fuck man. i've got a serious pest issue in the form of deer. like hell if i'm putting any cannabis outdoors here with those assholes roaming around. gotta figure out how to keep em out, soon. plan is to turn a couple acres into farm land, and i won't have shit to sell if the deer eat all my income lol
Coyote urine 👊🏼

give them something better to eat than your plants... you only have to keep them away while your plants are young. once they get a couple feet tall they shouldn't bother with them much. unless there's nothing else around. that where corn feeders come in handy!!!

give them something better to eat than your plants... you only have to keep them away while your plants are young. once they get a couple feet tall they shouldn't bother with them much. unless there's nothing else around. that where corn feeders come in handy!!!
damn, wish I'd known that when we moved to this spot in june. they ate all of my herb sprouts, bean sprouts, sunflowers... maybe i'll grow them some stuff along their game trails that they love, and keep the human goodies in more open areas.

i plan on growing some hops too (figuring a half acre, or so -- perimeter plant for summer privacy + beer) and I was reading they'll eat those if nothing else is left. I've noticed they don't touch the blackberry brambles at all, but love roses, which I also want to grow, but won't if the assholes are just gonna eat my blooms. i treat my roses better than my cannabis lol

damn, wish I'd known that when we moved to this spot in june. they ate all of my herb sprouts, bean sprouts, sunflowers... maybe i'll grow them some stuff along their game trails that they love, and keep the human goodies in more open areas.

i plan on growing some hops too (figuring a half acre, or so -- perimeter plant for summer privacy + beer) and I was reading they'll eat those if nothing else is left. I've noticed they don't touch the blackberry brambles at all, but love roses, which I also want to grow, but won't if the assholes are just gonna eat my blooms. i treat my roses better than my cannabis lol

oh man, they tear my roses up more than anything else! especially in the winter. if you get snow where you're at you'll see their tracks come from a half mile away right for the rose bushes!! sometimes on the early snows the roses are the only green thing still exposed.

but the deer haven't bothered my ganja in many years now... my peach trees, that's a different story... peach stealing bastards!!! hahaha

oh man, they tear my roses up more than anything else! especially in the winter. if you get snow where you're at you'll see their tracks come from a half mile away right for the rose bushes!! sometimes on the early snows the roses are the only green thing still exposed.

but the deer haven't bothered my ganja in many years now... my peach trees, that's a different story... peach stealing bastards!!! hahaha
so they're as much a nuisance in your area as they are in mine!! everywhere around here sells some kind of deer deterrent, and almost everyone agrees, none of it works. the only real deterrent is like 12' fences but aside from cost county code won't allow fences so high to be built.

not sure what kind of snow we get here yet, moved up here in June, but with where we're located I fully anticipate something more significant than what we would get down around Portland. Down there we averaged one bad storm a year, up here I think we're likely to see not really as bad of a storm but once snow comes down, it will stay.

just wish the bear that are around here would do their damn jobs and keep the deer in check. instead they seem to behave more like big, timid dogs.

Why the roses?

so they're as much a nuisance in your area as they are in mine!! everywhere around here sells some kind of deer deterrent, and almost everyone agrees, none of it works. the only real deterrent is like 12' fences but aside from cost county code won't allow fences so high to be built.

not sure what kind of snow we get here yet, moved up here in June, but with where we're located I fully anticipate something more significant than what we would get down around Portland. Down there we averaged one bad storm a year, up here I think we're likely to see not really as bad of a storm but once snow comes down, it will stay.

just wish the bear that are around here would do their damn jobs and keep the deer in check. instead they seem to behave more like big, timid dogs.

it sounds like you're going to get along with nature just fine!!!

if it's one thing i learned being a country boy is wild animals act pretty much the same as tame animals in the sense that it's way easier to coax them with food than chase them away. I've tried it all too.. hair, urine, plants they hate, lights, scarecrows... you name it.. the best way is to watch what they like to eat and grow that on the edges and trails you want them on. the deer around here love grazing on clover so i grew clover on wide trails that open up to my neighbors big field of clover... easy to deal with when they're not my problem anymore!! hehe

we have bear too but their biggest threat here are humans, we keep tearing the forests down for buildings and they got nowhere to go so populations can get dense quick in wooded areas.

i feed em and love em... they make me feel good and happy when i watch them in the yard everyday so i embrace it and just shake my head when they eat all my day lilies in one night!!!

Why the roses?

because in the winter when it first snows the rose bushes are the only plant with green leaves and tall enough to be exposed from the snow... everything will be all white and roses stick out like a green thumb!!! haha

they come far for my azalea bush but they don't like the taste of it but they still eat it if there is nothing else.

it sounds like you're going to get along with nature just fine!!!

if it's one thing i learned being a country boy is wild animals act pretty much the same as tame animals in the sense that it's way easier to coax them with food than chase them away. I've tried it all too.. hair, urine, plants they hate, lights, scarecrows... you name it.. the best way is to watch what they like to eat and grow that on the edges and trails you want them on. the deer around here love grazing on clover so i grew clover on wide trails that open up to my neighbors big field of clover... easy to deal with when they're not my problem anymore!! hehe

we have bear too but their biggest threat here are humans, we keep tearing the forests down for buildings and they got nowhere to go so populations can get dense quick in wooded areas.

i feed em and love em... they make me feel good and happy when i watch them in the yard everyday so i embrace it and just shake my head when they eat all my day lilies in one night!!!
i grew up on a 300 acre ranch, raised horses and cattle. but that was in rural NM. up here is a different kind of country, but the same rules apply, kinda. down there we had to learn to use guns early on to deal with coyotes, wolves, and snakes. the rare merciful killing of a horse. up here, things are gentler, in a sense. maybe i'm naive and don't realize the full dangers yet, but the fact i don't have scorpions, centipedes, black widows, or rattle snakes trying to kill me daily, it seems tame.

there is a cougar wandering the region according to the neighbor, and i hope to not see it. would i like to? sure, would be cool to see such a majestic creature. but if i'm seeing it while out doing something on the land, that means trouble and likely not enough time to respond.

but the goddamn deer. they're so pretty and i don't want to scare em off. i think i'll take a page from your book and flood their game trails with clover and run em over next door, around where i have my orchard planned and away from the first two terrace plots for leafy greens and fruit bearing vegetable plants.

i grew up on a 300 acre ranch, raised horses and cattle. but that was in rural NM. up here is a different kind of country, but the same rules apply, kinda. down there we had to learn to use guns early on to deal with coyotes, wolves, and snakes. the rare merciful killing of a horse. up here, things are gentler, in a sense. maybe i'm naive and don't realize the full dangers yet, but the fact i don't have scorpions, centipedes, black widows, or rattle snakes trying to kill me daily, it seems tame.

there is a cougar wandering the region according to the neighbor, and i hope to not see it. would i like to? sure, would be cool to see such a majestic creature. but if i'm seeing it while out doing something on the land, that means trouble and likely not enough time to respond.

but the goddamn deer. they're so pretty and i don't want to scare em off. i think i'll take a page from your book and flood their game trails with clover and run em over next door, around where i have my orchard planned and away from the first two terrace plots for leafy greens and fruit bearing vegetable plants.
By the time youre aware of its presence, it's already been tracking you for awhile.

Animal senses are insane compared to ours, we don't rely as heavily on them nor use them in a survival context 24/7.
correct. humans are inherently very visual, that's part of why our orbital nerve is so massive, and our front cortex is so quick with decision making and emotional regulation. however, i don't know about y'all but my sense of smell is garbage, and i swear i lose hearing every day. tactile? shit, that's good for knowing i'm getting eaten by the deer that i just tried to keep from eating the plants i want to keep lol

big cats can be scary.. we've had a few here and there, they stay hidden for the most part. we have bobcat though!! my neighbor is always sending me game cam shots of bobcat. i have yet to see one live but the photos don't lie!! i know they want my chickens!!!!!

i wouldn't do well with rattle snakes or scorpions or any of that stuff either!!! we get timber rattlers once in a while but they're kinda tame compared to other kinds of rattler's.

deer kinda make great watchdogs in the woods... when i'm sneaking around in the forest and i spook a deer i know at least there is no bear in the area!!! ha!!

but i got one little rose climber that i've been trying to grow up my trellis for a couple years now. the first night it was in the ground they ate most of it. then i put a small fence around it and they left it alone but weeds and stuff grew in the fence and chocked it off.. then this spring i pulled the fence away and there was a nice tree foot plant and a two foot starter. so i cleaned it all up, i should have fed it.. but a couple month's ago a deer got the top six inches. i need to put the fence back again!!

just steer em where you want them to go and you'll find you can train and even corral deer to go the way you want kind of like horses and cattle.. they just jump a lot higher!!! haha

that plant died for my buddy... i was there this past saturday and the one that had the flies was dead, not sure if that's what did it or not but the two plants were only 15 or 20 feet apart and one had flies and the other didn't. the one without flies is still alive and budding.

no, he didn't use anything on them or try to stop them. he's a mechanic not a gardener.. :LOL: but i'm not really sure what happened with the plant.

i'd try to put lantern fly traps around the plants maybe. these seem to be marching or patrolling the main stem, they weren't out on the branches or leaves so maybe a sticky based trap at the base of the stem. i know lantern fly's fly but they like to crawl and hop more from what i seen.
Yeah sounds like your friend's plant had the same fate as my friend's. He just lost one completely he said and they are moving to the other plants now. I will tell to him try some sticky traps and bags, not sure if already has or not.

Don’t worry, rabbits and asshole squirrels will get them long before the deer. 😝

Back
Top Bottom