Trying to help a friend

SpectrumFarms

Chronic Chemist
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
I’m stumped. Trying to help a friend diagnose his issues in coco. The tacoing is what’s got me stumped. The temps haven’t been above 75F the light is at 10% and at canopy the light level is at 9K lux and the light is about 28 inches above canopy.

IMG_6806.jpeg

My dad always used to point to the corn behind our house growing up when it would be tacoing and say "needs rain bad"

I'm no coco grower but I do know most people water coco daily if not twice a day. A friend was working at a grow facility using coco and they were always drip feeding the plants to keep the coco moist...it goes anaerobic (I think that's the term) if it gets too dry and becomes toxic to the plant...

My guess is underwatered for this reason but it's pure speculation at this point as I'm not a coco grower....so definitely seek other opinions

My dad always used to point to the corn behind our house growing up when it would be tacoing and say "needs rain bad"

I'm no coco grower but I do know most people water coco daily if not twice a day. A friend was working at a grow facility using coco and they were always drip feeding the plants to keep the coco moist...it goes anaerobic (I think that's the term) if it gets too dry and becomes toxic to the plant...

My guess is underwatered for this reason but it's pure speculation at this point as I'm not a coco grower....so definitely seek other opinions
I'll have to ask him about his watering regiment. Thanks

I’m stumped. Trying to help a friend diagnose his issues in coco. The tacoing is what’s got me stumped. The temps haven’t been above 75F the light is at 10% and at canopy the light level is at 9K lux and the light is about 28 inches above canopy.

View attachment 61378
Looks really dry for coco but I'm no coco grower.
@Nesta @Observer @ZombieRider
They all grow in coco so maybe they will chime in soon
I think @Mad Max is in coco too

Looks really dry for coco but I'm no coco grower.
@Nesta @Observer @ZombieRider
They all grow in coco so maybe they will chime in soon
I think @Mad Max is in coco too
He said he’s watering 2 times a day. I also pointed out it looked dry he said he was in the process of potting up and watered afterwards.

View attachment 61378
Does look a bit dry and what is RH

Lack of water, generally results in droopy plants in my experience. Do you know nutess? PPM’s fed? EC? Ph? I have never measured light in Lux, so can’t help much there
He runs Lotus cal-mag and grow 1.5 EC, 2 weeks from sprout 5.8-6.2 pH

This thread is a good read on coco

This thread is a good read on coco

@Aqua Man doing alright these days Moe? Haven't seen him around in a while, I know he had a lot happening.

I'd Increase temps closer to 85 if possible, keep the RH at 60-75% and 1.0 - 1.5 e.c @ 5.5-5.9 pH

Allow the media to dry back but not completely, water 50mL or so, not sure on the container size/media volume.

I reached out to @Aqua Man and @ZombieRider , hopefully they can swing by for a minute. I'd try to help but I got no coco experience to speak of. My only guess would be lower EC but more frequent watering. Like on a timer more frequent. Keep it moist almost constantly.

Maybe @SpectrumFarms can have his buddy join the conversation.

I reached out to @Aqua Man and @ZombieRider , hopefully they can swing by for a minute. I'd try to help but I got no coco experience to speak of. My only guess would be lower EC but more frequent watering. Like on a timer more frequent. Keep it moist almost constantly.

I can, try he’s not the most tech savvy guy.

You rang brother?

Agree with moe.1.5 ec is high for 2 weeks old .id cut that down to 350ppm. and he should b watering to run off 20-30% daily.. .they are very dry ,you can see the coco has shrunk away from the pot..apart from that they seem to b growing well for 2 weeks so things aren’t all that bad..I wouldnt b worried bout a little tacoeing early on.

Agree with moe.1.5 ec is high for 2 weeks old .id cut that down to 350ppm. and he should b watering to run off 20-30% daily.. .they are very dry ,you can see the coco has shrunk away from the pot..apart from that they seem to b growing well for 2 weeks so things aren’t all that bad..I wouldnt b worried bout a little tacoeing early on.
sorry, but i dont think 1.5 E.C is necessarily high in this scenario , i bet i could put those plants in my tent at 85f/75rh, 300-400 ppfd and feed 1.5-2.0 E.C

also running HFF, means more fertigation's..... any left over salts get pushed out, in theory. on a proper fertigation schedule anyways...
but yes, they could be ran at 1.0 ec too.

that VPD is kinda fucked 69-75f with 65rh, VPD also affects nute uptake.

they are light green and just barely showing nute burn signs on the tips.

can they check the run off e.c/ph

@SkinnieP

Last edited:
This ☝️

sorry, i dont think so.

you could give them 3.0 or 5.0 E.C Solution.

its the Water Content thats really important

once you have a "HARD" dry back with 5.0 E.C then problems occur fast from "nute burn"

as the water content drops, and any unused ions/salts remain, E.C spikes, Frequent fertigation keeps this E.C down

thats where the "DRAIN" to WASTE comes from in DTW HFF.

i can not let incorrect info or context slide down in a grow forum, let alone HERE.

i grow in coco or rockwool or water, my last grow i JUST harvested I DID NOT WATER TILL RUN OFF LIKE EVERYONE HERE IS SAYING,
i kept my e.c and pH in check for the most part, alongside WATER CONTENT %

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom