In other news, poured some plates today to run a new series of experiments with the pan cyans. Hence, the black plates. Mixed slightly softer agar and added a bit of manure to the mix instead of nutritional yeast. I knew the plates would be very dirty looking since I didn't do any filtering of the media before sterilizing, so half a gram of activated charcoal was added to hide the ugliness.

Other plates are looking fantastic though!
PXL_20231220_005226361.jpgPXL_20231218_235034362.jpg

I did indeed
Very nice. I have been watching stuff all week on constructing one. So do you put the petri right into your grain spawn or do you make a liquid culture and inject it?are those seeded from spores or clones.

Very nice. I have been watching stuff all week on constructing one. So do you put the petri right into your grain spawn or do you make a liquid culture and inject it?are those seeded from spores or clones.
It depends. Lately I've been making LCs as they scale better but with the pan cyans I'll be doing agar to grain.

The pink oyster and lions mane are both clones, everything else originated as multispore.

This is the full "battle station." 24"x36" flowhood sitting on a 4'x4' table. Arguably one of the best investments I've made in this venture.

PXL_20231220_022656614.jpg

Very nice. Do you put your grain spawn in a incubator or just let it grow at room temp?
Room temp, for now. I've been on the hunt for a burn out mini fridge so I can at least maintain temps for agar cultures in a more stable and consistent way.

Still in the fledgling stages on this part of the farm build out, though, so long term I'll have dedicated rooms for each stage, and potentially even specific varieties. For instance, pink oysters and pan cyans are tropical and don't do well in the PNW due to the temps, whereas reishi, lions mane, blue oysters, and cordiceps all can thrive here. So, dedicated spaces will unlock different verticals and give me an edge on the competitors I'll be selling next to.

Room temp, for now. I've been on the hunt for a burn out mini fridge so I can at least maintain temps for agar cultures in a more stable and consistent way.

Still in the fledgling stages on this part of the farm build out, though, so long term I'll have dedicated rooms for each stage, and potentially even specific varieties. For instance, pink oysters and pan cyans are tropical and don't do well in the PNW due to the temps, whereas reishi, lions mane, blue oysters, and cordiceps all can thrive here. So, dedicated spaces will unlock different verticals and give me an edge on the competitors I'll be selling next to.
Get one that is thermoelectric not a compressor if you don't want swings in your humidity. I made that mistake when I was building my drying chamber for canabiss. Every time the compressor kicks on it shoots from 70% to like 35%. check out the temp adjustable humidors for cigars to,they are all most always thermoelectric.

Last edited:
Get one that is thermoelectric not a compressor if you don't swings in your humidity. I made that mistake when I was building my drying chamber for canabiss. Every time the compressor kicks on it shoots from 70% to like 35%. check out the temp adjustable humidors for cigars to,they are all most always thermoelectric.
Great call out. I'm not terribly worried about humidity with the agar plates, but it can be an issue with spawn. Given the scale I plan to get to, I rather not have the spawn in the house at all. CO2 becomes a serious issue at scale and my other ventures simply won't be able to compete.

Nice set up.realy inspiring. Buds look beyond amazing 👏
Appreciate that. They're coming down this weekend. Trichomes have clouded up and I'm seeing amber in more places so I'm just giving them a few days to ripen and eliminate any remaining nutrients in the media. First smoke reports should come out mid January, maybe early February depending how soon I choose to let samples go out.

Lol sorry to drill ya with so many questions. I have messed around with mushroom cultivation in the past.i hunt the wild ones when I can . I have been thinking about getting back into it.
I have actually been catching and breeding old growth forest microbes (fungi and bacteria)the last few years.it all realy amazes me.

Lol sorry to drill ya with so many questions. I have messed around with mushroom cultivation in the past.i hunt the wild ones when I can . I have been thinking about getting back into it.
I have actually been catching and breeding old growth forest microbes (fungi and bacteria)the last few years.it all realy amazes me.
All good man. I got into mycology as a teenager just looking to get high, but now it's become a core component to how I intend on building out the farm on my land.

Sure, I'll continue to grow the actives on a small scale but the edibles and medicinals are critical to the overall food forest I aspire to build. Having a clean stream of air was an absolute necessity to make the most basic building block of the soil web a reality.

Everything else from that point is just old habits being used for good in a lot of ways.

Preview of the goods. Trim jail continues but I have bigger trees to worry about and the garage has made for a rather good dry/cure space while I drag ass on getting these donePXL_20240103_200824941.jpg

Wow! The multi coloring throughout the flower is really nice. Great job!

Seeing that photo reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite philosophers....

"All I want are some tasty buds and some cool waves!" - Jeff Spicoli

Back
Top Bottom