It's a week since flipping, so I figured I post an update.
IMG_7836.jpeg
The bush in the front, center, is Captain Future. A short, bushy Oracle Octane is directly behind it, in the center of the tent. Since she'll be farthest from the light, I stuck her in the middle. The rest are the Irie creations. Most Irie strains seem to be somewhat tall, but not too bad. I've never had a problem keeping them at about 4 feet tall, from soil surface to tops.

The taller girls were super cropped. These included the Lemon Jeffrey plants and the Character Zero plants. Lemon Jeffery is the only real pain-in-the-butt plant. Each of the two have two plant stakes, preemptively put in their pots. They get tall and their branches are too weak to hold up their buds, after about week 6. Also, if you top Lem Jeff, the first internodes on the branches are twice as long as normal internodes, so they're as tall or taller than they would have been if you didn't top. They do take well to having their stems squashed, though.

But as usual, if the branch you squash isn't tied down long enough, it straightens out. I had to hit this one twice. The knuckle on the squashed point seemed well formed, so I didn't expect straightening.
IMG_7839.jpeg
But there is was, straightening up, and getting too close to the light. It started praying, so I took it as a prayer to have its stem squashed again.

Light penetration seems awfully nice, so there will only be minimal fan leaf removal, when a big leaf is covering a strong branch's growing point. Several have been removed already. They also had branches removed, through the 4th node.

So Happy Thanksgiving, and try not to eat until bursting.

This was taken a couple of days ago. The stretch is ON, but it looks like they're all behaving so far.
IMG_7843.jpeg
Button buds are developing well on all, except the Lemon Jeffrey plants are behind the others. It seems to have a little more sativa character to its structure.

The plants that received a lower nutrient blend of soil than the others have not shown any signs of nute deficiency, and those that got the higher nutrient blend of soil didn't show any leaf hooking or shininess from too much N. I'll probably hit the ones with lower nutes with some liquid organic nutes, next watering.

They're about due for a male flower inspection. Things are going too well for there not to be a ball somewhere.

The first three weeks of flower are over. Suddenly there are recognizable buds.
IMG_7844.jpeg

Lemon Jeffrey seemed to be thinking about forming buds a week ago. Now the plan has taken form. She already has a light lemon scent.
IMG_7845.jpeg

Everyone else smells "fruity" at this time -- except for a sour diesel cross that seems to be giving off proto-fuel scents.

The two Character Zeros are two different phenos, structurally. This one is stretchier, with wider leaves. The leaves also seem to have a slightly blue cast:
IMG_7846.jpeg

This one has smaller, narrower, greener leaves, and is less stretchy:
IMG_7847.jpeg
Except for one grandparent, I've never grown, seen anyone else grow or smoked any of the strains in this girl's family tree. Nigerian and a Nepalese sativa are two of the grandparents, and I'm guessing this plant leans toward one or both of them. My heart is already racing at the thought.

I added some beneficial nematodes to the soil to knock the fungus gnats back, and also to disrupt any thrips life cycles that were not disrupted by my spraying during veg. Not that I see any signs of them anymore.

So I reduced the light intensity from 75% to 35% so the little worms wouldn't die from the light while I was applying them. This morning I brought the light intensity back up.

To my surprise, when I opened the tent this morning, most of the plants were praying!! I always considered praying a plant's first reaction to too much light. Now low light with nematodes can also do it.

Anyway, i raised the intensity back to 75%. If these gals pray for low light and high light, I'm thinking they're following a false religion.

I added some beneficial nematodes to the soil to knock the fungus gnats back, and also to disrupt any thrips life cycles that were not disrupted by my spraying during veg. Not that I see any signs of them anymore.

So I reduced the light intensity from 75% to 35% so the little worms wouldn't die from the light while I was applying them. This morning I brought the light intensity back up.

To my surprise, when I opened the tent this morning, most of the plants were praying!! I always considered praying a plant's first reaction to too much light. Now low light with nematodes can also do it.

Anyway, i raised the intensity back to 75%. If these gals pray for low light and high light, I'm thinking they're following a false religion.
You might want to look at how thrips breed. No soil involved is my understanding.

They do spend part of their lives in soil.
View attachment 33252
I did not know that. Thank you for pointing it out. I had them once, I used a soil product for like 4 weeks trying to kill them off. Negative not working. Used Dow Conserve. One application and gone. Dow conserve is Spinosad. About 23 times as much as captain jacks dead big. And not really toxic.

I did not know that. Thank you for pointing it out. I had them once, I used a soil product for like 4 weeks trying to kill them off. Negative not working. Used Dow Conserve. One application and gone. Dow conserve is Spinosad. About 23 times as much as captain jacks dead big. And not really toxic.
Nematodes are not the answer to an infestation. They work too slowly. I sprayed during veg to get rid of them.

The main driver in getting nematodes for this grow was to control gnats. From my experience, it takes about 2 weeks to seriously slash the gnat population after adding nematodes. But just in case there was a stray thrip...

BTW - the praying leaves have stopped, except for the plant in the center of the tent. How odd.

I'm going to have to mess with my plants in the future to see if I can figure out the causes of the praying action.

I usually do a soil drench with Azamax if I get gnats.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I never seem to get gnats. The last couple grows had more of my hair then gnats stuck to the sticky traps. If you look at some of the photos in my recent grow journal you'll notice there are no gnat traps hanging. So far no gnats.

I usually do a soil drench with Azamax if I get gnats.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I never seem to get gnats. The last couple grows had more of my hair then gnats stuck to the sticky traps. If you look at some of the photos in my recent grow journal you'll notice there are no gnat traps hanging. So far no gnats.
You're in soil? If so, wherever you get your soil or soil components, they store it properly. You also water properly.

Gnat eggs and larvae are often in a product you bring into the house. Over watering soil with gnats in it can cause a population explosion.

The Character Zero with wide leaves is rather frosty for week 3.5.
CZ-wideleaf_wk3.5_frost.jpeg
The scent is somewhat fruity, but there are other scents in there, as well, that I can't identify.

It's a generally fruity situation, overall:

Oracle Octane is also quite frosty. She smells very sweet and fruity.
Captain Future has a minty + fruit scent. I assume she must have some GS Cookies in her family tree.
The Wombat, which should have some diesel scents, is now surprisingly fruity.
The Rhombus -- both are fruity.
Lemon Jeffery -- as the name suggests, these two girls smell like Jeffery.

Just so I can compare week to week, this is the group in week 4. I'm guessing stretch is at an end. They're quite well behaved.
week4.jpeg
As I recall from growing the M/F version of Lemon Jeffery, it wasn't until about week 8 that they started flopping all over the place.

One of the Character Zeros is frosty as can be for a 4 weeker. The other doesn't look very frosty, but it seems the trichs are very small. I accidentally brushed a sugar leaf and suddenly a stanky armpit odor hit my nose, and it wasn't me. I may be in love with that girl now.

She's an N-demanding plant, and may be heading for a too early fade.
CZ-narrow_wk4.jpeg

Without this grow diary, I'd say my plants haven't grown and matured since they were seedlings. I can see that I'm wrong.
Week 5 group pic:
group_5wks.jpeg
It's quite a variety. Some are starting to fade, others have no intention of ever fading.

It's a coming out party, a cotillion as it were, for the ladies. Though they're not actually coming out. Pollen doners will be murdered.
Here are the two Character Zeros. The one that ISN'T fading got a lower nutrient soil mix.
CZwideleaf_wk5.jpeg
CZnarrowleaf_wk5.jpeg
The first one looks better. In my grows, that means the second one will be better.

This is Captain Future. Looks downright average.
Captfuture_wk5.jpeg
Here is the ever-praying Oracle Octane:
OrOct_wk5.jpeg
Most plants would be thrilled with the enviable center position in the tent. But no, this one prays for less light. Too bad. She's shortest, so she gets the center. That's the rule. I didn't make it, I just live by it.

The Lemon Jeffery sisters are both fading. They're still 3 or so weeks away from their flopping mess stage. They smell great. Not enough limonene in my last grow.
LemJeff_wk5.jpeg
otherlemjeff_wk5.jpeg
Have I mentioned, lately, that limonene is the greatest terp known to humankind?

Here are the Rhombus sisters. Whenever I rub a sugar leaf, they remind me that they will be sedating my ass for months after harvest.
TheRhombus_wk5.jpeg
TheRhombus2_wk5.jpeg

And finally, The wombat. For a while I had convinced myself that this was a sour diesel cross. I was recently reminded it's a NYCD cross. Now I'm less excited about it. On the bright side, she looks average as hell.
wombat_wk5.jpeg

If the breeders' reported flowering times are correct, I'm halfway there. What's that? You doubt the breeder-reported flowering times? I'll be going well into February? IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING?

Me too.

Without this grow diary, I'd say my plants haven't grown and matured since they were seedlings. I can see that I'm wrong.
Week 5 group pic:
View attachment 34911
It's quite a variety. Some are starting to fade, others have no intention of ever fading.

It's a coming out party, a cotillion as it were, for the ladies. Though they're not actually coming out. Pollen doners will be murdered.
Here are the two Character Zeros. The one that ISN'T fading got a lower nutrient soil mix.
View attachment 34912
View attachment 34913
The first one looks better. In my grows, that means the second one will be better.

This is Captain Future. Looks downright average.
View attachment 34914
Here is the ever-praying Oracle Octane:
View attachment 34915
Most plants would be thrilled with the enviable center position in the tent. But no, this one prays for less light. Too bad. She's shortest, so she gets the center. That's the rule. I didn't make it, I just live by it.

The Lemon Jeffery sisters are both fading. They're still 3 or so weeks away from their flopping mess stage. They smell great. Not enough limonene in my last grow.
View attachment 34916
View attachment 34917
Have I mentioned, lately, that limonene is the greatest terp known to humankind?

Here are the Rhombus sisters. Whenever I rub a sugar leaf, they remind me that they will be sedating my ass for months after harvest.
View attachment 34918
View attachment 34922

And finally, The wombat. For a while I had convinced myself that this was a sour diesel cross. I was recently reminded it's a NYCD cross. Now I'm less excited about it. On the bright side, she looks average as hell.
View attachment 34923

If the breeders' reported flowering times are correct, I'm halfway there. What's that? You doubt the breeder-reported flowering times? I'll be going well into February? IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING?

Me too.
Wow...just Wow!

Latest news from Flying Critter Journal:

Alien-Like Beings Wiping Out Gnat Population
The local gnat population in a popular Michigan grow tent plummeted in recent weeks, when freakish "hell worms" made their appearance.

"Young, indolent larvae ingest these hell worms while lazing around, eating fungus or whatever the hell young gnats eat. They nourish themselves on the poor, unsuspecting larvae, then explode out of the host in a wriggling mass, thirsting for more larval flesh," explained an adult gnat who was available for an interview, because he was caught in a yellow sticky trap. "It's these lazy punk kids. My generation would never..." he explained, as some sticky stuff finally covered her mandibles, shutting her up forever.

"The older generation doesn't understand," complained a young larval slug, dressed in a Carhart hoody. "They didn't have to deal with, uh-oh, no, not... ACHH! GLURK! SPLORK!" as a colony of nematodes burst from his once-stylish carcass.

"They might have us on the run for this grow, but we'll be back with the next supply of infested soil, you can count on it!" promised Mayor Gnatty McNattington. "Who will get their asses stuck on the trichs in the tent's finest buds, if not for us?"

Nematodes for the win!!!! Great writing.

End of week 6. The tent smells like it's full of overripe fruit, with a background hint of funk.
IMG_7879.jpeg
The fade is on, for some of them. One Character Zero turned from a fruity scent to absolute stink-foot armpit stench, with a hint of fruit in the background. In other words, heaven.

The plant is like photo film. It's turning color from light exposure. The covering leaf leaves a negative image on the leaf below it.
light1.jpeg
IMG_7876.jpeg

End of week 6. The tent smells like it's full of overripe fruit, with a background hint of funk.
View attachment 35627
The fade is on, for some of them. One Character Zero turned from a fruity scent to absolute stink-foot armpit stench, with a hint of fruit in the background. In other words, heaven.

The plant is like photo film. It's turning color from light exposure. The covering leaf leaves a negative image on the leaf below it.
View attachment 35634
View attachment 35635
My last grow I noted that leaves directly under [ shaded] by another leave had different color like what you are seeing~!
Wild for sure. Kind let me know what was happening with the fade was meant to be and not some shortcoming of mine.
Tent looks great~!:cool:

My last grow I noted that leaves directly under [ shaded] by another leave had different color like what you are seeing~!
Wild for sure. Kind let me know what was happening with the fade was meant to be and not some shortcoming of mine.
Tent looks great~!:cool:
This one and her sister are the only ones doing this. Seems to be in the genes.

Back
Top Bottom