What's Cookin?

Been a spell since I had a Sunday dinner throw down. Made this spread up for 'Dega.

Steamed tails with garlic butter. Sous vide tenderloins at 135F for three hours then seared with my flame thrower in the cast iron with butter and drippings. Texas garlic toast with and without blue cheese. Lobster & 5 cheese mac baked in cast iron and a side of creamed spinach

View attachment 23769

View attachment 23770
Love our sous vide

Been a spell since I had a Sunday dinner throw down. Made this spread up for 'Dega.

Steamed tails with garlic butter. Sous vide tenderloins at 135F for three hours then seared with my flame thrower in the cast iron with butter and drippings. Texas garlic toast with and without blue cheese. Lobster & 5 cheese mac baked in cast iron and a side of creamed spinach

View attachment 23769

View attachment 23770
I shouldn’t have looked at that, doing the OMAD diet, and hungry as balls right now.
That couldn’t look any better.

I shouldn’t have looked at that, doing the OMAD diet, and hungry as balls right now.
That couldn’t look any better.
Drink more water. When I was on Keto I realized half the time I thought I was hungry I was actually dehydrated. Coffee works well doing OMAD. It'll keep you from getting hungry. Add in some collagen and butter to your coffee.

Love our sous vide
I got into sous vide about two years ago and it changed my life!
Perfect temp steaks are one thing but getting pork chops to perfection, especially thick cut chops, has always been hard to not over cook. Sous vide cured all that and now I make some of the best chops around.
Poached eggs too...I could never do a good poached egg but now with a sous vide, perfection every time!

Even though it's a bread machine, I've been pumping out some good looking bread since I got it a month ago

This one came out this morning
View attachment 23813

I can't make a good pizza dough without my bread maker!!! we've had the same one for over 15 years now and still does a perfect job!!!

p.s. we have the same cutting boards!!! :D

DSCN1171.JPG

I can't make a good pizza dough without my bread maker!!! we've had the same one for over 15 years now and still does a perfect job!!!

p.s. we have the same cutting boards!!! :D

View attachment 23877
At first I thought I was looking at my photo with the bread photoshopped out! Lol

Edit, a great add to pizza dough is garlic clove and fresh Parmesan (not the stuff in the shaker)

Garlic butter broccoli lemon pepper seasoned chicken as well

Salt
Pepper
Some steak/grill seasoning

Attachments

• 16965493275881558716140099342804.jpg
    16965493275881558716140099342804.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 16965493435315614455034913619387.jpg
    16965493435315614455034913619387.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Aaand she just dumps it out lol

Eating better than me, im too "busy" to eat.

Attachments

• 16965494134762692617387991216280.jpg
    16965494134762692617387991216280.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Off the smoker yesterday...thick cut bacon wrapped quail breast medallions and mango habanero hog wings.

My wife really liked the quail but I didn't tell her it was quail because if she knew she wouldn't have tried it. She don't like to eat game meat but she just grabbed one and had at it then raved about how delicious it was. I'm thinking of telling her, "Babe, remember that time you ate venison but didn't know it and liked it? Well now, you like quail." :devilish:

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

I would much rather look at this thread than any pot thread........great job guys!
Tends to give ya the munchies just the same 😂

I would much rather look at this thread than any pot thread........great job guys!
Tends to give ya the munchies just the same
Off the smoker yesterday...thick cut bacon wrapped quail breast medallions and mango habanero hog wings.

My wife really liked the quail but I didn't tell her it was quail because if she knew she wouldn't have tried it. She don't like to eat game meat but she just grabbed one and had at it then raved about how delicious it was. I'm thinking of telling her, "Babe, remember that time you ate venison but didn't know it and liked it? Well now, you like quail." :devilish:

View attachment 24553

View attachment 24552
we did pork belly bbq! Bacon and bbq sauce winner !

Quail is cheap here .

Attachments

• IMG_0172.png
    IMG_0172.png
    606.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0628.mov
    14.4 MB
  • IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Tends to give ya the munchies just the same

we did pork belly bbq! Bacon and bbq sauce winner !

Quail is cheap here .

Quail is a little on the spendy side here considering the farm is local. I pay $15/lb and can get either whole birds, legs, or de-boned breasts. The legs and breasts are my fave both in flavor and ways to cook. Whole birds are little more trouble than they're worth.

Today for prerace meal I fried up some softshell crab to make sandwiches and have a special sauce for them 😋

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

We always go to my parents house for Sunday funday’s. Can I just tell y’all how much I love a meal cooked by my mom and not having to adult for a night!!! It’s such a break.
CDF50D17-9746-4241-B350-D9FE88E46E99.jpeg

Thank you from a grown child to all you parents out there that still take care of your kids and give them a break❤️❤️ I’m sure y’all are loved for it

Quail is a little on the spendy side here considering the farm is local. I pay $15/lb and can get either whole birds, legs, or de-boned breasts. The legs and breasts are my fave both in flavor and ways to cook. Whole birds are little more trouble than they're worth.

Today for prerace meal I fried up some softshell crab to make sandwiches and have a special sauce for them 😋

View attachment 24577

View attachment 24578
Softies are one of my favorite things to eat in the world!! Jealous of you 🤣🤣

View attachment 24553

View attachment 24552
I get a lot of people who “don’t like the flavor of game meat” to eat it just by saying it’s something else. Then they’re hooked 🤷🏼‍♂️ My wife never had any of it growing up so I’d just slip it in here or there now we eat it 3 times a week in different forms

Heirloom tomato update!

Many of you have been longing to find out about the new (to me) heirloom tomatoes I grew this year. This is tomato builders, isn't it? Something like that?

So here we go. This will be the last time I grow Black Krim, even though they taste really good. The damned things are hopeless crack addicts.
IMG_7711.jpeg
They're red/green/black inside and taste salty. I was on guard for cracks, but got them anyway.

The red one next to it is called Delicious. They taste good and produce a ton. The issue is they're soft, even before they're ripe. They were OK by me, but my wife hates soft tomatoes.

I grew a couple of yellows as well. Here we have one called Orange Strawberry.
IMG_7796.jpeg
IMG_7797.jpeg
They are heart-shaped, coming to a point at the bottom, which is where the strawberry part of the name came from. No strawberry flavor. The issue with them is that they are too meaty. If you are a tomato fan, you know that most of the flavor is in that gelatinous stuff around the seeds. Not enough gelatinous stuff, not enough flavor. The parts with seeds are tangy and delicious, but there is too much without seeds. Also, this was a low producer.

The other yellow slicer is Dad's Sunset.
IMG_7798.jpeg
This one was more well-balanced regarding seeds and meatiness. Flavors are subtle, but taste sort of tropical fruity. It's an easy grow and produces a lot. My neighbors don't seem to trust yellow tomatoes, but this was my go-to sandwich tomato this season. Lots of BLTs this past month.

We also grew a lot of Roma tomatoes for sauce, as I am a fresh tomato sauce fanatic. We actually grow twice as many Roma plants as slicer tomato plants. This year it was San Marzano and Italian Gold. San Marzano is the classic Italian sauce tomato. Most sauce made was a combo of the two tomatoes, but we also did a batch of pure San Marzano and pure Italian Gold.

The San Marzano sauce and the combination sauce both KICK ASS! The gold alone was good, but flavors were milder. Also, it's gold. I think people expect tomato sauce to be red and might be put off. What it probably lends itself to is some creative cooking. It can take other flavors without hiding them behind a strong tomato taste. I'll have a few months to think about what I'd add to it before I decide to grow them again.

If you think you want to get into growing Romas and plum tomatoes for sauce, this is my opinion of the ones I've tried so far:

1. San Marzano - large tomatoes, as Romas go. They're probably 5-7 inches long. Great classic tomato sauce.
  2. San Martino - small Romas, but they produce a TON. They make great sauce. I will have to grow them at the same time as San Marzano next year and compare the two.
  3. Milano Plum - These are good, but not as flavorful as the two mentioned above. They also don't produce as much. I won't grow them again, because the Martinos and Marzanos are better in both flavor and yield.
  4. Italian Gold - as mentioned above, they are milder in flavor than the San sisters. Someone who knows more about cooking than I do could probably producing amazing sauces with it.
  5. Russian Roma - I grow Romas for sauce, and this tomato is a nightmare to de-seed. It seems like they were grown both for sauce and for slicing tomatoes. They are larger than San Marzanos, which are pretty big, but I'd never waste space in my garden on them again.

I don't like seeds in sauce, but I do want all that gelatinous stuff around the seeds to be in the sauce. Most Romas are fairly easy to de-seed. They have 3 or 4 chambers with seeds and you can scoop the seeds out and put them in a strainer to get the gelatinous stuff separated from the seeds, very easily. Russians SUCK FOR DE-SEEDING. They have half a zillion seed chambers throughout the tomato, without rhyme or reason. The hell with them.

My heirlooms died. I'm gonna try again, maybe do a tomato run in the tent if I can get a weed surplus going. I love Brandywines with some quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Heirloom tomato update!

Many of you have been longing to find out about the new (to me) heirloom tomatoes I grew this year. This is tomato builders, isn't it? Something like that?

So here we go. This will be the last time I grow Black Krim, even though they taste really good. The damned things are hopeless crack addicts.
View attachment 24973
They're red/green/black inside and taste salty. I was on guard for cracks, but got them anyway.

The red one next to it is called Delicious. They taste good and produce a ton. The issue is they're soft, even before they're ripe. They were OK by me, but my wife hates soft tomatoes.

View attachment 24974
View attachment 24975
They are heart-shaped, coming to a point at the bottom, which is where the strawberry part of the name came from. No strawberry flavor. The issue with them is that they are too meaty. If you are a tomato fan, you know that most of the flavor is in that gelatinous stuff around the seeds. Not enough gelatinous stuff, not enough flavor. The parts with seeds are tangy and delicious, but there is too much without seeds. Also, this was a low producer.

View attachment 24976
This one was more well-balanced regarding seeds and meatiness. Flavors are subtle, but taste sort of tropical fruity. It's an easy grow and produces a lot. My neighbors don't seem to trust yellow tomatoes, but this was my go-to sandwich tomato this season. Lots of BLTs this past month.

We also grew a lot of Roma tomatoes for sauce, as I am a fresh tomato sauce fanatic. We actually grow twice as many Roma plants as slicer tomato plants. This year it was San Marzano and Italian Gold. San Marzano is the classic Italian sauce tomato. Most sauce made was a combo of the two tomatoes, but we also did a batch of pure San Marzano and pure Italian Gold.

The San Marzano sauce and the combination sauce both KICK ASS! The gold alone was good, but flavors were milder. Also, it's gold. I think people expect tomato sauce to be red and might be put off. What it probably lends itself to is some creative cooking. It can take other flavors without hiding them behind a strong tomato taste. I'll have a few months to think about what I'd add to it before I decide to grow them again.

If you think you want to get into growing Romas and plum tomatoes for sauce, this is my opinion of the ones I've tried so far:

1. San Marzano - large tomatoes, as Romas go. They're probably 5-7 inches long. Great classic tomato sauce.
  2. San Martino - small Romas, but they produce a TON. They make great sauce. I will have to grow them at the same time as San Marzano next year and compare the two.
  3. Milano Plum - These are good, but not as flavorful as the two mentioned above. They also don't produce as much. I won't grow them again, because the Martinos and Marzanos are better in both flavor and yield.
  4. Italian Gold - as mentioned above, they are milder in flavor than the San sisters. Someone who knows more about cooking than I do could probably producing amazing sauces with it.
  5. Russian Roma - I grow Romas for sauce, and this tomato is a nightmare to de-seed. It seems like they were grown both for sauce and for slicing tomatoes. They are larger than San Marzanos, which are pretty big, but I'd never waste space in my garden on them again.

I don't like seeds in sauce, but I do want all that gelatinous stuff around the seeds to be in the sauce. Most Romas are fairly easy to de-seed. They have 3 or 4 chambers with seeds and you can scoop the seeds out and put them in a strainer to get the gelatinous stuff separated from the seeds, very easily. Russians SUCK FOR DE-SEEDING. They have half a zillion seed chambers throughout the tomato, without rhyme or reason. The hell with them.
Nice tomatoes! Even better that you use Cutco knives👊🏼👊🏼
Theyre nice knives, I have their entire block.

Heirloom tomato update!

View attachment 24973

View attachment 24974
View attachment 24975

View attachment 24976

Dem some nice looken tomaters!

Heirloom tomato update!

View attachment 24973

View attachment 24974
View attachment 24975

View attachment 24976

great info! i'll be growing some heirlooms (or trying) next season. super excited to make a boatload of homemade sauce. my daughter's old enough to learn the recipe, and i'll tell ya what, cleaning up all the those maters will be sooooo much more convenient when it's not me doing haha
Tree rats make the best soups/stews man.
Looks delicious 😋
imma have to hide this post from my ol lady. she'll find you and hang you alive my guy lol

My heirlooms died. I'm gonna try again, maybe do a tomato run in the tent if I can get a weed surplus going. I love Brandywines with some quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Brandywines are great.

Back
Top Bottom