The Buggy Thread

Ah Pyrethrin, dont think I have anything with that in it currently. I read it can be pretty harsh and potentially toxic to humans, or am I just high and confused? lol
Its nothing i would use in flower, but pyrethrin comes from the Chrysanthemum flower and is actually low in toxicity to people/mammals. At least thats what ive read and been told.

Christones basically BB on steroids......

There was a band from Austin that made some noise when I was in the L.A. scene. They were called Junkyard. Some of the members were friends with Stevie. They helped bring a guy named Charlie Sexton to L.A. to try and get him a record deal. He was a protege of Stevies.

My blues influences go back to the beginning. Sister Rosetta Tharp, Muddy Watters, Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc.

Currently these are what I use.

87FF4CF3-A6DE-44B1-9B96-A9091DFD809F.jpeg

JIC I want some yellow stickies and yellow cups and sticky stuff. 🤣

And sulphur & DE. Ran out last year against carpenter ants.

Oh, wasp lantern for garden area.

There was a band from Austin that made some noise when I was in the L.A. scene. They were called Junkyard. Some of the members were friends with Stevie. They helped bring a guy named Charlie Sexton to L.A. to try and get him a record deal. He was a protege of Stevies.

My blues influences go back to the beginning. Sister Rosetta Tharp, Muddy Watters, Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc.
what no howlin wolf ?

I always seem to find a gnat or two my last runs, but they never get too bad since I blast em with wind and, now, Dr Zymes etc. Do you spray anything for IPM?
Just ordered some of that tanglefoot and will post my DIY creation here. Thanks for the advice man, those sticky traps do get expensive. Also will be cool to customize a trap on anything really. I dont have a 3d printer so Im thinking a few of those ultra cheap plastic yellow cutting boards will make a good reuseable trap surface.
I stay away from using any pesticides but since I mono crop and have a pause between each grow to clean, I clean with orange oil. That stuff kills and repels bugs so they tend to not want to enter my room.

Last year I got spider mites I suspect thru the unfiltered fresh air intake during the Summer. It wasn't too bad of an infestation but I was also trying out using UV when it happened and noticed the mites wanted nothing to do with the plants under UV.
So while my opinion of UV increasing potency still wavers, I'd use it to kill an infestation or at least slow it to a crawl.

Here's some other fun fact info regarding mites and tanglefoot I've stumbled on...
Mites will only inhabit a living plant. When you chop the plant or it dies the mites sound the alarm and evacuate the plant. They will migrate to the upper most part of the plant, huddle up, and prepare for flight to the next living plant.

Growers can take total advantage and take them out using their natural instincts.

With the plant hanging upside down they will all move to the stalk. If you coat the stalk with tanglefoot, they will crawl into it and commit suicide.

Same with removing infested plant material. If you put all the mite infested leaves in a bucket and smear the inside rim of the bucket with tangelfoot, all the mites will crawl up to the rim of the bucket to escape but will commit suicide in the tanglefoot trying to get to the top edge of the rim.
It's after the fact but is about as good of way as any to prevent the next crop from being infested without using pesticides

Just got some of this, what is y’all’s preferred way to apply it? The powder is super fine….
F7423B91-1800-4960-8609-69FD5082E4AF.jpegIf you just dust the dirt do you apply more after you water? Or…..?

I read that its low toxicity but like neem oil, but it can cause some unpleasant side effects if you breathe it in. I know...cdc....but they maybe get some stuff right...sometimes lol

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/TSP/ToxFAQs/ToxFAQsDetails.aspx?faqid=786&toxid=153#:~:text=Pyrethrins and pyrethroids interfere with,convulsions and loss of consciousness.
Oh im sure it can cause some kind of issue, but i never use it after i change to 12/12. Ive only ever sprayed once in flower and it was dr zymes, ill never use it again. The entire crop tasted like bubble soap....

