All Things Gaming

Console gamer here. Have most of the consoles up to current gen (missing current Xbox tho).

I rarely have time to play these days, though.

Just got back to TOTK after a month hiatus. Is it just me that when you get older and stop playing a game for a few weeks and when you try to get back to it you're like, wtf was I doing again, and what are those special controller tricks/moves again? Lol

Went with radeon 7900xtx gpu with a ryzen 78003dw cpu. 2tb ssd and 32G ddr5 ram and a at5 board. My head sure hurt after going back down that rabbit hole lol. Amazon honors AMD's Starfield promo so I got the game code w my order. Had no trouble finding parts I wanted and getting them here this week.

Just got back to TOTK after a month hiatus. Is it just me that when you get older and stop playing a game for a few weeks and when you try to get back to it you're like, wtf was I doing again, and what are those special controller tricks/moves again? Lol
Lol yeah No Mans Sky gets me the worst w that. They are always dropping free expansions so every few months I'll log back in and be totally lost in space in my ship somewhere or on some hellhole planet not remembering how anything works lol.

our first family computer was a 286, coolest game we had was Terminator 1. It was really almost like an early Grand theft auto 3, because it had 3d kind of rendering, you could steal and drive cars, jump out of them, go into stores, buy stuff or rob them, and you could be the terminator(arnold) or Reese who hunts Arnold. And then we got a 486dx2 when i was in high school that I did some high school computer science stuff on(turbo pascal).. oh I remember how you had to pull out all the stops if you wanted Doom to run on 4mb of ram back then... lol but we didn't get it when it was new, by the time we had a 486, pentiums and pentium 2 were the hot shit. oh those were the days....... I used to love calling up to the local bbs via a direct dial up call to them, no internet. We had a bbs run by our local military academy that was pretty cool for late 90s, it had a 16 dial up nodes and 16 telnet nodes(i think?), a chat room, some file sharing (we had to label stuff as "demo" all the time so they wouldn't moderate it, or rename it as something else... lol) oh the memories...

Do you still have that PC? Some of those old PC games just run best on the actual hardware than a DOS box or some other dos emulator.

Hey i know you're not that old, but my uncle gave me some of his punch cards he used to program with back when he was doing computer stuff for the government. You guys ever seen one of these? you would have a stack of these to feed in to the reader to run a program

View attachment 16617
Hell yeah! My mom had a few boxes of these from when she took Fortran and assembly when she was in college.

That was me whenever I stopped playing any RPG for longer than a week regardless of age and smoking status lol. Most 8 and 16 bit RPG's I know like the back of my hand now, but that's because I'd basically brute force my summers playing through them as a kid, and would play them multiple times.

Ah the memories lol

That was me whenever I stopped playing any RPG for longer than a week regardless of age and smoking status lol. Most 8 and 16 bit RPG's I know like the back of my hand now, but that's because I'd basically brute force my summers playing through them as a kid, and would play them multiple times.

Ah the memories lol
Yea dude that's one thing modern gaming has helped correct...objectives, or a map marker help alot. Something about those old school games not holding your hand though makes me miss the way it was. I'm really to the age now I need to focus on games I've been meaning to play or I never will. My son is almost 2 so once he can game properly I'll have to use that as an excuse to go back and play the classics...start him out right

Yea dude that's one thing modern gaming has helped correct...objectives, or a map marker help alot. Something about those old school games not holding your hand though makes me miss the way it was. I'm really to the age now I need to focus on games I've been meaning to play or I never will. My son is almost 2 so once he can game properly I'll have to use that as an excuse to go back and play the classics...start him out right

For sure! Even if you donā€™t remember what you have to do, you have some guidance on where to go.

My kid just turned 3 and is starting to enjoy original NES games, so I see a good amount of that being played in the next year or 2 šŸ˜

I like games that give you the option to turn off all HUDs like in Zelda. Sometimes I like it old school, naked, no map, no map indicators, etc...

I am pushing back on the linear story lines and forced direction/guidance of modern games.

It's nice that more and more games are giving players an option to turn all that stuff off and just be immersed in the game and not just following directions.

I like games that give you the option to turn off all HUDs like in Zelda. Sometimes I like it old school, naked, no map, no map indicators, etc...

I am pushing back on the linear story lines and forced direction/guidance of modern games.

It's nice that more and more games are giving players an option to turn all that stuff off and just be immersed in the game and not just following directions.

Thatā€™s how I felt about Final Fantasy XIII: hallway simulator

But thereā€™s still some really awesome titles out there that donā€™t follow that handholding method. But totally on point with all you said.

Tearing around Warzone mowing people from the back of a 4 wheeler w you kid driving is a level of fun I never expected having when I first started gaming.

They could make a turn based rpg damn near photo realistic...think of how mortal kombat used real life models for their sprites but now hi def.

We could have a mortals kombat in 2d that looks insane today...I feel like they are missing out alot with this focus on 3d and dropping the old ways of developing. Hell a turn based rpg with a world overview that is just cell shaded or something with the actually battles focusing on superb graphics (kinda like the old ff7 style, shit looked a little more detailed when in battle) that would be so dope.

If I'm making a game in 2023 it's a turn based rpg mostly based in reality with and adult/dark theme, sort of like binding of Isaac but more hardcore. Religion, drugs, cannibalism, murder, anything is on the table basically. There would be consequences and outcomes for actions chosen. It would be just like I said too, overworld kind of ok graphics like Diablo or something but battle sequences I'd go for photogenic quality or as close as I could get.

Kill some meth heads, seek redemption at a church or smoke the product, if you choose church you can get forgiven, or do side missions for the priest and find the dark side of the church as well...smoke the product and you get heightened senses for 2 days in game time but by the end you start hallucinating if you don't find a bed. Procure more to not come down but the game gets crazy and harder to play because you start hallucinating hard...seek detox at a rehab, possible side quests etc...imo a hit waiting to be made if done proper

This is one big reason I try indie games more than AAA games, the creativity and overall game experience can be amazing on some indie games, even if the graphics aren't.

Ori will of the wisps is an awesome platformer with hues that make you seem you're tripping, and the game just drops you in a world to figure out on your own mostly.

Stanley's parable, is a "game" about free will. It's as trippy as it sounds, the narrator can fuck with you... Playing this game for the first time tripping might not be a good idea.. or it could be hilarious lol

Stray, another awesome indie game, who doesn't want to explore a post apocalyptic world through the eyes of a cat?

I'm probably the odd one here that doesn't play fps games. Racing, RPGs, and weird indies for me.

alright, this group might have some insight.

i need to run a shit ton of network cable through finished walls. Problem is, based off internal measurements, the vertical walls in my second floor/basement do not align with the vertical walls on the main floor. I need to run drops both downstairs and upstairs, and preferably would run the vertical drops upstairs from the attic as I will at some point be installing PoE cameras outside of the house.

how does one go about accurately mapping out the walls inside their home for both floors without reaching out to the county for the possibility of getting ahold of actual blueprints?

Is there a closet space in the main floor you could potentially use as a chase to get wires between basement and attic?

Is there a closet space in the main floor you could potentially use as a chase to get wires between basement and attic?
that would be ideal. I'm currently running around the house with a tape taking measurements of inside dimensions of all floor space between walls. it won't be exact, but easy enough to tack on 1 3/4" to each measurement to find center on some walls.

problem is some walls are framed with 2x6, some with 2x4, and some are brick/cinder block.

the only thing i've confirmed so far is the center wall upstairs sits on the header beam that runs the length of the basement. if I can find an internal wall that aligns then I can figure out how to run the cable from where the server rack lives up to the attic.

i have an hvac plenum that runs the length of the basement as well, but it's separated by floor joists and i'm not trying to have to drill through every single joist, which would require punching a shit ton of holes in the ceiling. plus, my wire isn't plenum rated so rather run it through non-plenum space if at all possible.

You have the right idea. If its a decent attic to get around generally Id get as much up there for main floor drops as possible. Way easier dropping them down than fishing up imo, and you can easily see where the interior walls are from the attic when you pull back insulation. @GrumpAzz is a sparky so I'm sure hes fished a wire or two as well.

If it's an option, I'll (carefully) pull trim and channel behind it to get wires around a room before Ill cut a bunch of holes in drywall. I find it quicker to pull nails and reapply trim, touch up nail holes, than patching drywall/paint/mess etc ymmv.

Really, at this point, I think i need to just cut some selective holes and have a look-see. Think I've figured out a shared wall I can run the wires up to the attic through. The more challenging portion is across the basement as the plenum is just about the only route unless i can figure out how to get into the subfloor above the plenum.

given the house was built in '77 and was retrofitted with a heat pump system sometime in the past decade, there's some shit about how stuff is put together that seems more complicated than it should be.

