All Things Gaming

Does anyone here rock a KVM? If so, I'm looking for recommendations. Want to run two monitors (DisplayPort), one mouse, one keyboard, across at least two computers, potentially three in the future. Not sure it matters, but also need to support both Mac and Linux (no Microsoft poison in this house).

oh man... don't get me started with HP, or any consumer grade printer anymore really. HP happens to be particularly egregious with their data collection and manipulation of consumers though.
What? You don’t like being forced on their ink cart plan?

Idk how their color printers are, but I got a cheap $150-$200 brother printer that uses toner (black and white prints only), and the thing has never given me issues in the last 8 years. If I were going to go color, I’d definitely give them a shot. HP basically rents you printers these days.

Does anyone here rock a KVM? If so, I'm looking for recommendations. Want to run two monitors (DisplayPort), one mouse, one keyboard, across at least two computers, potentially three in the future. Not sure it matters, but also need to support both Mac and Linux (no Microsoft poison in this house).

That’s what I use. The only issue I ever have with it is when I don’t use my work laptop for a few days / week, I have to unplug the HDMI cable and usb from the back of the kvm. Otherwise I’ve never had an issue with my desktop or my side business laptop.

Of course, this is an HDMI kvm, so I can’t speak on display port variants (I’m not a pc gamer, and I like my cables to be as uniform across as many devices as possible, and there’s no DP’s on consoles lol).

Of course, this is an HDMI kvm, so I can’t speak on display port variants (I’m not a pc gamer, and I like my cables to be as uniform across as many devices as possible, and there’s no DP’s on consoles lol).
haha i'm not a gamer either and i'd love to have the monitors run on HDMI but my GPU only has one HDMI port. also with one of the window managers i use i like to have multiple monitors instead of just one big one. helps me keep things orderly a little better. from what i've read, displayport is a bit better in terms of image quality too, not that it matters since this machine will never see a video game so long as I have it.

primarily i just want to be able to switch between the systems and use a single setup instead of two keyboards, two mice, and four monitors like i do now. being able to transfer encrypted stuff to my personal system, click a button, and start cracking hashes would make life a hell of a lot easier than it is now and will streamline my desk from chaotic neutral to chaotic good.

Not a Linux guy but what are you running it through? Red Hat?

haha i'm not a gamer either and i'd love to have the monitors run on HDMI but my GPU only has one HDMI port. also with one of the window managers i use i like to have multiple monitors instead of just one big one. helps me keep things orderly a little better. from what i've read, displayport is a bit better in terms of image quality too, not that it matters since this machine will never see a video game so long as I have it.

primarily i just want to be able to switch between the systems and use a single setup instead of two keyboards, two mice, and four monitors like i do now. being able to transfer encrypted stuff to my personal system, click a button, and start cracking hashes would make life a hell of a lot easier than it is now and will streamline my desk from chaotic neutral to chaotic good.

You could use the hdmi for the kvm. I don’t know of a kvm that swaps multiple monitors. As for dp being better image quality - you likely won’t see it in a typical computer user situation. We use them at work, and there’s no difference for day to day stuff.

Either way, I’m sure you’ll find something that does the trick

You could use the hdmi for the kvm. I don’t know of a kvm that swaps multiple monitors. As for dp being better image quality - you likely won’t see it in a typical computer user situation. We use them at work, and there’s no difference for day to day stuff.

Either way, I’m sure you’ll find something that does the trick
i agree. i live in a terminal most of the time, so a slightly crisper pixel isn't gonna matter to me. shit, when compiling and a wall of text is flying by it's not like i can read it anyways lol

There's a program that allows one mouse one keyboard multiple systems I'll have to find it.

And there's devices that split HDMI signals, little HDMI hub like thing.

This is the rough dimensions and plan for execution

edit: not to scale at all.
View attachment 17067
just coming back to this thread, and for a second i thought you had some D&D dungeon master blue prints! lol

i have looked at a site called rolld20, that i want to try out as a player first before i set up a game to host for us bud builders

i came on here to post about this random point and click game i think is cool. i mean how many games have 'basement people' ?

1697506620792.png
1697506535490.png

Anyone playing WoW?
do you still play this? i've never played but have seen the southpark WoW many times. I remember a friend who was playing, i went to his house one day, maybe 2005, and he was playing Wow, he wasn't doing anything on the computer and i asked him what was up. he said he found a cave he is just chilling in when he gets high in RL.. lol

so how leveled up is your character? is the WoW still cool? i love Dungeons and dragons, and am looking for an online gaming community to join to play games like this

just coming back to this thread, and for a second i thought you had some D&D dungeon master blue prints! lol

i have looked at a site called rolld20, that i want to try out as a player first before i set up a game to host for us bud builders

i came on here to post about this random point and click game i think is cool. i mean how many games have 'basement people' ?

View attachment 26131
View attachment 26129
lol nah. that was when i was battling how to get wire fished where i needed it. that problem has been overcome. waiting for the dead of winter to run the rest i need in the attic for cameras and whatnot, but the primary ethernet jacks and wireless access points are all ran and terminated. still have another 500ft of cat6 that needs pulled from the utility room to the attic, but that'll happen in due time.

lol nah. that was when i was battling how to get wire fished where i needed it. that problem has been overcome. waiting for the dead of winter to run the rest i need in the attic for cameras and whatnot, but the primary ethernet jacks and wireless access points are all ran and terminated. still have another 500ft of cat6 that needs pulled from the utility room to the attic, but that'll happen in due time.
this is for the soundproof/sound studio room, right?

this is for the soundproof/sound studio room, right?
no, those diagrams were for the whole house. so, i ran two lines to my office (which will be the studio room) for 100gbit ethernet ports. two upstairs for another set of 100gbit ethernet ports near the TV/entertainment equipment. one line upstairs for a wireless access point, and one downstairs for a wireless access point.

I'll be installing roughly 10-12 PoE cameras, 7-8 PoE access control panels with magnetic locks on various doors, and a smart doorbell. using this house as my foray into physical security given my primary focus in my job is application security, so breaking out of software and getting into hardware is way more fun right now.

do you still play this? i've never played but have seen the southpark WoW many times. I remember a friend who was playing, i went to his house one day, maybe 2005, and he was playing Wow, he wasn't doing anything on the computer and i asked him what was up. he said he found a cave he is just chilling in when he gets high in RL.. lol

so how leveled up is your character? is the WoW still cool? i love Dungeons and dragons, and am looking for an online gaming community to join to play games like this
im trying to get back in to it, theyve released Classic WoW and another Era of WoW aslong side the LIVE/RETAIL version of WoW. lol

and still requires 15$ a month

when i have time at night ill play an hour or so, just like any game -always better with someone to play with

i never even hit max level and got to end game content, got a few different characters lvl 1-40

Last edited:
no, those diagrams were for the whole house. so, i ran two lines to my office (which will be the studio room) for 100gbit ethernet ports. two upstairs for another set of 100gbit ethernet ports near the TV/entertainment equipment. one line upstairs for a wireless access point, and one downstairs for a wireless access point.

I'll be installing roughly 10-12 PoE cameras, 7-8 PoE access control panels with magnetic locks on various doors, and a smart doorbell. using this house as my foray into physical security given my primary focus in my job is application security, so breaking out of software and getting into hardware is way more fun right now.
that tech sounds bad ass! is there any logic connection to the camera feed and the magnetic looks using facial recognition?

btw did you ever finish the studio sound proofing?

im trying to get back in to it, theyve released Classic WoW and another Era of WoW aslong side the LIVE/RETAIL version of WoW. lol

and still requires 15$ a month

when i have time at night ill play an hour or so, just like any game -always better with someone to play with

i never even hit max level and got to end game content, got a few different characters lvl 1-40
is 40 the highest?

i'm sure you saw the southpark parody of wow right?

that tech sounds bad ass! is there any logic connection to the camera feed and the magnetic looks using facial recognition?

btw did you ever finish the studio sound proofing?
no facial recognition. not going that advanced. just going to do key cards; NFC communication. at least, for now. i might do fingerprints when that tech drops to a cheaper level. all cameras will be exterior too, aside from a single 360 degree cam in the primary entryway of the house that will have view of the access doors into the house up there, as well as the stairs. can't really use external cameras for that.

i'm still working on design for the soundproofing. that's a more long winded project. i want to do it once, and be done. i'll likely finish it next fall, waiting to see what this winter brings given this is the first winter in the house and when I was running the cat6 i found mold in some of the drywall, i want to make sure there aren't moisture issues that will require I rip out drywall after doing all the soundproofing work.

my coming back to WoW experience

.>Log in
.>select character
.>que for dungeon
.>dungeon Que pops
.>accept
.>group is already ahead
.>someone must have afkd/got kicked
.>ill catch up
.>mobs in the way
.>Cant go around
.>Die
.>try again
.>Die
.>try again
.>Die
.>Cant catch up to party
.>leave instance
.>cant que again for 10 minutes cuz left
.>ALT+F4
.>smoke a bowl
.>sigh

Son does gaming nights for AD&D or other bord games. Magic was in Bancroft this weekend with a bunch of them.

PS5 & Steamdeck are the current consoles.

Got the series x and ps5...the xbox gets all the shine tho, i barely touch the ps5 for some reason. Game pass probably.

My computer will handle some games but it needs an ssd something bad

Got the series x and ps5...the xbox gets all the shine tho, i barely touch the ps5 for some reason. Game pass probably.

My computer will handle some games but it needs an ssd something bad
I can mail you a Chinese 1tb ssd 2.5" sata III. It checks out as real with the verification tools I used(there is a big scandal right now with fake ssd sizes, I used a tool that verified free space matched drive table) only used it to test it. I can run another test and paste free space verification and read/write speeds via USB C external HD enclosure.

I don't need it, I have a 2.5tb total of SSD storage now. And a 2tb network hdd for streaming my files across my network) don't need an SSD for it.

I'm sure it would only cost 5-10 to ship it in US if interested.

Just got Baldur's Gate 3 & have really been enjoying it so far, it's about as close as you can get to playing tabletop D&D without needing a group. The game allows for so many options as to how to complete tasks & it seems the developers took all of them into account & made the game acknowledge almost any choice you make. A great example there is a part where you encounter a dead body in a house. When you leave the dead man's wife (or it could have been the wife that died I can't remember) is outside & you can tell them about their dead spouse. However you can also use a spell that allows you to commune with the dead & then you get the option to relay a message to the spouse. or you can pick the corpse up take it outside & then perform the commune spell & a direct conversation between the wife & dead husband will take place.

Combat is entirely turn based, but not in a traditional RPG way where your characters simply line up & you pick which attacks/abilities to use. You move characters around the environment to position them for attacks etc. it's just all done in turns so you can move so far & perform a certain number of actions within each turn. It's really fun & allows you to take combat at your own pace. The game has won a ton of awards, it was in early access for a long time as it wasn't produced by a big corporate gaming company they took their time & really made a great game, highly recommend it for any RPG fans out there.

Just got Baldur's Gate 3 & have really been enjoying it so far, it's about as close as you can get to playing tabletop D&D without needing a group. The game allows for so many options as to how to complete tasks & it seems the developers took all of them into account & made the game acknowledge almost any choice you make. A great example there is a part where you encounter a dead body in a house. When you leave the dead man's wife (or it could have been the wife that died I can't remember) is outside & you can tell them about their dead spouse. However you can also use a spell that allows you to commune with the dead & then you get the option to relay a message to the spouse. or you can pick the corpse up take it outside & then perform the commune spell & a direct conversation between the wife & dead husband will take place.

Combat is entirely turn based, but not in a traditional RPG way where your characters simply line up & you pick which attacks/abilities to use. You move characters around the environment to position them for attacks etc. it's just all done in turns so you can move so far & perform a certain number of actions within each turn. It's really fun & allows you to take combat at your own pace. The game has won a ton of awards, it was in early access for a long time as it wasn't produced by a big corporate gaming company they took their time & really made a great game, highly recommend it for any RPG fans out there.
Nice review. Link saved for my son to review later. 👍

Wow I used to play baldurs gate back on N64 and it was an action RPG like Diablo...hack n slash type gameplay. Turn based has my attention...love strategizing over a big ole hit or two

Back
Top Bottom