Fricken notorious BIG has reincarnated into a blues singer/player lol. Nice

Oh im sure it can cause some kind of issue, but i never use it after i change to 12/12. Ive only ever sprayed once in flower and it was dr zymes, ill never use it again. The entire crop tasted like bubble soap....
Damn, funny how they say "you can spray this till harvest!"...yeah right buddy lol

I stay away from using any pesticides but since I mono crop and have a pause between each grow to clean, I clean with orange oil. That stuff kills and repels bugs so they tend to not want to enter my room.

Last year I got spider mites I suspect thru the unfiltered fresh air intake during the Summer. It wasn't too bad of an infestation but I was also trying out using UV when it happened and noticed the mites wanted nothing to do with the plants under UV.
So while my opinion of UV increasing potency still wavers, I'd use it to kill an infestation or at least slow it to a crawl.

Here's some other fun fact info regarding mites and tanglefoot I've stumbled on...
Mites will only inhabit a living plant. When you chop the plant or it dies the mites sound the alarm and evacuate the plant. They will migrate to the upper most part of the plant, huddle up, and prepare for flight to the next living plant.

Growers can take total advantage and take them out using their natural instincts.

With the plant hanging upside down they will all move to the stalk. If you coat the stalk with tanglefoot, they will crawl into it and commit suicide.

Same with removing infested plant material. If you put all the mite infested leaves in a bucket and smear the inside rim of the bucket with tangelfoot, all the mites will crawl up to the rim of the bucket to escape but will commit suicide in the tanglefoot trying to get to the top edge of the rim.
It's after the fact but is about as good of way as any to prevent the next crop from being infested without using pesticides
Damn, several awesome tips there thanks a ton. Im paranoid about mites so should I ever suspect any I will try a combo of UV light and "using my brain" and tricking them into offing themselves.

Im planning on moving my grow into the garage after this run, so would you recommend I clean all the surfaces of the garage with orange oil and let it sit for a few weeks to make sure no mites are there? Also, do mites hang around if there is no plant material to eat?

I have some Nukem spray that I was gonna use to clean the garage with. I was thinking maybe use the nukem on all surfaces, let it dry couple days, then hit it with the orange oil. I take it the plants dont mind the orange oil?
Hells yeah bro thanks again for the advice.

I believed it at first, it didnt bother the plants at all, but the bud tasted just like the spray smells. And it smells like straight bubble soap lmao.
Yeah I used some DrZymes to get rid of some fungus gnats. Worked really well but it does smell like straight up bubble soap, not a flavor I wanna smoke haha. Maybe you could do a bud-wash post harvest to get rid of sprays, if you use them.

Yeah I used some DrZymes to get rid of some fungus gnats. Worked really well but it does smell like straight up bubble soap, not a flavor I wanna smoke haha. Maybe you could do a bud-wash post harvest to get rid of sprays, if you use them.
It was a last ditch effort to finish a crop that caught mildew 2 weeks from finish, i smoked probably 4 or 5 grams and threw the rest of it in my hash bag.. 6 plants, at 4 to 5 ozs a plant.

Now if i get mildew or bugs in flower, i wouldnt do anything but get out the clippers and trash bags.
It sucks, but its easier and quicker to just start over than try to fight it til the end.

I need to look into budwashing, ive got some plants outside again this year and one is already set to be massive, and id like to smoke my outdoor this year if its good, instead of selling/gifting it all.

It was a last ditch effort to finish a crop that caught mildew 2 weeks from finish, i smoked probably 4 or 5 grams and threw the rest of it in my hash bag.. 6 plants, at 4 to 5 ozs a plant.

Now if i get mildew or bugs in flower, i wouldnt do anything but get out the clippers and trash bags.
It sucks, but its easier and quicker to just start over than try to fight it til the end.

I need to look into budwashing, ive got some plants outside again this year and one is already set to be massive, and id like to smoke my outdoor this year if its good, instead of selling/gifting it all.
I think @TSD washes her bud after harvesting? I might be mistaken though cuz I remember her mentioning it on the farm a while back. Sounds crazy that you'd wash bud in water but evidently some people swear by it.
What you growing outdoors this year? I dont have the cojones to plant outdoors yet, not in this Appalachian jungle we live next to lol.

I think @TSD washes her bud after harvesting? I might be mistaken though cuz I remember her mentioning it on the farm a while back. Sounds crazy that you'd wash bud in water but evidently some people swear by it.
What you growing outdoors this year? I dont have the cojones to plant outdoors yet, not in this Appalachian jungle we live next to lol.
Ive got a GSC from Nirvana i started back in January, shes a mammoth!20230529_191839.jpg20230529_192110.jpg

And then i have a Green Crack from ILGM, and a seed i found in some weed called 'Jawbreaker' its supposedly a sativa, but it looked to have indica characteristics so i put it outside lol. I dont have pictures of those, the GC is sick, think PH is too high or its still recovering from frost damage but im not sure, so im just letting it ride. And i just put the jawbreaker out a couple days ago.

I had a really nice LSD plant out there too but my neighbor had all his plants die one night so i gave it to him, along with 4 clones i had planned to throw away cause i didnt want him to not grow this year lol.

everyone growing outdoors should wash their buds. Disgusting when you've seen what comes off. Just the dust alone!

we wash vegetables but don't wash weed? strange :p

Last edited:
Damn, several awesome tips there thanks a ton. Im paranoid about mites so should I ever suspect any I will try a combo of UV light and "using my brain" and tricking them into offing themselves.

Im planning on moving my grow into the garage after this run, so would you recommend I clean all the surfaces of the garage with orange oil and let it sit for a few weeks to make sure no mites are there? Also, do mites hang around if there is no plant material to eat?

I have some Nukem spray that I was gonna use to clean the garage with. I was thinking maybe use the nukem on all surfaces, let it dry couple days, then hit it with the orange oil. I take it the plants dont mind the orange oil?
Hells yeah bro thanks again for the advice.
Orange oil can burn up a plant pretty bad if the concentration is too high so I'd keep it off the leaves.
1oz orange oil to 30oz of water would make for a good spray to use on a soil surface say if you have gnats or springtails.
I also use it to kill fire ants but that's another story.

I like to use a pump sprayer which holds about 2 gallons of water and mix in 4oz of orange oil or same ratio in a small spray bottle and just go around spraying everything like spraying a window with windex.
In some areas like the floor, I let it dry. But for something like my reflective walls I spray them and wipe down so there's no residue. And I'll use it to clean fan blades and any other place that might get dusty.
In a garage, yeah I'd probably fumigate too then clean.

Spider mites are a peculiar bug. Outside they have so many predators they're kept in check fairly well by other bugs that eat them but indoors they become an apex pest with no natural predator.
They only want live plants. They won't nest up someplace waiting for a plant to come to them and they want nothing to do with drying plant material.
They'll go find the next plant within hours of the host plant's death. Indoors they simply crawl to the next plant, feast, and lay more eggs on the underside of leaves.
When they go mobile they gather in a cluster of webbing like a spider web, get to a high point, let go of the plant, and use wind to blow them to the next living plant. When you see the webbing, that means they're close to killing the plant and getting ready to leave it. Webs also indicates a severe infestation.

So after a grow when plants are dead and there's no wind or anyplace to go, they die within days if not hours. They need to constantly be sucking on plants to stay hydrated and well fed. Take that away and lock them in a room they subside and die off like all living things would do.
I'm not sure about eggs and if they can go dormant then pop open later but that's just another reason to keep things clean and dust often. Eggs will always be on leaves but in the mayhem of chopping and moving plants around I'm sure some can fall off and end up in the environment. But sya they hatch in a dust pile they'd die fairly quick not having any plants to suck on
Every pause in the grow, every cleaning, is going to help break their cycle and kill them off

haha I was trying to link ATL talk and plant pests. Like out here in VA we got fk tons of ticks and I hear the local Hemp industry has introduced a healthy population of russet mites.
ok so for me i only been growing for 3 years and i have only had to deal with fungus gnats thats inside outside it like what it would be where u are leaf hopper grasshoppers etc , i i tried growing weed 1 time outside 3 years ago all my plants got white mildew and u could see where something would chew on the leaves

Back
Top Bottom