You have the right idea. If its a decent attic to get around generally Id get as much up there for main floor drops as possible. Way easier dropping them down than fishing up imo, and you can easily see where the interior walls are from the attic when you pull back insulation. @GrumpAzz is a sparky so I'm sure hes fished a wire or two as well.

If it's an option, I'll (carefully) pull trim and channel behind it to get wires around a room before Ill cut a bunch of holes in drywall. I find it quicker to pull nails and reapply trim, touch up nail holes, than patching drywall/paint/mess etc ymmv.
Fished a wired or two, for sure. You guys are on the right track. Like Beans said, for the first floor, the attic is a pretty easy place to see where your walls are and you'd use less wire if that's where your rack is. That was the only thing that's raised an eyebrow for me. Server rack in the attic? Do attics not get ridiculously hot in your area?

Edit: crap like that is what has me wanting that powerplant job. It's no fun squirming around in an attic.

Grump I think he said from server up to the attic not server up in the attic. I gathered basement server w drops on main and basement levels, all retro. Without being on site it's kind of hard to give much advice but if you get in a jam @tobh I'm all ears.

Fished a wired or two, for sure. You guys are on the right track. Like Beans said, for the first floor, the attic is a pretty easy place to see where your walls are and you'd use less wire if that's where your rack is. That was the only thing that's raised an eyebrow for me. Server rack in the attic? Do attics not get ridiculously hot in your area?

Edit: crap like that is what has me wanting that powerplant job. It's no fun squirming around in an attic.
oh hell nah lol the server rack lives in the utility room, which is in the garage area of the basement.

what i need to run for the basement:

• one drop for a wireless access point inside the hallway, about 10' from the utility room
  • two drops to my office which is in the NW corner of the house

what i need to run for the main floor:

• one drop in the entryway of the house for a wireless access point
  • two drops at each corner of the house for PoE cameras
  • two drops in the living room

I would also like to future-proof somehow to make running future drops easier. Really I would like to run multiple lengths of conduit in the walls so that repeating all this mathing won't be required when I inevitably want to run more lines for additional cameras and smart home devices. This first effort is just to get the core system established.

This is the rough dimensions and plan for execution

edit: not to scale at all.
PXL_20230809_235322944.jpg

so, aside from cutting holes in walls to see, or trusting a stud finder to tell me there's something behind a wall, are there any devices to figure out where the electrical lines physically run in the walls?

reason I ask is because... well, i'll snag some pics for y'all.

maybe should start a sparky thread for this kinda stuff. up in here hijacking the gaming thread :ROFLMAO:

@Moe.Red or @smoke or other staff -- would y'all mind moving posts #76 through #85 to a new thread for Electrical discussion? Hijacked this thread with marginally relevant content that would better live in a help thread for electrical work (wiring, circuits, etc).

I can start the thread if it'd be helpful but figure y'all might have some fancy way of doing that.

@Moe.Red or @smoke or other staff -- would y'all mind moving posts #76 through #85 to a new thread for Electrical discussion? Hijacked this thread with marginally relevant content that would better live in a help thread for electrical work (wiring, circuits, etc).

I can start the thread if it'd be helpful but figure y'all might have some fancy way of doing that.
Mods, here's the thread to migrate those posts to please šŸ˜ https://budbuilders.org/threads/āš”electrical-help-threadāš”.506/

Rainbow 6 Siege has been my go to for a few years since I built my pc in 2019. Itā€™s frustrating and addictive. Havenā€™t played as much in the last little while, but still hop on a couple times a week. Went with AMD for the pc. 3700x, 5700xt reference card. It was fun to piece it all together and build. Kinda wanna do it again soon, but so many other things to spend money on. Like new grow shit lol.

Powers to be are working on it

Rainbow 6 Siege has been my go to for a few years since I built my pc in 2019. Itā€™s frustrating and addictive. Havenā€™t played as much in the last little while, but still hop on a couple times a week. Went with AMD for the pc. 3700x, 5700xt reference card. It was fun to piece it all together and build. Kinda wanna do it again soon, but so many other things to spend money on. Like new grow shit lol.
I'm halfway through my first grow and I'm already looking at other lights. Why? So I can put together another tent, of course.

Back
Top Bottom