Buzzking’s RDWC clone grow

What you have there is classic calcium deficiency after the flip. It shows up worse in RDWC than soil.

At this stage you need to be more like 1:1 with cal mag and the others.

Get it caught up and you will be fine.

Lemme grab you a chart to explain, brb

Edit - look at this

View attachment 39520

You have a spike in Cal requirements when you flip. I like to up the cal mag a couple weeks before the flip.

Totally recoverable, don't sweat it.

What you have there is classic calcium deficiency after the flip. It shows up worse in RDWC than soil.

At this stage you need to be more like 1:1 with cal mag and the others.

Get it caught up and you will be fine.
Yeah that’s kind of what I thought it was as well but wanted to throw it out there anyway to confirm. Especially since the two plants from the same pheno are reacting so differently. I’ve been adding about 30ml of cal mag to the water since day one since these were clones and again the past issues.

Will review charts Smoke provided and add some more to this mix and up on next change out as well.

Thanks guys and or gals!

That chart shows 8 weeks of veg. I don’t think you can do that in RDWC in a tent realistically

I think the concept is correct but 8 weeks for the peak is also late imo
True enough, maybe referring to Rootsruler question @8 weeks in dirt is probably more accurate.

As you know, i do veg for 7-8 weeks so the timing on the chart seems to work in my grows and peaks around first week of flower.

In a 4 or 5 week veg do you think calcium needs will also peak around the 1st week?

True enough, maybe referring to Rootsruler question @8 weeks in dirt is probably more accurate.

As you know, i do veg for 7-8 weeks so the timing on the chart seems to work in my grows and peaks around first week of flower.

In a 4 or 5 week veg do you think calcium needs will also peak around the 1st week?
I think calcium needs peak right after to flip to 12 hours on photo plants, whatever week that is. Soil or hydro. It’s the change in hormones caused by light that cause the need.

I think you need to get ahead of the peak and feed calcium at peak levels before the flip or you are constantly playing catch up.

I think both charts are both conceptually correct but the x axis should not have absolute time values because grow styles vary.

I cannot grow trees like you in my tent there just isn’t enough head space. If I vegged 8 weeks I’d have a complete mess on my hands. I think the same would be true with @Buzzking

If you grow like I do, cal mag goes in at the same rate as the N based part of the nute regimen you use from week one and tapers off when the stretch is done, whenever that is, not based on a number of weeks.

I don't do veg long enough to follow those charts. Because I clone they're already a specific height so my veg times are usually around 3 - 4 weeks from when they root before I flip. I like to use stretch as a time for them to complete whatever veg mass I want them to finish at. I guess as long as the clones get a foothold in regards to root development and they can deal with full strength cal/mag I could start application a week before I flip which seems like the safe zone as far as giving the clones enough time to establish a hardy enough root system .

So the problem child Fanta Sea in the back right responded well to the extra cal mag. The one in the front right was stretching too much and getting outta control so decided to bring in another trellis net and add some scrogging to this grow. Here’s how they look after all that…IMG_3484.jpeg
IMG_3483.jpegIMG_3480.jpegIMG_3479.jpegIMG_3481.jpegIMG_3482.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello fellow Bud Builders! Week 4 of flower so good time for an update. As usual it’s getting crowded in my little 4x4 space. Wish I could talk the wife into converting the space into a dedicated grow room by adding a small wall and door but haven’t been able to crack that nut yet so working with what space I have. As you can see it’s a bit crowded as I tend to get emotionally attached to each lower bud until it’s time to sacrifice it for the sake of the ones above the net.

Anyhow I digress time fore the update. Started to get some browning of the leaf tips and my PH was dropping slightly (0.1) day by day so thought best to lower my EC for this water change from 1.2 EC to 1.0 EC or 600ppm to 500ppm whichever you prefer. Keeping calmag at 2ml per gal as I was still getting a few leafs here and there on the Fanta Sea clones showing deficiency like we discussed above but all and all they seem to be doing well and are starting to get sticky so that’s a good thing right!?! 😁

IMG_3509.jpegIMG_3510.jpegIMG_3511.jpegIMG_3513.jpegIMG_3512.jpegIMG_3518.jpegIMG_3520.jpeg

Last edited:
83F

Attachments

• 17070237268342106170286483341672.jpg
    17070237268342106170286483341672.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
So 5 weeks into flower but let my inattention cost me a bit as I did not raise my lights fast enough. Got a little leaf burn and some bleached buds tops on the Fanta Sea on the right but think I have the light high enough now. Sticky buds all around and starting to bulk up nicely.

Been running nutes at 500ppm for the last 2 weeks and seems to have stopped the yellowing of the leaf tips. Still adding 2ml cal mag per liter but will start cutting back after this system change. Other than that everything else on cruise control just keeping PH in check (5.6-6.0 range) and the reservoir and auto top off in check. Tent temps 72F at night 80F during the day RH at ~ 50-55% water temps in check 65-70F
IMG_3552.jpegIMG_3553.jpegIMG_3554.jpegIMG_3556.jpegIMG_3555.jpeg

IMG_3559.jpeg

Still chugging along over here, Monday will mark week 7 of flower.
IMG_3611.jpeg
IMG_3612.jpeg
IMG_3609.jpegIMG_3608.jpegIMG_3610.jpegIMG_3605.jpeg
IMG_3604.jpeg
Dialed back the nutes and cal mag to lower them both as I approach harvest but the The Ethos Fanta Sea in the back right continues to react poorly to the lack of Cal Mag. Thought at first it was light but after raising them a couple weeks ago it had no effect. I have to assume that what I’m seeing is still a need for more cal mag as it’s causing severe browning of the leaves. IMG_3613.jpegIMG_3616.jpegIMG_3617.jpeg

If I had several more weeks of flower I’d be more worried but since I think I’ll finish out in the next week or two based on a close up of the trichomes I’ve decided to just ride it out and try for better next time
2024-02-23-11-21-25-941.jpeg2024-02-23-11-19-39-609.jpeg2024-02-23-11-19-30-662.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm questioning if that is cal/mag def so late in flower when those needs are falling off quite a bit at this time?

I'm questioning if that is cal/mag def so late in flower when those needs are falling off quite a bit at this time?
Yeah not really sure either. As mentioned tried the 2 things I thought it might be but neither had any effect. Kinda throwing my hands up at this point and just take what I get. They are super sticky dense and fragrant so think it’s going to be a decent harvest either way. Would be nice to know what it is though so I could try and avoid it next time

Last edited:
I grow in soil but I'm having similar issues towards the center of the tent. I assume the ppfd is most intense in the areas I'm seeing the yellowing brown spot. All my plants are the same strain all from clone. I'm starting to think it's a LED thing. Researching the issue I had found some people say that LEDs are just different than oldschool hps/cmh and deplete your plant of more magnesium I believe? Maybe it was calcium? Idk stoned right now but the resolve was to up calmag under LEDs.

I have different soil combos running right now but I'm pretty sure the plants have devoured all the nutrients from the soil and are relying on feedings....that's the only variable that could make a difference in it from what I'm seeing....my ppfd is fine as far as my inaccurate phone apps can tell me but i think the hottest spots under my light while not burning my plants, are depleting more mag/cal

Lookin good tho, I'm about 2 weeks out come Sunday (16 days currently). How long you thinking these go? Yours are more green than mine!

Agree with slg about calcium def showing up this late in flwr. Another thing, the experts say calcium is a non mobile nutrient, i think personally its semi mobile.

What i think you have there is a P def because NPK are mobile and what you have there is mobile where calcium not so much. Imo

First though for me seeing picture was P def because of hockey blade hooking of the leaves. Next time around i would increase the P and the K sooner in the cycle

Screenshot_20240224_005718_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edit: you didn't mention what your ph was. If mine id be running the higher side of th ph swing, above 6.0 for sure maybe 6.2

Last edited:
Agree with slg about calcium def showing up this late in flwr. Another thing, the experts say calcium is a non mobile nutrient, i think personally its semi mobile.

What i think you have there is a P def because NPK are mobile and what you have there is mobile where calcium not so much. Imo

First though for me seeing picture was P def because of hockey blade hooking of the leaves. Next time around i would increase the P and the K sooner in the cycle

View attachment 46295

Edit: you didn't mention what your ph was. If mine id be running the higher side of th ph swing, above 6.0 for sure maybe 6.2
Thanks Smoke. That makes sense and will keep in mind on next run. What’s really strange is it’s more the Fanta Sea cutting in the back right that is struggling with it but the cutting from the same mother front right is more tolerant.

I’ve been keeping PH between 5.6 on the low side and 6.0 on the high end

What’s really strange is it’s more the Fanta Sea cutting in the back right that is struggling with it but the cutting from the same mother front right is more tolerant.
Was questioning the same thing with my wife, she explained they are identical twins from the same mother but each has their own personalities

Been chugging along over here and as expected the Carmel Apple Fritterz finished just about in time, harvested those two last Friday at 8 1/2 weeks.
IMG_3663.jpegIMG_3697.jpeg
Decided to keep the Fanta Sea going as the trichomes were still clear at the time. Starting to see a bit more milky ones now and a bit of amber here and there but by no means close to 50/50 amber. Not sure how long I’ll let them go as I’m seeing foxtailing now and the leaves changing all kinds of colors. Gonna just keep watching day by day and hope those trichomes start to turn. Definitely a unique strain with traits I’ve not seen before
2024-03-11-22-06-50-507.jpeg2024-03-11-22-05-47-237.jpegIMG_3658.jpegIMG_3661.jpegIMG_3743.jpegIMG_3744.jpegIMG_3745.jpegIMG_3746.jpegIMG_3748.jpegIMG_3749.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom