Hello all

Diverge

Stoned Scientist
Reaction score
Two years ago I joined another forum and came across some guys really into science and technology. I really enjoyed reading their posts and learning from them, since I am also a big tech geek.

Then like a year later, when I was starting my 2nd grow I noticed one of my favorite tech type guys disappeared. Not sure what he drama was all about, but I was sad.

40 days ago I started my 3rd grow and noticed a few other people I followed had disappeared as well. So I began searching the internet for them. I thought I found you guys on ICMAG, so I registered only to find out no activity since April. I searched more and low and behold it looks like I found the new home you all created.

Anyway, I'm happy have found you guys!

My setup is currently as follows:
4x4 tent
Scynce Raging Kush II w/ Echo Air, apogee epar sensor, and temp and humidity sensor as a failsafe.

Between each grow I try to improve my system to make my life easier. Eventually I want to automate everything.

For this grow I added a closed loop chiller, going through a wort coil w/antifreeze. And also added Atlas-Scientific hydroponics senors (pH,EC, Temp, DO) through a PVC tee manifold right off the pump. And switched to Jacks 321.

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_231526835.jpg
    PXL_20231112_231526835.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20231008_204338065.jpg
    PXL_20231008_204338065.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20231015_205508657.jpg
    PXL_20231015_205508657.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20231127_175855055.jpg
    PXL_20231127_175855055.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 17
Wow you took the long way here~!:D
ICMAG was just some of us trying to stay in touch differently than before.
Your investigative skills are impressive.
Stoked to have you here~!
Welcome to Bud Builders.(y)

I'm on day 39 of my current grow, Ethos Peach Crescendo Autos. Both plants have been taking off like monsters and pretty much outgrew my tent multiple times so far. A week ago I tied the top colas down, since they were getting too tall. Today I just tied down all the colas, and defoliated the lower are (not in pics). I'll defoliate more of the mid/top area once the colas bend back towards the light.

People usually say autos are small, or weak and can't handle stress. But for whatever reason all mine have become huge, and always stress me out when I run out of tent.

During stretch, which I think is pretty much over now, they sucked down my nutrient levels so much I kept needing to strengthen them more. Currently at 1.68 EC. Epar sensor reading 900pfd on 18/6 cycle. CO2 averages 800-900, naturally.

I used to go crazy, logging so much info each day into a spreadsheet. Now I just do it once a day, since I have my sensors data logging to ThinkSpeak.

Attachments

• PXL_20240101_183728085.jpg
    PXL_20240101_183728085.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240101_191604443.jpg
    PXL_20240101_191604443.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240101-155216.png
    Screenshot_20240101-155216.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 23
Two years ago I joined another forum and came across some guys really into science and technology. I really enjoyed reading their posts and learning from them, since I am also a big tech geek.

Then like a year later, when I was starting my 2nd grow I noticed one of my favorite tech type guys disappeared. Not sure what he drama was all about, but I was sad.

40 days ago I started my 3rd grow and noticed a few other people I followed had disappeared as well. So I began searching the internet for them. I thought I found you guys on ICMAG, so I registered only to find out no activity since April. I searched more and low and behold it looks like I found the new home you all created.

4x4 tent
Scynce Raging Kush II w/ Echo Air, apogee epar sensor, and temp and humidity sensor as a failsafe.

Between each grow I try to improve my system to make my life easier. Eventually I want to automate everything.

For this grow I added a closed loop chiller, going through a wort coil w/antifreeze. And also added Atlas-Scientific hydroponics senors (pH,EC, Temp, DO) through a PVC tee manifold right off the pump. And switched to Jacks 321.
Sup glad to have you

Hey Diverge, I guess you found us. Sorry we didn't make it easier on you. I'll look into that.

I remember you were playing with DO a bit, got that all figured out?
Hey Moe, I'm glad I found you all. It may have took a little work, but it was worth it.

I may of bought it back then, but this is my first time using a DO probe. I had a bunch of issues with it. Basically they sent me a defective one, but I didn't find out to almost a year later since I didn't know the value it was outputting uncalibrated indicated something was wrong - it read 0.03 on dry air and it should have been around 9.0 I think. I was planning to redo all my plumbing, so I procrastinated a lot since I really didn't need to start another grow. So it sat in the box after initial setup and testing the data logging to Thing Speak.

The owner gave me a hard time about replacing it after he said he was gonna send a replacement for free but then noticed my order was from 8 months ago. I think he was bullshitting me about saying it was normal to have white milky electrolyte fluid, since the replacement fluid is pretty much clear, and from what I read, as it absorbs oxygen over time and likely turns white and gets ruined if not maintained properly. He told me to buy a new one and he'd hand test it. I told him no thanks.

I was annoyed and wasn't about to buy a new one. Then one day I decided to disconnect the DO probe, load new Arduino code w/o the DO probe, and remove that channel in Thing Speak. Then I found data dating back to when I bought it, outputting the same 0.03 defective value. So I emailed him one more time showing him the screenshots of the data with timestamps to prove it was defective. I said if I was trying to scam him I'd have ordered a new one and just swapped them out, that he should do the right thing. He changed his mind and said he'd hand test one and send it out the next day. He didn't until I reminded him days later. Then he finally sends a replacement and it's messed up in different ways. The SMA connector wasn't crimped and would fall off. It didn't output the right values for dry air, but at least wasn't stuck. It had white chunks in he electrolyte fluid. I emailed him about it and he never replied.

I bought more replacement electrolyte fluid but haven't gotten around to flushing it to see if I can get it working correctly.

Sorry for the long post.

TLDR, don't buy atlas-scientific DO probes... their other probes works good though.

Hey Moe, I'm glad I found you all. It may have took a little work, but it was worth it.

I may of bought it back then, but this is my first time using a DO probe. I had a bunch of issues with it. Basically they sent me a defective one, but I didn't find out to almost a year later since I didn't know the value it was outputting uncalibrated indicated something was wrong - it read 0.03 on dry air and it should have been around 9.0 I think. I was planning to redo all my plumbing, so I procrastinated a lot since I really didn't need to start another grow. So it sat in the box after initial setup and testing the data logging to Thing Speak.

The owner gave me a hard time about replacing it after he said he was gonna send a replacement for free but then noticed my order was from 8 months ago. I think he was bullshitting me about saying it was normal to have white milky electrolyte fluid, since the replacement fluid is pretty much clear, and from what I read, as it absorbs oxygen over time and likely turns white and gets ruined if not maintained properly. He told me to buy a new one and he'd hand test it. I told him no thanks.

I was annoyed and wasn't about to buy a new one. Then one day I decided to disconnect the DO probe, load new Arduino code w/o the DO probe, and remove that channel in Thing Speak. Then I found data dating back to when I bought it, outputting the same 0.03 defective value. So I emailed him one more time showing him the screenshots of the data with timestamps to prove it was defective. I said if I was trying to scam him I'd have ordered a new one and just swapped them out, that he should do the right thing. He changed his mind and said he'd hand test one and send it out the next day. He didn't until I reminded him days later. Then he finally sends a replacement and it's messed up in different ways. The SMA connector wasn't crimped and would fall off. It didn't output the right values for dry air, but at least wasn't stuck. It had white chunks in he electrolyte fluid. I emailed him about it and he never replied.

I bought more replacement electrolyte fluid but haven't gotten around to flushing it to see if I can get it working correctly.

Sorry for the long post.

TLDR, don't buy atlas-scientific DO probes... their other probes works good though.
I'm a little confused here, are you looking at DO in air? Or is this an atmospheric O2 probe.

I run both from Atlas myself.

If DO, it should be reading somewhere around 8 in water at normal atmospheric pressures. Not sure what it would read in air, not designed for that.

4x4 tent

Glad you found the new hangout.

Welcome, look forward to seeing your grow. 👍

I'm a little confused here, are you looking at DO in air? Or is this an atmospheric O2 probe.

I run both from Atlas myself.

If DO, it should be reading somewhere around 8 in water at normal atmospheric pressures. Not sure what it would read in air, not designed for that.
I'm using it in a hydroponics system. Cal when dry in air it's supposed to read a certain value, around 9 I believe.

There's 2 ways to calibrate the DO probe. Single point, dry air cal. And then 2 point dry air and then a no-oxygen solution. From what I read the single point dry air calibration is supposedly good enough. I'm not doing anything critical with the data. It's just a reference for me to see if anything changes over time, etc.

The replacement probe that he hand tested read around 6 when dry in air, and less when in water. I plan to flush it with new electrolyte fluid until I stop seeing white stuff come out of it and see if I can get it working correctly.

Have you ever seen white stuff in yours?

I'm using it in a hydroponics system. Cal when dry in air it's supposed to read a certain value, around 9 I believe.

There's 2 ways to calibrate the DO probe. Single point, dry air cal. And then 2 point dry air and then a no-oxygen solution. From what I read the single point dry air calibration is supposedly good enough. I'm not doing anything critical with the data. It's just a reference for me to see if anything changes over time, etc.

The replacement probe that he hand tested read around 6 when dry in air, and less when in water. I plan to flush it with new electrolyte fluid until I stop seeing white stuff come out of it and see if I can get it working correctly.

Have you ever seen white stuff in yours?
Not that I remember. Not at home now, I'll look closer this weekend and get back to you.

I moved to the PC version of the software, raspberry Pi just couldn't handle the ram / processing requirements.

Not that I remember. Not at home now, I'll look closer this weekend and get back to you.

I moved to the PC version of the software, raspberry Pi just couldn't handle the ram / processing requirements.
I'm using one of their Hydroponics systems, which is basically just an esp32/Arduino. It doesn't do any data processing or retention, just spits out data via rs232/USB connection, and datalogs to Thingspeak via wifi.

Attached is a screenshot of the app I use on my phone to view the ThingSpeak server data. The DO probe isn't in my hydro system right now. It's just sitting on my table in dry air for now, until I attempt to fix it. I'll probably get to it this weekend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105-123855.png
    Screenshot_20240105-123855.png
    84 KB · Views: 7
I have a bunch of questions about my current grow, and ideas and things I want to implement into my hydroponics system. I'll eventually get to writing something up.

But rather than create a bunch of new threads I figure I'd just ask about one of them here.

Has anyone ever used one of these types of fluid level sensors?

I bought one, and a little dongle board with a precision circuit that converts the mA current output into a 0-5v signal to feed into a micro processor input - I plan to use an Arduino to test with.

I'm not sure if stuff in my reservoir, like air stoles, my wort coil, or bio filter will mess with it or not. I'll test it in another empty bucket of water to see how it works and how accurate it is. Then if it interferes with the stuff in my reservoir I might just plumb in an additional bulkhead (2-3"), toss on a PVC 90 degree elbow and tube going up and drop it in.

If all goes well, I'll then use one of the free gpios on my atlas-scientific hydroponics logger to send the data to another channel on ThingSpeak. Then if all that works well I'll use the data and another free gpio to control a solenoid controlled valve to maybe use for automatic topping off of that reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom